Ken Levine Confirms New "Shock" Reveal?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Ken Levine Confirms New "Shock" Reveal?

The studio that brought us BioShock has confirmed it'll be unveiling its new project tomorrow.

At the end of July, Irrational Games sent out a flyer that asked the media to "please save the date" of August 11 for an event, but we didn't know why. Would Irrational use the date to reveal a new logo or something else that would disappoint those of use waiting for information on the studio's top-secret "Project Icarus?"

Not a chance: Ken Levine has confirmed that Irrational Games' current project in development will be revealed on August 11 to the press, which will come in the form of a trailer and a live demonstration. On the following day, the trailer will be released to the public on WhatIsIcarus.com, a teaser site that has been running for quite some time now.

Over the past few weeks, WhatIsIcarus.com has featured a dark, cloudy background with small white circles appearing in a different spot every day. Now, we see that the circles were revealing hints of a hidden figure 8 (or sideways infinity symbol), as the site shows the circle in motion today. Members of the Irrational Games forums have worked out a full image of the symbol from the website, not that it's helping speculation at all.

So what does the figure 8 mean? Is it a reference to a game that Irrational or Ken Levine has previously worked on, including Thief, System Shock, Freedom Force, or BioShock? Is it a mega-teaser for something completely new? If it's a game from a previous series, the silence on anything related to a new System Shock title seems to indicate that it's the series' turn to make an appearance, with Thief and BioShock already taken over by other studios.

Ken Levine hopes that people will see the trailer prior to reading any news on the new game, saying: "Trust me, there's a reason." Irrational Games really knows how to build anticipation, huh?

(Irrational Games)

Noooooooooooooooo!

Leave System Shock 2 alone, dont sully it with your poxy remakes.

Heres looking at you hacker

I'm calling Bioshock 3. Just sayin'.

Info on Thief 4. I called it.

Please... Please... Please....

While my instincts are crying Nooooooooooooooooo, the fangirl in me is left hoping and drooling.

Anah'ya:
Please... Please... Please....

While my instincts are crying Nooooooooooooooooo, the fangirl in me is left hoping and drooling.

For which remake? Thief? SS2?

Negits on BS3. BS2 killed the series. BTW, I loved BioShock. It didn't need a sequel.

I'm leaning more towards a theif reboot or a new system shock game. Can you imagaine what those games would look like with today's tech?

A new project? Well I think that it was already pretty clear that Thief 4, or Thi4f was in development for quite some time now.

I still have to play the first games though. They won't work on my computer but they look sooooo good.

Somehow I hope for the BioShock prequel I've been thinking about for quite some time now. My personal perfect BioShock game. Fat chance that it'll be that, but I can dream right?

MongoBaer:
Negits on BS3. BS2 killed the series. BTW, I loved BioShock. It didn't need a sequel.

Oh no! The source material is alive and kicking and there's still so much left that's completely untouched and full of potential for a fantastic game. We haven't even seen Rapture before it's fall yet! We haven't seen Rapture alive. Oh I'd kill for that...

If I know the gaming industry now-a-days, this is a sequel to something. My money is on system shock.

Oh boy another quasi deep yet really shallow big boxed game..... NEXT!

Well Bioshock was a damn good spiritual sequel to System Shock 2, so if there is a company that could make a decent sequel/ remake of a past franchise, then presumably these are the guys?

didnt EA buy the rights to system shock anyways? But i hope the game he does announce is great.

It's Freedom Force !!

"Fooor Freeeeedooom!" ROFL

Pipotchi:

I already cried bitter tears after Deadly Shadows, thank you very much. Then I replayed the original two just to feel less dirty. And the though of Thief 4 sends unpleasant shivers down my spine; though I will try to be a good Taffer and wait out before passing final judgement.

In short: For the possibility of a System Shock remake.

Would love a System Shock 3! Or 2 remake! As long as they didnt butcher it!

Anah'ya:

Pipotchi:

I already cried bitter tears after Deadly Shadows, thank you very much. Then I replayed the original two just to feel less dirty. And the though of Thief 4 sends unpleasant shivers down my spine; though I will try to be a good Taffer and wait out before passing final judgement.

