Lex Luthor Faces Death in New Comic

Lex Luthor Faces Death in New Comic

Superman? He's a pansy compared to Death of the Endless.

It's rare in comics that a character gets to see their death coming; while it's often very dramatic, it's usually something of a surprise. Lex Luthor is one of the lucky few - although lucky may not be this right word - as he gets to stare his death right in the face this fall, and even have a conversation with it.

The October issue of DC's Action Comics will pit Lex Luthor against the much loved Death of the Endless, the friendly and perky embodiment of mortality from Neil Gaiman's Sandman series. Writer Paul Cornell said that he always wanted to take Luthor in new directions, and that the idea of him meeting Death first came to him while he was thinking up supernatural opponents for the character.

"I initially thought, 'Oh, there's the Black Racer for Kirby's Fourth World books! The guy on the skis - that's the personification of Death there."'I had happily been thinking of pitching that, and then suddenly it occurred to me that there's another Death, isn't there, that's from even further across the reach of the DC Universes," he said. "I pitched it to Wil [Moss] and Matt [Idelson], and they said, 'Really? What?!?' and it took them a couple of days to wrap their heads around it and see if it was possible. Then I set up to talk to Neil and had a word with Neil, not expecting him to say yes, but he said yes!"

Despite Action Comics being a more traditional style comic, Cornell says that he plans to keep the issue very much in line with the Vertigo books, and not make Death into some superhero opponent for Lex to fight: "I'm obviously going to be really careful. Neil will have a look at the script. I'm not sure if he's asked to look at the script, I'd just like him to. It's going to be very much in a Vertigo mold," he said. "It's going to be Death doing what Death always does, and it's a very intense book-long conversation/debate between Death and this delicious, huge DCU supervillain in the form of Lex Luthor."

As well as working on several comic projects, Cornell has written a number of Doctor Who novels, as well as three episodes of the TV show. Action Comics #894 will go on sale in October.

Source: CBR

When I saw the title I thought he was going to be Killed Off For Real. Then I saw the picture and instantly thought "Neil Gaiman...". Seriously, that is the sexiest incarnation of Death around...

Trivun:
When I saw the title I thought he was going to be Killed Off For Real. Then I saw the picture and instantly thought "Neil Gaiman...". Seriously, that is the sexiest incarnation of Death around...

If he did get killed off, hed be back in a year & a half ^.^

"I'd show her my Rigor Mortis."

Yeah, I got nothing.

Death from Sandman series is a kick-ass character!

I'd be interested in seeing how it turns out...

Trivun:

I guess they should call him Neil Straightman :D

Oh, if anyone's interested, Neil Gaiman has also confirmed to be writing a new episode of Doctor Who for Matt Smith's second series, apparently titled "The House Of Nothing". If it's anything like his other stuff, it should be:

A) Creepy, and
B) Awesome...

There are many ways in which this could go wrong.

Conversations with death...always fun...lets just hope they leave the chest boards out of it...heh.

but, Its an issue ill be looking at reading at the very least

Hmm...I hope they get Death right. If it wasn't for Terry Pratchett she'd be my favourite version of the character. I really don't like the idea of anyone other than Neil handling her.

Still, the issue might be worth a shot.

Uh... WHAT? Really? I mean, what is this? Just Lex Luthor staring his own mortality in the fce or something-- and it's not like every time he looks at Superman he doesn't stare his mortality in the face already.

ryuutchi:
Uh... WHAT? Really? I mean, what is this? Just Lex Luthor staring his own mortality in the fce or something-- and it's not like every time he looks at Superman he doesn't stare his mortality in the face already.

No, this is Lex meeting the personification of the concept of Death. When the first living thing was born into the universe, she was already there, waiting, and when the last embers of the universe flicker and die, she'll be he one sweeping the floor and locking the doors forever.

Trivun:

Apparently you haven't seen her put a condom on a banana.

Sparrow:

Trivun:

Apparently you haven't seen her put a condom on a banana.

Heh, isn't there another panel after that where she says that you can eat the banana after the demonstration? I'm sure there was something I saw like that a while back...

Still sexy though. Not so much in some of the older drawings of her, like that strip, but stuff like the newer Sandman comics and spinoffs, or the picture at the top of the page? Oh, yeah... ;)

I just hope Cornell will treat the character properly. There's something about Gaiman's style that's very difficult to emulate.

By the way, have the main artists been confirmed? If Death really looks like that in the comic... hamanahamanahamana... ... ^^

Trivun:

Pretty sure Deadpool would disagree with you there.

TOGSolid:

Trivun:

Relying on the testimony of the certifiably insane is not entirely the best way to support your argument.

GloatingSwine:

TOGSolid:

Trivun:

Relying on the testimony of the certifiably insane is not entirely the best way to support your argument.

Insanity is such a subjective thing though. Deadpool has his shit together a lot more than most people seem to realize.

Lex will die, and he will come back. It will all repeat like it has always repeated.

That actually sounds pretty interesting...

Trivun:

Hell yeah, I'd be happy to die to her.

And then get Constantine to make her realise that she shouldn't have done that, and have to bring me back to life again.

Trivun:
Still sexy though. Not so much in some of the older drawings of her, like that strip, but stuff like the newer Sandman comics and spinoffs, or the picture at the top of the page? Oh, yeah... ;)

I don't know. I always prefer punk death to the newer one. Maybe it's just nostalgia.

Paul Cornell's writing Action Comics? And having Lex meet Death? Sounds like something I want to buy!

Shockolate:

Yeah, I got nothing.

That made me laugh so hard I started coffin.

GloatingSwine:

ryuutchi:
Uh... WHAT? Really? I mean, what is this? Just Lex Luthor staring his own mortality in the face or something-- and it's not like every time he looks at Superman he doesn't stare his mortality in the face already.

No, this is Lex meeting the personification of the concept of Death. When the first living thing was born into the universe, she was already there, waiting, and when the last embers of the universe flicker and die, she'll be he one sweeping the floor and locking the doors forever.

Yes, I know who Death is. But I can't think of what exactly Luthor would be doing around her. She'd talk to him, he'd stare mortality in the face. Whatever. So mortality happens to be a perky goth chick this time-- somehow I doubt that would make any more of an impact on him than any other embodiment of death he's dealt with (See RE: Blackest Night).

Trivun:
Seriously, that is the sexiest incarnation of Death around...

Sexiest? Yes. Coolest? Heeeeeeell no!!! That'd be this guy:

stinkychops:

Shockolate:

Yeah, I got nothing.

That made me laugh so hard I started coffin.

Damn guys those puns will be the death of me!

Honestly, this sounds awesome. And as long as they're both played true to form, I think this'd be a comic well worth owning, reading, and re-reading.

Hasn't death shown up before in the mainstream universe though? I'm talking about that one issue of Captain Atom where Atom meets the 3 faces of death which were Nekron, Black Racer, and Neil Gaiman's Death.

Also it would have been cool for Death to have shown up during the Blackest Night event.

Pfft, if I were Death and visiting Metropolis, I'd rather have a chat with Superman about him constantly defying me.

Maybe it's the cynic in me, but I always find the things DC and Marvel do to get me excited about their comics to be a bit annoyingly condescending. "Hey, do you love Neil Gaiman? Well, we're taking one of his characters and transplanting it here. That's just as good as Neil Gaiman! It's not stodgy retreading of old material because we lack creativity, honest."

And let's not forget "Oh, will this character die? It's really totally possible! I know we've killed characters off and brought them back a million times in the past, but please accept it again!"

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here