Blizzard: We Might Return to Console Development

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Blizzard: We Might Return to Console Development

It's been years since Blizzard put out a game on a console, but that doesn't mean it's turned its back on them.

It's easy to think of Blizzard as a PC only developer, after all it created one of the biggest MMORPGs in the world, and has just released StarCraft 2, possibly the most eagerly anticipated PC game in recent history. But despite its current PC focus, Blizzard has also created console games in the past, and says it might do again, for the right game.

Michael Ryder, Blizzard's VP and executive MD of internal operations, said that console games were Blizzard's heritage, but that design decisions and the desire to give its players the best possible experience, had meant that Blizzard had leaned towards in PC development in recent years.

But Ryder also said that Blizzard played all kinds of games, and was "up to speed" on all console platforms. He said that if Blizzard thought that a particular game design would work well on a console, then it might pursue that opportunity.

The last foray that Blizzard made into console development was ill-fated StarCraft: Ghost, which was announced in 2002 and "indefinitely postponed" in 2006. There have been rumors that suggest that Blizzard is in talks to bring Diablo 3 to consoles, but these have yet to be confirmed.

Source: MCV

Hopefully I won't have to keep paying to play it.

Otherwise, (maybe) welcome aboard Blizzard.

If they were going to make a console game, I'd prefer it be an original title.

Just feel like seeing something new is all.

Do it! Do it! Do it!

You can't imagine how much I was burning for this one statement in my LIFE. All I want is a new IP. I don't like Starcraft, Warcraft was divine though.

......does this mean that starcraft:ghost might actually see the light of day?
In that case, I am -so- in favour of this. I was -so- pissed off when it was "indefinitely put on hold". Give me starcraft:ghost to the current-gen consoles (...or well, with blizzards track record it would probably not be finished until the next-gen of consoles) and I'll be a happy camper! :D

Hubilub:
If they were going to make a console game, I'd prefer it be an original title.

Just feel like seeing something new is all.

Hear hear. Something new would be delicious, thankyou.

Lost Vikings 4 please!

Please do this, Blizzard.
Thanks.

GIMME MAH STARCRAFT: GHOST!

Thanks.

Also, a PC version of it would be nice. >_>

D3 would work well on console tbh, its essentially a single playe dungeon crawler. But skill swapping mite suck without a keyboard. tho i guess they can do the whole pause the game while skill swapping thing.

I'd love to see an over the shoulder or third person shooter like GHOST come back on a console. Pad players deserve some Blizzard love too.

Still gonna stick with the PC releases

Eukaryote:
Lost Vikings 4 please!

XD awesome game aint it! so excited about all the Custom Games that can be made in SC2 \o/ (waiting on someone to completely remake SC1, with the sounds and all)

Dear Blizzard:

Stick with what you're good at.

DTWolfwood:
tho i guess they can do the whole pause the game while skill swapping thing.

Sorry to burst that bubble, but pause doesn't work in multi-player. And we all know that it's gonna be best in co-op.

JEBWrench:
Dear Blizzard:

Alienating PC owners?

The_root_of_all_evil:

JEBWrench:
Dear Blizzard:

Alienating PC owners?

I suppose when you look at it like that, developing for consoles would be sticking with their pony's trick.

Just as long as the games are not as atrocious as the N64 port of Starcraft.

Wtb Diablo 3 on xbox tbh.

The_root_of_all_evil:

JEBWrench:
Dear Blizzard:

Alienating PC owners?

Alienating?? They have one of the most popular MMOs in the world, a hugely popular RTS series, especially in Korea, not to mention Diablo. If that's alientation, I'd like a slice of it :)

I read this and can't help but feel that whats really being said is, "Blizzard is going to make cash-grab games for the consoles, at the urging of Bobby Kotick."

Blizzard:
We're thinking of making even more money.

You'd be silly not to...

This wont happen for years. Diablo 3 won't be on consoles and i think they're going to be working on Starcraft 2 part 2 and 3 for the next few years.
I think it's one of those tired have-to-say-it comments.

They said the exactly same thing the last year :D
Come to think of it, they say that every year, and even tried it once with starcraft ghost.

That's actually kinda exciting. I look forward to seeing what they potentially have to offer.

As long as they actually put effort into their console titles instead of just making cheap ports to grab some more money. I was a bit annoyed that Valve did that.

Alfador_VII:

Alienating?? They have one of the most popular MMOs in the world, a hugely popular RTS series, especially in Korea, not to mention Diablo. If that's alientation, I'd like a slice of it :)

But still rely on another company to support their servers, who give out a free game when something goes wrong.

Not to mention that they've boosted the RRP for a Triple A title again.

Now if they'd said, like certain other companies, that they'd release WoW or similar on consoles, that would be something to look forward to. Simply saying "We might look at a more lucrative market" isn't really something that's likely to please their main fanbase, is it?

Diablo 3 might work on the consoles, but they'd have to implement it right.

The_root_of_all_evil:

JEBWrench:
Dear Blizzard:

Alienating PC owners?

HAH, thats depressingly true. QQ

Blizzard is owned by Activision now. Activision takes other peoples ideas and runs them into the ground by making sequels. An original IP out of this prospect is not in the cards anymore.

I'm not saying I wouldn't buy Warcraft 3: Modern Warfare

Starcraft: Ghost is still my number one most anticipated game of all time. Do it Blizz. Do it for me.

Well, if they keep the options open at least...that would be nice. I wouldnt mind seeing some blizzard games on a console

Eukaryote:
Lost Vikings 4 please!

Wait, there's a 3 already? Why haven't I played it and where can I get it?

While developing for the PC may result in something that cant be ported to a console without major modifications to the interface/control/playstyle departments, i don't think developing for consoles does the same thing to a PC port, so as long as you don't go console exclusive with a new IP, its good, go for it.

stabnex:
Blizzard is owned by Activision now. Activision takes other peoples ideas and runs them into the ground by making sequels. An original IP out of this prospect is not in the cards anymore.

Activision is not involved in Blizzard's game development process, Blizzard is big enough to take care of their own ideas.
Also, Blizzard is making a new, original IP right now (as well as a game in each of their three major franchises). Granted, it's a "next-gen" MMORPG, so it won't be a very good console game, but it's a brand new franchise nonetheless.

There will be blood if Diablo 3 goes to console..

Games that bow down the inadequate console technology and the community not used to such epic RPGs fail.

It will ruin a flawless franchise :/

please dont do this for a little extra money.

This is the age of remakes and reboots. I think Blizzard should give Starcraft: Ghost another shot.

They seem to be doing fine without them...

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here