S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Announced, Could Ambush Multiple Platforms

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Announced, Could Ambush Multiple Platforms

The first few S.T.A.L.K.E.R. titles were frightening open-world goodness for the PC, but the now officially announced sequel could go multi-platform.

GSC Game World has officially revealed that it's working on S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2, a sequel to the trilogy of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games already released for the PC. Thought the announcement comes with little information, rumors of a console version took one step closer to reality.

In addition to saying that GSC is currently hard at work on S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2, the company said it's creating "a completely new multi-platform technology" for the "core of the game." Dubbing the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. sequel's technology base "multi-platform" indicates that GSC is at least considering the sequel for release on consoles, which would no doubt increase the series' visibility amongst gamers.

The three games in the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series were exclusively developed for the PC and with good reason: They're gigantic beasts of challenging, free-roaming gameplay that take place in a nuclear wasteland where death can come at a moment's notice from any number of horrifying and painful directions. If you decide to attack one of the games' NPCs, his crew could decide to come hunt you down at your camp or you could piss off an entire faction that will no longer be friendly. Or you can just sit down at a campfire and listen to a friend play the acoustic guitar. The series is sort of like Fallout 3, but somewhat less friendly to players, other than the guitar playing.

GSC calls S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 "the next chapter of the mega-popular game players expect from us" and reveals that the company has sold more than 4 million copies of the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games worldwide. S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 won't be released until 2012, and though only a PC release is assured right now, don't be surprised if a version of the game hits consoles too.

Sequel to the trilogy? Is this sentence even possible?

I hope it is multiplatform :D

I really want this on my xbox as I don't play my PC that much and when I do I only really play Dawn Of War 2...

YAY! STALKER! Please don't have the porting make the PC version suck...

2012 will be a good year.

Having said that:

The series is sort of like Fallout 3, but somewhat less friendly to players, other than the guitar playing.

Somewhat less friendly? Fallout 3 is a light hearted comedy in comparison to the grit that S.T.A.L.K.E.R SC throws at ya'. Now, this Taffer could go into more detail, but that might result in an unnecessary wall of text slapping folks in the face and a potential lynching of said Taffer.

*fangirl growl*

I've been following the facebook page for a while now. Finally it's official.

i dont know how to feel about the multiplatform bit. hopefully it'll be ok :|

Could Ambush Multiple Platforms

Poor phrasing here and completely unrelated to STALKER or stalking.

please please please do not add any retarded "glue to the wall" cover system! i swear to god if those guys dumb it down or make the mutants any easier, i will go to ukrain and force them to make it harder

Thedayrecker:

Its the Sequilogy!

Please note that, for all you know, "multi-platform" could be Macs and Linux. Treat this like the Witcher 2: assume the PC is the lead format until futher information is released.

Judgement101:

Thedayrecker:

Its the Sequilogy!

*gasp* Not the dreaded Sequilogy!

Meh, I didn't like S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

OOoo this could be interesting. Frankly the engine does need a bit of an overhaul in terms of effects and hopefully less prone to bugs. Will keep my eyes on this one for sure.

ultimateownage:

We get it, you don't like anything but Fallout, and you're not positive to the thought of anything but Fallout. But it's getting kinda annoying now, actually.

OT; I'm a little skeptical to the console release thingy, because it's fairly common knowledge that studios that are from former Soviet countries develop good games but good games in need of help from modding communities, and we all know what the modding community on consoles look like...

Alright. Looking forward to this. STALKER was a refreshing slap in the face with a splintery board after Fallout 3. Let's hope they fix some bugs this time around.

Also, keep the G36 from Clear Sky. I have a soft spot for that thing.

Psychosocial:

ultimateownage:

We get it, you don't like anything but Fallout, and you're not positive to the thought of anything but Fallout. But it's getting kinda annoying now, actually.

OT; I'm a little skeptical to the console release thingy, because it's fairly common knowledge that studios that are from former Soviet countries develop good games but good games in need of help from modding communities, and we all know what the modding community on consoles look like...

Oh, I didn't like Fallout either.

ultimateownage:

Psychosocial:

ultimateownage:

Then what's the deal with the avatar and title?

First the newspost about Bethesda working on a "secret" project, and now a sequel to one of my favourite games! I just hope they give the PC priority, and scale it down for the consoles later on. This day could only get better if it started raining doughnuts...
*looks up in anticipation*

Psychosocial:

ultimateownage:

Psychosocial:

ultimateownage:

That's what I was thinking :S

Thedayrecker:

They said on I think Kotaku that the first three all put together basically made S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 1, and this is a sequel to that.

OT: I don't mean to be a jerk or anything, but they would really need to dumb this game down for the typical FPS player, especially on 360, or it will not do well at all. It's not like Halo where you can go running in shooting at everything and expect to live more than 2 seconds... But this is good new since I love the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series.

