BioWare Mythic Surprised by Blizzard Real ID Plans

Pages 1 2 NEXT

BioWare Mythic Surprised by Blizzard Real ID Plans

Blizzard badly misread its community, says BioWare Mythic's general manager.

Blizzard's plan to force posters to use their real names on its forums was met with a great deal of resistance and was scrapped just days later. But while Blizzard might have changed its mind about Real ID, BioWare Mythic's general manager Eugene Evans said that he was surprised that Blizzard had proposed it in the first place.

Evans said that Blizzard had badly misread its community, but was pleased to see them responding to feedback. "We should all learn to listen to our communities," he said. "Their community made it very clear what the right answer is."

When asked if his company might implement a similar scheme, Evans simply stated that it was something BioWare Mythic would never do. Warhammer Online producer Carrie Goukous was more emphatic however, saying "No. Never. Never. No," to the idea and added that she'd personally had some very negative experiences with similar systems in the past, and that she would fight such a system "tooth and nail."

Source: Eurogamer

I can't help the feeling that it is incredibly easy to say "Nay, we never would have thougth of that" after the whole thing is off the table, because of some kind of riot.

Can't believe were still talking about this

Trust Bioware to speak the truth..

I love you Bioware...

I heard that Blizzard only thought of doing it because it was a legal requirement in South Korea. Blizzard were faced with the choice of blocking their forums for South Korea and alienating one of their most loyal fanbases or implementing real id on their forums.

no never never no! I like what im hearing here

Yeah Bioware, you are really ontop of things lately aren't you?

In reality, we are done with it and we all asked the same question like you did but we don't featured like you do. Stop talking, start making DEM GAMEZ SON!

I still don't understand why people couldn't just use false names still.

I for one would be calling myself Hugh Jardon.

Ugh, this is basically an excuse for Bioware to laugh at Blizzard for trying an Idea.

Yeah, it was a bad idea and the fans didn't want it to happen, they scrapped it, fair enough. Bioware had no reason to have any response to this other than to gloat.

Honestly I doubt half the staff at blizzard even thought it was a good Idea.

I've lost some respect for Bioware for: A. Reviving the issue
B. Sounding incredibly smarmy for going "Yeah we'd
never do that lol"

Please, read people: they were ASKED about their opinions on the issue, so they gave them. They didn't call a press conference to gloat about the fact that they would never dream of implementing something so stupid.

And here I thought much of this forum was anti-Blizzard, but everybody seems to be rushing to their defense. Blizzard and Bioware are my two favorite companies. Bottom line is that neither of them has done anything wrong here.

As much as I love BioWare, they're starting to remind me of politicians that point out the mistakes made by someone else, then turn to the camera and give a winning smile with a wink. I love their games and I have complete faith in them, but... maybe it's time to take a step back and not make a press release calling everybody else a tosser whenever possible.

SODAssault:
As much as I love BioWare, they're starting to remind me of politicians that point out the mistakes made by someone else, then turn to the camera and give a winning smile with a wink. I love their games and I have complete faith in them, but... maybe it's time to take a step back and not make a press release calling everybody else a tosser whenever possible.

Apparently they were asked of their opinion on the matter. I am giving the glary eye to the one who asked and tried to necro a past event.

More Fun To Compute:
I heard that Blizzard only thought of doing it because it was a legal requirement in South Korea. Blizzard were faced with the choice of blocking their forums for South Korea and alienating one of their most loyal fanbases or implementing real id on their forums.

Korean forums exist under a completely different domain, among other things. It's not hard to change that and keep the others as they were.

The huge problem with having your real name on a forum/game is your workplace no exactly why you were late this morning.

Also what if you happen to be a former victim of domestic abuse with a stalking ex?.

That was a bit of Brain Fade by the guys at Blizzard, but we all know it and don't need Bioware to spell it out to us.

Straying Bullet:

Apparently they were asked of their opinion on the matter. I am giving the glary eye to the one who asked and tried to necro a past event.

In that case, we're both on the same page, now. I guess I should be less up-in-arms over what BioWare's saying, and more peeved about the whole "HEY GUYS, YOU'LL NEVER GUESS WHAT THOSE SNOTTY BASTARDS AT BIOWARE ARE SAYING NOW" thing we've got going on right now.

Nick Thaler:
Can't believe were still talking about this

The reason we are still talking about this is because it has been thought up, brought to the table, and though taken off by Blizzard any other gaming company may decide they DO want to use it.
Gamers get complacent and we lose things we like such as localized multilayer and dedicated servers. So even though it is off the table now, our anonymity is still in danger in the long-term.

Woodsey:

If you've previously used a credit cfard to pay it stores that name. There is no way to change or delete it. I tried really hard, but it knew my real name and was going to tell the world if I posted. Stupid plan.

Mackheath:
I've lost some respect for Bioware for: A. Reviving the issue
B. Sounding incredibly smarmy for going "Yeah we'd
never do that lol"

You do know they were probably asked about it and this was their answer right? Rarely do people just announce things without first being asked to give their opinion.

["No. Never. Never. No," was Warhammer Online producer Carrie Gouskos' matter-of-fact response when asked by Eurogamer whether BioWare Mythic would ever implement Real ID. ]

Case and point. SOMEONE ASKED THEM, THEY DID NOT REVIVE THE ISSUE.

Yeah, Mythic is really well known for listening to their community - right?

Oh wait no, both Dark Age of Camelot (with Trials of Atlantis) and Warhammer Online (with...pretty much every aspect of the game) reached critically low population levels because Mythic stuck its head in the sand and ignored the community to follow their 'vision'.

It's highly entertaining that a company basically known for ignoring the community is criticizing a much more successful company for...listening to their community too slowly?

Actual:

Woodsey:

If you've previously used a credit cfard to pay it stores that name. There is no way to change or delete it. I tried really hard, but it knew my real name and was going to tell the world if I posted. Stupid plan.

That sounds almost illegal.

Actual:

Woodsey:

No it doesn't, or else my account would have like a bunch of names on it. Mine didn't have my real name in case something like this went down anyway, but yeah didn't think the worst idea a video game company ever had would go through anyway.

Bioware riding on justice here, trying to rise some good publicity for themselves. Dont blame them, but...seems a little cheap of them to do this shot at them

Yes, since the colossal success of WoW, Blizzard are too busy swimming in pools full of money and they are as in touch with their fanbase as Axl Rose was after 5 days without sleep and a shot of heroin. What else is new? I thought the state of Bnet 2.0 already showed that pretty clearly, the RealID fiasco didn't surprise me at all.

Eurogamer should ask more relevant questions in their interviews.

Michael Flick:
Honestly I doubt half the staff at blizzard even thought it was a good Idea.

Some higher ups probably thought of it and the rest/lower ranks mostly just kept their mouths shut, i know if i wanted to see someone lose face or didnt want to make waves id stay quite on it.

Hindsight 20/20.

Also, it's funny, but this thread is like a PERFECT example of why EA changed Mythic's name to BioWare Mythic :P

Man, people here are prone to mood swings, aren't they?

Blizzard announces their plan for SC2, it's suddenly highway robbery. But if someone makes an ill needed comment, they suddenly defend Blizzard like rabid fanboys.

Sometimes I am disappoint. -_-

Jaredin:
Bioware riding on justice here, trying to rise some good publicity for themselves. Dont blame them, but...seems a little cheap of them to do this shot at them

They are a bit to late tbh.

This is exactly why interviewer questions, that directly reference specific competitors as an example, tend to make my blood boil. The one being questioned has to answer within that specific frame of reference and in the end it looks as if they specifically wanted to slag that specific competitor off in case the opinion tends to be more negative.

Happened with FF13, happened here and will happen in the future. Ah well...guess it makes for more exciting journalism and hot debating drama. Too bad though that such debate inevitably always ends up as nothing more than the equivalent of old wives gossiping around a sowing circle.

Uhh, Bioware Mythic is just a different name for what used to be Mythic Entertainment, i don't think this counts as official Bioware opinion, at least not the "proper" Bioware... It's a little late to be talking about this anyway, everyone moved on already.

"Ah Carrie, I still have your toenail clippings from our time together! I for one am FOR realdol-uh I mean realID......"

It was a really stupid idea and it's good to see no other Dev is following it. I don't think Blizzard deserve the slightest bit of hatred over this though. They tried a new idea, no one wanted it so they didn't force it. I think it's great.

More Fun To Compute:
Blizzard were faced with the choice of blocking their forums for South Korea and alienating one of their most loyal fanbases or implementing real id on their forums.

This wouldn't be the case as the Koreans will have their own game servers and forums, just like the EU, US and China do. It may have inspired it, so that the codebase for all the forums would be the same, but it's not really going to fly over here.

I dislike everything to do with this realID thing. I guess if I end up playing blizzard game(s) again, I'll just have to make do with adding people to whichever messenger they have, as before. Shame I can't use a "global" but-not-my-name ID, like I can everywhere else.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here