Rockstar Bringing New Law to Red Dead Redemption's Multiplayer

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Rockstar Bringing New Law to Red Dead Redemption's Multiplayer

The West is getting a little less wild as Rockstar tackles online outlaws.

Following what it calls "isolated incidents of abuse," Rockstar is adding some new features to Red Dead Redemption to deal with online cheaters and griefers in a title update scheduled for release within the next month.

Those who are being bullied in Free Roam mode will have the ability to get heck out of Dodge by transporting to an area of their choice on the map. In addition, any player who gets a kill streak of six or more in Free Roam will earn the dubious honor of being "Most Wanted," which means that every other player is alerted to their activities, and the game sends NPC lawmen after them.

When it comes to actual cheating, Rockstar says that anyone found to be cheating "without a shadow of a doubt" will be banned from the game for an unspecified period. Rockstar adds that it will continue to monitor Red Dead Redemption's multiplayer and will continue to release updates as necessary.

It's always good to see a developer taking anti-social behavior in a game seriously, and hopefully this update will make the game more enjoyable for people who had had a negative experience in the past.

Source: Eurogamer

NOW THIS IS WHAT THE GAME NEEDED.

I was tired of free roam devolving into a giant deathmatch.

Now, just add a "free roam PvP damage: OFF" option.

When it says kill streak of six, does that include NPCs?

Rockstar has just gone up another notch on my 'respect' list.

Shit, they can't hear me clapping can they?

I still haven't got into online yet. I was just starting when I bought Demon's Souls, and that game has been sucking my game time away for over a week now. Maybe when I get bored that, I'll eventually come back and try it out, lol. Good to know they're trying to crack down on this as I've heard some horror stories.

FUCKING RIGHT

I remember killing some guy out of defense, because he thought it would be fun to try and kill me. So the dude adds EVERY OTHER FUCKING PLAYER to his possee and they start to hunt me down. Since you respawn so close to your corpse, they just chased me and killed me. Sure I killed the odd man, but I had six people gunning for me. Most of them were really high levels and had great horses.

So I just logged off and never touched multiplayer again

scnj:
When it says kill streak of six, does that include NPCs?

Obviously it wouldnt include that just a streak of six players.

This sounds like it was sorely needed. Being able to grief somebody so badly that they can nolonger play on that game is just rediculous.

I just want to be clear here...

The game about outlaws, where you are an outlaw, and there's even an achievement for tying a woman up and dropping her in front of a train... this game is punishing you for acting like an outlaw in multiplayer?

Azuaron:

The game about outlaws, where you are an outlaw, and there's even an achievement for tying a woman up and dropping her in front of a train... this game is punishing you for acting like an outlaw in multiplayer?

Not acting like an outlaw, like an asshole. People will literally hunt people down like they did with me. Kill someone, wait for them to respawn (you only respawn about 10 feet away from where you died), and killing them again. Over and over and over...

No you log on, have that happen and tell me you're having fun

Azuaron:

THE STATUS QUO HAS SPOKEN!

That's why I just play with friends on LAN or friend only invites. No douches aloud. People need to make more friends I guess or just add options of how you want YOUR server to be and lock trophies/achievements that are no longer applicable.

Woah, punishing outlaws? Thought the game was about outlaws. Either way, Free Roam is probaly the most boring thing ever unless you have a posť with your IRL friends or something. If not, it's quite boring.

A shoot-fest here, become wanted there, clean out a hideout or two here and there. And throw in so many challenges that it isn't even funny anymore + demotivating.

Azuaron:

Spawn killing isn't being an outlaw, it's being a douche.

OT: Sweet! I might just jump back into multiplayer once this drops!

Baby Tea:
Spawn killing isn't being an outlaw, it's being a douche.

I hear ya on that one. Every time I even feel like jumping into Free Roam, BAM; shot dead on spawn. I keep having to quickly switch to Private Free Roam, but that's no fun because I don't have any friends available to play with. So the whole thing defeats itself >_>

Honestly free roam would be far better with the addition of the TRAIN!
I wants my train!

