BioShock Infinite Takes to the Skies

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Interference:

Flamezdudes:
Well, Andrew Ryan could of easily covered it all up and just said he created it from the ground up. The city was built over a large crevace i think i remember, which a crash from a city could occur. Andrew could easily of just fixed the city.

Also, all the main series of FF games are set in different worlds so thats why people haven't complained.

Vaguely logically sound but a bit clunky from a narrative point of view.

And my main issue with the folk moaning about a third game STILL applies to Final Fantasy: Bioshock Infinite is in a whole new place but with some familiar mechanics. Just like FF. Sure Bioshock 2 was set in the same place Bioshock 1 was, but then the same can also be said of FF:X and FF:X2.

I actually didn't even consider this story playing out in an alternate world... Kinda makes sense now that I'm thinking on it. Sigh... I'm too tired, excited and sceptical to be making sense right now.

MongoBaer:

LOL.

No, I meant 4. Ken and krew have been working on this for 3 years in secret, probilly finishing final code thru the end of this year (maybe into next a little bit), beta testing/play balancing middle to end of next year, buff and polish unil shiny up to release.

BTW, I agree with you on Bioshock 2. wasn't needed and MP was REALLY not needed.

Ah... yeah, I suppose that is true. As I said in my earlier post, I'm way to tired, excited and sceptical to be making sense right now. My bad, haha.

Can't think... mind to awesomed out.,. need to remember how to breath!!!

I just don't know what to say except: DO WANT!!!

Sorr for that...

WANT NOW! WANT NOW!

MOAR Bioshock!

In all seriousness... It looks good.

I wonder if that phsyonic woman we saw is possibly an older big sister from the second game?

It looks impressive, I just don't get why they had to make it a "Bioshock" game when it has nothing to do with it at all.

Interference:
I'm amused by some of the ideas floating around:

1. Rapture is Columbia sunk into the sea! -- Lord no. It's explicitly stated how Rapture is founded in Bioshock 2. Don't be daft.

2. Oh no! The franchise has changed hands again! -- Also no. Were a single neuron firing in your creaky brain you'd realise that it's being made by Irrational, who are the original development team of Bioshock 1. Argue as you might that you may not know that 2K Boston were Irrational under an enforced name change before they got their original name back, but you can't go making comments about franchise handling without doing your damn homework.

3. THREE GAMES NOW! Bioshock is totally being milked to death. -- Quite how you've reached this conclusion when we're looking at a game that's doing something genuinely different with the Bioshock formula and a world in which there are over 13 Final Fantasy titles and nobody's complained is completely baffling.

I'm looking forward to this immensely. A new, strange location to explore and the idea of breeding horror and dread in broad daylight seems right up my street.

Agreed on all points.

I just personally wish it was named differently. Bioshock was the spiritual predecessor to System Shock, so why couldn't they do the same with this? Why not call it 'Nerve Shock' or 'Spirit Shock' or something?

To myself and a lot of other fans, Rapture makes Bioshock. Hopefully it will be renamed just as Natal was changed to Kinect.

This looks interesting, like many people I was disappointed with Bioshock 2, but this looks pretty awesome. I am surprised how many people though are dismissing this as Bioshock in the sky, the trailer does show what looks like different motivations in the city.

For example, Rapture was created to embody a Libertarian paradise, when there were no restrictions on what an individual could do or achieve. People could splice and modify their own bodies at will and were subject to almost no rules (initially). The protectors of the society's most important resource are the big daddies, who for the most part are docile unless their charge is in danger.

Columbia on the other hand look like an inversion of Rapture, the posters around the city constantly tell of some kind of Holy Duty citizens must attend to and the poster of Columbia rejecting a deformed looking baby suggests that Columbia accepts only what it sees a pure humans, so ideas such as plasmids and naturally developed super powers are persecuted and rejected. The woman who saves the man in the trailer is quickly grabbed by the big Daddy styled monster, which suggests that the role of a Big Daddy like creature has shifted from a docile protector to an aggressive hunter.

