Carmack Says No New IP From id For the Next Ten Years

Carmack Says No New IP From id For the Next Ten Years

id Software technical guy John Carmack says it's unlikely the studio will come out with a new IP in the next decade because it already has more franchises than it knows what to do with.

When you think of id, three games immediately leap to mind: Doom, Quake and Wolfenstein. Good reason for that: Those are the only three games the developer has made since 1992. It's not exactly a runaway stampede of franchises but for Carmack and company, it's enough.

"We do already have more IPs than we can exploit," the legendary programmer said in the latest issue of Official PlayStation Magazine. "I doubt we're going to do another IP. It's scary to say it, but maybe not in the next decade even, because we want to support Wolfenstein, Doom and Quake - and hopefully we can add Rage onto that - and I don't want five teams here. Three is scary enough."

"Obviously if Rage is a success then we'll want to do a Rage 2," he said. "If people love it, you want to give them more of it."

Committing to doing nothing new in the next ten years might come across as a bit odd but id seems to have done pretty well with its strategic decisions so far, so if Carmack thinks this is the way to go, I'm willing to roll with it. Besides, it's not as though new IP from id is really "new" in any meaningful sense. Quake and Doom are just about indistinguishable at this point and Wolfenstein is really just Quake (or Doom) with the Strogg dressed as Nazis. Rage looks cool but I think anyone hoping for much more than a post-apocalyptic Quake (or Doom, or Wolfenstein) is probably in for disappointment. So, no new IP for the next decade? I think that'll be okay.

Rage is currently expected to come out next year for the PC, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. Doom 4 is in the works too, but no release schedule has been announced.

Source: CVG

It's all about the gameplay at id so i don't mind if they milk they few ips they have as long as they milk gold out of the utters of ultra-violence.

They said they were announcing a new game at 8.30 GMT tonight.

If it's not a new IP then I'm placing my vote on a new Quake iteration.

I'm confused as to why they bother running 3 teams at once, instead of just one focused team to get games done one at a time.

If ID has the money to roll 3 teams at once then power to them I guess, but I always pictured them as a smaller dev studio.

THAT'S BULLSHIT AND I HATE YOU FOR IT!

though i didn't expect anything. you spend so much time on a game you need to make more than one.

I'm surprised id is still relevant. DOOM3 killed any real interest for me.

I am sorry to say, all of those franchises mean nothing to me and if this means they will only pop out sequels, well good luck. They are not in my area of interest.

If you're not a shooter fan, you won't care about what id does. If you are, you will. There aren't many developers as committed to a "pure" experience as id. Doom 3 was a disappointment, yes, Quake 4 was good but not inspired; haven't played the most recent Wolfenstein but that was Raven anyway so it doesn't really count.

I remain hopeful.

Well, I suppose we acn all be ready for something with 2 on the end of more from them for a long time...

They do have alot on there plate though, so, I suppose its ok. Want moar borderlands!

id has never really been in the market of making games. They make engines, put together some content and release a game to show off the engine. Then they license the engine to other developers. Exactly like what Epic does with the Unreal Engine, really.

As soon as I read that headline, I got an image in my head of a bunch of game devs in a conga line chanting, "Sequels, sequels, se-quels!"

Just give me a new commander Keen game already, reckon that rage engine will make the vorticons look nice this time round. :p

"...because it already has more franchises than it knows what to do with."

I think this would apply even if they only had one.

It's not like the IPs are anything impressive - Id does game engines, and slaps a game around them. Other companies use that engine to turn out impressive games (which helps Id's bottom line). The games that Id produce are just showcases for the engine, generally lacking in any real gameplay innovation.

Andy Chalk:
Quake 4 was good but not inspired; haven't played the most recent Wolfenstein but that was Raven anyway so it doesn't really count.

Raven did Quake 4 too.

Tron-tonian:
The games that Id produce are just showcases for the engine, generally lacking in any real gameplay innovation.

No. Just no.

Wolfenstein 3D was the original run-and-gun first-person shooter.

Doom redefined it, and added very gameplay-relevant features like light and darkness, explosive weaponry, etc.

Quake was the first to do "true" 3D, which affected level design and gameplay immensely. Quake II fine-tuned this, doing away with 2D explosions and such.

Quake III created the multiplayer-focused FPS, and Epic Games has been milking the genre ever since. (Granted, UT was released first, but Q3 was announced first.)

As for Doom 3... Carmack would probably go on about the shadows and shits, but personally I fell in love with how interfacing with computers and such in the environment was handled. Very smooth.

JediMB:

No. Just no.

Doom redefined it, and added very gameplay-relevant features like light and darkness, explosive weaponry, etc.

Quake was the first to do "true" 3D, which affected level design and gameplay immensely. Quake II fine-tuned this, doing away with 2D explosions and such.

Quake III created the multiplayer-focused FPS, and Epic Games has been milking the genre ever since. (Granted, UT was released first, but Q3 was announced first.)

As for Doom 3... Carmack would probably go on about the shadows and shits, but personally I fell in love with how interfacing with computers and such in the environment was handled. Very smooth.

I'll give you Wolf3d, as the original, but that's about it, and even then, it was more the tech that drove it then the actual gameplay. Doom was more "shoot stuff, get key, repeat". Quake was more of the same but in 3d (see the bit about Id making great engines, not games). Quake3 was just skipping the single-player game and making an engine focused on multi-player - name something they added to gameplay (not tech or maps) that wasn't there pre-Q3.

Doom3? Hey, it's Doom. But in 3d! And no @#$% tape!

Games that Id has produced have advanced the tech. Games like Duke3d and Half-life advanced *gameplay* and showed how great games could be using the tech Id provided.

If ID add good innovations to the gameplay, whatever IP or story is tacked on, isn´t very important.

More Quake! Or Wolfenstein, but I'd prefer Quake...

I love DooM, but, let's face facts, Quake 2 was undeniably the first "modern" FPS, DooM's story just isn't "big" enough to appeal to most gamers today, I can't really see DooM 4 being any better than DooM 3. Not to say it'll be a bad game, it just won't be a great game. IMO Raven and Splash Damage have shown the Quake IP can make for a pretty good stomping ground, so why not more? =D

Demons just don't make good antagonists in an action driven story, in horror, yes, but DooM has always been about action before horror! The only way it could really continue is by dispensing with the Demons altogether, or a huge-ass retcon.

Wolfenstein (I haven't played the new one, so I'm basing this on RTCW) is a great IP, but the whole "Nazi's are doing bad stuff! Oh noez!" is a bit overdone these days...

AC10:
I'm confused as to why they bother running 3 teams at once, instead of just one focused team to get games done one at a time.

If ID has the money to roll 3 teams at once then power to them I guess, but I always pictured them as a smaller dev studio.

Having several projects at once is a lot safer sometimes. Developing a game takes several years, and it really isn't a case of "if you double the people you halve the development time". Three teams of 30 people each will most likely result in more products over any given time than a team of 90 would produce.

Also, if a game fails and/or the publisher doesn't pay the developers for the game it's always better not to have all your eggs in one basket. If you only have one team you're in a really bad spot if the game fails since you just wasted years of development money to make it and need to do it again to get a fresh profit. But if you have several projects then the success of one game might balance up the failure of another, thus keeping the company afloat.

I take it that means no more Commander Keen any time soon?

Tron-tonian:
~snip~

Tech advances gameplay.

The very fact that you dare mention Duke Nukem 3D as a game advancing gameplay, but shun all things id's franchises added to the genre, disqualifies your opinion in my eyes. Duke3D did do a lot for presentation and scenarios, but gameplay-wise it was little more than Doom with poorly implemented pitch control. Sure, Build engine games came with the first decent FPS level editor, which was pretty rad, but I dare say LucasArts did more for the genre with their Jedi engine for Dark Forces.

Half-Life didn't really advance gameplay either. Presentation and implementation changed, in for its time very brilliant ways, but the actual gameplay elements were mostly the same.

Maybe he should reconsider. I mean Id and the Quake engine aren't exactly on the forefront of gaming anymore. Well who knows, maybe their routines are diving the fundamental core of game engines nowadays and Carmack can Sit back and continue to focus on putting real life space crafts in orbit.

Truth be told, Quake 2 filled my lifetime quota for first person shooters, much like WoW has fulfilled my lifetime quota of grinding giant spiders and other wilderness creatures. I've played other shooters since, but none that ever offered me more of the shooter experience than Quake 2 did.

I'm okay with this. More mixture of new features and nostalgia for me.

This is really a shock -I was expecting a new "Space Marine: This time available in blue and purple" franchise. :D

Well back to the tech demos then. :P Hope that they will have a nice looking, feature rich engine in Id tech 5 and later engine versions - so some good, original games from other studios will eventually show up. :)

I'm so hyped for Doom 4, please let it be good! It doesn't really bother me that they are not going to a new IP for the next decade or so. Their games are pretty much the same gameplay wise and different in story/scenario/element wise. That's how I always viewed them atleast.

Well that's damn annoying, and kind of useless to the people that work there.

I will forgive them, however, if they don't tease their "next game" and put out teaser after teaser of their "next game" or keep talking about the "next game" that they're going to make without giving us any details or when it'll come out.

Kind of like VALVe, those god damn cock-teasers...

And if they don't put an obvious cliff-hanger at the end of RAGE, making the whole internet speculate and anticipate a sequel for 10 years.

Just don't tease us and just announce when you're ready.

And don't delay

And don't hype the next game up.

And just don't do anything to piss me off.

And make me a sandwhich.

I'm rambling now, aren't I?

JediMB:

Tron-tonian:
The games that Id produce are just showcases for the engine, generally lacking in any real gameplay innovation.

No. Just no.

That and I actually loved the story for the game. People who berate Doom 3's story obviously haven't taken the time to listen to the audio logs, read the e-mails, etc... I played through Doom 3 4 or so times, I just enjoyed the experience. People complained about the goddamn flashlight for shit sakes... I got along fine without it for about 95% of the game.

Zer_:
That and I actually loved the story for the game. People who berate Doom 3's story obviously haven't taken the time to listen to the audio logs, read the e-mails, etc... I played through Doom 3 4 or so times, I just enjoyed the experience. People complained about the goddamn flashlight for shit sakes... I got along fine without it for about 95% of the game.

Well, as much as I enjoy listening to audio logs and such, I also think "scripted" story was solid enough, despite the player's role as Unnamed Marine.

Andy Chalk:

id Software technical guy John Carmack says it's unlikely the studio will come out with a new IP in the next decade because they haven't finished raping the franchises they already have.

Yeah, uh...fixed that for ya.

I think id was doing much better when they had John Romero on board. Back then, Doom was Doom, Quake was Quake and so on, not the reuse of the same formulas using different franchises we have now. I hope their other franchises will follow doom's path in returning to their roots:

Wolfenstein: simple, fun gameplay with goofy colorful graphics, with level simplicity that can be used to lay out attack strategies. Wolf3d with cartoony graphics like TF2 would be sweet
Doom: blasting numerous enemies at a time using superpowered weapons
Quake: Indoor combat in dark settings (which sums up every id game as of late)

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here