Oh god, I'm so guilty of murdering players OVER and OVER again.

In my defense, one time it was a twelve year old. And often, the other guy starts it.

Nice to see they are taking some action on it...I dont play it myself, but, I knew alo of my friends were getting a little miffed...

I'm still waiting for RDR on PC.

Yeah, the second time I played I wound up with a level 50 killing/hunting me as I spawned on his damn Zebra-Donkey of Doom. I was around level 11 at the time, so I had pretty damn munch nothing to defend myself with. Luckily I had a few posse members and we eventually took him down a few times, got some of the better guns off his body... then started to give him hell.

It's amazing how the tides can turn once one person managed to grab the High Powered Pistol / Buffalo Rifle / Sniper Rifle.

That said, great change. Props to Rockstar on trying to address the situation.

Ahh, I still have fond memories of the time some jackass started picking on our mate so we possed up and spawn killed him to Mexico. He came back a while later after posseing (is that a word?) with some of his mates and ambushed us while we were fighting the Mexican army in the fort/jail, devolving our decent plan into a three way gunfight. It was, without a doubt, one of the most awesome things I've ever seen in a game.

I know Rockstar are bringing this in to combat griefers, but I'll admit, my first thought is bring on the three way duels! Closely followed by 'where's the goddamn train?'

Also, with Red Dead Redemption being what it is, I'll put money on there being challenges based on being Most Wanted for a certain time limit/ number of times.

Well, there goes our scheduled posse vs posse weekend horse dogfight. We all get members in our posse, get on a horse armed with only a stick of dynamite and charge straight forward to the other guy riding a horse. But then, it had to be done. I, myself, hunt down individuals who did me wrong, going as much as switching to the game he's playing just to make him apologize because he led his posse and tried to steal my carriage when there are 2 right there. They chased me, we ran all over the map. I eventually had to throw a stick of dynamite into my position and use the transport thing, which was beside me, and the guys who chased me went to the dynamite and they called me a hacker for using the transport thing. Funny thing is, the one who ordered the attack was a racist, 9 year old. I tried to get answers from him nicely. All he did was to make fun of me being 1/8 Nigerian and left the room to play MW2(obviously). I followed him and I asked why he did that. Again he said the same thing but he didn't know that his mother was watching him. I can literally hear the shouting. "Karmaic justice" I tell myself. Now Rockstar can do my job of keeping the West clean, one 9 year old racist at a time.

InvisibleMilk:
Oh god, I'm so guilty of murdering players OVER and OVER again.

In my defense, one time it was a twelve year old. And often, the other guy starts it.

and that's exactly why this is a bad idea. some lil shit-for-brains punk is going to "grief" by starting fights and then getting the "cheater" kicked out just because he was fighting back.

Having said that: THIS IS A GAME, WHO CARES IF THERE ARE CHEATERS?!?!?!

Douche bags are a part of life, no amount of updates will keep us- *cough* -I mean keep them from being dicks. The best solution is to be a dick right back.

I can hardly connect with anyone online in that game. I can't even connect with my friend who lives about a mile away.
My problem is online is (almost) always completely empty.

I would love to get killed over and over again.

Azuaron:

the game is punishing you for greifing players.

unless you think its fun being killed twenty times in a row while waiting for your horses textures to load and try, try to kill someone with your invisible gun.

OT: I dont see how sending an NPC law-posse will do anything to deter anyone from going over the six kill streak, I mean, its not like they were a problem at all in single player.

I'm guilty of this. =P
To be frank though, the other guy usually starts it and the I spawn kill the FUCK out of him. This is a good thing, but no one will be bothering me because I plat'ed RDR and won't be going near the online for a while.

I thought that killing and being killed was some of the fun of Free Roam. Hell I'd rather see a more advance skin swapping feature than 'widdle baby wuwu' rules put in place. But the teleporting system and adding npc law men chasing you is actually pretty creative.