The two cities actually effectively represent the two mindsets of American thinking around those periods. Rapture represents our Libertarian ideas were consolidated around during the Cold War, fighting against our perceived enemies that would support Communism and Collectivism. Columbia seems to represent the America that was present during the turn of the century, an America which was obsessed with moral, nationalistic, racial and gender principals, which again you see in the trailer with the posters discussing Holy Duty, the multitude of American flags, the poster of the rejection of the deformed (and therefore inferior baby) and even to a lesser extent, the almost cliched, helpless looking woman who temporarily saves the falling man.

This is just my two cents, but I think that its safe to say that this city is going to be more than just Rapture with a face list.

Why is this called Bioshock? Honestly, keep the "shock" part and name it something else. Name it Aeroshock or something. Other than that it looks great.

HOLY SHIT! I mean...HOLY FUCKING SHIT! I'm so happy right now, there are literal tears in my eyes. I'ma a HUGE fan of Bioshock and this era, and the fact that it's in the FUCKING SKY now? HOLY SHIT! I usually don't even swear this much. That's how pumped I am. I NEED a release date.

Looks nice, im into the whole steam punk/Diesel punk vibe of the bioshock series and Im intrested how they are gonna make it atmospheric.

If it'll be better than Bioshock 2 was, that being not stagnating the franchise and developing an entirely new story rather than beating it to death with unlikable characters and very little gameplay alterations for the sake of online multiplayer, then sign me up. Looks creative, and if it has the same BioShock artistic flare, with the beautiful environments and haunting atmosphere, then the Bioshock rampant fanboy inside me can't wait.

Standby:
Saving the 'outer space' setting til the fourth game i see.

I never played them but isn't that what the Systemshock games were? :-P

it looks amazing. a flying city with a distinct architectural style? yes please, it's what gave the original bioshock so much of it's atmosphere. I'm a bit worried that a city in the sky may be too well lit, which would reduce the creepiness factor which you had underwater.

While I totally expected it to be about Bioshock i'm pretty disappointed its not a System Shock game. There may even be man tears.

Looks interesting at least.

;'(

See! See what you made me do!

I like the idea, but one thing is so retarded I just can't stand it. The Big Daddy look alike guys have exposed hearts. It looks awesome, but what's practical with that? If i were to design a superhuman, I'd put most armor around his weakest part. Let's bet the fastest (or only) way to kill these guys will be aiming for the heart. Really stupid design.

goddammit why isnt rapture destroyed yet?
i spent two games trying to annihilate that city but killing all its leaders and blowing half of it up just didn't cut it apparently

Unless they change the spawn system it will still suck, like the first two.

Interest definitely piqued but I must admit that's a lot of American crammed into the theme,I hope that fits as an art thing and doesn't serve to alienate by introducing story elements as thick as the design.
To attempt to better articulate that so I'm not misunderstood, I don't mind the flavor, I just hope they don't make cultural/historical knowledge to much of a focus for non Americans to keep up with.

I'm confident they know what they are doing but it's reasonable to note the subtle worry when they have minimum 2 flag inspired designs fer square foot consistently through the whole thing, pardon the hyperbole.

Babitz:
I like the idea, but one thing is so retarded I just can't stand it. The Big Daddy look alike guys have exposed hearts. It looks awesome, but what's practical with that? If i were to design a superhuman, I'd put most armor around his weakest part. Let's bet the fastest (or only) way to kill these guys will be aiming for the heart. Really stupid design.

Perhaps they gave it a weak spot just in case it went on a rampage.

I jizzed a little after seeing this trailer, just a little.

xavierxenon:

Worgen:
nice trailer but now its officially being milked to death

A third game hardly counts as milking to death. Now if they make an RTS, MMO, film, book series etc etc then that would be considered milking.

its not because its the 3rd game, its because now its either the reimagining of it or its the prequel that doesnt quite fit with the other games, if it came after bioshock 2 like any reasonable game then it wouldnt be the milking point but it didnt, so it is

As long as it's steampunk and it's BioShock, I want it!

