University Videogame Will Teach Girls to Say "No" to Sex

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

I'm confused, I was pretty sure our testosterone hormones had a much bigger sex driver during the teen years than girls. Also, most girls don't play video games during high school years.

I think they screwed up on the target audience here.

Racecarlock:
I knew my government was stupid, but this bullshit just takes it to new levels. Condoms and birth control pills, my fellow americans. USE THEM!

Sex is STILL sex. That's the problem here. Remember, this is targeted at PRE-TEENS! 12 year olds. condoms of no condoms, that just ain't right.

I think a FAR more effective tactic is to scare the living shit out of the 12 year old BOYS who are fucking around at way too young an age. Educating girls just strikes me as similar to how certain cultures have women wear veils to "prevent men acting out over women's looks".

How about raising males to not be such lecherous perverts? So that they can actually wait till a girl is of legal age before even ASKING!

What happened to being a gentleman?

But everyone knows no means yes! amirite guise? I'm kidding

In all seriousness though, although their intentions are good, their methods are terribly flawed. Who would actually think this would work? Can't the parents talk to their children about sex? Hell, what about sex ed classes in school? Any of that would be better than this. Last I checked, parents have been giving their kids "the talk" for a very long time.

Durp because all guys pressure girls to have sex. I'm pretty sure if one or the other isn't okay with having sex at the moment they'll understand or it's time to find a new partner, the both of you. Wow, I summed it up without millions of dollars, damn I'm good, and asexual, ladies? Hit me up on the Snotphone 555-5545-5.

Why do we need a game to teach people this? Shouldn't they have parents or an adult to teach them? Shouldn't they have common sense?

Treblaine:

Racecarlock:
I knew my government was stupid, but this bullshit just takes it to new levels. Condoms and birth control pills, my fellow americans. USE THEM!

Sex is STILL sex. That's the problem here. Remember, this is targeted at PRE-TEENS! 12 year olds. condoms of no condoms, that just ain't right.

I think a FAR more effective tactic is to scare the living shit out of the 12 year old BOYS who are fucking around at way too young an age. Educating girls just strikes me as similar to how certain cultures have women wear veils to "prevent men acting out over women's looks".

How about raising males to not be such lecherous perverts? So that they can actually wait till a girl is of legal age before even ASKING!

What happened to being a gentleman?

Oh sure, the old "Males are out of control rapist murderers!" defense. Which gender is the term "slut" most commonly applied to? Women. In all fairness, both genders are sex crazed and hormonal. Seriously though, some of these people say "We want less government controlling our lives!" then they turn around and say "Help me with my nutty child, government!". It's ridiculous. I seriously never thought humanity would get this afraid of it's own reproductive system. You never see dogs or cats teaching abstinence to the puppies and kittens.

So tell me, in your experience, have you ever had the choice in a game to either:

1.) Say no.
2.) Say yes.
3.) Say no, and that if they bother you again you will visit such terrible violence upon them that even though a simple shot to the head will do it, it will most likely take the form of something incredibly over the top like an overly powered grenade that explodes, launching them off a building.

. . . and you choose #3? Okay, now how many of us would do this in REAL life? My point being, these girls are going to play the game, be all confident that in a world with no social repercussions they were able to form words coherently to say "no", and then most likely give it up to the first cute guy that asks . . . or at least their experience playing the game won't actually add to their ability to resist it.

I mean, sure I beat Fallout 3 with perfect good karma, but how many of us if actually the lone wanderer would have acted so pure for the entire game?

And I thought people were worried that games had TOO much influence on kids. Now, there's a game to teach kids about sex, as if there's nothing wrong. What the hell?!

And we waste this technology on stupid games instead of things that could actually be interested.

And why must we force no sex lectures on kids? It's just gonna make them want to do it more. Ah, but the days of simply sitting down and talking to your kids is long gone... so instead, spend several hundreds on a simulation to do it for you.

So to play it you need to wear a mo-cap suit? The game may be shit, but they're definitely onto something.

They really don't need to make it so complicated, they just need to make a bunch of different psa's starring the Elite Beat Agents. Now there are some people who I would let control my life!

steampunk42:
yeah all of about three people will play this.....nobody will want to play agame that they know will teach them a lesson...maybe if it was made like a horror game....maybe silent hill esque

Pyramid Head Appears!
What Do?
1-Get Raped
2-Talk
3-Run

If you chose 3, +1000 points!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wait, did you say "be awarded points"?!... that alone makes me predict doom for this.

Fox news logo. I see a Fox news logo.

This may be possibly be the greatest game of all time, simply by the "it's so bad it's good" category.

Oh I compleatly think this will work.
This is compleat Bull Shit!
>=/
After thought, what happened to talking to kids about it, I mean my parents did that for me.
So why spend a bunch of money on something thats not gonna do anything? Because they can.

*facepalm* what in the world are they doing?!

Maybe they can follow it up with an expansion for boys:
'In real life situations, what are you NOT going to do?'

http://www.myfoxatlanta.com/dpp/news/national/Florida-University-Develops-Teen-Abstinence-Game for the original, hilarious story and "risqué" Fox News video.

Also, does anyone else wonder why they don't just use Natal? I mean.. its a ton cheaper than a bloody IR setup with gimp suit and balls.

