Prince of Persia Now Highest-Grossing Game Movie Ever

Prince of Persia Now Highest-Grossing Game Movie Ever

Despite an initial lower-than-hoped-for turn at the box office, Prince Dastan has bounded past Lara Croft as the highest-grossing videogame star to make it on the big screen yet.

The Prince of Persia might not quite be the new Captain Jack Sparrow that producer Jerry Bruckheimer was hoping for, but he's done well enough for himself so far.

According to Box Office Mojo, Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time now has a worldwide box office gross of $293.9 million, officially passing the $274.7 million mark set by Angelina Jolie's Lara Croft Tomb Raider in 2001.

Of course, accounting for A.) inflation and B.) that Persia cost a whopping $200m to produce, the Prince may still have a bit further to go to be considered as successful as Ms. Croft.

(Via Edge)

How funny, I just read in Time Magazine how it was a flop. Guess they were only checking opening box office revenue. Hopefully it will make a bit more money, even though the movie business seems like it will be taking a turn for the worst for a bit.

I thought it was pretty entertaining.

This may have been largely due to Gemma Arterton being Beautifull.

Alright! Well deserved too, best Video Game based film ever.

No really, it is!

Calumon: Does that mean that Jake Gyllen-mcdurpadurp will be in another one?

Wahful:

Pretty much that. It was a fairly enjoyable swashbuckler, but was cheesy and predictable. But alos kicks Super Mario Bros. to the curb.

Yes! Now all we need to make is a DECENT ff movie and I will have no need to whatch films again
as in one true to the games with chocabos, magic and stuff...
AND NO GHOST ALIENS!

Fallen-Angel Risen-Demon:
Yes! Now all we need to make is a DECENT ff movie and I will have no need to whatch films again
AND NO GHOST ALIENS!

Pac Man: The Movie

In all seriousness, I'm glad to hear Prince of Persia did so well. Hopefully with DVD sales and licensing for rentals and such, they'll make enough money to work on a sequel!

well, we've proven that we can actually make a good movie based on a game. weeee.

It was decent, nothing more. I was pretty surprised it didn't do better though.

Decent film was decent and did decently for a game based film, HOLY SHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm very glad it went well, I personally loved the movie. So apart from PoP and Tomb Raider are there any game adaptions that went well? It's late here and my brain isn't functioning. All I can think of is the Resident Evil movies and Pokemon.

Well, it did seem to be well reacted from people outside the gamer sphere, so, not surprised

Well done though!

Yay!......I guess.

The movie was kind of easy to make out of the game, but its still a great accomplishment.

Well....it's sorta flopping domectically. I don't think it's hit the 100 million mark in the US yet. It's budget was just too large. I liked the movie. Pretty entertaining and kept the spirit of the game. I'm glad to hear when combined with overseas numbers it's doing fairly well.

I quite enjoyed it. It was predictable and stuff but then these days you can say that about any movie.

I especially like how true they stayed to the original characters design (down to the little red scarf on his belt and everything.)

It was an alright movie, I'm just hoping that it keeps making enough money that people with enough money/talent start making game movies, as I still think (despite the evidence) that their are good movies to be made from games.

Also, timesplitter the movie! Can who could possibly play vin di... Cortez?

Can... Can the circle possibly be broken? 'Cause that would be so sweet. I see no reason why a movie based on a game has to be bad, and as far as I'm concerned we've just had a streak of bad luck so far.

Man, I'd love it if more games were converted into movies. It allows the game to flesh out the universe so much more.

now all we need is that fan made mortal kombat movie and that fan made street fighter short movies.. and well be good.

SteelStallion:
I quite enjoyed it. It was predictable and stuff but then these days you can say that about any movie.

I especially like how true they stayed to the original characters design (down to the little red scarf on his belt and everything.)

i have a feeling this halloween its gonna be the next new hit for costumes

OT: im glad its doing well, i was pleasantly suprised and i really liked it, so kudos to them for making money.

i think why it didn't do so well at first was everyone was so skeptical of it they didn't go to see it, so in the later weeks they probably kept it going pretty well with word of mouth going around

Alar:

AND NO GHOST ALIENS!

In all seriousness, I'm glad to hear Prince of Persia did so well. Hopefully with DVD sales and licensing for rentals and such, they'll make enough money to work on a sequel!

No, Tetris the movie. =P

I thought it was pretty piss poor tbh. Mind you I can't stand any movie that has Gemma Arterton in as her acting is shite (doesn't mean to say I wouldn't kick her back doors in tho).

Deofuta:
How funny, I just read in Time Magazine how it was a flop. Guess they were only checking opening box office revenue. Hopefully it will make a bit more money, even though the movie business seems like it will be taking a turn for the worst for a bit.

It was a flop in the USA, where it was only able to make about $80 million which is pretty poor. Still, I do not know why the fact that the film did badly in the USA is of any importance; overall the film made a profit, and $100 million at that which is a lot of money either way. I would be happy with the result!

Anyways, im glad it did well. I found the film fun and entertaining, about as much as i was expecting from it!

I enjoyed it. It wasn't a total blast or a very poor movie but your fairly cake. Medicore, above average somewhat. Entertaining movie, all I can say.

The dialogue between Prince & Princess remain priceless though.

The fact that didn't take long speaks volumes

Alar:

AND NO GHOST ALIENS!

On topic, I haven't watched the movie yet. However, hearing this news gives me yet another reason to go see it.

I didn't see the movie, mainly because I think that the acrobatic stuff won't be as good as it is in the games. I didn't see much of that in the trailer, but maybe I'll go see it now.

Just went to see it last night. Pretty good; nothing revolutionary or likely to light the world on fire, but it was a fun romp. Dialogue had a cheese factor that towered about skyscrapers though...

I'll help by buying the DVD when it comes out!

I mean, I really enjoyed the movie

Wahful:

...okay you got me there hahaha

Hey, glad to hear that's it's done so well. I really enjoyed it, though I must admit that I haven't played any of the games for myself.

Though, it's certainly gotten my interest in playing the games...I just don't know what order they would go in.

I have this to say about the Prince of Persia: It has the runny-jumpy-climby, it has the dagger looking close to what it originally was, it has the plot going through similiar motions to sands of time but with still some noticeable differences, and a funny guy who runs an ostrich race circuit plus some funny one liners.

It was fun, and i liked it ^^

Well that was a pretty terrible film I just watched

Can't believe it made $300m

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook