Metal Gear Solid: Rising More Than Just a Spin-Off Says Producer

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Metal Gear Solid: Rising More Than Just a Spin-Off Says Producer

Could Metal Gear Solid: Rising be the start of a whole new series?

The world of Metal Gear Solid is a pretty elaborate place, filled with all kinds of behind the scenes plotting and scheming, not to mention giant robots and soliloquy loving soldiers. It would be pretty easy to assume that the cut-tastic Metal Gear Solid: Rising is just a side story, exploring one of the corners of that world we haven't seen yet, but according to Shigenobu Matsuyama, the game's producer, it's a lot more than that.

"MGS Rising is not a side story," he said during Entertbrain's latest Midnight Live 360 webcast. "We're aiming for two Metal Gear Solids, making a series out of another standard."

Matsuyama reiterated the point that MGS: Rising was set between Metal Gear Solid 2 and Metal Gear Solid 4 - presumably telling the story of how Raiden went from a fresh faced rookie to an emotionless cyborg ninja - and said that Raiden was chosen as the game's star because he gelled nicely with the game's "cut anything" concept.

I must admit, I hope that Rising does well enough to warrant a sequel, partially because I like the idea of its very detailed melee combat, but I also want to see how elaborate the name is going to get. How does Metal Gear Solid: Rising 3 - Shadows of the Patriots sound?

Source: Andriasang

Logan Westbrook:
How does Metal Gear Solid: Rising 3 - Shadows of the Patriots sound?

They should just call it Metal Gear Rising. I'll be happy with just that.

Calumon: I wonder if you'll get to play as Vamp at all?

Great, I couldn't be happier than more games released in my favourite game series! And for those people saying that it should be Metal Gear Rising, the series only adopted the, "Solid," at the end to christen the game series as a 3D game. (Solid, 3D? It does make sense.) I'd love to play as Grey Fox or Olga though; perhaps some unlockable skins?

I have to say, although I'm not a fan of Metal Gear, Rising does look more than entertaining. I've never been one for the twisted and confusing storylines though.

...did I just say I want them to dumb the game down? I think I did. Blimey. I knew it was hot here right now, but I think I might be coming down with something.

I am not so sure... about this...

JaymesFogarty:
Great, I couldn't be happier than more games released in my favourite game series! And for those people saying that it should be Metal Gear Rising, the series only adopted the, "Solid," at the end to christen the game series as a 3D game. (Solid, 3D? It does make sense.)

Fair enough but... This is such a drastic change for the series. We might as well christen it with something even newer!

Calumon: Wow, the more you know!

If the trailer is anything to go by, then even if the game is just a spin-off I'll be happy. It looks awesome so far.

LIES!!! To me the Mgs series went downhill when the introduced raiden hes just like some anima charater and is to over the top with his story and everything else theres no subtly with him. Mabey its just cause I'm American but I like my charaters to slowly come to terms with their emotions and grow through them not bitch about every little thing. Mgs two was a good game I loved the gameplay the story was somewhat intersting but raiden is just not a good charater.

Ah, so they're gonna use the MGS franchise to explore other genres of gameplay within the universe that brought us Solid Snake?

This looks like it could be fun! :-)

I like the cut-anything concept.
It makes me think of the old Red Faction x3

Logan Westbrook:

Sounds like Shadows of the Empire to me.

I like the trailer of Rising, but I'm reserving my judgement for more gameplay videos and/or a demo

MGS 4 will be the last MGS I'll ever play. I won't be purchasing Rising. The series should have ended (at least on the consoles) with MGS 4.

That picture just makes him look like a singer from an emo band.

In other words:

Stupid.

I for one look forward to every single cutscene involving Rosemary. Maybe she's found a new day for Raiden to forget so she can bug him about it again when you try to save. Perhaps she and Jack could talk about their relationship more while I try desperately to find something interesting to do besides shove people in lockers with swimsuit model pinups.

are.you.the.god.its.me.vader:
That picture just makes him look like a singer from an emo band.

In other words:

Stupid.

But Raiden IS stupid. It's actually a perfect blend of characterization and character design.

I'm pretty curious about this but i'm reserving judgement for when i actually get to play

I'm gona get it I actual didn't mind whatching all the cutscenes in previos meal gea titles...
also NINJA!

Logan Westbrook:
Could Metal Gear Solid: Rising be the start of a whole new series?

lets hope not
you should be able to take a series on from anywhere, but while most of MGS2 made sense. occasionally theyd throw in a character or reference i dont get

I haven't bought MGS for ages but this one got my hopes back on. So long they leave out the too eloborate cutscenes and allow me to cut anything and cook my own dinner in the game, consider me sold.

I honestly can't find any enthusiasm about Rising. It's set before MGS4, but with Raiden having a cyborg head (which wasn't in MGS4), they say it has stealth but they've done nothing to prove it, and you have to cut up badly designed robot soldiers to get batteries for your sword. I know MGS gets a lot of criticism for it's convoluted story that's impossible to follow, but keeping the character design consistent isn't exactly difficult. All they had to do was look at MGS4 and go "oh yeah, it specifically states his head is human."
The lack of attention to detail in this game was obvious from the moment they got his eye colour wrong in the artwork.

