Rumor: Hackers Crack PS3 Copy Protection

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Marter:

FargoDog:

Marter:
I guess I'll just sit back and wait for the update which disables the USB ports on my PS3.

*sigh*

I doubt they'll take it that far. You'd be unable to charge the controller otherwise. They might just make it you can't use USB devices that don't have a Sony license.

You could still charge it on any other USB outlet. I usually charge on my laptop anyway, as the cable is too short to use the PS3 for that.

It was more intended as a joke anyway, especially after they removed the "Other OS" feature. >_>

Meh. People are fundamentally lazy.

And it's hard to tell over the internet :P

If this is true...

Well bad, bad news for Sony. :-(
It sucks, I've seen piracy in action for all consoles, but PS3 had managed to remain safe from that until this point. It's awful when you pay for a game full price, but see pirates buy the same game(or any software really) dirt cheap...

Marter:
I guess I'll just sit back and wait for the update which disables the USB ports on my PS3.

*sigh*

I hope they're not gonna be that stupid. I really do.

Dioxide20:
Trying to crack proof your console just delays the inevitable. It will always happen.

Isn't that the point by now? You can't stop piracy, so just make sure that you can hinder their progress long enough for you to get past the critical points of your sales (either based on time or units sold) so that you can make a return on your investments.

Joe Kilner:
On a related note, if the PS3 is so piracy free, then why aren't the games cheaper?

My guess is: The PS3 hardware itself costs much more than it is sold for, Sony regains this money through license fees from developers.

Arkley:
Even if it does work, and even if applying the device and its software to the PS3 is fast and easy, it still won't create a massive amount of piracy on the console, and certainly not the level of piracy the Wii and 360 have struggled with. The reason for this is simple:

To mod a Wii, all you need is an SD card and the ability to follow simple instructions. Everyone has an SD card, even your grandmother. The games (a mere 4ish gb in size) are then burned on simple, run of the mill DVDs with any old burner & burning program.

To mod a 360, all you need is the ability to follow simple instructions, although it does involve popping off the case of both the 360 and your computer. The games (a very managable 7.5ish gb in size) are burned easily on cheap dual-layered DVDs, and just about all modern DVD drives can burn to them.

Now, to mod a PS3, you'll need an imported piece of hardware, which will obviously cost you money. You'll need a blu ray burner, which are still uncommon and pretty expensive (200+ USD). You'll need to download or rip the games, which can be huge - between 20 & 50 gb. Blue ray discs themselves aren't cheap, especially not the dual layered ones.

All in all, with the amount of money it will cost you to be able to start burning and playing pirated PS3 games, you could quite easily buy a sizeable collection of real PS3 games, and not risk being banned from PSN/sued by anyone. You could probably make the trip to your local store a whole bunch of times in the ungoddly amount of time it would take to download & burn a 50gb game.

Yeah, I wouldn't worry too much about PS3 piracy...I will neither confirm nor deny previous involvement in...well, shall we say illicit activities, but faced with the prospect of having to torrent a 50 GB file over an 18 Mb/s connection...no thanks. I'll buy it. It's just not worth the hassle.

It's like writing viruses for Macs. It can be done, but why would you want to?

Joe Kilner:
If it is just a USB device, what's the bet it can be nullified with a firmware upgrade...

On a related note, if the PS3 is so piracy free, then why aren't the games cheaper?

But this is Sony, remember Other OS?

"Piracy by a flash drive! What!

Time to remove usb support! That will get them!"

kidding, but it would make me laugh.

Nintendo had the right idea with the Gamecube and the stupid smaller discs, since they were the only ones manufacturing the discs at the time it was pretty much impossible to pirate GC games

Now only if the games weren't 50 or so gigs a pop and weren't on a medium that's rather pricey to set up and burn. Maybe if they could get games to load off a HD like the old Xbox then it would be worth looking into possibly. As it stands though, too much hassle when the Wii and Xbox 360 are far and away easier to mod and play free games on.

Syntax Error:

Dioxide20:
Trying to crack proof your console just delays the inevitable. It will always happen.

Isn't that the point by now? You can't stop piracy, so just make sure that you can hinder their progress long enough for you to get past the critical points of your sales (either based on time or units sold) so that you can make a return on your investments.

Sure but as I said, there really should be better benefits for buying a game. Really, the old thing of free updates, where the updates weren't just slight balancing or fixing of glitches. I mean like TF2 style updates, or even new maps/game types.

As it is right now, except for a select few games, whats the point of buying a game, when you just end up having to buy more to keep the game from getting stale?

