Game of Thrones to Become an Actual Game

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Game of Thrones to Become an Actual Game

If you've ever wanted to enter a world of combat, intrigue and betrayal, the newly announced Song of Fire and Ice game might be just what you're looking for.

The Song of Fire and Ice books by George R.R. Martin depict the bitter battles between the houses of Westeros, and the shifting, and often brutal, fortunes of their members. The series has sold more than 7 million books worldwide, the first of which is currently being adapted into an HBO miniseries.

And now you can add a videogame to that list, following the announcement of A Game of Thrones: Genesis, a new real-time PC strategy game from Cyanide Studios, which will allow fans to pit mind and muscle against the likes of the Lannisters and the Starks in the conflicts depicted in the books.

There will be multiple paths to victory, and players will be able to take territory a number of different methods, send spies and assassins to neighbors, capture officers from other families and more. Developer Cyanide says that trickery, treachery and deceit are widespread however, so don't be surprised if someone tries to do the same thing to you. It sounds like the game will have some more turn-based elements as well as the real time stuff, which should make it pretty interesting to play.

There's no release date set for A Game of Thrones: Genesis beyond some time in 2011. Cyanide is also working on a Song of Fire and Ice RPG, but at the moment there are even fewer details available for that.

If there was ever a game that would want to make me upgrade my older PC, its this game. Loved the books, definitely getting this

Knowing my luck it'll be another awesome IP butchered for money.

yayforgiveaway:

I looked at their website. The only game of note I can see is Blood Bowl. The rest are all things like "Winter Challenge" and "Pro Cycling Manager 2010".

Take that as you will, but I'm not getting too excied.

http://www.cyanide-studio.com/

I actually own the card game.
Yes, there is a card game.

It may actually come out before the next book. How sad...

Might be something like Empire:total war's grand campaign, do all your espionage on a grander international, turn-based scale, then do other stuff in real time.

Regardless of the developer and whatever info is released before the game, I'll probably still end up picking it up because I love the books and world that much.

I was kinda into the books, so I might get this.

I just want to kick some Lannister ass I guess

Oh dear...I liked Bloodbowl, but Cyanide are that odd kind of European game studio...not the good kind like CD Projekt.

And A Game of Thrones is just so much of a beardy, western fantasy, it's hard to tell if they can do it justice with a game. I -really- hope they do well by it.

Sebenko:

yayforgiveaway:

I looked at their website. The only game of note I can see is Blood Bowl. The rest are all things like "Winter Challenge" and "Pro Cycling Manager 2010".

Take that as you will, but I'm not getting too excied.

http://www.cyanide-studio.com/

They also made Chaos League, which was a computer version of the tabletop Blood Bowl game. Games Workshop gave them the rights to make a proper one later though.

A company that's most known for making cycling managers and that new Blood Bowl game is making a game from a series of books that are based around people beating each-other to death...huh...

As a fan of the books, let me say: mehhh. SoIaF has always been very plot and character driven, while the setting is rather bland generic fantasy stuff. While theoretically the game could end up with such a story, I find it very doubtful. Even if it is interesting, integrating with the books in a way that it isn't repeat is going to be such a clusterfuck, they might have well just created their own universe.

But will there be rape?

Maybe I will play it, but first I need to know how the PC community thinks about this game and if it's good.
I've learned to not to be hyped anymore...

oliveira8:

Seriously!! I loved the books, but damn it's been a LONG time and STILL no 5th book.

Anyway, not too excited about another game based on a book... I just watched a very depressing preview of Captain Blood. Ugh. Book = amazing. Game looks like turd, and completely NOT in the same spirit of the book.

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

*ahem*

I've been hoping for this since I first read the series. I hope they can do it justice, but it's going to be a tall order. If it has anything less than an Mature rating, then it's not going to be true to the source.

But, niggling worries aside, please let it be an awesome game.

Oh? Now this does sound intresting...

When I first heard the name I thought it was something like Thrones and Patriots expansion for Rise of Nations, heh

So, wait, they're going to translate tales of some of the most brutal and conniving political maneuvering and posturing you can possibly imagine, and turn it into a likely generic RTS?

Gotta say, I don't have high hopes for this being able to stay true at all to the source material, beyond showing the house banners wherever possible.

I mean, really. War was an ongoing component of those books, but never the sole focus. How you translate those brutal, highly detailed descriptions of particular people and the events they were involved in within those wars into a likely omniscient, overhead RTS delivery just doesn't compute to me.

It's the characters you follow throughout that make those books great. Notice that most of the wars are fought between chapters, not within them.

There's no reason this shouldn't be Dragon Age: Game of Thrones

Awesome. This excites me. I'm about 2/3 through the third book in the series (would be done them all, but school got in the way) and loving them of course.

V8 Ninja:
A company that's most known for making cycling managers and that new Blood Bowl game is making a game from a series of books that are based around people beating each-other to death...huh...

