Fly the Unfriendly Skies in the StarCraft 747

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Fly the Unfriendly Skies in the StarCraft 747

Blizzard and Korean Air have signed a deal for one of the biggest videogame advertising campaigns of all time: StarCraft 2-branded 747 airliners.

Most videogame companies that want to advertise a new game will come up with a few online ads, one or two for gaming mags and maybe, if the budget is there, a television spot: Part of a cut scene, a bit of gameplay action, some narration and it's ready to go. Blizzard, however, isn't most videogame companies, so when it came time to advertise StarCraft 2 in Korea, it took a bit of a different approach and branded not just one, but two - yes, two - entire 747s.

The StarCraft jets will operate within Korea, naturally, and will also fly to North America and Europe. Blizzard said the ads are a "huge opportunity" to get the word out about StarCraft 2, while Korean Air apparently sees them as a way to appeal to a younger generation of fliers in a country that has a powerful "thing" for StarCraft, with professional players and teams, major sponsorships and even televised competitions.

Clearly, the next logical step is to replace in-flight movies on the two planes with in-flight StarCraft tournaments. And if nobody at Korean Air has thought of that yet, consider it a freebie from your friends at The Escapist.

Source: Team Liquid

Now THAT'S taking advertising up to eleven!

I was kind of expecting them to look like Banshees.

I got shivers just from seeing that!
I can't wait for the game...

If they showed in-flight starcraft tournaments, you know how many crashed airplanes there would be? A lot.

I don't really see this as a smart move though to be honest. Seems like a lot of wasted money.

But how effective are they against ground units?

I WANT that plane.

HOLY SHIT THEY MIGHT ACTUALLY RELEASE SC2. frankly, the boxes and beta didnt make me beleive it was coming out, but if they actually painted some planes... This just made my day.

Well the koreans do like their RTS's and MMO's so bliz has wasted their money most koreans already are going to buy it... SO FLY IT OVER BRITAIN!

They really do want to doom Korea forever with endless playing of SC2 by the entire population, don't they?

Blizzard is trying to destroy Korea!

Onyx Oblivion:
They really do want to doom Korea forever with endless playing of SC2 by the entire population, don't they?

Blizzard is trying to destroy Korea!

IT'S AN AMERICAN PLOT! THEY WANT KOREA! :P

Umm, they did this because Korean didn't know about Starcraft 2? I sense a conspiracy!!

Woopsie double post... I blame lag.

Time to drop the hammer and deliver some indiscriminate advertising!

*Korean Air*

Hahaha!

"Carrier Has Arrived!"

Andy Chalk:
Blizzard said the ads are a "huge opportunity" to get the word out about StarCraft 2

Really? Cause the entire world already doesn't know about it. And those who don't probably won't be buying it. Let the OVER HYPING BEGIN! This isn't to bad in terms of hyping. But lets see what they pull out of their hats next.

redmarine:
*Korean Air*

Hahaha!

Their still more popular then BA...

Fallen-Angel Risen-Demon:

redmarine:
*Korean Air*

Hahaha!

Their still more popular then BA...

The joke was that StarCraft = Air in Korea.

Am I'm the only guy who saw the words Professional Team and felt a little bit die inside about the human race?

I wonder how much vespane gas is required to fly one of these puppies....

DeathWyrmNexus:
Am I'm the only guy who saw the words Professional Team and felt a little bit die inside about the human race?

No more than professional football teams, whats the difference?

WRAITH AWAITING LAUNCH ORDERS

Although, I don't think anyone should really be shocked at this development.

elvor0:

DeathWyrmNexus:

Lulz, point taken though I find football equally ridiculous.

I especially like the in-flight meals.

Just to point out, this is a bit redundant. EVERYONE in Korea already knows about SC2. Granted, the planes will also be popping over to USA and Europe, but I'm pretty sure word's gotten around there as well. And even if SC2 wasn't well known, wouldn't it have made more sense to do the ad campaign with a US/EU Jets then? Seriously, this is like informing an alcoholic that vodka exists...

Beyond that, HELL YEAH! THAT'S how you advertise!

Haha, well it will be interesting to see where they fly these in the US and Europe. Let us know if you see them.

Pretty soon, you won't be able to find an object on the planet without advertising on it.

epic, They are really spending the money they got from WOW like they have no care in the world!

Unfortunatly they require more minerals to produce more 747's.

I actually think this is a smart move by the airline. Imagine if they repainted an american airline plane with Halo or TF2. What fan here can tell me they wouldn't at least TRY to book a flight on the jet with Master Chief on the side or one with the entire cast of TF2!

DeathWyrmNexus:

elvor0:

DeathWyrmNexus:

Lulz, point taken though I find football equally ridiculous.

That's the point. Professional competitions are the same all over, regardless of whether they're physical or not.
Gaming's probably gonna be an officially, worldwide-recognized sport in the near future-ish.

oppp7:
But how effective are they against ground units?

Very. Have you ever heard of "Blue Ice"?

BTW killer PutPut avatar

I guess in a sense they need to appease the Koreans with their new product since they're attempting to take control of tournament and e-sport play away from them?

No offense but I don't think people can see the advertising 90% of the time as the plane is flying lol. I guess the whole point is just shock value but still

Thats taking advertisement to a while new level!!! I love it! I hope I get a chance to see it in person!

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here