Nintendo: Games Still Not Socially Acceptable Enough

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Nintendo: Games Still Not Socially Acceptable Enough

Nintendo says there is still work to be done if videogames are to be as socially acceptable as other forms of entertainment.

In Nintendo's last annual report, president Satoru Iwata emphasized that he doesn't think videogames are as socially acceptable as they should be. Even though the Wii and the DS have been explosively successful with demographics of people that weren't previously gamers, Nintendo doesn't want to stop there.

Iwata writes: "When we look at how videogames have been accepted in society, what we call 'social acceptance of videogames,' it seems that the public perception towards videogames has significantly improved over the past years. However, it is our belief that there are still plenty of things for us to tackle to improve the social acceptance of videogames to the level of other general forms of entertainment such as TV, movies, music and sports."

In a Nintendo survey, the company found that more than 50% of people still have a neutral or negative opinion of videogames. This is compared to the results for television, movies, and music, of which less than 25% of respondents had a neutral or negative opinion. Sports also fared better than videogames overall in the survey, with only around 20% of people saying they liked videogames "very much."

Iwata says Nintendo will try to spread the joy of videogames by furthering "the penetration of the Wii by encouraging communication in the living room of each household through continuous software launches, which will positively surprise consumers with brand new game play." In addition, "Nintendo will release the Nintendo 3DS that allows people to play videogames in 3-D without the need for any special glasses, and will strive to satisfy more people by offering innovative gameplay with Nintendo 3DS," he writes.

If you've got a negative opinion of the Wii, just remember that it's being used to make the world better accept videogames. Whether it's capable of that or not, that's part of Nintendo's goal. I've seen it: It's possible for someone that has never played a game before to start playing Professor Layton or Wii Sports and to elevate to other genres besides those considered "casual." Plus, I hear that the 3DS is magical, so it's likely to have the impact that Iwata desires.

Pfff...

Oh well? The more I hear about "casual" gamers and the more it can sometimes feel like things are being catered to them and not me, the less I give a crap about them.

Especially when I see articles like this: http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/706746/will-portal-2-scare-off-casual-gamers.html

I'm glad nintendo are undertaking this kind of study. Convincing more people to at least tollerate videogames is great and if I had to pick a company to do it, it would definitely be nintendo. Their games are usually what I use to introduce friends to gaming, just to let them in easy.

Also i'm sorry to say I sniggered quite a lot at, "the penetration of the Wii"

They are socially exceptable enough.

There isnt a critical mass but they are pretty common now.

There just going to get more and more popular as Nintendo sucker in more casual gamers then they move on to bigger and better games.

<3 Nintendo.

It seems like one of the few companies where the people involved are there because they love what they do and aren't just watching the clock or the balance sheets.

All their first party releases are quality efforts even the tech demos like sports and play.

So... Nintendo's going farmville?

HEY MARIO, YOU CAN'T GET TO WORLD 8 ON SUPER MARIO GALAXY 18 UNTIL YOU INVITE 5 MORE FRIENDS TO PLAY.

if they mean by the usual surveys through club nintendo...they aren't trustworthy I do those things for coins to buy stuff...I dont pay attention.

survey=poll=most unreliable way to get data in the world.

As long as video games are:

-expensive (ie: not publicly available for free use)
-frowned upon in academic settings
-encouraging an idle lifestyle

they will never be socially acceptable.

Video games aren't socially acceptable? Since fucking when?

Society can suck my joy stick.

Less games about brightly coloured plumbers flying through space? God knows that sort of stuff could easily put non gamers off in my books.

Tom Goldman:
If you've got a negative opinion of the Wii, just remember that it's being used to make the world better accept videogames.

But that's why they hate it. These people enjoy being seen as social outcasts by playing games and hate the idea of it being considered normal.

OT: Just give it time, Iwata. Video games will be socially acceptable soon enough and there is little chance of decreasing/increasing that time no matter what action you take.

WilliamRLBaker:
if they mean by the usual surveys through club nintendo...they aren't trustworthy I do those things for coins to buy stuff...I dont pay attention.

I agree. Without knowing how they found the data, I have no idea how trustworthy the survey is.

:P i can't even play my psp on the air plain without feeling like a loser. so i end up watching shitty movies.

10BIT:

Tom Goldman:
If you've got a negative opinion of the Wii, just remember that it's being used to make the world better accept videogames.

But that's why they hate it. These people enjoy being seen as social outcasts by playing games and hate the idea of it being considered normal.

Don't say it! Somebody might hear you! Then you know what will happen, right? RIGHT?!

Even as I grew up in the Nintendo generation, there weren't very many people that didn't video game. Hell, even my parents liked Tetris and Dr. Mario, and my mom still has trouble today working a television remote control. Nintendo still proves it doesn't take overly fancy graphics or realistic gravity simulations in games to draw people in. They still make games that don't require hours of practice to just get good enough to beat the games, they at least try to make it fun to play them first.
I don't own a Wii, but I do have a DS that I enjoy using. I still mainly game on the 360 as far as consoles go, mostly because there isn't enough room to make good use out of the Wiimote without knocking something over. I say good for Nintendo in attempting to make it more socially acceptable to be a gamer, without being considered a "gaymer".

