Former Visceral Head Says EA Treated Him Like "Sh*t"

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Former Visceral Head Says EA Treated Him Like "Sh*t"

The executive producer of Dead Space isn't happy about how EA treated him when he left Visceral Games.

When you're the manager of a McDonald's and upper management treats you badly, nobody tends to notice when you tweet about it. When you're in the videogame industry, leave EA after creating a great game like Dead Space, and say the company treated you awfully, people perk up their ears, which is exactly what just happened to former Visceral Games' GM Glen Schofield.

In memory of his one year anniversary of leaving EA, Schofield tweeted: "Wow, a year ago today I left EA. What a day that was. They really treated me like shit even after creating Dead Space 4 them." Schofield left EA to become the head of Activision studio Sledgehammer Games, which is currently working on a new FPS in the Call of Duty series.

Schofield later tweeted: "Seems my tweet got some attention. Didn't mean to. But after a year of EA bashing us it's good to get it off my chest." I can't imagine why he's surprised by the attention. It seems like every other day someone in the game industry is telling a major studio head to "fuck off" or saying that a CEO is a "prick."

To air dirty laundry over Twitter is like pasting it directly to the news. This kind of stuff is the videogame press' equivalent to what you might find on TMZ. Hopefully Schofield won't get treated as badly at Activision. I hear nobody has ever had a problem over there.

What is saddening is that all this mud slinging is arguably justified...

Tom Goldman:
Hopefully Schofield won't get treated as badly at Activision. I hear nobody has ever had a problem over there.

Now THAT's sarcasm. Jolly good show. ;)

From one shithole to another, ooohhhh the irony.

Goddamnit EA... you always get something wrong... still I'll forgive you for this one because of how great you've been recently.

Why does it seem that EA and Activision will soon own the whole video game industry in 2 big-ass evil empires? Their names appear everywhere.

Handbags are a-flying in the games industry as of late.

He made Dead Space 4? Then where the hell is our second?!

I dunno, I rarely follow these things... just seems like another slapfight to me. Did he leave voluntarily or was he forced to?

So basically, both EA and Activision treat their employees like shit and the said employees periodically migrate back and forth, drumming up so called publicity? Big whoop...

Whatever, like it means anything.

It all comes out in the end it seems, heh...it wouldnt surprise me actually that they did

"Dead Space 4"? One sequel at a time, buddy.

Terrible humour aside, I have to agree that you hear about major companies treating the working artisans like shit all the time. Maybe if EA, Microsoft, Activision and the like treated their developers with respect we might have some higher quality games out today.

Jandau:
So basically, both EA and Activision treat their employees like shit and the said employees periodically migrate back and forth, drumming up so called publicity? Big whoop...

I find it a little suspicious that this guy is only now, after Activision are being slated for their horrifying treatment of employees, coming out and claiming EA does the same, except he's given no detail whatsoever, and just happens to be employed on the next Call of Duty game, the franchise which caused all this trouble for Activision in the first place.

/tinfoilhat

sosolidshoe:
I find it a little suspicious that this guy is only now, after Activision are being slated for their horrifying treatment of employees, coming out and claiming EA does the same, except he's given no detail whatsoever, and just happens to be employed on the next Call of Duty game, the franchise which caused all this trouble for Activision in the first place.

/tinfoilhat

You can take the tinfoil hat off. You're not the only one who made that connection. :)

Oh the sarcasm in the last line. I love you people.

Either way, EA is probaly competing for the worst Publisher #2 along with Ubisoft with their DRM systems. Dear god.

I still forgive you EA, at least you are not as bad as Ubisoft and Activision.

People who make entertainment should be a little more fun-loving....

Seems like games devs have been moving their head offices to Menzoberranzan lately, what's up with that?

*snickers* Good article. Very brief, to the point, lots of relevant links and a detached sense of humor about it all. Then again...heh...maybe I am a bit too biased in my judgement on such a topic. :)

"I didn't mean to bring attention to myself by bashing my former mega-corporation employer on a public forum. Honest I didn't."

