Activision Tried to "Steal" Paintballer's Identity

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Activision Tried to "Steal" Paintballer's Identity

Activision allegedly tried to steal the identity of paintballer Greg Hastings for use in paintball videogames.

Whether you've heard of famous paintballer Greg Hastings or not, he has some interesting things to say about how Activision handled his videogame paintball sim. With Majesco's Greg Hastings Paintball 2 set to revolutionize the world of paintball games (no, really, according to Hastings), why isn't the series still being handled by Activision? Hastings alleges it's because he had to "fire" the publisher.

Talking to Games Radar, Hastings said: "I had to fire Activision for doing such a poor job." However, this was more than just a case of neglect or shoddy management.

Hastings continued: "Activision tried to steal my franchise. Within 24 hours of me shipping my PlayStation 2 game, Greg Hastings Tournament Paintball Max'd, they sent me a letter and they said, 'We feel you've abandoned your franchise, and we're going to commence making games called Greg Hastings Paintball without Greg Hastings.'"

There was apparently then a court battle which Hastings won, allowing him to create Greg Hastings Paintball 2 with Majesco. "They made us spend a whole pile of money and we won unanimously in court," he says. "A billion-dollar company tried to steal my identity, and I was able to fight and regain my identity. That's why I'm on cloud nine; I fought the giant and I'm a success story against Activision."

This has not been Activision's month. Since the beginning of July, the company has gotten more than its share of bad press, including Tim Schafer hating on Bobby Kotick, Infinity Ward alleging it ran a "police state", and anonymous sources accusing it of sexism. This is one situation where the facts don't appear to lie: Hastings went up against Activision and won unanimously in court. If the higher-ups at Activision are engaging in immoral business practices, I don't approve, but even I'm starting to feel bad as their reputation seems to be tarnishing.

Source: Games Radar

They need to fire Bobby Kotick already D:

Then maybe Activision can become good once more.

Incoming Activision BAAWWWW in 3... 2... 1...

Why Blizzard, why did you have to merge with Activision. They're just gonna drag you down with shit like this.

Considering Activision is run by and is a souless imoral entity that would do anything to make money regardless of legality, they will get no sympathy from me. Hell, I'll laugh at them.

They still have a reputation to tarnish?

Activision is already run by the Devil (Kotick). We are surprised by this?

Why would you bother stealing the identity of a paintballer when you could just make up an ideal badass and become more famous? People have heard of Master Chief and athan Drake, but I'd be willing to bet there aren't very many people who know Greg Hastings. Stealing his identity was just stupid.

I think Activision should realise that it is possible to earn money without acting as evil as possible, like some video game industry equivalent of umbrella corp. And if it isn't possible then is money worth losing your humanity over?

Now that's desperation. Did they really think they were going to make billions off of a paintball game? Or some pro paintballer's name that few gamers have ever heard of?

Bobby Kotick must sit at home literally drooling over the thought of money. He needs to be kicked the fuck out just like BP's CEO was. Except in a harsher manner.

I hope Activison crumbles and dies, they are too conservative, but manages to sell unprecedented amounts of games, which means that the rest of the industry will be just as conservative, because publishers all want to follow the leader.

Damn dude, everyday brings more news that Activision is the Empire and Kotick is its Emperor. All we need now is a Darth Vader to be pissed at and the circle is complete.

Mr Companion:
I think Activision should realise that it is possible to earn money without acting as evil as possible, like some video game industry equivalent of umbrella corp. And if it isn't possibl then is money worth loosing your humanity over?

While that may be true, they can earn more money by being evil.
And as for your second question, then I assume the answer for them is yes, considering whats been happening lately.

ShadowsofHope:
Activision is already run by the Devil (Kotick). We are surprised by this?

Honestly, Kotick is immortal. Not because he did or drank or cut somethings head off, no. Its because one day he shot himself so he could go down to Hell and exploit Stan (yeah, real name people, the "a" before t is just a typo). Stan didn't want any of it, but with the looming threat of Kotick taking over Hell, he kicked his ass out. So actually, Kotick > Stan.

to think bungie is joining with them! oh god!