Blood Bowl is based on violence, they're not new to it.

if its anything like the board game, it will be awesome.

Just a quick little note that it is a full series not a mini-series (I am very excited for it).

Man everything is just crazy today in the world of ASoIaF. First we get James Cosmo as The Old Bear Jeor Mormont, then a whole shitton of new cast members, and now this game. today has been an awesome day.

oliveira8:

Hey, now lets not be a bunch of negative Nancys here. The book is somewhere in the neighborhood of 1400 pages.

CUnk:
But will there be rape?

That is an excellent question at the very least we know there is a strong likelihood of

WrongSprite:

V8 Ninja:

Blood Bowl is based on violence, they're not new to it.

I know, it's just that the whole idea seems a bit odd to me. Turning a book into a game? I personally just find that a bit odd.

*Begins shaking uncontrollably with excitement*

Oh... Oh god yes. Jesus, Allah, Buddha I love you all!

...dammit. I was hoping it'd be an RPG rather than an RTS. But, given the huge war taking place in the books, an RTS makes a lot of sense. Maybe I'll try it.

And I hate to be "that guy", but... it's A Song of Ice and Fire, not Fire and Ice.

theamazingbean:
As a fan of the books, let me say: mehhh. SoIaF has always been very plot and character driven, while the setting is rather bland generic fantasy stuff. While theoretically the game could end up with such a story, I find it very doubtful. Even if it is interesting, integrating with the books in a way that it isn't repeat is going to be such a clusterfuck, they might have well just created their own universe.

And how is the setting generic? There are no elves, nymphs, sorcerers (confirmed ones anyway), orcs, trolls, goblins or other Tolkien-esque recycled material. Hell, even the dragons are such a minimal role in the story, they might as well not exist.

Martin's series is a grittier, more realistic dark fantasy. And who else in mainstream literature has the stones to make characters pay with their lives when they make a bad decision?

I've been following this since GRR announced it on his website just over a year ago.
An RPG is an excellent idea, not so sure about an RTS, though.
And the obscure French game company owning the rights to the games worries me.

FloodOne:

theamazingbean:

And how is the setting generic? There are no elves, nymphs, sorcerers (confirmed ones anyway), orcs, trolls, goblins or other Tolkien-esque recycled material. Hell, even the dragons are such a minimal role in the story, they might as well not exist.

Martin's series is a grittier, more realistic dark fantasy. And who else in mainstream literature has the stones to make characters pay with their lives when they make a bad decision?

Shit, it's hard to even call it fantasy. If it weren't for those wraithy-things, the baby dragons (which everyone thought were extinct or never existed at all), and the zombie-lady-person, it would almost be a quasi-alternate history! This Martin definitely picks and chooses his fantasy elements, and uses them sparingly. (And to great effect, I might add!)

Quad08:
If there was ever a game that would want to make me upgrade my older PC, its this game. Loved the books, definitely getting this

I am guessing the books were good? The concept art looks great.

Korten12:

Quad08:

The books are VERY good. They break almost all stereotypes/tropes of fantasy that you may have come to expect.

Very brutal, very unpredictable, very emotional. The moral of the story-- there are no heroes. Only people.

I just started reading the first one and I'm loving it but I can't really see how it'll translate into an RTS. Combat doesn't seem to be the focus and what Combat there is doesn't seem that far strung from actual medieval warfare, so why bother using the SoIaF license if what you're making is closer to realistic warfare? What I hope they do is make diplomacy and politics a large part of the game, maybe more important than the combat. That would suit the game a lot better.

I'm more interested in this RPG to be honest.

Let's hope they don't screw it up for the "Mainstream" audience... (i mean all those resolutions to make an RPG "light-er" etc).

Korten12:

Quad08:

You have no god damn idea. They're worth dying for. Worth killing for.

...Worth going to hell for.

OT: I'm divided. On the one hand, I doubt anyone, let alone this company I've not even heard of, can do it justice.

On the other hand, I'll probably get this game no matter how good it turns out.

RTS? Really?

Not to whine, but man, these books needed to be made into an RPG or some kind of Romance of the Three Kingdoms 10-style RPG/empire building hybrid. Just focusing on individual battles really doesn't fit the series' tendency towards vast conspiracies and sweeping military campaigns.

Still, A Song of Ice and Fire needs all the love it can get. And it also needs ITS GORRAM AUTHOR TO STOP BLOGGING ABOUT HOCKEY AND FINISH A DANCE WITH DRAGONS. Grr.

CUnk:
But will there be rape?

Better question:

EDIT: Okay, the more I think about an RotK10-style Song of Ice and Fire game, the more frustrated I become that they're not doing that. It seems so incredibly obvious, appropriate, and downright awesome to me. Then again, I firmly believe that RotK10 is sort of a base template for The Perfect Game to be built from.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here