Microsoft Twitter-Zings Activision Over PC Gaming

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Microsoft Twitter-Zings Activision Over PC Gaming

The Games for Windows guys unleashed a wicked Twitter zing at Activision over Bobby Kotick's claim that the publisher wants to "aggressively support" efforts to bring "gamer friendly" PCs into the living room.

Microsoft and Activision are a couple of pretty big companies, but that doesn't mean they're above throwing out the occasional petty cheap-shot now and then. Take, for instance, the reaction to recent comments by Activision CEO Bobby Kotick, who told the Financial Times last week that his company plans to "aggressively support" efforts by HP and Dell to connect PCs to televisions in order to break the "walled gardens" created by game consoles.

"Acti supports PC gaming?" came the quick-witted response on the official Games for Windows Twitter blog. "Is it April already?"

Cute and pointed without being overly harsh, but as PC Gamer notes, Activision has put out a very respectable catalog of PC games in the past few years, while Microsoft has done nothing but pay lip service to the platform while Games for Windows Live continues to flounder into embarrassing irrelevance.

Nice zinger, though.

I guess this means that the guys over at GfW think they're doing a good job then.

Morons.

That's cool and all, but why am I seeing a super mutant's head explode? I'd prefer to see Soap's Head explode, which would make sense.

Also, Master Chief hitting someone. He looks good when he does that.

Calumon: Not as good as Gordan!

I really want GFWL to start kicking off already... streamline the client, add cross platform party support, get a good list of games and developers signed on then you're ready to go and my GFWL client won't sit there with 3 games overall.

ive lost all hope for microsoft. after the kinect announcement and the frustratingly dim points system on xbox live, im kinda hoping the xbox franchise will be handed off to a company that takes advice and doesnt have their head stuck up their asses 24/7. so it really comes as no surprise that they are drawing attention by zinging a successful and large company.

So Microsoft sounds like it wants to support the PC, but forgot it needs to publish playable games first. ;-)

If "Twitter-Zing" becomes a real term, I will find you Andy Chalk...

sunami88:

And I will build that box!

Oooh! I hope Activision has its lawyers ready because they just got served.

Hah, that was pretty funny. Would be something a lot of us here would say.

Ooooooo burn.

So...Activision is pro-PC too? Don't I recall them being pro-PS3 as well recently? Or was that someone else?

At this point it sounds almost as if they're turning into their own version of yes-men.

EDIT: Bah...apparently I added to the rumor-machine. :p Nah, they were dissapointed in PS3 (or at least Bobby Kotick was) and now it seems they want to latch onto Microsoft and they're saying in a smug high-school girl kinda way 'Pschhhh as iiiif!"

Microsoft zings Activision?

Obviously a hint to their new game "Insult Master"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6xCtNZMAnU&feature=related

Well if they are going to start a fight over who "wins" us, I'd prefer it to be Microsoft. We know how they will screw us over, Acti will most likely do it in new and evil ways that would make Ubi jealous.

Andy Chalk:
Activision has put out a very respectable catalog of PC games in the past few years,

Those typically horrible console ports barely qualify as games, and could hardly be called "respectable".

Activision supports pc gaming??? Be afraid! Be very afraid!!!

Bunch of hypocrites. Activision hasn't really brought out respectable ports towards the PC. So liek, no. No No NO. Both parties are just wrong.

Games for Windows suck and is just crusty old shaait. Activision remains someone I boycot 'till the end of time until something remarkable happens.

Kane & Lynch aren't high profile games, just saying, can't see you bothered using that to prove your point.

Made me chuckle...nice one MS XD

Andy Chalk:
Cute and pointed without being overly harsh, but as PC Gamer notes, Activision has put out a very respectable catalog of PC games in the past few years, while Microsoft has done nothing but pay lip service to the platform while Games for Windows Live continues to flounder into embarrassing irrelevance.

Too bad Activision/Infinity Ward shot down their own credibility by making Modern Warfare 2 one of the biggest disgraces in PC gaming by essentially turning it into a "walled garden".

Microsoft may not be much better, but it is a fitting response regardless.

Lol, its like a hobo calling someone unemployed "a loser"

Doesn't matter what Microsoft does, the response is still valid. As far as I can see they didn't claim to be doing a better job of supporting PCs. Also, the list of titles Activision has put out may be impressive, but the list of stuff they did to fuck PC gamers over is even more impressive.

Also, I will never connect my PC to a TV!

Ok, full marks for a kidney stab, but it's not as GWFL can talk.

A Hypocrite insulting another hypocrite. Kinda like two babies comparing their rattles.

Well even though GFWL is completely pants Activision has been an utter disgrace to PC gaming lately and I couldn't believe it was doing it at the time.

I'm glad that this Microsoft guy is there to tell us what real windows gamers really think in a official manner rather than reading the disreputable words of unofficial, soi-disant pc gamers on the rest of the net.

Jack and Calumon:
That's cool and all, but why am I seeing a super mutant's head explode? I'd prefer to see Soap's Head explode, which would make sense.

Also, Master Chief hitting someone. He looks good when he does that.

Calumon: Not as good as Gordan!

What about them (John and Gordon) fighting huge hordes of Combine, Zombies, Flood and Covenant while back to back?

HK_01:
Doesn't matter what Microsoft does, the response is still valid. As far as I can see they didn't claim to be doing a better job of supporting PCs. Also, the list of titles Activision has put out may be impressive, but the list of stuff they did to fuck PC gamers over is even more impressive.

Also, I will never connect my PC to a TV!

I think they were meaning making games that join the PC gamers to console gamers.

Also, hooking up your PC to your TV is pretty awesome, its like having a 42" LCD monitor......which it kinda is..........

I had no idea where I was going with that.............

I''m not sure if I'm supposed to be amazed by this or just mildly neutral.

Microsoft does more to support PC gaming than Activision simply by being responsible for Windows, as far as I'm concerned.

Never mind Games for Windows Live.

And even if they didn't, it doesn't make any criticism of Activision any less valid. Accusations of hypocrisy and implications of its effects on credibility are so irritatingly fallacious. Nintendo could have tweeted the same just as well as Intel. What does it matter what the source of the tweet has done for PC gaming?

Also, TVs make terrible gaming displays unless you're blind to everything but size....

Tension between Activision and Microsoft seems high these days. With Activision trying to weasel their way into Microsoft's XBox Live subscription profits, and now with Microsoft taking cheap shots, it's turning out to be quite a show.

Hang on, just gotta make some popcorn.

The only reason Activision wants to support games on a PC is so they can create their own version of Steam/Impulse/whatever and charge people to play Activision's games (read: Call of Duty) online. Microsoft's getting all that sweet, sweet cash from Live subscriptions and Activision wants a piece.

sunami88:

Won't be hard. Just follow the trail of review scores :D

So does this mean they will scrap the "always on" DRM?

GamesB2:
I really want GFWL to start kicking off already... streamline the client, add cross platform party support, get a good list of games and developers signed on then you're ready to go and my GFWL client won't sit there with 3 games overall.

I'd rather it died and went away. At the time of writing I've not been able to play anything online that uses GfWL in about two months, and I'll be buggered if I can fix it. Add to that a terrible client, Microsoft Spacebucks(TM) for buying stuff and a broken system in general. Yea, it should just die.

doesn't GFWL have like... dawn of war II? at least it has some decent PC games in there. It not perfect but its pretty fun to see a predator tank blow a chaos space marine into fleshy bits. and at least MS is doing something decent, however small, cant say the same for that mw2 s*** that activision decided to f** up

Activision does have the biggest PC game out there: World of Warcraft, with Starcraft 2 soon to be released.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here