Scientists Develop "Bulletproof Custard"

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Scientists Develop "Bulletproof Custard"

British scientists have created a way to make bulletproof vests lighter and less cumbersome.

Custard might be able to support a person's weight, but could it stop a bullet? Well, not quite, but scientists have used the same principle to develop a force absorbing liquid for use in personal armor.

BAE Systems in the UK fired ball bearing shaped bullets at over 300 meters per second into two test materials: 31 layers of untreated Kevlar and 10 layers of Kevlar combined with its liquid armor. What it found was that the liquid/Kevlar combination was much more effective than Kevlar alone.

"It's very similar to custard in the sense that the molecules lock together when it's struck," said Stewart Penny, BAE's business development manager. "The Kevlar with the liquid works much faster and the impact isn't anything like as deep."

While research into liquid armor isn't new, BAE believes that its tests are the first clear evidence that such material could protect soldiers from bullets and shrapnel. It also thinks that the liquid could make body armor much more comfortable to wear, as the amount of material required to offer decent protection is much reduced.

Source: BBC

(image)

Logan Westbrook:
It also thinks that the liquid could make body armor much more comfortable to wear, as the amount of material required to offer decent protection is much reduced.

And if they are ever lost without food they ca- oh wait...

Trust the poms to come up with body armour that you could eat :P

At least it's not made by the French, then we'd be stuck with Goose Liver body armour.

This news sounded much more exciting... bit of a meh discovery?

I get the feeling some kid read that, and is now going to buy 50 Boston Cream doughnuts to make body armour out of.

This cannot go well XD

Custard for body armour eh? The things people come up with...

Skip the armour, just give all bodily liquids non-Newtonian properties.

next up, laser proof yogurt.

Well, I know you can walk on it...but, stop bullets!? Jam pudding never sounded better now! haha!

Celtic_Kerr:
I get the feeling some kid read that, and is now going to buy 50 Boston Cream doughnuts to make body armour out of.

This cannot go well XD

I hope he youtubes that.

I don't know how to respond to this. It's so random i'm at a loss for words just this whole custard thing.

Well that sounds all well and good, but what if a man falls out of a box which falls out of a sky and starts eating it with fish?

Ultratwinkie:
next up, laser proof yogurt.

But we already have that? <.<

We have BAE systems in America, and I've been in one for school.

All they had was a turret and some simulators.

What about weight issues? Last I heard liquid weighed loads

Light,heavy and now liquid armour...

but doesn't the custard leak out when there's a hole in the kevlar?

First, we ate custard. Then we Walked on Custard. Now it stops bullets. Next, it shall be the power of the car of the future through the power of Perpetual Motion.

Calumon: It gets faster!

Holy Balls! World domination, here I come!

Finally! I am sick and tired of people shooting at my apple crumble.

What?

I like custard, so I don't think i'd be allowed in the military anymore on the basis of "he's eating our protection".

Still, If it saves lives well done BAE systems, now all we need is further developments on the sponge cake missle delivery system.

electronic wolf:
I don't know how to respond to this. It's so random i'm at a loss for words just this whole custard thing.

Custard is a non-newtonian liquid, much like this liquid armour stuff.
When pressure is applied to it, it becomes stiffer, rather than get pushed out of the way.
Which is why custard can support the weight of a person, and this stuff can stop bullets.

Since custard is a non-newtonian liquid most people will be familiar with, the header of "bullet-proof custard" makes quite a bit of sense.

Seems good to me that its lighter than current body armour, after a few hours in that stuff you can really feel the strain.

Celtic_Kerr:

This cannot go well XD

you see, boston cream doughtnuts dont work as well as good old british bristol cream... ummm... scientists?
come on britain!

Only the British would think to use custard as body armour.

Custard armour and a banana phone. Yummy.

wooty:
Seems good to me that its lighter than current body armour, after a few hours in that stuff you can really feel the strain.

From the sounds of it, the real benefit is that it isn't as rigid, so it can mould itself to the wearer's body better. Honestly, this is all kinds of awesome.

BlackStar42:

Naah, loads of people have thought about it. We're the only ones who stuck with being called clinically mental to make it work :D

The fine line between sci-fi and reality will soon be..eaten..
and it will be delicious

It would have been an awesome discovery if the Mythbusters didn't already create it.

Now all it needs is fish-fingers and all will be complete.

BlackStar42:

You've never had British School Dinners, have you? ;)

tkioz:

At least it's not made by the French, then we'd be stuck with Goose Liver body armour.

Whats wrong with Goose liver you racist?. I kid I kid, I think goose liver tastes foul hurhur.

Doesn't custard turn solid with appropriate force? providing its two parts custard one part water, surely getting the mixture absolutely right could stop any forces being applied in its tracks, even Bill Clintons sex drive.

The_root_of_all_evil:
Now all it needs is fish-fingers and all will be complete.

Damn ninja'd!

What next?! Jelly tanks...that sounds good...I'm hungry now.

Damn it. I told them to not let out the secret behind my custom Batman costume. They are so fired.

Thats would be great with my rhubarb crumble helmet.

Now armour is lighter and tastier.

THIS INITIATIVE HAS BEEN FINANCED BY LORD MOUNTBATTEN, AFTER THE UNFORTUNATE BOAT INCIDENT.

What's yellow and dangerous?

A shark in a bulletproof custard vest.

Custard! The material of gods!

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook