EA: Nintendo's 3DS is "Magical"

Pages 1 2 NEXT

EA: Nintendo's 3DS is "Magical"

Do you believe in magic? Those that have played the Nintendo 3DS do.

I'm starting to get the idea that the Nintendo 3DS is either a revolutionary device, or it's inputting subliminal messages into everybody's minds and Nintendo will be using it to take over the world. EA's chief operating officer John Schappert recently told Industry Gamers that after seeing the 3DS at E3 he thought it was so incredible that it must have been conjured up by a wizard.

Specifically, he said: "The 3DS is magical. You put that in your hand, you look down, and all of a sudden it's in 3D without glasses. That's an amazing experience. I'm a huge fan." Schappert believes it will sell like "hot cakes" and the 3DS has "re-energized the industry."

He might be talking up the device because, as he also pointed out, EA has FIFA, Madden, and Sims games in development for the 3DS. He admitted, slightly crazily: "The thing I like about being a third party publisher is... I've got bets on all these things. I want them all to be successful; they're all my children and I love them all." It's great that the man loves his job, but am I the only one a little scared by that last statement?

Even Nintendo has admitted that marketing the 3DS is tricky, but when people are calling it "magical," others are saying it changed their lives, and television show hosts are freaking out, it's hard to not get excited. If the 3DS ends up being cool enough, I probably wouldn't even mind being forced to believe Reggie Fils-Aime is my lord.

Source: Industry Gamers

It does sound impressive, but the iPad claims to be magical and revolutionary too and I'm still entirely uninterested in it.
The 3DS does sound worth getting so far to me though.

Honestly, if this praise continues we're going to have the most praised thing in this industry. Perhaps more than Half Life.

Calumon: But not more than Portal.

3DS does sound like the first instance of 3D being worth hassle. Once again nintendo is five steps ahead of everyone else.

Well, it sounds interesting, and I'm definitely getting it. However, never underestimate EA's capacity for hyperbole.

Still, I haven't heard anything but good news about this, even from people I totally trust, so I'm optimistic.

ALL HAIL THE MAGIC 3DS!

Eh, I heard it would have better graphics. I'm interested at least.

its only "magic" once you had a few shrooms and started freaking out

Everything becomes magical after some shrooms. Where do you think EA puts all the money they get from the huge rip-off known as Madden? 'shrooms man!

And by magic they mean IT'S NOT REAL.

Not real 3D I mean.

Every time I keep hearing praise about this thing, the higher my eyebrow raises. I really doubt this thing is the best thing since sliced bread. While I've only tried the PS3 3D (and its umm how you say. Cool but for how long? kind of a thing)

I really see me not using the 3D aspect of this at all. Something also tells me that 3D slider can only go down so far and you're still stuck using some kind of 3D.

Just see people getting sick of it rather quickly. Kind of like having to put your greasy hands all over a giant screen.

It does sound magical and I do hope it doesn't use subliminal messages because I seen one and I thou- ALL GLORY TO THE 3DS!!!

Does the word "Hype" sound the warning bell?

Seriously though, i have already decided to get the 3DS because i've got high hopes for it. But the way everyone talks about it you'd think it was made by God's divine hands, blessed by Jesus and brought from heaven by angels or something.

i still don't see the point in 3D

Tom Goldman:
If the 3DS ends up being cool enough, I probably wouldn't even mind being forced to believe Reggie Fils-Aime is my lord.

I already believe Shigeru Miyamoto is my lord, so this will simply be another holy relic for me to buy on launch day.

I plan to get one, mostly because my DS is getting tired after all those years

It will be magic for those who can actually see the 3D in effect...for, other wells...another console

LawlessSquirrel:
It does sound impressive, but the iPad claims to be magical and revolutionary too and I'm still entirely uninterested in it.
The 3DS does sound worth getting so far to me though.

Yeah, this. I'm extremely skeptical of the 3DS mainly because Nintendo has always ridden this wave with their previous console(s). Remember the Wii? Remember how when it was first announced and people started playing it people were going "Whoa! It's, like, totaly reading my movements! This will, like, TOTALLY revolutionize gaming and immersion!" and after a few months people just didn't care about it anymore?

I bout the Wii and DS both out of impulse buys because all my friends had one. I have barely touched my Wii in the last couple months and my DS only gets turned on during long plane rides. I guess I'm not really a Nintendo boy here, but suffice to say I'm taking everything with Nintendo in it with a healthy amount of salt.

Whether the 3DS will be some revolutionary new innovation or yet another "gimmick" we'll have to wait and see. But for now, I'm not falling for the hype like I did with the Wii and DS.

SomeBritishDude:
3DS does sound like the first instance of 3D being worth hassle. Once again nintendo is five steps ahead of everyone else.

They aren't just 5 steps ahead of everyone else, they took those 5 steps then jumped into a light speed rocket and flew off. Nobody is quite sure how far ahead they are now, but we can rest assured that with things like the 3DS its pretty damn far.

Miyamoto is God and Reggie is his prophet. This picture is proof:

I can't remember being as excited about any console as I have been about the 3DS. If it lives up to one quarter of the hype and the real life is half as impressive as the screenshots I will be a happy camper. If it has a Skype client I will replace my cell phone with it.

he's right, this guy conjured it...

personaly i love 3d movies but hate stationary 3d things so maybe it could suck maybe it could be jesus incarnate, maybe that will change game to game.

Im totally looking forward to the 3DS

Yeah... fucking magnets, how do they work?

Fuckin 3DS's, how do they work? Must be a miracle ;)

EDIT: FUUUUU-
damn ninja's :(

EA... weren't these the people who jumped head first on the Wii bandwagon, thinking it was the way forward, then a year or two later started complaining they got a bit too over-excited over it and their sales weren't doing very well?

Well, you know what they say, history repeats itself...

It figures that EA should have people in charge with no understanding of technology whatsoever.

What about Magnets, then?

Ulquiorra4sama:
Does the word "Hype" sound the warning bell?.

what do you expect?

EA already has around 50 games on the DS platform so there is bound to be a hidden agenda(...in thier pockets) in this little "review"

Now its the time! From now on, magic will rule over science!
Wait, this is revolt aready, right?

Furburt:
However, never underestimate EA's capacity for hyperbole ... good news about this, even from people I totally trust, so I'm optimistic.

This part!

OT:
Read Furburt's post. that's my train of thought.

Goddamn, I love Nintendo. Very excited for the 3DS. Doesn't the technology technically make it holographic, meaning that Nintendo is one of the first to propel us forward into the future?

That is awesome, if true.

you'll always have a friend wearing big red shoes

I'm getting it because nintendo handhelds are always awesome. That and it has a built in swappable memory. I could care less what gimmicky thing is going on with it as long as they make awesome games like the Prof. Layton series for this run of the DS.

Xersues:

I really see me not using the 3D aspect of this at all. Something also tells me that 3D slider can only go down so far and you're still stuck using some kind of 3D.

Every person who has held it and used it say that you can turn the real 3D effect off entirely so you can play your 3D games without ever seeing the third dimension for real.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here