Not even remotely interested, oddly enough. Trailer wasn't that great, didn't give me purchase intent. Didn't even inspire rental intent. :/

they can keep making Bioshocks as long as they stop just shy of 13...

thenamelessloser:

Standby:
Saving the 'outer space' setting til the fourth game i see.

I never played them but isn't that what the Systemshock games were? :-P

Good point, i completley forgot about System Shock for a sec there!
Still though, after doing under the sea and in the sky, some kind of moon base is the only other location i can see them using (should they choose to keep changing location that is).

Well, either that or the centre of the earth.

awesome. i loved bioshock 2, thought it was better than 1 in every way, story included.

but this looks like it'll blow 1 and 2 out of the water. pun intended.

Idle Thumbs called it, Episode 26: Raisin' the 'Bargo. Bioshock 5 will be on the Moon.

DJmagma:
awesome. i loved bioshock 2, thought it was better than 1 in every way, story included.

Bioshock 2 was in NO way better story related then the first one.

Looks like it could be a good game with plenty to explore...as long as there are lots of those balloon things to access (or maybe control). Although another form of Big Daddy...couldn't they add something a little bit different to hulking metal men?

Deeleted:

DJmagma:

yeah it was. bioshock was good but up till the end i had almost no attachment to the main character until the end, and even then it was difficult to feel attached to them, seeing as i never actually met them.

in 2, i felt attached to delta from the beginning. he had a deep goal and wanted to save his daughter, he also had a personality of sorts, even though he couldn't speak. i felt invested from the start to finish, and the ending was heart wrenching for me. there wasn't a major plot twist like in 1, but there were smaller plot revelations that did it much better.

No. I wont be hurt again. Bioshock 2 sucked. I wont participate in this dead horse beating.

Deeleted:

DJmagma:

Hello sir, I'd like to introduce you to something called "Subjective Statements"

Personally, I didn't like Bioshock 2 as much as the first.

But this looks very unique and imaginative. I'd definitely play it.

I think "Columbia" is the exact opposite of Rapture, very nationalistic and full of American exceptionalism. It's also possible that Ryan is going to be in the game, the man on the balcony. It fits with the plot and he may get fed up with Columbia's jingoism and go ahead and start Rapture.

Flamezdudes:

Interference:
I'm amused by some of the ideas floating around:

1. Rapture is Columbia sunk into the sea! -- Lord no. It's explicitly stated how Rapture is founded in Bioshock 2. Don't be daft.

3. THREE GAMES NOW! Bioshock is totally being milked to death. -- Quite how you've reached this conclusion when we're looking at a game that's doing something genuinely different with the Bioshock formula and a world in which there are over 13 Final Fantasy titles and nobody's complained is completely baffling.

I'm looking forward to this immensely. A new, strange location to explore and the idea of breeding horror and dread in broad daylight seems right up my street.

Well, Andrew Ryan could of easily covered it all up and just said he created it from the ground up. The city was built over a large crevace i think i remember, which a crash from a city could occur. Andrew could easily of just fixed the city.

Also, all the main series of FF games are set in different worlds so thats why people haven't complained.

I quite like the idea of Columbia falling into the sea to become Rapture. The story we were told in Bioshock 2 could be a lie to cover up Columbia's mistakes, because Andrew Ryan being who he is would not really tell of the things he messed up on. But the dates of Bioshock 1 may not match Columbia's

I have this strange feeling that that one girl is the thing really keeping the city up in the air the propellers are just for show. you save the girl the city falls (Into the sea) ryan gets pissed and low and behold.

ehm....steampunk. right....apparently I'm one of only two people on the internet who do not like steampunk (or any of the other "punks") so I must say I'm unimpressed. That, and the shooting from the first two Bioshock games was pretty disappointing, so I'm just gonna say "pass" for now.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here