Nintendo Targets Homebrew Channel With Wii Update

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Nintendo Targets Homebrew Channel With Wii Update

New firmware will remove any non-approved functionality from the Wii.

Nintendo is again updating the Wii in an effort to combat piracy on the machine. Much like the 4.2 update back in September, the 4.3 update will seek out and remove any homebrew content that it finds.

"Because unauthorized channels or firmware may impair game play or the Wii console, updating to Wii Menu version 4.3 will check for and automatically remove such unauthorized files," Nintendo said in a message on its support site.

Nintendo does say that the update includes "behind the scenes enhancements that do not affect any prominently-used features or menus but will improve system performance," but the focus is very clearly on dealing with homebrew.

Source: 1up

So... uh... Nintendo is releasing an update that no-one will bother downloading?

Wii piracy, eh? I didn't even know it existed!

Also, can't these updates be avoided easily on the Wii?

Onyx Oblivion:

The Wii-scene is quite big actually, about as big as the DS-scene

They tried this with 4.2, which just broke stuff. Wii-modders managed to get 4.2 on our their Wiis and still be able to do stuff like run copied discs and games via HDD without hardware modifications

Nimbus:
So... uh... Nintendo is releasing an update that no-one will bother downloading?

Some games (like Super Mario Galaxy 2) make you update your Wii before you can play.
Nintendo doesn't know that Wii Homebrew users can just bypass that forced update.

Megacherv:

Onyx Oblivion:

They tried this with 4.2, which just broke stuff. Wii-modders managed to get 4.2 on our their Wiis and still be able to do stuff like run copied discs and games via HDD without hardware modifications

We'll see what effect this has, then.

Onyx Oblivion:

I didn't either. >_> To me it seems too basic to bother hacking.

NOOOOOOO NOT MAH HOMEBREW CHANNNELLLL!!!!!!!!!!!

How am I going to play quake 2 now?

Jerks. It probably wont take long to get a new version out, but still!

Also, the reason the wii-scene is so open is because modding a wii is incredibly simple. It requires no extra hardware baring a micro sd card, and it is just awesome to try out.

Let's start timing how long it takes before this update gets cracked open! One, two, three...

UnableToThinkOfName:

Onyx Oblivion:

Surprisingly, it's awesome when hacked. I've been using mine to play my old Mega Drive, N64, SNES, NES, and Master System games rather than re-buying them from Nintendo. I also have it set up as a DVD player because I'm too lazy to replace my broken one.

itīll get bypassed quickly, Nintendoīs programming on stuff like this is absolutely terrible anyway. when it does, people can begin using Brawl texture hacks and free games again.

Onyx Oblivion:

Megacherv:

Onyx Oblivion:

We'll see what effect this has, then.

It pretty much won't have any effect. Most hacked Wii owners are smart enough to know that updating can cause problems, thus most of us don't update through Nintendo themselves. A hacked homebrew-frendly update is pretty much guaranteed to be released within the first week after an official update anyway, so Nintendo's efforts are actually quite futile.

Hell, there are actually methods to disable updates alltogether, so most smart Wii-modders shouldn't be worried at all.

ViolentlyHappy91:

UnableToThinkOfName:

Onyx Oblivion:

Surprisingly, it's awesome when hacked. I've been using mine to play my old Mega Drive, N64, SNES, NES, and Master System games rather than re-buying them from Nintendo. I also have it set up as a DVD player because I'm too lazy to replace my broken one.

Huh. Do you put the games on SD cards like the R4 or what?

Onyx Oblivion:
Wii piracy, eh?

It's typically not for "piracy", but to run homebrew applications (people have made a TON of neat applications and free games for the Wii).

Being able to play DVDs is nice too, since Nintendo refuses to let the damn thing do it even though the hardware's there.

UnableToThinkOfName:
Huh. Do you put the games on SD cards like the R4 or what?

