Resident Evil 3DS Runs On RE5, Marvel 3 Engine

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Resident Evil 3DS Runs On RE5, Marvel 3 Engine

Just how powerful is the 3DS? Apparently, it's powerful enough to run the engine that powered last year's Resident Evil 5, at the very least.

Earlier this month, it was rumored that Nintendo's upcoming 3DS would be more powerful than the Wii, and in fact closer in line to the "HD consoles" in this generation of the wars. Last week, we saw the handheld in action, and found out that yes, it did in fact have quite a bit of power under its 3D-capable hood.

In fact, according to a report from Japanese gaming site 4Gamer translated by Andriasang, the 3DS is beefy enough to run a modified version of Capcom's MT Framework platform - the engine that powered games like Resident Evil 5, Lost Planet 2 and the recently-announced Marvel vs. Capcom 3.

That would explain why the trailer you see here for Resident Evil: Revelations looked so damn good. I mean yeah, it's a cutscene and not gameplay - and as such could always be pre-rendered instead of created in the in-game engine - but seriously, guys. For a handheld, this looks damn good.

After a generation with the DS being technically outclassed by the PSP and the Wii by the Xbox 360 and PS3, it's almost surprising to see a Nintendo product with muscle behind it. Surprising in a good way, of course.

(Via G4TV)

Wow. When I first heard that it would be almost as powerful as the PS3 and 360, I was ready to hit the BS button. After seeing some screens I thought that it was probably just pre-rendered screens, but the more and more I see of it, the better it looks.

Color me: Impressed.

Well, I may just buy this. That cutscene looked better than a Wii one. (That isn't an opening cutscene)

Haha, the dialog is laughable, as always. But in a good way.

Can't wait for the 3DS. I must say, I was impressed. Not by the graphics, but by the amount of kick-ass games that are coming out for it.

Still, the graphical capabilities are impressive if that is indeed the real deal.

The second they unveiled it, and showed Kid Icarus, which I believed was a Wii game until the minute after the video that I was told it's a 3DS game, I was sold.

Even if it didn't have graphics as good as they're pushing them to be, I'm sure graphics may surely even improve with time (or at least some specific games might push the envelope). But I've already decided to get one, so eh. It will get a new Kingdom Hearts game, after all! Squee! Even if it'd be a remake of the first game, I'd still buy it.

John Funk:
Earlier this month, it was rumored that Nintendo's upcoming 3DS would be more powerful than the Wii,

So is my old toaster... That doesn't mean much.

That said, I've mostly given handhelds one big fat "pass" for... 12 years or so now. But an handheld with working 3D that doesn't need glasses, and strong enough to handle HD? I'm getting intrigued.

I'm afraid the PSP did good handheld graphics several years ago...

Wow.

Why the fuck is the Wii not like this?! Maybe I wouldn't have completely felt like it was the biggest waste of 180 if it could actually create an image without making my eyes bleed.

What.The.Fuck. Why was there two Chris's?

Also wow ... if the 3DS can do that I HAVE to get one.

WrongSprite:

No offence but Liberty City's buildings look like Lego.

I'm now even more worried about the 3DS, it seems to be bigging itself up for a massive fall.

I'm very excited for this. Considering the Resident Evil 5 was beautiful for a console game, the fact that this is on a handheld is amazing.

The best thing about the 3DS I've seen is not the 3D capability, but the huge amount of software heavy hitters coming out for it. Mario Kart, Resident Evil, Street Fighter, OCARINA OF TIME, the thing isn't released yet, and I already have several reasons I'm going to buy it

This is great, but im still pissed at nintendo doing the whole limited supply crap again. GOD DAMMIT NINTENDO I DONT WANT TO WAIT AT 3AM IN THE MORNING TO GET A 3DS. WOULD IT BE SO HARD TO MAKE MORE OF THEM!!!!!!!?!?!?!?!!??

RAGEEEE

The more I see the 3DS, the more the excitement in my calloused heart grows. 3D without glasses, HD graphics, and hopefully a better control stick then the god-awful one they jammed on the PSP?

Yeah, I'm excited. Now they just need to release a price, so I know how much to save.

"Reality to Nintendo, Reality to Nintendo: This is an Emergency call telling you to seriously push for a upgraded version of the Wii. Seriously, your handheld is now more powerful that that thing..."

Let's hope someone is listening...

Thats pretty powerful! Does that mean we will be seeing games to the caliber of that! Sweet!

That is pretty incredible, but I wonder how much it will cost in the end?

DO WANT. DAY ONE.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/20/dmps-pica200-gpu-is-the-power-behind-nintendo-3ds-video/

Follow that link and you will see what the GPU used in the 3DS is capable of rendering. My jaw hit the floor when I saw that video.

Remember when Sony said get a second job for PS3 and we all laughed. Yeah well, I'd be willing to get a second job for this thing. Kinda pathetic I know.

Is it me or does Jill look live Shiva? Or....is that Shiva and I wasn't paying attention?

Impressive, but the big question is whether or not it's going to be a portable that is going to carry the price tag of a full sized console.

Also I am wondering if there will be enough of them made to meet demand, or if they are going to do their gradual baby-steps marketing ploy like usual, and cause some people to basically wind up having to spend years trying to even get one.

Am I the only one here who finds the fact that the 3DS will have a analog stick a much more interesting feature then the new shiny visuals?

Hopefully this means I can play Super Mario 64 DS on a 3DS while using the analog stick for movement instead of the clumsy arrow keys :)

Holy convoluted plotlines Batman!

OT: Pretty damn impressive, still a way to go though for full blown head explodey seeing as the PSP kinda already took the graphics flag.

I stopped with the handhelds after the GB Advance, which I only got about five games for, but now I'm actually kind of psyched for the 3DS. If the games can actually look that good during gameplay (or at least RE4 good), I will definitely be picking this up.

Patrick_and_the_ricks:
Well, I may just buy this. That cutscene looked better than a Wii one. (That isn't an opening cutscene)

Autobot, Decepticon, Maximal and Predacon...what're the other 2?

This looks pretty damn good, but I never really got into the Resident Evil series

And what happened to the PSP-exclusive Resident Evil?

Hype level. Rising.

V8 Ninja:
Hype level. Rising.

^This^

I was hoping for a hand held that looked as good as the original Xbox, but this... this is more then I could possibly hope for.

Torque669:
What.The.Fuck. Why was there two Chris's?

Umm... why are you asking for logical story telling in a Resident Evil game?

I am pre-ordering on the first day available.

tomtom94:

WrongSprite:

No offence but Liberty City's buildings look like Lego.

I'm now even more worried about the 3DS, it seems to be bigging itself up for a massive fall.

Yeah, I too have seen PSP's "good" graphics, it can keep them. As for the "fall", I wonder how good the 3DS's sound is. Sound is where some, if not all, of the original DS's games shortcomings were.

Shite, this handheld looks hardcore...

Why are people calling the visuals "HD graphics"? Because as far as I can tell, that's very much incorrect.

Either way, it looks amazing, and I am DEFINITELY buying the 3DS day one.

Now, the main question is; is your body ready?

This is me impressed, but this is also me skeptical.

Okay, it's certain now. The 3DS is from Mars. It has to be.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here