Jack and Calumon:

Logan Westbrook:

I don't think so

JaymesFogarty:
Great, I couldn't be happier than more games released in my favourite game series! And for those people saying that it should be Metal Gear Rising, the series only adopted the, "Solid," at the end to christen the game series as a 3D game. (Solid, 3D? It does make sense.) I'd love to play as Grey Fox or Olga though; perhaps some unlockable skins?

This happens after MGS2 so Olga is dead and Gray Fox has been dead for a long time so I don't think so.

Jack and Calumon:

JaymesFogarty:
Great, I couldn't be happier than more games released in my favourite game series! And for those people saying that it should be Metal Gear Rising, the series only adopted the, "Solid," at the end to christen the game series as a 3D game. (Solid, 3D? It does make sense.)

Fair enough but... This is such a drastic change for the series. We might as well christen it with something even newer!

Calumon: Wow, the more you know!

Good point; this is indeed a very drastic change for the series, and if there are any more like this, we could even get a branching series. If so, they should subtitle the games, "Metal Gear Raiden." Metal Gear Raiden: Rising sounds like a good title.

ForgottenPr0digy:
This happens after MGS2 so Olga is dead and Gray Fox has been dead for a long time so I don't think so.

Why not as unlockable skins? Obviously, we can't play them in canon, but why not include them as an end game bonus?

I have to say, MGS: Rising looks amazing. I'll most likely be buying it on release date.

Raiden?

Thats Raiden???

They really do have some explaining to do.

what's with metal gear protagonists and eye patches?

If it was anything more than just a spinoff, Kojima would be producing it. Not some putz.

And so they continue to try way too hard to make Raiden seem cool. I'd like if they had some sort of transformation half way through or something, and not just start as this ninja thing. You know, character development and all that. The designer's line of using raiden just the fit the "Cut anything" mantra doesn't bode too well for that though. Ho hum.

MGS:Rising=NO SNAKEEEEEEEEEE.
I hated MGS 2 because you play as and anime character called Raiden and not SNAKE who is one of my favorite characters of all time fuck you Raiden you suck Snake please come back,DEVELOPERS you fuck up the MGS

Logan Westbrook:
...Raiden was chosen as the game's star because he gelled nicely with the game's "cut anything" concept.

It's nice to know they started by putting a lot of thought into the story/characters right off the bat.

"Hey let's make an MGS game about cutting stuff!"
"Erm, okay... what's the premise?
"Cutting!"
"...Right. So what's the angle? Who is the main character?"
"Well... Solidus and Vamp are dead, and the only other person who cuts things is Raiden, so... Raiden?"
"...um, sure. So what exactly will Raiden cut?"
"Watermelons!"
"When can you start?"

Logan Westbrook:

Like masturbation material for Kojimaphiles?

OT, this game looks like it has potential, but I'll need to know whether or not there are forty minute cutscenes in this title too.

Jack and Calumon:

Logan Westbrook:

Or against Vamp? Insted of watching that awsome scene between them in 4, you can actualy live it ;D

Thunderhorse31:

Logan Westbrook:
...Raiden was chosen as the game's star because he gelled nicely with the game's "cut anything" concept.

"Well... Solidus and Vamp are dead, and the only other person who cuts things is Raiden, so... Raiden?"

This is inbetween 2 and 4, Solidus is dead, not Vamp.

NightShadeNes:
MGS:Rising=NO SNAKEEEEEEEEEE.
I hated MGS 2 because you play as and anime character called Raiden and not SNAKE who is one of my favorite characters of all time fuck you Raiden you suck Snake please come back,DEVELOPERS you fuck up the MGS

Not really. You have to admit, with the cyborg ninja suit, he's climbed up that latter of coolness. He isn't the idiotic character in MGS2...it's like...:
Snake>Raiden, Old Snake >= Cyborg Raiden, Snake >=Cyborg Raiden, or something. I had a decent explination of it one time. Should atleast give his other form a chance, since it's better then when you first saw him.

Jack and Calumon:

Logan Westbrook:

how bout just metal gear rising? then, the sequels can have subtitles.

metal gear rising 2: second cut

metal gear rising 3: lightning eater

metal gear rising 4: guiltine

I was much happier with it being a side story. I love the Metal Gear series but what is there left to tell?

It began with WWII and MGS3,

and pretty much every interesting part in between has been told. Everything before WWII was the same as our history. WWII games have been done though with The Boss might be fun. Big Boss has 3 games (on the PSP) dedicated to him. (Buy Peace Walker) I guess you could make games about Snake's or Liquid's previous missions but that would add nothing to the backstory at all. With Big Boss's games you can see as he moves to the desisions he will make in Metal Gear. Snake's games would have zero impact on the story and there is a good bet there would not be any Metal Gears in it. So let it die.

I want to make this clear. I like Raiden but he was not a cyborg long enough to make multiple games out of the experience. (5 years) Well maybe, but I still don't see the point.

I would be beyond down for a full series based around Raiden running around being awesome. Screw the haters; I want to control raw cut-people-into-ribbons awesome. And while Raiden does probably mean more Rosemary, it also means no more having to deal with the extended Snake family insanity, or Old Man Snake telling us to get off his lawn. Snake is done and tapped as a lead; Raiden, especially with mad cut-you-up skills, can finally have his proper time to shine.

Metal Gear Solid: Rising 2
How Afro Samurai Got His Game Mechanic Back.

I'm calling it.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or