Psychosocial:

ultimateownage:

Psychosocial:

ultimateownage:

Just 'cause I dislike the game doesn't mean I disliked the game's theme, style and characters.

Thedayrecker:

I make the impossible possible every day.

ultimateownage:

Psychosocial:

ultimateownage:

Psychosocial:

ultimateownage:

Just 'cause I dislike the game doesn't mean I disliked the game's theme, style and characters.

Well, those three things are basically the whole series, and what makes it good, but it's all up to you, I suppose.

Bored Tomatoe:

This is my main fear.

I will NEVER buy another GSC game again if the following are present in the next installment of S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

- Checkpoint based save system (I HATE those!!!!!!1!1!!!111!!)
- Little to no graphics options for customization
- Arrow navigated menues ---> Annoying as hell!
- shorter/dumbed down story
- less capable AI than in previous games
- Smaller, less interactive world

Having said that, I look forward to seeing what GSC can turn out. I am hoping that they will not develop the next S.T.A.L.K.E.R. game on a console and port it to a PC, but rather the other way around. There is still so much potential for this franchise, and it has been successful enough so far. If successful, a sequal could skyrocket the franchise to the top of the charts. If they mess it up, there is a long way to fall.

A sequel would be great, and a multi-platform one would be even better. My PC can barely handle Call of Pripyat without exploding into lethal monitor shards.

tsb247:

Bored Tomatoe:

This is my main fear.

I will NEVER buy another GSC game again if the following are present in the next installment of S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Don't forget telling you the controls every three nanoseconds-

"Enter to hijack vehicle, Space to reload, Left click to fire..." I KNOW, I SET THEM MYSELF

I'm worried that releasing a console version will end up ruining the game.

And we'll end up with loads of console gamers playing the dumbed down version, then complaining about the game not being that good (thanks to the dumbing down)/too hard.

Anah'ya:

Somewhat less friendly? Fallout 3 is a light hearted comedy in comparison to the grit that S.T.A.L.K.E.R SC throws at ya'. Now, this Taffer could go into more detail, but that might result in an unnecessary wall of text slapping folks in the face and a potential lynching of said Taffer.

Fallout 3 is a lighthearted comedy.

Well, nearly.

This could be bad, very, very bad.

I really hope they dont feel the need to dumb it down for the console crowed. If they do dumb it down, the PC fans will reject them, the console crowed will love them, GSC sees that they got hell of a lot more money from consoles, abandons PC gamers. We the elite will then shed a tear for another fallen hero.

Sebenko:

tsb247:

Bored Tomatoe:

This is my main fear.

- The game reminds you of the controls with annoying pop-ups every three nanoseconds

Don't forget telling you the controls every three nanoseconds-

"Enter to hijack vehicle, Space to reload, Left click to fire..." I KNOW, I SET THEM MYSELF

I'm worried that releasing a console version will end up ruining the game.

And we'll end up with loads of console gamers playing the dumbed down version, then complaining about the game not being that good (thanks to the dumbing down)/too hard.

There, I fixed it. You're right. I forgot about that annoying console port feature that seems to find its way onto so many bad ports. I fear they will try and turn this game into something that the typical FPS fan would like, and that thought scares me - a lot.

tsb247:

wat

Oh, you mean a system where you can only save at certain points - not one that autosaves at reasonably placed intervals in addition to normal "anywhere goes" saving.

Gotcha.

ultimateownage:

Psychosocial:

ultimateownage:

Psychosocial:

ultimateownage:

so basically you love everything about the game except the Game. nice.

OT: never played the other S.T.Alker (cant be botheered to write it right) but they look pretty good so i'll watch this from a nearby bush.

Judgement101:

Thedayrecker:

Its the Sequilogy!

Isn't it a Saga?

Anah'ya:
2012 will be a good year.

Having said that:

The series is sort of like Fallout 3, but somewhat less friendly to players, other than the guitar playing.

*fangirl growl*

In a side by side comparison of Fallout and S.T.A.L.K.E.R, Fallout is a fairy tale land with rainbows coming out of everywhere compared to walking out of the first base in S.T.A.L.K.E.R and getting raped by three patrolling army folks.

Hope they don't ditch features from PC just to make the game easier to port to consoles (high-def resolutions, textures).

tsb247:

There, I fixed it. You're right. I forgot about that annoying console port feature that seems to find its way onto so many bad ports. I fear they will try and turn this game into something that the typical FPS fan would like, and that thought scares me - a lot.

A quick visit to the GSC forums reveals similar feelings for the Stalker community- the thread officially announcing Stalker 2 is six pages of worry about the game going multi-platform.

The Lost Big Boss:

In a side by side comparison of Fallout and S.T.A.L.K.E.R, Fallout is a fairy tale land with rainbows coming out of everywhere compared to walking out of the first base in S.T.A.L.K.E.R and getting raped by three patrolling army folks.

Marry me.

... well. No. Don't.

That was me agreeing very profoundly.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook