University Videogame Will Teach Girls to Say "No" to Sex

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

University Videogame Will Teach Girls to Say "No" to Sex

A new game that's being developed with taxpayer money will use "digital puppets" to teach young women about how to deal with, and avoid, being pressured into sex by classmates and friends.

Peer pressure is a huge factor in the way teens behave, and it can often lead to some bad decisions about important issues like sexual activity and drug use. So how do you teach pre-teens about how to avoid giving in to it? You make a videogame.

The University of Central Florida is currently working on a game designed to teach pre-teen girls about how to resist getting into sexual situations due to peer pressure. According to a local Fox News story, the game is being funded with $434,000 of taxpayer money, and is using some surprisingly advanced technology to make the scenarios as realistic as possible.

The game apparently uses motion-capture technology to turn the in-game avatars into "digital puppets." Instead of using a keyboard or gamepad to control a character's actions, players wear motion-capture suits and infra-red lights track the a the movement. According to Charles Hughes, one of the Computer Science professors working on the game, "...one person controls many characters by jumping into the skin."

The core idea behind the gameplay is that pre-teen girls will be approached by boys of the same age who will ask them to engage in various types of risqué behavior. Players will earn points by not letting these girls give in to the pressure.

The unnamed game is tentatively expected to come out next year, so it'll be a little while before anyone can determine if its price tag was justified.

Source: MY Fox Orlando via GamePolitics

And exactly 0% of the people will use it. No one wants to play a crappy psa game. This is a waste of the American tax payers money.

*EDIT* Haha, I just noticed the image is from Fox News.

I don't see the point of this, guess I've never really been big on peer pressure.

I can already see the statistics for how well people are doing on this game...

"Pre-teen girls: 90% choose to avoid sexual acts"

"Teen girls: 60% choose to avoid sexual acts"

"Japanese Adult Men: 0% choose to avoid sexual acts"

I kid, I kid

Do people even talk to girls about these things?

Why is it just aimed at girls?

Believe me, they're every bit as bad when it comes to forcing guys into sex, it just depends on the person.

I'd like to be the first to note the "fox news" logo on the bottom left hand.

And as for this, whatever happened to parents talking to their kids about sex, safe sex, and the magic word "no"?

Hm... I agree with ultimateownage... I doubt anyone would buy this. And if more taxpayer money goes into distribution to schools... Yeah no

Game:

"Do you want to have sex?"

"No"

1000g!

This isnt going to work.. at all...

BURN IT! BEFORE THEY FIND OUT!

I'm sure people have a strong enough mind to not be pressured into sex.

Huh... well if it's actually made well, it could be good. About time we had something teaching teens not to give in to pressure instead of freely throwing out condoms and telling them to have fun. But if the game sucks, it'll do little good.

What an age we live in now where gaming can take over for that petty annoyance that some of us considered 'Parenting'.

[As a point: I've been quoted a lot for this comment, mostly because I assume some people don't read past the first page of comments (with 11 of them I wouldn't either) But the majority of posts have been quoting me as if to educate me, because 'kids have been raised by TV for years now, this is nothing different.' And I know that, I wasn't posting this original post from a position of ignorance, I was a child raised by TV, it's not news to me.]

Taxpayer money used to create something that isn't really necessary, I think I might have a stroke from the shock.

Doctor What:

And as for this, whatever happened to parents talking to their kids about sex, safe sex, and the magic word "no"?

I too noticed that right off the bat as well. And I agree with the doctor as well, why can't parents just frakking talk to their kids about this for the love of the gods?

I'm sorry... wut?

Oh America, you never cease to amuse me with your zany schemes.

Still, I guess we're no better with out nutty tabloid journalists!

dalek sec:

Doctor What:

I too noticed that right off the bat as well. And I agree with the doctor as well, why can't parents just frakking talk to their kids about this for the love of the gods?

Dalek Sec says he agrees with the Doctor. Oh internet, how I love you.

Archemetis:
What an age we live in now where gaming can take over for that petty annoyance that some of us considered 'Parenting'.

Hey, it's just the next step to actually making sense in blaming videogames for occuring crimes really. After all, if someone gets solicited into underage sex it won't be the parents' fault anymore, but this videogame's fault for not doing its job! Or it'll be the family's fault for not taking their kid to experience this videogame! No person ever needs to be blamed!

...eeghhh

yeah all of about three people will play this.....nobody will want to play agame that they know will teach them a lesson...maybe if it was made like a horror game....maybe silent hill esque

My god, this could destroy the world as we know it.

Most people already use video games as parent-replacements. This just takes it one step further.

Game Informer will still give it a 6/10.

So let me get this straight, they are banking on the kids applying video game logic to real life situations...

Riddle me this: in this situation, who can't tell the difference between fantasy and reality?

$434,000 for a game no one can play because they don't have the proper suits. Why do we need fancy technology to tell kids what to do? How about instead of using fear tactics like STD's and stupid things to say like "I wana watch TV instead". Lets have a poster that says "If some one asks you to have sex, and you don't want to, say no and walk away, if the problem continues call a fucking adult."
PSA's are a joke, no one takes them seriously and that fact that this game is taking up almost a half a million is even more disheartening.

Tomtitan:

dalek sec:

Doctor What:

Dalek Sec says he agrees with the Doctor. Oh internet, how I love you.

*Facepalm* I didn't even realize that till you just posted. Still, my complaints with this "game" still stand. That's how crappy it is people, a Dalek and Time Lord both agree on something!

I can't wait to see the strategy guide for this.

Mission 1: Prom Night Capers
"Stay still. The punch is spiked. Don't do anything."

Mission 2: Makeout Point
"Stay still. Make no movement. Don't do anything."

Mission 3: Sleeping in Seattle
"Stay still. Think about getting a different game. Don't do anything."

I am SO looking forward to see the sales figures on this one. If they are going to exist at all.

how awesome does the game get if you agree to have sex with all the boys? answer: WICKED AWESOME.

So let me get this straight, they earn plain old, do nothing points by saying no to what frankly looks like poorly modelled, cel-shaded, virtual avatars.

HOW THE FUCK DOES THIS HELP ANYTHING?!

What happens if someone says yes?
I don't like where this is going...

so wait, you need to own the motion capture thingies, or you'll get them with the game?
also, it sounds kind of dull the way it's put there.
it'd be hilarious to see bossfights though xD

There you go NATAL! something that's almost kinda useful to society to play on you!

Its the blind leading the stupid here.

The government is getting lazier by the minute. Now they're no longer content with blaming games for society's problems, they want to rely on them to teach pre-teens about safe sex. Double standards much?

why do you get points? it make no senses it suppose to teach people why do they get point. will there be leader boards? will you get tickets which will allow you to get prizes? if not then why give the player points.

Somebody has to say it... Only in America!

I cannot believe that anybody is thick enough to genuinely believe you can teach people (who are probably already somewhat socially-inept, or they wouldn't need it) to deal with people by playing a game with computer-people!

Oh come on guys, it will be a fresh, hip, popping way to teach you to say "no" to sex!

...Oh god, I can't believe I type that..even if it was in jest. D:

Edit: I'm going to buy the game JUST, to see if I can get a bad score:

Havng sex
getting into a lesbian affair
getting into a illict teacher/student relationship

...Just joking though on all of that, it will be stupid to make a game that no one but strict parents will play.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here