Activision CEO: We Need to Fix Our Hardcore Reputation

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Dexter111:

John Funk:
They mentioned private channels too, last I checked.

And it makes *technical* sense, I meant - there is a reasonable technical hurdle to overcome, and their resources are better allocated on making sure the damn thing works at launch. That's the only sort of sense.

It makes no technical sense whatsoever, it only makes business-sense :P

The only thing they'd have to do to make it "technically viable" is add a new GUI-element at the top-right with a drop-down menu saying "Europe, Asia, North/South America, Russia" etc., that's one-man-work of an hour or two (and there aren't any cross-realm issues really, cause people have been playing all over the world during Beta)

Upon which the only thing that changes in the Netcode is that your client just connects to another Realm/points to another Master-server instead of the one you were previously on.

In what way does it make business sense? They've said they're going to be patching it in post-launch. They have nothing to gain by delaying the addition of a popular feature that people want, and only things to lose.

Either they're just being lazy, or it's more of a problem than it looks on the surface thanks to the way Bnet is segmented. Like, if you get the cheap pay-to-play Russian version, you can only play on the Russian servers, but if you get the full-price version you play on the normal Euro servers. It's probably simple to go "If account is subscription, access server cluster A, if it's not access server cluster B," but once they implement it, how do you handle people with non-Russian accounts who want to play on the formerly secluded Russian servers, etc?

It doesn't make logical sense to hold off on implementing it otherwise.

Here's an easy 5 step guide to repairing Activision's reputation.

1. Get Fuhrer Kotick impeached.
2. Undo all of his terrible mistakes such as franchise milking and DLC overpricing.
3. Get an ice cold beer and enjoy being carried around on the shoulders of your fanatical fans.
4. ???????
5. Success.

If they videotape him beating Kotick with a phonebook, that will make many people happy.

GamesB2:
He can start by putting a bullet in Bobby Kotick...

I was gonna say that he make Kotick speak "through" him (i.e. censor/reword/ignore)...but ya that works too

Right now, I'm at level 'Fuck Activision'. If he can fix that, by all means go ahead.

And he says that he thinks that gaming industry is too serious? Blame Kotick. If he wants to make it better and loosened up a bit more, then he and Kotick are not going to get along.

I would not want to be hired to market Activision to "hardcore gamers".

The only way most gamers will start respecting them again is if they fire Bobby Kotick. He IS the reason your company has a bad reputation, and hell anything else you do besides that is just PR damage control.

What hardcore gamer reputation?

TOGSolid:

Frequen-Z:
"We Need to Fix Our Hardcore Asshole Reputation"

Fixed that. Acitivsion's problem isn't it's target audience, it's the way it presents itself as a company. Kotick isn't a well liked public figure. In fact, quite the opposite, and match that with the Infinity Ward bullshit and the DLC pricing for MW2 and presto, you've got your universally hated company.

And don't forget the bullshit they pulled with Brutal Legend. No amount of public PR is going to fix Activision. They need to change the way they treat their customers and their developers and I highly doubt that's going to happen.

I completely agree. I wish to God that developers would stop feeding the beast that is the mega game publishers. I understand the pressures of resourcing and financial constraints (I'm an executive at a commercial software developer), but these mammoth publishing houses cannot exist without a slash and burn cycle of consumption - ergo they consume good creative development houses and then spurt out "product".

For a long time now I have been hoping that the advent of digital distribution would be the sling shot that would slay these Goliath's, but now I am dubious as to if this will ever happen because despite the obvious financial success of that business model, it seems that the developers themselves are always hungry for more lucre to fund bigger and better projects.

Frankly I perceive that the industry itself may be heading into a dark age similar to the cartridge glut (aka shovelware) phenomena of the 80's and 90's. The only consolation I have is that hopefully the next gaming Renaissance will capitalize on the awesome developer tools, technology and distribution channels that are being created today - but this time by people with artistic vision and integrity.

As soon as they get rid of Kotick and start making some decent games.

Ditch the Dark Lord of the Sith for a start, stop milking franchises endlessly, use all the money WoW generates to invest in original IPs from strong development teams.

Oh, and stop fucking telling us what we want.

Publicity stunt. I mean when has anyone who's ever tried to correct their companies image managed to do so for people with half a braincell? Hardcore gamers aren't generally your usual consumer. They actually listen to whats going on and weigh up the facts.

Well, I hope we see something new from him, even if it is just funny advertisments.

Want my respect? Pay your fucking employees.

John Funk:

In what way does it make business sense? They've said they're going to be patching it in post-launch. They have nothing to gain by delaying the addition of a popular feature that people want, and only things to lose.

Either they're just being lazy, or it's more of a problem than it looks on the surface thanks to the way Bnet is segmented. Like, if you get the cheap pay-to-play Russian version, you can only play on the Russian servers, but if you get the full-price version you play on the normal Euro servers. It's probably simple to go "If account is subscription, access server cluster A, if it's not access server cluster B," but once they implement it, how do you handle people with non-Russian accounts who want to play on the formerly secluded Russian servers, etc?

I dont like conspiracy theories so i don't really share the point of view but, if you want to play now with friends in EU and NA, you have to buy 2 copies of game 1 with NA cd key, 1 with EU cd key.

The testing of subscription model, where you buy cheaper game at launch at then just pay additionally for multiplayer has very little to do with any technical difficulties whatsoever tho. Keep in mind that subscription based gameplay is an option on Russian market, you can buy a full price pack and don't have to worry about subs and you are still limited to the same servers. It has no impact on the region-lock.

The only valid reason i can see is that server structure itself might not be able to handle mass connection from across the world to NA servers. Spreading the load over local hubs gives better chance of avoiding overload of service.

The so called 'hardcore' crowd cares more about actual tournaments than social networking features, they want to be able to match themselves against each other. During beta there was plenty of nice matches between the top names, showing different strategies and openings for each race.

Keava:

John Funk:

I dont like conspiracy theories so i don't really share the point of view but, if you want to play now with friends in EU and NA, you have to buy 2 copies of game 1 with NA cd key, 1 with EU cd key.

The testing of subscription model, where you buy cheaper game at launch at then just pay additionally for multiplayer has very little to do with any technical difficulties whatsoever tho. Keep in mind that subscription based gameplay is an option on Russian market, you can buy a full price pack and don't have to worry about subs and you are still limited to the same servers. It has no impact on the region-lock.

The only valid reason i can see is that server structure itself might not be able to handle mass connection from across the world to NA servers. Spreading the load over local hubs gives better chance of avoiding overload of service.

The so called 'hardcore' crowd cares more about actual tournaments than social networking features, they want to be able to match themselves against each other. During beta there was plenty of nice matches between the top names, showing different strategies and openings for each race.

Right, you have to buy two copies of the game now. But they've said they'll be patching it in shortly after launch. Anyone who cares enough to buy the game twice probably KNOWS this, so they have no reason to not just... wait.

Russians who buy the full copy of the game are not limited to the Russian servers, they play on the Euro servers with everyone else. It's only the subscribers who play on the Russian (or Brazilian, or Chinese, or wherever) servers.

I agree that the 'hardcore' crowd cares about tournaments more than social networking. But probably 90% of the millions of people who are going to get this game just want to pick it up and play. Tournaments don't matter to them.

GamesB2:
He can start by putting a bullet in Bobby Kotick...

Just one?

You couldn't get less hardcore than games like CoD 5, CoD 6.

Perhaps CoD 4 was moderately hardcore, guns didn't kill in 1 shot, there was dedi servers. Guns actually recoiled and were pretty well balanced. That all went to shit with CoD 5 where recoils were pretty low, everything killed in 1-2 shots anywhere so aiming and headshots didn't matter jack and connection became the biggest decider rather than skill.

Then MW2 came out, it's possibly the most casual game you can get. It has a huge audience mostly of 'new' gamers and pretty young kids. It doesn't require much skill nor is it competitive as connection is a large decider since the guns kill in 1-2-3 shots depending on stopping power/gun type. There is absolutely no recoil or gun control involved it's just point and shoot. Headshots are only there to show off and its far more efficient to aim for the chest since it kills just as fast. Shotguns were added as secondary weapons (seriously) because noob snipers and other n00bs cried about getting their asses handed to them when they went into close range so balance got sacrificed to make the game more casual. There are tons of guns in the game which are massively unbalanced (RPD? 1 shot headshot LMG! UMP-45 kills in one shot FMJ, outranges a TAR-21 which kills in 4 chest shots from one end of Derailed to the other, UMP-45 kills in 2-3 depending on FMJ or not) and are only in there to give casual gamers a chance.

They added a teleporting knife attack so you are invincible while knifing just in case there were any people out there retarded enough to not be able to aim even with reduced recoil, if you still got your ass handed to you they gave you one man army/scavenger and n00b tube + danger close + RPG so you got infinite rockets and grenades with mile wide kill radius's and easy use so you could get kills. They also gave you semtex so you didn't have to work out the perfect amount to hold your frag grenade for, they just have a perfect frag that won't roll and if you land it next to someone it's pretty much impossible to dodge (You JUST make it out of the radius if you stop everything and sprint directly away from it, you'll still take damage and even then the person who threw it can just shoot you)

Yeah, these games aren't hardcore, at all. No hardcore gamer touched the game since CoD 4, and they avoided 3. This is just a publicity stunt, they know any gamer who's played more than 10 true, classic games will be smart enough to call them on any bullshit. They just want the casual, 'scene' gamer who probably picked up a 360 about a year/half a year ago and has the gamertag XOpTiiCzX1337X to think they are hardcore and that they are playing a hardcore game, when in reality they are playing a game with almost no comptetitivity and skill.

I disagree, Activision.
You need to fix your fucking cunt reputation before you go fixing anything else.

I wish this guy the best of luck in dealing with such a monumental task, his first step in this quest should be slaying the greed-demon known as "Kotick", and perhaps he shall regain the faith of humanity in the publisher gods.

so basically this is emperor palpatines new PR guy ?

it's not gamers "perceptions" or activisions "reputation" with them that's the problem jackass.

"By the way, if anyone here is in marketing or advertising...kill yourself. Thank you. Just planting seeds, planting seeds is all I'm doing. No joke here, really. Seriously, kill yourself, you have no rationalisation for what you do, you are Satan's little helpers. Kill yourself, kill yourself, kill yourself now. Now, back to the show. Seriously, I know the marketing people: 'There's gonna be a joke comin' up.' There's no fuckin' joke. Suck a tail pipe, hang yourself...borrow a pistol from an NRA buddy, do something...rid the world of your evil fuckin' presence."

How about instead of using humor. You stop sucking the life out of good game franchises?

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here