YouTube Videos Hide Secret Reptillian Game

YouTube Videos Hide Secret Reptillian Game

If waiting for YouTube videos to load bores you, now the website features a hidden videogame to play.

It's been discovered that a videogame is embedded inside certain videos on YouTube. Now the site's visitors can play a game of Snake while they watch overweight children get demeaned by their peers.

It looks like the game is a recent addition as nobody seems to have noticed it before. Details are a little shaky but it seems the game can only be played in videos where the progress bar "pops up" when moused over. You can make the game appear by clicking on a video to activate it, then holding the left arrow key. After completing these complicated tasks, a series of linked dots appears, which is the "snake."

The video cannot be embedded: You must go to the actual video page to play the game. It was first thought that the video had to be in the gaming category, but this isn't the case. Just click on the proper type of video, hold left, and voila. YouTube Snake is a little lame, but it probably had to be to remain unobtrusive.

Snake is played with the arrow keys. Players move the snake around to collect the flashing dots endlessly. Every time the snake eats a dot, it gets longer, making the snake harder to maneuver without hitting the wall or itself, which results in a game over.

Back in May, Google added a playable version of Pac-Man to its logo. Google owns YouTube. Does Google want videogames to be part of everything it has its billion-dollar hands in? Let's hope so.

Via: Kotaku

Well I'll be damned. It works. Underwhelming, but lulzy.

I wish I knew why I love things like this, I really do but it makes no sense. I can see myself spending alot of time not watching videos on youtube while on youtube for awhile now.

Pretty cool, if somewhat useless.

Just tried it, and it seems to work on videos from any other category too. It's hard to take Trevor McDonald seriously when several linked dots are flying around his head.
For Google's next videogame tie-in, I say they do Galaga or Dig Dug. Either one of those would be interesting.

I did this yesterday on the community-made thread, and I must say, it works, and I shat bricks.

my record is 3 points, annoying how it rewinds the video though.

Thats pretty cool, I must say...

It's pretty underwhelming. Also it appears I can't play the game while the video is playing.

I prefer the depth of Google Pacman.

This is like some weird matrix type shit. Like if you play it long enough, you'll be contacted by some creepy weirdo.

TheYellowCellPhone:
I did this yesterday on the community-made thread, and I must say, it works, and I shat bricks.

Indeed, I shat bricks as well. Escapist should pay attention to these kind of threads, usually they have their sources already available from their own community.

Either way, amazing.

cjbos81:
This is like some weird matrix type shit. Like if you play it long enough, you'll be contacted by some creepy weirdo.

that reminds me of a south park episode where heaven wants kenny dead so that he can defeat hell's army and he got chosen because he got a high score on a game

imnotparanoid:
my record is 3 points, annoying how it rewinds the video though.

I got 4

Ruddy 'ell it works aswell! Although its pointless its quite the find.

You think it's pretty lame? I thinks it's pretty awesome!

Yea I found this yesterday. There are a couple of video's going round telling you how to do it.

And this is why Google is awesome.

Man ,this isn't really useful ,but it's awesome as hell!
Seriously, this is cool.

I have to say that is extremly cool.
The skip back is kinda annoying but I can see that entertaining me while I wait for a video to load.

Should be in all videos so when my gf tells me to look up some music video I can play.

Interesting but I imagine it would get boring quickly.

Heighten the pitch of this guy's voice and it's Cartman :D especially from 0:05 to 0:13

OMG I saw those dots when I was watching a video I was liek WTF?

Wow. This is almost as good as when you type in "where is Chuck Norris" into Google and click the "I'm feeling lucky" button. Frikkin' funny, man.

I wonder if this has any relation to Google Games, it would make for some interesting form of advertising I would think. It would give more of a feeling of association of Google with games. This is kinda cool for sure! I just got done playing it. It's kinda distracting when the video is playing, but still it's more than interesting lol ^~^!

The Code:
Wow. This is almost as good as when you type in "where is Chuck Norris" into Google and click the "I'm feeling lucky" button. Frikkin' funny, man.

.......I probably shouldn't but I'm going to do it anyways.

.......Awesome. Easter eggs of the internet, who'd a thought?

Sneaky devils! Gotta love easter eggs! I would have never spotted this

That's kinda cool in a unexpected sort of way.

'If you're ever watching something and it's kind of boring...go ahead and play some snake while watching it.' Or you could just close the tab.....

Doesn't work for me, wonder if it has something to do with me using a laptop?

Thats pretty cool, shame the guy playing is rubbish!

Interesting! Finally, something to make all those Downfall videos entertaining.

Demon ID:
I wish I knew why I love things like this, I really do but it makes no sense. I can see myself spending alot of time not watching videos on youtube while on youtube for awhile now.

It's like a chain of procrastinations!
Be on youtube to avoid work/responsibilities.
Be playing snake to avoid youtube!
Now how to I avoid this 'snake' thing?

Awesome, yes.

Useful, yes. I like to download lots of stuff, which maked youtube very slow. Now I can play snake while I wait.

Just a note, you don't need to press left. Any direction works fine. Up is probably the best for it since it doesnt fast forward or rewind your vid. lol

Ah, yes, Snake. History's greatest time waster.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here