Nintendo Places Skyward Sword in Zelda Timeline

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

The Zelda timeline is more puzzling than a hundred Water Temples, but producer Eiji Aonuma has offered a tiny clue to where the new game fits.

Does Minish Cap come before Majora's Mask? Does Link's Awakening come after Twilight Princess? Nintendo is very reluctant to say exactly how all the Legend of Zelda games fit together, but in an interview with ONM, Aonuma revealed where the upcoming Skyward Sword is placed, albeit it in a vague way.

Aonuma said that having discussed the reveal with Shigeru Miyamoto, he was able to confirm Skyward Sword came before Ocarina of Time. This likely won't come as much of a surprise to Zelda historians, as it's already been revealed that the Skyward Sword turns into the Master Sword, meaning that the game pre-dates any game that has the Master Sword in it, but it's unusual to get that kind of definite confirmation.

The reason that Nintendo kept the timeline under wraps, Aonuma said, was so that it didn't constrain itself when it came to making new titles; saying that if he said a particular title was the first Zelda game, Nintendo would be unable to make a game before that. "For us to add titles to the series," he added. "We have to have a way of putting the titles before or after each other."

Source: via Go Nintendo

Well, vague is better than saying nothing at all...although, you would think by now someone would have destroyed that water temple!!! ><

Well, if it's skyward, how do you cut anything that isn't jumping over you?

Minish Cap surely came first, as that's how Link got his hat!

Calumon: There's a timeline?

I wish Nintendo would release more information about this game. Aside from the awkward E3 demo, this timeline information is all we have to speculate.

It's still better than pretending there IS no continity.

So wait... you're big link, then you turn into little link once the skyward sword becomes the mastersword, and then you become big link again?

I thoguth Star Wars books created a confusing storyline....

Can you guys just tell us the time line already?

Well, that would mean Gannon can't possibly be in this game. Seeing as the Gerudo prince Ganondorf got turned into Gannon at the end of Ocarina of Time.

And he got killed hundreds of years later on the SNES in A Link to the Past, which mentioned the Master Sword never got used again during the ending sequence.

So they claim that there isn't a timeline (they sent that form letter to both me and Ocarinahero10) then make vauge references like this? Seriously, if I didn't have limitless respect for Miyamoto and Legend of Zelda, I would be pretty pissed off.

Still, it does make sense that they won't say which game comes first.

Though I'm still curious as to how the Skyward Sword turns into the Master Sword, when according to A Link to the Past's instruction manual, the Master Sword was forged my the people of Hyrule because they suspected Ganon's power was granted by Triforce magic.

Jack and Calumon:

Didn't Minish Cap come later? I remember something about the Picori Sword being made after the Master Sword. I may be wrong though.

Celtic_Kerr:
So wait... you're big link, then you turn into little link once the skyward sword becomes the mastersword, and then you become big link again?

I thoguth Star Wars books created a confusing storyline....

Can you guys just tell us the time line already?

Reincarnation. Many of the games point out that there's a legendary hero that gets reborn when things go wrong. He was created by the three goddesses as a failsafe to protect the lands.

Heck, Link to the Past has you search the descendants of the sages that sealed Gannon in the holy world. In Ocarina of Time you seal Gannon there with the help of the original sages.

I guess this is true... But STILL... come on... Tell us the order of things

If Miyamoto did manage to come up with a cohesive timeline, I wouldn't think it could prevent them from making more games, as Aonuma said. I mean, according to nearly every Zelda historian/theorist, there have been countless clues in every game that shows there is a connection to each story. If anything, they have been creating a timeline, it's only the fans who have been able to put the pieces together.

That being said, now I'm imagining Miyamoto dressed up as The Riddler getting angry for whenever a Zelda historian/theorist solves more of the puzzle.

The only cohesive timeline I've ever come up with involves three games.. Ocarina of Time-Majoras Mask-Wind Waker.

I call that the Hyrule Trilogy and the centrepiece of the Zelda games. All the other games are just scattered around the place and don't really slot in as getting crudely stitched in.

Let's be honest: There's probably no definitive timeline.

I love Zelda either way though...

Didn't they say there is no timeline? Or did they backtrack while I wasn't looking?

how about they don't do a timeline at all? I dont want a timeline..if its not gonna be defined.

well Nintendo seems to be deliberately messing with fans
first their is a timeline, then their isn't and now their is again
Oh My

I just kinda assumed that they shared the same concept as the Final Fantasy "timelines". Most of them just happened, with little pretense to any others.

Macgyvercas:
Seriously, if I didn't have limitless respect for Miyamoto and Legend of Zelda, I would be pretty pissed off.

Perhaps it is time to impose some limits? ;-)

I prefer Ocarina of Time coming first, because when all the other games refer to a "legendary hero," given the context they are speaking of, it always fits properly with Link as the Hero of Time.

Wouldn't is be weird if they did have an official Zelda timeline that would satisfy everyone and one day they made a Legends of Zeldas game where you could travel through the time to key moments of all of the Zelda games in order to make sure the master sword ended up in the right place or something similar. You could play the "it's dangerous to go alone" guy.

Jack and Calumon:

That's what I don't understand...

Logan Westbrook:

I thought some dude sent a letter to Nintendo inquiring about a timeline, and Nintendo responded by saying each game is independent of one another, existing in new worlds created by the developers? I'm just confused...

Having said that, after Wind Waker, I was sure there was a timeline too. But, as I said, I'm just confused.

Does it matter?

None of them are related anyway, are they?

Ayjona:

Macgyvercas:
Seriously, if I didn't have limitless respect for Miyamoto and Legend of Zelda, I would be pretty pissed off.

Perhaps it is time to impose some limits? ;-)

Not yet.

Give me about 5 more years, or a brain explosion from confusion, whichever comes first. THEN I'll talk about limits.

AboveUp:

Heck, Link to the Past has you search the descendants of the sages that sealed Gannon in the holy world. In Ocarina of Time you seal Gannon there with the help of the original sages.

OoT's and ALttP's sages are different ones, though. The ones in ALttP's past were accompanied by knights, of which that Link was a descendant.

Plus, the sages in OoT didn't seem like would be going out and having kids after the adventure was over.

SuperMse:
I prefer Ocarina of Time coming first, because when all the other games refer to a "legendary hero," given the context they are speaking of, it always fits properly with Link as the Hero of Time.

Well OoT didn't come first, but it did create two seperate universes do to the time split.

But I think there was only like one or two games that came before it.

Woodsey:
Does it matter?

Only in small ways. And Ganon is always the same Ganon.

There was actually an article on THIS website about there being no timeline!

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/93128-Nintendo-Lays-To-Rest-Zelda-Timeline-Mystery

All right Nintendo, you can't say that you "need a timeline" to make a game and then tell the fans "there is no timeline". Obviously there is, otherwise how could we possibly be playing a game about the history of the master sword? If each game is different and in a different timeline/universe then the history of the master sword in this new game should have no bearing or power in any other game. And we all know that's false!

Well if it's true it completely rules out Ganon as a villain (as no one knew of his plans at the beginning of Ocarina of time), so hopefully they'll think of something cool; Majora's mask was a particularly awesome departure, so I'm sure they could pull it off.

Woodsey:
Does it matter?

Wind Waker had a lot of references to Ocarina of Time but you really have to struggle to link, no pun intended, all of the titles together.

I think it would be cool if nintendo just started the Zelda series over, only with a cohesive plot that spans hundreds of games, that way we can break the horrid monotony of these "trilogy" games like Mass Effect and Assassin's Creed, and Gears of War. It would also prove that Zelda games are the best.

Jack and Calumon:

It exists in a realm far beyond human comprehension, young padawan. Only the Makers can truely say for definate what game comes before what game.

OT: The time-line to me is one massive brain-fuck, so there is no real point in bothering about it. Getting it straightened out is not worth anyones time.

I read in an interview in ONM-the same magazine this new interview has came from-with one of the Zelda bigwigs,that when asked about the timeline,they laughed and said that at Nintendo HQ,they had a big document listing the time line of the games.In fact,they tried compiling the timeline themselves,in one of their issues,which had a few notes saying 'confirmed place' at a couple of the games.I'll try and find it now.

EDIT:I've found it.They've tried to construct their own time line,but they came to the conclusion of "Even so,perhaps the most convincing solution to the time line conundrum is that,well,there isn't one." I can type up and scan in their time line if you guys want.

Jack and Calumon:

no jack actually minish cap has to be at the end of the timeline because it looks like wind waker and is thought to be located in the new hyrule found at the end of said game

Outright Villainy:
Well if it's true it completely rules out Ganon as a villain (as no one knew of his plans at the beginning of Ocarina of time), so hopefully they'll think of something cool; Majora's mask was a particularly awesome departure, so I'm sure they could pull it off.

well I think it maybe ganon as he was there before ganondorf

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or