Indeed. Setting up the NAND emulator was the only hard part for me. Using a NAND emulator stops the system from copying files to and from the SD stick and flash memory (which causes damage over time) and just runs it all from the stick.

It only takes about 30 minutes to have everything fully set up.

Tales of Golden Sun:

Nimbus:

Some games (like Super Mario Galaxy 2) make you update your Wii before you can play.
Nintendo doesn't know that Wii Homebrew users can just bypass that forced update.

Also, the shop channel (and, I suppose, any other channel that needs to access the net) can force you to update before it runs.

Anyway, their previous attempts to get rid of homebrew failed miserably. Best they can hope for ever is to prevent hacking of new or previously unhacked Wiis at this point. They should concentrate on battling piracy directly, say by guarding the games against getting run from an attached hard drive by hardcoding DVD reads instead of letting them go over the IOS and upping the encryption/signing on new WiiWare/Virtual Console titles.

This is mildly obnoxious, but I'm sure it'll be worked around quickly enough (especially with the older model Wiis, where there's basically nothing they can do to block it short of coming to your house and replacing the hardware). I modded mine not for homebrew or piracy, but because the optical drive is slowly dying, and if I can play games off a USB device of some sort instead, then I only need to use the drive once per game to copy from the disc to the drive, then go put the game disc back on the shelf. I don't use it nearly enough (or have the money) to pay to replace it or get it repaired, so it's nice for now to still be able to get some use out of the games I bought.

UnableToThinkOfName:

Onyx Oblivion:

Same...I never even heard things like this existed! What little do I know!

Megacherv:

Onyx Oblivion:

I was thinking of that update too. It was supposed to brick the modded consoles but only bricked the legit ones. It's one of the reasons I never update on update day. I like to wait and see if there are any problems.
Is this one designed to brick or just mod out the HB.

Well it's nice to hear that Nintendo is taking steps forward, but this is going to be hacked also.

Jaredin:

UnableToThinkOfName:

Onyx Oblivion:

Same...I never even heard things like this existed! What little do I know!

A friend of mine used Homebrew and hacked W@W. It was good times, and the first time I'd ever heard of hacking a Wii. Very strange.

Homebrew's pretty nice for a lot of things. You can run linux on the Wii which means you can run a lot of linux-based stuff. I use MPlayerCE a lot to stream media to my TV over wifi. It's awesome.

So, yet again, I will not be updating my Wii. I like being able to play with Brawl hacks.

"Because unauthorized channels or firmware may impair game play or the Wii console"

My Wii never had a hiccup since I put the homebrew channel on mine. What are they talking about?

Megacherv:

Onyx Oblivion:

I didn't know there was a DS-scene. Until i read some article here on how they might make the 3DS with a game hard drive.

Well, I don't have homebrew, though I know a few people will be disappointed. That said, I won't even get this update until it's required for a game I buy. And by that time I'm sure homebrew will be back on the scene.

shaboinkin:
"Because unauthorized channels or firmware may impair game play or the Wii console"

My Wii never had a hiccup since I put the homebrew channel on mine. What are they talking about?

Pretty transparent excuse, don'tcha think?

I only use my Wii for Brawl+ anyway, so this is going to be another update I'm not going to download.

whaleswiththumbs:

Megacherv:

Onyx Oblivion:

I didn't know there was a DS-scene. Until i read some article here on how they might make the 3DS with a game hard drive.

There was an article on here quite a bit ago called 'Slot-1 Solution', it went on about DS flashcards (R4, M3, CycloDS etc.)

UnableToThinkOfName:

Onyx Oblivion:

well its the best selling system so far so...why wouldn't it have piracy?

JWAN:

UnableToThinkOfName:

Onyx Oblivion:

well its the best selling system so far so...why wouldn't it have piracy?

yes, but most of those sales are for small children, casual gamers, and old people. none of which even begin to comprehend what "hacking" is beyond what they may have seen in tron.

That's right you show em Nintendo! I bet this update will stop tens upon tens of pirates.