I actually am guilty of being a Red Dead griefer, I'll admit that. Though to be fair, it was only after I myself had been griefed to the point of madness.

Still, nice solution Rockstar!

It's so much fun getting the upper hand on spawn killing douches though. Maybe it's because I'm really good at Red Dead for some reason, but I always dominate the people who try and kill me, take their weapons, and then start hunting them down.

Red Dead Justice, you jive turkeys.

Celtic_Kerr:
FUCKING RIGHT

I remember killing some guy out of defense, because he thought it would be fun to try and kill me. So the dude adds EVERY OTHER FUCKING PLAYER to his possee and they start to hunt me down. Since you respawn so close to your corpse, they just chased me and killed me. Sure I killed the odd man, but I had six people gunning for me. Most of them were really high levels and had great horses.

I had this almost exact thing happen once. What you should have done, is not mount a horse after respawn and crouch behind something, tree is preferred so they cant shoot over it. As soon as they shoot once (lets you know they have a lock), do a roll. It makes them lose their target and have to reacquire you, on a horse they have no such option. Unless they get a lucky head shot, you wont die, and you'll have them killed before they can relock. I would kill about 4 or 5 of em before they finally killed me once. They just kept going at it too.

Eventually, a couple guys came over and saw what was going on and joined my cause. Somehow they were REALLY good and we just mopped the 8 of them for about 30 minutes or til they got bored of dying on an individual basis. Was good times. I admit I wanted to log off for a bit til i figured it out, but I'm glad I stuck with it.

obisean:

Celtic_Kerr:
FUCKING RIGHT

I had this almost exact thing happen once. What you should have done, is not mount a horse after respawn and crouch behind something, tree is preferred so they cant shoot over it. As soon as they shoot once (lets you know they have a lock), do a roll. It makes them lose their target and have to reacquire you, on a horse they have no such option. Unless they get a lucky head shot, you wont die, and you'll have them killed before they can relock. I would kill about 4 or 5 of em before they finally killed me once. They just kept going at it too.

Eventually, a couple guys came over and saw what was going on and joined my cause. Somehow they were REALLY good and we just mopped the 8 of them for about 30 minutes or til they got bored of dying on an individual basis. Was good times. I admit I wanted to log off for a bit til i figured it out, but I'm glad I stuck with it.

As i mentioned, he got the whole map in his possee. I had better things to do than put up with beligerent babies... Like pick flowers in single player

Snip

ah yes the Red Dead Free Roam Grief..... how i do not miss it. Though, come to think of it, ALL free roams turn into a grief fest cause there is really nothing to do in them. Unless you are part of a posse and hit the hideouts. But then you will always run into that single small posse that will jump in and assist you with a hideout then if you chose to do it again, spawn kill everyone.

Fuck yes. Finally I'll get something for being a cunt towards people in the multiplayer. Because I'm asuming that it's basically just becoming a public enemy, which is a good thing!

Otherwise I'll just see this as a chance for killing other players to become a little more challenging.

Celtic_Kerr:
FUCKING RIGHT

if a new kid in town takes a shot at a real man, he better be prepaired for his comupance

role playing aside i think the new most wanted acheivement will be top of my most wanted acheivements =]

Onyx Oblivion:
NOW THIS IS WHAT THE GAME NEEDED.

I was tired of free roam devolving into a giant deathmatch.

Now, just add a "free roam PvP damage: OFF" option.

All that would do is make people burn you, try to blow you up or run you over with thier horse. (Seeing as how no Pvp damage in GTA 4 worked, it can be just a anoying as having Pvp damage on)

Madshaw:

Celtic_Kerr:
FUCKING RIGHT

if a new kid in town takes a shot at a real man, he better be prepaired for his comupance

role playing aside i think the new most wanted acheivement will be top of my most wanted acheivements =]

So you're advocating people being assholes? I was by no means new, he was simply even stronger. How does comeuppance come into this?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here