But Deadly Shadows had the Shalebridge Cradle didnt it? That was a great level if memory serves. Two is clearly the best mind but 3 wasnt a shocker

Pipotchi:

But Deadly Shadows had the Shalebridge Cradle didnt it? That was a great level if memory serves. Two is clearly the best mind but 3 wasnt a shocker

You do have a point. And it had Garrett in it. Those were the saving graces; however it just didn't live up to... oh what am I saying. It couldn't have. I just set the bar too high ;)

Anah'ya:

Pipotchi:

Thief 4 was already announced a while ago (http://www.thief4.com/) so, if its a revival of an old series, I'm guessing System Shock (though Freedom Force was kick-ass)

id love a system shock 2 remake or a true to the spirit of the series sequel.

If it's System Shock related, it better be hard, if the game is not going to make me cover into a corner and sleep with the lights on, I don't want to play it. >:(

Please be a new System Shock, please be a new System Shock, please be...

Holy shit. Holy shit. Holy shit. Holy shit. Holy shit, I can't wait!

My loins are all aquiver with potential to new System Shock goodness. Both of those games creeped me the hell out and I loved every minute of it.

Bioshock was such a letdown. The graphics were gorgeous but the gameplay was totally vapid. The hacking pipe dream game was particularly painful.

The story was meh considering all the hype. I think gamers are so used to poor writing that they confuse "has a plot" with "has a great story." Planscape Torment, Baldurs Gate 2, (Star Control 2 for you oldies) and Kotor 1 had great stories. System Shock 2 had a good story but I liked 1 better.

To be a good RPG with a leveling system requires the decisions a player makes while leveling to affect the gameplay, and Bioshock barely did. Otherwise they are false choices only there to claim RPGness when in reality it is just an action game. Bioshock, Mass Effect 2, and Fallout 3 all suffer from this.

I really hope Deus Ex doesn't suck. To tarnish the name of the greatest game ever made would hurt my feelings.

rembrandtqeinstein:

To be a good RPG with a leveling system requires the decisions a player makes while leveling to affect the gameplay

... Deus Ex... To tarnish the name of the greatest game ever made would hurt my feelings.

I like the cut of your jib

And System Shock 2 is exquisite game craftsmanship. If they release a dumbed down sequel or dd'd remake of this game I will officially quit gaming.

Dear God let it be a new System Shock!! :D

Plinglebob:

Thief 4 was already announced a while ago (http://www.thief4.com/) so, if its a revival of an old series, I'm guessing System Shock (though Freedom Force was kick-ass)

I know that Thief 4 was already announced. In fact, I knew there was going to be a 4 after I played Deadly Shadows. Though that is beside the point.

That is why I am thinking about System Shock.

-_-

Anyone else check out the website? Cause its saying August 12th now...

Isn't Edios Montreal doing Thief 4? Pretty sure that is on their web site along side Deus Ex: HR? http://www.eidosmontreal.com/ would seem so.

I do pray for SS3, since that would be a little gift to the world.

rembrandtqeinstein:
I really hope Deus Ex doesn't suck. To tarnish the name of the greatest game ever made would hurt my feelings.

You didn't play invisible war then?

I've only played one of their games, Bioshock and that was brilliant. I'm definatly going to try their System Shock games soon and probably whatever they're going to announce tomorrow.

Tom Goldman:
So what does the figure 8 mean?

Maybe you should ask Cloud Cult.[/somewhat clever obscure band reference] I really have little else to contribute. Don't hurt me.

Dom Kebbell:

rembrandtqeinstein:

You didn't play invisible war then?

Invisible what? There was only ever one deus ex, anyone who says otherwise is a lying liar from liartown.

Also there was only ever one Matrix movie: http://xkcd.com/566/

Bioshock Backlash makes me sad. It was GOOD people! You're just sick of hearing people talk about it, and that's ok. The reaction just got a little out of control. Bioshock 2 was good too, but it wasn't AS good, and there's quite a lot of shame in the idea of a developer moving backward rather than forward.

As for Levine's new project, is it too much to hope for a new Master of Orion game?

I would very much like a new System Shock. But I guess we'll find out tommorow! Or... Today. Since it's 1am where I am.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here