Most anyone with enough brains to mod a system knows that new firmware updates are evil and best avoided.

Big companies attitude to homebrew always confuses me. Surly, instead of fighting a losing war in the name of piracy Nintendo should be welcoming the homebrew people with open arms, fostering and nurturing the ideas and talent that many of them represent?

This goes back to a rant I had during the 4.2 incident.

In short, why the hell is Nintendo trying to curtail an aspect of the community (the homebrew scene) which likes the Wii and generally continues to support it, instead of going directly for the people who are pirating games.

News Flash Nintendo: Most Homebrew users don't use it to play pirated games (unless you count emulators and even 10 year olds can do that these days on the PC).

My only reason for getting into the Homebrew scene was to enable cheats akin to CodeBreaker-esque codes for games that I either couldn't beat or just wanted to screw around on. Like getting those last couple ridiculous and seemingly impossible Brawl trophies (there were about 4 or so of them).

Same statement goes out to Xbox and PS3. Stop trying to keep people from playing the gods damned games how we want and focus more on making quality products that are worth the money you're forcing us to shell out for your goods. One of the main reasons I didn't buy an Xbox 360 was that it HAS no cheat option (unless you mean in-game cheats which often screw up the game). I don't play online, I play games single player like I've ALWAYS done. What people do in their own home with the games they buy should be their own business. All it does it narrow down the potential market for people who won't take risks (or do and return the game next day) on games they find unplayable.

UnableToThinkOfName:

Onyx Oblivion:

I'd argue it is the easiest of the current-gen consoles to hack, especially if one has an older firmware and can run the Zelda: Twilight Princess hack (which I did, but I guess it doesn't work anymore). No hardware messing-around necessary!

However, I sold my Wii when I realized all the games that were going to come out for a loooong time were games Wii Music and My Little Pony.

So let me get this straight... Nintendo wants to take away the only reason I even play the Wii any more, even though I never actually use it for piracy? Who the hell do they think they are! That's like Microsoft forcing a download for windows which removes and user-created software, simply on the basis that "it may impair your PC experience."

I tell you what, Nintendo... if I want to install something that "Impairs my game play or console" That I have the right to do so... after all, it's my Wii. I own it; hell, it cost me nearly 300 bucks if memory serves, and for the year and a half that I wasn't playing it (because, you know... it's a Wii) it was basically a brick anyway.

Arrg, no matter. I don't play new Wii games or access the internet with it anyway, so no worries here. Ill just wait for a workaround.

Hiroshi Mishima:
In short, why the hell is Nintendo trying to curtail an aspect of the community (the homebrew scene) which likes the Wii and generally continues to support it, instead of going directly for the people who are pirating games.

Same reason they spent ridiculous amounts of time ripping sequence breaks out of the Metroid Prime series, even though all that does is ruin their replay value for the most dedicated fans of the games. Indeed, the same reason Nintendo have managed at various times to annoy almost every major third-party developer in one way or another (Namco over screwing them with contracts from the NES / SNES days, Id for the emasculated Wolfenstein on SNES, Midway for Mortal Kombat, EA for not letting them manufacture cartridges when Sega did, Square for ignoring them over CDs, Sony for pointlessly double-crossing them over the SNES CD drive, Rare for massively screwing them over re: Starfox Adventures and resisting Conker's Bad Fur Day at every step, everyone who tried to develop anything for the N64 for stupid hardware bottlenecks, buggy devkits and Nintendo refusing to explain how the custom microcode actually worked, etc etc etc).

Put simply, it is because they are dicks.

The last two generations of Nintendo consoles used ridiculous proprietary media (3-inch DVDs and cartridges instead of CDs, respectively) so Nintendo could make sure everything had to go through them, so I don't see why it surprises everyone that their paranoia is in "business as usual" mode. And don't bring up the Video Game Crash, Nintendo's allowed so much WiiS2 shovelware that they're in no position to claim they're trying to preserve quality.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here