Telltale Needs Help Developing Back to the Future Games

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Telltale Needs Help Developing Back to the Future Games

Telltale Games wants your opinion on the best parts of Back to the Future so it knows what to put in its upcoming videogame series based on the movies.

Telltale Games announced that it was developing an episodic adventure game series based on the Back to the Future movies in early June, and now it wants your help to figure out exactly what the games should cover. A recent Telltale blog post encourages interested gamers to complete a survey that will help the developer determine the proper direction to take.

Who can blame them? Trying to figure out exactly what to do with the beloved movie trilogy must be fairly tough, not to mention that the last Back to the Future film was released 20 years ago. When time travel is involved, Telltale could really go anywhere and do anything.

The survey asks respondents what era from the films they find most interesting, from 1885 to 2015, and which decade they'd like to see as a setting for the Back to the Future games, from the 1920s onward. It goes on to ask about which characters players would like to control, who they'd like to encounter, and what the key elements of Back to the Future are.

The most interesting part is when the survey gives four gameplay concepts and asks you to rank them, such as the following:

November 5th, 2010. Working together, Teen Marty, Doc, and Present Day Marty finally corner the man who made off with Doc's Time Train. While they argue about what to do with the well-intentioned time-hopper, a scary black vehicle appears out of nowhere. A familiar bulky presence steps out and confronts them. 'Detective Tannen, Temporal Preservation Squadron.' I'm afraid you're all under arrest.'

This could be a hint towards what we'll be seeing in Telltale's final product. On a side note, the survey begins by asking what popular movie series respondents have seen, making me wonder if Telltale has plans to take on more than Back to the Future and the also announced Jurassic Park. Films mentioned were Indiana Jones, Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, and Ghostbusters. Any of these would be fun to see as an adventure series, so lets hope that's what the question was posed for.

I would kill for a properly made Harry Potter adventure game.
Kill.

At first I thought "A Back to the Future game. What?" But then again...a point and click game by Telltale? They've certainly proved themselves in that genre, and Back to the Future is certainly a good license for it. Interesting.

I have the upmost faith in TellTale. Their games carry that LucasArts flair that they had back when LucasArts made adventure games. In other words, those developers have only perfected their craft over the years.

I want to see a new Maniac Mansion...

Does anyone really want this game? Did anyone ever want this game?

Please don't screw it up.

I sure as HELL don`t want a point and click game, also hover boards, that is all

Why would they attempt this again? We all know what happened last time.

I'd love a big RPG set in the Harry Potter world. Not anything to do with Harry himself, just in that Universe.

GamesB2:
Does anyone really want this game? Did anyone ever want this game?

Hell friggin' yes and hell friggin' yes.

I don't know which are wore: Movies from Games or Games from Movies

I hope this doesn't suck.

This game just needs one thing(Okay maybe more), get the original actors to do the voice work! Seriously. I'll send money if it helps!(Not really but...)

cairocat:
I don't know which are wore: Movies from Games or Games from Movies

I hope this doesn't suck.

They can preserve the character of both Sam and Max AND Monkey Island. They know how to be faithful to a mood.

And for the record, I am really happy that they're asking for help instead of going, "Uh... I guess they might like this!" and going the wrong direction from the get-go.

My opinion might not be relevant, but I just filled out the survey anyway.

I just hope there's going to be plenty of puzzly time-travel humor and that the time traveling itself is capable of following some sort of logic... unlike BttF2.

Tom Goldman:

November 5th, 2010. Working together, Teen Marty, Doc, and Present Day Marty finally corner the man who made off with Doc's Time Train. While they argue about what to do with the well-intentioned time-hopper, a scary black vehicle appears out of nowhere. A familiar bulky presence steps out and confronts them. 'Detective Tannen, Temporal Preservation Squadron.' I'm afraid you're all under arrest.'

Oh God, what a HORRIBLE concept. Does Telltale even care about the various flaws with this scenario?!?

Put... NOTHING. Please don't let them make this game! I love Back to the Future as anyone on this forum, but why does it need a game?

SCREW POINT AND CLICK gimme Lego Back to the Future, Jurassic Park. Ghostbusters and LOTR :D

squid5580:
SCREW POINT AND CLICK gimme Lego Back to the Future, Jurassic Park. Ghostbusters and LOTR :D

Actually that doesn't sound that bad; a collection of Universal movies in Lego format, LEGO UNIVERSAL!

PhunkyPhazon:
At first I thought "A Back to the Future game. What?" But then again...a point and click game by Telltale? They've certainly proved themselves in that genre, and Back to the Future is certainly a good license for it. Interesting.