Also, the professor developing the "game" seems creepy herself.

Also, hilarious reporter to video game technical translation failure, watch video for more.

This is suck.

Maybe things have changed since I was a pre-teen, but I could have sworn that playing video games guaranteed no sex? Or is that only for boys?

has anyone ever read that children's book, "don't let the pigeon drive the bus?" this makes about as much sense as that.

HA i dont envy you guys having to go through college or in high school right now

the baby boomer generation (and a few others) had the fun of the sex drugs and rock n roll now they dont want anyone else to have it....

Gaming can't replicate peer pressure, not even close, this sounds ridiculous to me, however it would be fun to play just to fuck around (no pun intended), and see how bad you can do in the game.

Peer pressure, it's bad when it comes to drugs and sex, but just 'being sociable' when it comes to every thing else. If not entirely good when one's peer pressured against your will to be a devout young person who abstains for everything and is, generally, supposed to be miserable.

Think about what would happen if someone put mods in the game

A tazer will always be the perfect way to say "No".

It's the whole abstinence thing all over again...instead of teaching how to avoid dangerous scenarios or teach safe tips, it spouts the line from Mean Girls, "Don't have sex, or you'll get pregnant and die" Then suddenly handing out free condoms

Why can't my money go into giving Mark Hamill more money to keep voicing the Joker, or into research that will allow man to bring back the dead, so we have have Mr. H Ledger re-compass his role as the Joker in the newest Batman? Why does it have to go to something pointless and like the black man calling the crackers the racist pricks, a major setback and embarrassment to it's kind

not sure if mentioned already..but twilight is already achieving this, as per movie bob's review haha.

Weofparadigm:
I would play it the opposite way. I'd try to see how many dirty things I could do slipping on the skin of a pre-teen girl

I'd do this exact thing. I think most people would prefer to be the town whore as opposed to the girl who kicks every guy in the junk who asks if the seat next to her is taken.

I wonder how far they go.. Anal sex? Threesomes?

Archemetis:
What an age we live in now where gaming can take over for that petty annoyance that some of us considered 'Parenting'.

This is because, in america at least, we are constantly being conditioned to understand that the government is responsible for our well being, instead of being responsible for ourselves. Look at all the frivilous lawsuits which pay people, to be stupid. Look at "no child left behind." You don't have to study, or really do anything, the federal engine will guarantee you get a hs diploma anyway. Even at college, look at all the regulations in the dorms. Once again, implanting the idea in our subconscious that it is the responsibility of whatever organization we happen to attend to keep us from doing stupid things, not our own. Cab services that will bring you back from the frats, no id required. You can't have a toaster, cuz you might try to toast your drapes after smoking a joint. No large knives or firearms because thier very presence may make you use them on your roommate and thier abscence will prevent you from hitting him over the head with a hockey stick, or baseball bat. It's the colleges responsibility to keep the weapons out of your hands, it couldn't possibly be the responsibility of the person involved to decide not to use them. A man or woman expected to take part in deciding the fate of thier country by voting, expected to be able to decide weather or not to risk thier life fighting for that country, is unable to take the responsibility for a decision of weather or not to drink. It is thier state's/country's responsibility to make that decision for them. Next to these things, does it really surprise you that a parent can't be responsible for teaching thier own children how to say no to sex? I almost expect them to say i am incapable of making the decision of what to say when i open my own mouth.

... Just wait for the fan mods that change it so you get more points for how quickly you give in then additional points for each type of sexual activity you engage in. All in full graphic representations and with the body suit that will be extremely interesting.

"Cindy knocked back a 5th of tequila and sucked off a goat in the quad in front of the whole basketball team. +500 points!"
XD

i dont think anyone will even consider saying yes to abominations froom deep in the darkest crevices of the uncanny valley.

This game is gonna be awesome! The only thing I'm going to do when I get it is thrust my pelvis the whole time. I'm immature enough to think the hilarity will excuse the price.

OOOKAY, like this will work. I mean, even if it was effective, how many schools are going to buy motion capture suits and the proper equipment to run this game?

My motto is, they've gotta learn sooner or later!

I kid I kid!

so if this is just a game where you are supposed to say no to everything, why in the holy hell does it have to be motion-controlled? is that in case a girl says yes and has to act things out, or is that so she can kick some guy in the yam-bag when he doesn't take no for an answer?

I can't really argue with the premise of this endeavor, but I don't think this is the best approach at prevent teenage pregnancy. at least I can be happy that virtual reality isn't involved here! the points system makes no sense, unless they want girls to get competitive about how many times they can say no. at least it is a more positive leaderboard to be associated with in this context.

Phyroxis:
http://www.myfoxatlanta.com/dpp/news/national/Florida-University-Develops-Teen-Abstinence-Game for the original, hilarious story and "risqué" Fox News video.

Also, does anyone else wonder why they don't just use Natal? I mean.. its a ton cheaper than a bloody IR setup with gimp suit and balls.

Also, the professor developing the "game" seems creepy herself.

Also, hilarious reporter to video game technical translation failure, watch video for more.

This is suck.

I love the sarcastic smirk on the reporters face when she said "434 million tax payer dollars..."

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here