Seriously, is the entire game industry populated by junior high students? This crap of "laying into" people who you don't get along with is just so pathetic and low-class. You're not being clever or witty, you're just being petty.

Bloody hell. These people just leave one big publisher and join another. Does he really think that Activision is going to treat him any differently than EA -- in both companies' eyes, he's just a means to an end; a way to make money.

So Infinity Ward employees left Activision to join EA, and Visceral's GM left EA to join Activision. Eventually, Activision will become EA and vice versa.

EDIT: Hmm... wait. Both EA and Activision are evil incarnate. Perhaps we're already closer to my last point than I thought.

Tom Goldman:
Schofield left EA to become the head of Activision studio Sledgehammer Games, which is currently working on a new FPS in the Call of Duty series.

The guy must be a glutton for punishment. He left EA, who reportedly treated him like shit, to join Activision, who had the whole Infinity Ward debacle and has Bobby Kotick as CEO? The guy who wants to take the fun out of making videogames? Believe me, Kotick is never going to live that quote down, it'll become the Godwin's Law of videogames. But yeah, Schofield has pretty much been screwed both ways here. Talk about out of the frying pan...

As daft as it sounds though, he honestly doesn't deserve that. He made a great game, Dead Space, among others, and yet he claims he was treated like crap. Sometimes you just have to look at the industry bigwigs and wish them all the joys of the Ten Plagues. Albeit in videogame form, and with American McGee and Clive Barker adding creative input...

Iam sorry he claims that he made dead space for EA yeah what about the rest of the 100 or more people who worked on it. i can see why he was "treated badly" he sounds like a douche to me.

Mr. Grey:

I dunno, I rarely follow these things... just seems like another slapfight to me. Did he leave voluntarily or was he forced to?

not just the second where's the third game as well

why must there be drama in the game industry can't they just ignore it and make games

Arkhangelsk:
Why does it seem that EA and Activision will soon own the whole video game industry in 2 big-ass evil empires? Their names appear everywhere.

Because they are two big-ass evil empires?

EA has a history of treating games like a business and opperating on the idea that if you add 1 and 1 you must always get 2 where as the gaming industry's monolithic successes tend to go by the formula that 1 and 1 will equal 3 or 4 if given enough time.

This isn't really anything new.

Well with any luck, all the real talent with shift towards companies like Valve, leaving EA and Activision to rework Madden and Tony Hawk once a year and have nothing else to release, while Valve have enough staff to release a dozen grade A games a year with tons of support for free updates and patches without any dumb DRM cos Steam does that.

We could hope anyway.

It's alright EA, I forgive you. You seem to be on the mend and starting to make great game after great game. Just don't make this a habit okay :D

The_root_of_all_evil:

Tom Goldman:
Hopefully Schofield won't get treated as badly at Activision. I hear nobody has ever had a problem over there.

Now THAT's sarcasm. Jolly good show. ;)

Indeed. It seems like he just went from the frying pan to the fire.

At least there's no type of Omerta...

EA or Activision... decisions decisions...

Finally freedom.

Maybe he got to fetch only two soy lattes and a box of 12x70 buckshot per hour for his boss, and finally, the broom closet is now emptied for his office, so he can leave the baby seals meat refrigerator room.

A little slice of heaven right there beneath tax avoidance office documents and suspect employees incinerator. Should be nice and warm in the winter.

Dead Space 4? Oh fuck, that cannot be good at all...

I'm really just surprised that there are this many stupid people who put something up on Twitter and then are surprised when it gets all over the news.

buy teh haloz:
Dead Space 4? Oh fuck, that cannot be good at all...

Captain Pancake:
"Dead Space 4"? One sequel at a time, buddy.

Terrible humour aside, I have to agree that you hear about major companies treating the working artisans like shit all the time. Maybe if EA, Microsoft, Activision and the like treated their developers with respect we might have some higher quality games out today.

Mr. Grey:

Re-read it, he just was using 4 instead of "for", judging by the lack of italics on "4".

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here