I'll probably at least look at it. Me and telltale have a problem after they released a demo for some episode involving pirates. Idk, but it was the worst game i've ver played. It might have been just me. But i think they are a good example of workable games being over-loved by fanboys.

OT:
My idea about the other movies in the thing is that they might be looking at possible jokes, ideas to incorporate, etc. who knows, maybe they're just playing with you guys who will actually buy the games.

Interesting point, we've past the date they went to in the future now. Where's my flying car?

Please Telltale, make this work. I've wanted a good Back to the Future game for a long time now.

Don't do this again. We need something amazing so we can say "the last Back to the Future game isn't the worst ever made you know".

I can't wait for this game, and now that I know that they are making a new Jurassic Park game too.....all is well in the world. :)

Great scott! The repercussions of Teen Marty and Present Day Marty meeting and working together would be catastrophic!

But it's nice that they ask for a little consensus among us, gamers.

3rd person action sandbox game. Using the Hover board (in 2015) or the DeLorean Time machine (when traveling between different time periods) to get around.

If you make this, Telltale, then I'd buy it. But NO POINT AND CLICK ADVENTURE GAME. The series wouldn't be appropriate for a Point and click adventure game. Also, see if they can reprise Michael J Fox's role as Marty, and Christopher Lloyd as Dr. Brown.

Wouldn't that be better?

Done and done. Gotta love surveys.

After completing the survey, I certainly hope the 4 ideas I was presented aren't the only ones they are working on. I only liked one of them (the one set in 1938). The others seemed really over the top.

Low Key:
After completing the survey, I certainly hope the 4 ideas I was presented aren't the only ones they are working on. I only liked one of them (the one set in 1938). The others seemed really over the top.

Meh, the 1968 one was pretty good too IMO, but those other two are just so god awful and have so many flaws that I seriously hope they were put in just to separate the fans from the fails

So it turns out that CRAZY messed up dream I had after watching BTtF late night on vacation before bed was not a dream but a prophecy of a game.

I can tell them this: There should be a huge machine across a chasm: rocky valley style. The Doc takes the top patch in the machine and you take a lower one and progress... details get blurry after that.

My subconscious demands it!

FungiGamer:

Low Key:

Meh, the 1968 one was pretty good too IMO, but those other two are just so god awful and have so many flaws that I seriously hope they were put in just to separate the fans from the fails

Yeah, I rated that one the second best. The one where a Tannen acts like Jason Statham in The One was probably the worst idea I have heard in a long time. Tannens are supposed to be bullies and/or criminals, not cops.

Didn't they already have a Back to the Future game, and wasn't it among the top few candidates for Worst Game Ever made.
I have played the atrocity, I am certain those that have will NEVER buy another Back to the Future game.

Yeah. Because a game made what? 20 years ago is exactly the same game they're working on now.

I'm interested in this one. BTTF is my favourite film and I'm a huge fan of this lot too.

Now if only somebody could work on getting a DeLorian into Red Dead Redemption...

GREAT SCOTT!

I think the only real way they could do it would be with a sandbox game (A la GTA), but then it has to have a time limit, which sort of destroys the sandbox element.

WrongSprite:
I'd love a big RPG set in the Harry Potter world. Not anything to do with Harry himself, just in that Universe.

+1

Honestly, Telltale, you're good at adventure games, to a certain extent at least (I don't like season 3 of Sam & Max) but so far they've been mostly old adventure games. If it's ridiculously hard to make a good sequel to a movie, how are they going to turn them into episodic games? Just let it go Telltale.

Before they look too hard at what might work now, they need to look at what didn't work before:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StmuSLHyCy0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZhUNzPdYj8

Sorry it's only available in French, but he still makes some good points.

FungiGamer:

Tom Goldman:

Oh God, what a HORRIBLE concept. Does Telltale even care about the various flaws with this scenario?!?

Is there something in particular you don't like about that concept or just the whole shebang?

Personally, I picked this as my favourite scenario, mainly because it isn't setting Biff/Biff's ancestor as the bad guy per say. He could just as easily be working for a shadowy evil organisation as genuinely working as a kind of time-cop. And it makes a perverse kind of sense really, besides the other characters, who else has had such a connection to the time warping events of the series? Albeit mostly un-knowlingly, Biff, and Biff's ancestors have been significantly affected by those events, and even affected them themselves in the elderly Griff's case. So it's rather fitting that another of his ancestors should be in such a position.

Doesn't mean though that he has to be a likeable guy, he could still be a royal jerk, just on the side of the law. And remember, being on the side of the law doesn't always a good guy make.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here