Social networking games are still debatable as to whether they should be considered serious games since most of them are simple point-and-click basic structure without much skill or problem solving ability on the part of the user. They really aren't very deep, and you can easily just walk away after playing one without knowing anything about the story of the game or the motivation to keep you playing after the first time. Sure, it might be fun to play them to compete against friends and give you some sort of bragging rights for your FB wall, but it is pretty easy to lose interest in such games. Zynga makes a lot of attempts to introduce new material into their games, but often at a cost of having to pay to unlock things instead of trying to make the games more challenging or involving. It's like saying that riding a skateboard is as complicated as driving a car... you get the same experience, but just on much different levels of involvement. Social games won't reach the same level of acceptance as console or PC titles, and I don't think many would argue that. They are just time-wasters to keep you sitting on SNS so they can brag about how many people are sitting on their servers at one time.

Nintendo needs to go back to being socially acceptable to all gamers again before they can worry about the outside market.

I think alot of people still attach the old stigmas when they see./hear about gamers. More has to be done by the community too to improve the image

Well Nintendo could at least do their bit and not just make cash ins for 10 year olds all the time. Hypocrits.

I'm scared to see what nintendo will come out with to 'tackle the problem'. :/

The problem is most wii owners don't view the wii as a video game console or it's games as "video games." Which means the more nintendo and such attempt to reach non-gamers, the less likely non-gamers are to even view nintendo products as video games.

Now, we always knew video games as they currently exist are transitory, at best. But we hoped they'd transition to more complex, more interactive, more engaging, more inventive products. Instead ninendo is hoping to move in the exact opposite direction. Which means nintendo's (and anyone who follow's) days are numbered.

JEBWrench:

10BIT:

Tom Goldman:

Don't say it! Somebody might hear you! Then you know what will happen, right? RIGHT?!

Actually I don't. May be in for a pleasant surprise.

And gamers continue not to care. Accept it, or don't. We'll just continue playing games and ignoring ya'll anyway.

To some extent, I respect Nintendo for broadening peoples view on entertainment mediums. While they do cash in on it obscenely, they have done good things.

However, just like you have people who think TV is the root of all incompetence, you will always have people who think games are the cause of obesity or games are the reason kids are getting more violent. It comes with the territory of a relatively young medium.

They're getting there gradually at least. Years ago, writing for video games was pretty much deemed the academic equivalent of smashing your head on the keyboard and just running with the result. Nowadays you have games like Heavy Rain which can even challenge films in their storytelling. Good storytelling doesn't necessarily equate to social acceptance, but eh, many of the things that are perfectly 'socially acceptable' are completely mindless in my eyes, at least I can get some degree of sophistication out of games.

*Sips tea, pinky extended*

It doesn't bother me, I'm constantly around people who either have no problem with games or are highly enthusiastic about them. These strange, primitive other people are not part of the world I associate myself with.

Maybe they would be more acceptable if Nintendo's promotional material didn't look like 90s children's cartoons (see the picture in the OP).

Social acceptance just takes time. For anything. The majority of people who still hold a neutral or negative opinion on video games are older, and soon enough they'll die. The rest of the generations were born with video games present in their lives, and so too will every future generation be.

People will accept anything given enough time. In the early 1900s it was cocaine.

Hopeless Bastard:
The problem is most wii owners don't view the wii as a video game console or it's games as "video games." Which means the more nintendo and such attempt to reach non-gamers, the less likely non-gamers are to even view nintendo products as video games.

Now, we always knew video games as they currently exist are transitory, at best. But we hoped they'd transition to more complex, more interactive, more engaging, more inventive products. Instead ninendo is hoping to move in the exact opposite direction. Which means nintendo's (and anyone who follow's) days are numbered.

Considering pretty much everyone, especially Sony and Microsoft, is following Nintendo's lead, by that arguement then you should buy a gaming PC before everyone stops making games for consoles.

Or maybe we can just wait for the generations of idiots to die off.

Does this matter? Why?

The people are only much affected as much as they care in my opinion and perspective. The stigma around gaming is easily solved when I place a controller down into the hands of the specific persons in my life that bash them.

Most of the times, they are interested and actually get up a and get a console. Sometimes they remain the bitter people, as I like to call them and wave a goodbye. To each to their own, so long I am not impaired in my life because of it, I am fine.

Delusibeta:
Considering pretty much everyone, especially Sony and Microsoft, is following Nintendo's lead, by that arguement then you should buy a gaming PC before everyone stops making games for consoles.

Pretty much.

Your hyperbolic counter kinda fails, because thats the exact direction we're heading. Another crash. It'll be a little softer than the last one, but video games as they currently exist won't anymore and the market will be flooded with a ton of bullshit pandering exclusively to technologically illiterate demographics while independent developers will be the sole source of anything remotely resembling a video game. Since the independent market can only be reached by a PC...

Proteus214:
As long as video games are:

-expensive (ie: not publicly available for free use)
-frowned upon in academic settings
-encouraging an idle lifestyle

they will never be socially acceptable.

You mean like MP3 players?

Oh wait..

WilliamRLBaker:

Why would half the people filling out polls at Club N be neutral toward or not like videogames?
I doubt that was their method. I believe this survey was exclusive to Japan, which means that the results worldwide, or in the U.S, would be even more unfavorable for videogames.

The Hero Killer:
Nintendo needs to go back to being socially acceptable to all gamers again before they can worry about the outside market.

Mutually exclusive, I'm afraid. See "grognard capture"

Hopeless Bastard:

What do they view them as then? Radishes? I think you're getting the idea of video games as a 733T/hardcore/nerd type of entertainment confused with video games. And if that view dies, so much the better.

Yes, because anybody who goes to the market rather than waiting for the market to come to them is obviously going to fail... oh wait...

Meh. At least Nintendo is sticking to their goal.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here