Can't we get one positive story about Acti/Blizzard. Just one?

They literally can't be that evil, can they?

The fail is

EPIC!

I wonder what will be Activisions swan song?

I mean with all this shit that's gone on this year. They must be nearing it.

Activision, why do you have to be such unrepentant assholes?

The_root_of_all_evil:

Activision and Blizzard don't deserve to be lumped together. They are completely polar opposites in terms of management and the games they make. The only thing in common is that they're owned by Vivendi.

So if kotick is the devil of video games Newell must be the angel.

proof:

a few months after modern warfare 2 was released. Price: $60
a few months after left 4 dead 2 was released. price: $30

HAIL VALVE!

Wolfram01:
Activision, why do you have to be such unrepentant assholes?

The_root_of_all_evil:

Activision and Blizzard don't deserve to be lumped together. They are completely polar opposites in terms of management and the games they make. The only thing in common is that they're owned by Vivendi.

But they're starting to make Apple and Micro$oft look like good guys. That can't be right, can it?

That's um, that's just not right. The guy made one game and then they decided to franchise his series without him.

Why is Activision so damn evil now?

I'm happy to hear this guy won his case but uhh....who is he again? And paint ball has a pro league and there's an entire genre of paintball based games out there?

What is he, a pro paintballer or what? I've never even heard of him.

Tom Goldman:
they sent me a letter and they said, 'We feel you've abandoned your franchise, and we're going to commence making games called Greg Hastings Paintball without Greg Hastings.'"

That's hilarious, they might as well have said:

"we don't like you, we feel that we want your franchise, so we're taking it, bitch"

Did they honestly think that was a legal thing to do?

The big mystery here is that Bungie is joining with Activision, what the hell do they see in this publisher? It's unfrickenbelievable

Tom Goldman:
If the higher-ups at Activision are engaging in immoral business practices, I don't approve, but even I'm starting to feel bad as their reputation seems to be tarnishing.

As the saying goes "You made your bed. Now lie in it."
These are legitimate reasons for Activision taking the heat. All we can hope for is that their company will learn from these mistakes.

danpascooch:
The big mystery here is that Bungie is joining with Activision, what the hell do they see in this publisher? It's unfrickenbelievable

Simple. See that big building over there with the large dollar sign on the side? That's the Scrooge McDuck Memorial Money Swimming Vault.

wow why would anyone think stealing someone's identity is a good business practice i mean seriously that's not just a dick move that's a retarded on i mean come on even they should have thought to themselves "wow what we're doing is insanely fucking stupid".

I'm very pleased for this guy, and frankly astonished at Activision - this is dumb even for them - but . . . paintball video games exist? Paintball is a game intended to simulate gunfights. Why would you make a game simulating simulating gunfights when you could just make another game simulating gunfights? Isn't that kinda redundant? Isn't that . . . ah, hell, I'll just let Futurama talk for me.

So... they waited for a game (which looks awful) to be released before immediately telling its owner that it no longer belonged to him, with no actual basis for that claim.

Huh...

I wonder if this is Activision's theme song?

And to think I once respected Activision.

hmmm big corporation using someone's identity to make a game without permission I am not surprised

Daemascus:
Why Blizzard, why did you have to merge with Activision. They're just gonna drag you down with shit like this.

Unless Vivendi is paying attention, works Kotick out and puts someone from Blizzard in charge of Activision. That would do wonders for both companies.
I am not about to get my hopes up, though.

The_root_of_all_evil:

Yes, yes they can.

Baldry:
I wonder if this is Activision's theme song?

Personally, I think Captain Linebeck's theme from PH fits their greed more.

They're nowhere near as cool as the Empire anyways.

As much as I like to rag on Activision I feel like there is more to this than Mr Hastings is telling us.

Call it a gut instinct, but I dont think that that Activision is stupid enough to just do downright ID theft from a nobody to sell a game nobody will buy.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here