Seventh Doctor to Play Bilbo Baggins?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Seventh Doctor to Play Bilbo Baggins?

A source close to Sylvester McCoy suggests that he might be trading in the TARDIS for a hobbit hole.

Frodo Baggins? Bah! He's a latecomer to the story of the One Ring. Let's face it, all he did was carry it across hundreds of miles of hostile terrain and threw it into the heart of a raging volcano. Ok, that's actually quite impressive, but the story of how the ring came to be in the Shire in the first place is also very important, and that's the story Bilbo Baggins. And who better to play such an important character in the upcoming movie adaptation of The Hobbit than a former Time Lord?

Rumors are circulating that Sylvester McCoy, who played the seventh incarnation of the Doctor, has secured "the second biggest lead" in the film, which is assumed to be Bilbo, as McCoy was a close contender for the part during the casting of the Lord of the Rings movies. The rumors - which McCoy's agent would neither confirm nor deny - apparently came from sources close to the actor, and if true would mean that McCoy would star opposite Ian McKellen and Andy Serkis.

It may be some time before we see anyone taking on the role however, as the movie has been dogged by delays and problems, the most recent of which is the departure of Guillermo del Toro from the director's chair, and severe monetary troubles at MGM. It is rumored that Lord of the Rings director Peter Jackson is in talks to take over from del Toro, but nothing official has yet been announced.

Source: Screenrush

Seems like he'd be a pretty good fit.
And who is the "biggest lead"? Gandalf?

From what I remember of the book, Bilbo was the biggest lead. Or at least the main character.

So if Bilbo is the second biggest in the film, who's the biggest?

I don't mind who plays Bilbo... as long as someone actually does. I want this film!

I wanted the original actor that made Bilbo in LOTR to play again, but we'll see how this actor does.

He'd probably suit Bilbo quite well - quite old as well which should help..

..maybe it means 'second biggest role' in order of height

If I recall correctly he was considered for the role in the first 3 movies as well.

Irridium:
From what I remember of the book, Bilbo was the biggest lead. Or at least the main character.

So if Bilbo is the second biggest in the film, who's the biggest?

Well if PJ is directing then it's obviously going to be Legolas.

OMG if this actually happens I will just explode in an eccstatic display of pure euphoria!

Not only was the rumour that Peter Jackson might be directing it something to marvel at, now my favourite Doctor of all time will possibly be starring in it! I absolutely love Sylvester McCoy, I'll think he'll make a really good fit.

I really hope all these rumours are actually true, I can't say how happy this film will make me, if it ever gets made/released that is. In (premature) celebration, here is a picture of the greatest Doctor Who duo ever. (Or at least on par with series 5's Matt Smith/Karen Gillan)

I originally heard from my sources that David Tennant would play the young Bilbo, but this is quite interesting.

Aye, Sylvester McCoy was an awesome Doctor, so I'm sure he'd do a damn good job of Bilbo... assuming the damn movie ever actually sees the light of day! :P

I saw this news and thought "Obviously". I never considered it, but I think it's perfect casting. Whether the movie gets made, on the other hand, is a different issue. SUre it'll be popular, but it will be SOOO expensive. Unlike TV series they don't get any money back until quite a while after its made.

Radeonx:

Gandalf, Thorin, maybe the Ring itself?

I for one am very excited about this news...a very excellent choice

How can the role of Bilbo be "the second biggest lead" in a story titled THE HOBBIT!

How exactly is Bilbo "the second biggest lead"?

And I thought for a second the Dalek right next to him was meant! What a shame, the film could be so much shorter if the main character had a death ray.

Anyway, it would be a nice pick, he could even keep the hat.

Doesn't The Hobbit also have a deus ex machina moment with the eagles?

Didn't he play him in LotR?

Huh, I guess I subconciously put him in there, since he's so good a fit.

I thought they would bring back Ian Holm to play Bilbo.

Bilbo wasn't exactly young in the Hobbit, in his fifties, and Ian Holm could still play the part.

Proverbial Jon:
In (premature) celebration, here is a picture of the greatest Doctor Who duo ever. (Or at least on par with series 5's Matt Smith/Karen Gillan)

Oooh, that's a controversial choice. Up against 4 & Leela, 3 & Jo Grant...

She was the only one to never call him "Doctor" though. And Nitro-9 ftw. :)

I have been looking forward to this film for what feels like 10 years at least...

And I'll wait longer, but if thus disappoints me, well, there'll be hell to pay. HELL!!!

The_root_of_all_evil:

Proverbial Jon:
In (premature) celebration, here is a picture of the greatest Doctor Who duo ever. (Or at least on par with series 5's Matt Smith/Karen Gillan)

Oooh, that's a controversial choice. Up against 4 & Leela, 3 & Jo Grant...

She was the only one to never call him "Doctor" though. And Nitro-9 ftw. :)

Haha! Is there nothing that couldn't be solved with nitro 9? And the baseball bat imbued with the power of the hand of omega, of course!

I know 4 is everyone's favourite but he's not at the top of my list. My second choice would be 2 and Jamie McCrimmon, however as far as companions go, Leela and Jo Grant were still pretty good and I didn't mind Tegan and Nyssa. Don't even get me started on Peri and Adric!

OT: Ummm, I feel I should contribute something related to this post... Yay Hobbit?

If they do wind up making this film, let's hope that they don't muck up the story by talking too much about the ring. If I recall the story correctly, which I may not, the ring doesn't even show up until at least the second act, and then for a while there was no indication it was very special other than turning the wearer invisible.

My point is that even though this is technically a prequel, if they do too much to scream "PREQUEL!" at us, they would be missing the point.

Bilbo can't be the second biggest role in The Hobbit and if it is, McCoy is too old to play it.

The Normish:

Radeonx:

Gandalf was barely involved during the events of The Hobbit. What he did took place largely behind the scenes.

Since it is said that Bilbo "hasn't aged a day" due to his possession of the ring I would really prefer to see Ian Holm pick the role back up. I thought he was quite brilliant in the role and a great actor in general.

008Zulu:

The Normish:

Radeonx:

Gandalf was barely involved during the events of The Hobbit. What he did took place largely behind the scenes.

Well yes, I was just saying. I hope they delve a bit more into Thorin, frankly he was my favorite character in the book.

I want Ian Holm to play Bilbo. He was awesome.

In my opinion I would rather see Ian Holm play Bilbo Baggins again. Ian Holm played Bilo Baggins really well and since it did show Ian Holm in the prologue of the first film they should follow allow him to be in The Hobbit.

I'm sorry, but Sylvester McCoy is way too old for this role...

I think he's a pretty damn fine Doctor, and really enjoyed his regeneration episode, but... well...

It's The Hobbit... when Bilbo is considered a young hobbit. I think it's being forgotten that Elijah Wood's Frodo was roughly the same age as Bilbo was when he started having adventures.

Personally, I think Martin Freeman from The Office and Love Actually would be sublime in the role.

And that's the original Office, by the way.

Just to add, Sylvestor McCoy isn't just famous for being the Doctor. He's also a properly respected thesp with the Royal Shakespeare Company too. Heck, he did a stupendous version of King Lear a year or two back opposite Ian McKellen, so the two already work well together.

On topic: I was kind hoping for Ian Holm to come back, but I think I read somewhere he's getting too old for long shoots in other countries. If so... McCoy wouldn't be a bad replacement at all, actually. In fact, the more I think about it, the more I like the idea.

Oh man it's a shame Del Toro isn't directing it, he has created some magical things in his time.

ehh if it doesnt have music by america then it just wont be the same

How is Bilbo the "second-biggest" character? That makes very little sense...

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here