Every device is hackable the only question is when, and the ps3 did pretty well

this just proves once again that there no such thing as a piracy proof anything. also btw you said "Even worse, this method of piracy doesn't seem to require any hardware modifications (like needing to "modchip" your Xbox 360 or Wii)" altho there are hardware "modchips" for the wii it is also possible to play backup games via ether a normal cd or dvd, off the SD card and via usb mass storage WITHOUT any hardware modifications.

Arkley:
Even if it does work, and even if applying the device and its software to the PS3 is fast and easy, it still won't create a massive amount of piracy on the console, and certainly not the level of piracy the Wii and 360 have struggled with. The reason for this is simple:

To mod a Wii, all you need is an SD card and the ability to follow simple instructions. Everyone has an SD card, even your grandmother. The games (a mere 4ish gb in size) are then burned on simple, run of the mill DVDs with any old burner & burning program.

To mod a 360, all you need is the ability to follow simple instructions, although it does involve popping off the case of both the 360 and your computer. The games (a very managable 7.5ish gb in size) are burned easily on cheap dual-layered DVDs, and just about all modern DVD drives can burn to them.

Now, to mod a PS3, you'll need an imported piece of hardware, which will obviously cost you money. You'll need a blu ray burner, which are still uncommon and pretty expensive (200+ USD). You'll need to download or rip the games, which can be huge - between 20 & 50 gb. Blue ray discs themselves aren't cheap, especially not the dual layered ones.

All in all, with the amount of money it will cost you to be able to start burning and playing pirated PS3 games, you could quite easily buy a sizeable collection of real PS3 games, and not risk being banned from PSN/sued by anyone. You could probably make the trip to your local store a whole bunch of times in the ungoddly amount of time it would take to download & burn a 50gb game.

This argument makes a lot of sense to me.

Besides, as someone else pointed out, couldn't Sony just update the firmware to neutralize the threat?

MelasZepheos:
This sort of thing just annoys me, probably because I don't get piracy at all. I've never fully accepted that it isn't just stealing and I don't see why people steal luxuries like games etc. You don't need games, you just want them, and any technology that allows you to encourage an entitlement complex towards owning stuff will just keep twisting until you genuinely believe you have some sort of given right to own anything free.

It's not healthy, mentally or in a wider social context. And of course piracy does hurt the gaming industry, no matter what the pirates argue about 'striking a blow against the corporate businesses.' Even if the effect is indirect, ie. the whole DRM fiasco over Assassin's Creed II, you are still hurting the industry directly as a result of piracy.

While I agree that the pirates are the ones who started the whole thing, I don't think you can deny that DRM's have somewhat become a reason (or at least: a very, very, very good excuse) to pirate games. Some DRM's can be extremely irritating (Ubisoft requires constant internet connection, Securom requires a CD/DVD,... ). First thing I do when I buy a game is search for a crack to get rid of the DRM (with steam as one of the only exceptions).

If game developers/publishers would stop spending so much money on DRM's and instead use whatever money they saved to offer the game at a lower price, there would probably be a lot less piracy.

Lower prices would also solve their problem with used games ==> lower prices mean that you can gain less profit from selling them, making it less interesting to sell them.

somewhat more on topic: PS3 still has the advantage that the hardware you need is quite expensive (unless they find some way to run games from external HD's)

I smell bullshit and even if this is real I doubt it will take Sony long to release a update that will kill the device. Besides as other have pointed out its a hell of a lot cheaper to go out and buy the damn game then to download/rip and burn a copy.

JediMB:

John Funk:
Even worse, this method of piracy doesn't seem to require any hardware modifications (like needing to "modchip" your Xbox 360 or Wii) - just software and the USB dongle.

To be fair, all you need for the Wii is an SD card.

Why would you want to hack a Wii?
Any word on being able to break the 360's region lockout(for games not released locally)?

SAccharing10:
Nintendo had the right idea with the Gamecube and the stupid smaller discs, since they were the only ones manufacturing the discs at the time it was pretty much impossible to pirate GC games

I would imagine it would be a smart move by Microsoft (and Nintendo) if they got Toshiba to resume production of HD DVDs for their consoles (of course, assuming some kind of 3D disc format doesn't come out in the market and render even BluRays pathetically small.)

Pity, but it was bound to happen sooner or later. No system is 100% hacker-proof. Wonder how Sony will respond?

John Funk:
PS3's unique hardware and software made it essentially immune to piracy

No it didn't. It's a matter of the popularity really.

The PS3 is the least popular of the consoles, therefore there is less people interested in doing it, and less people to market it to.

It's like Viruses and Mac's. Mac's are no more immune than any other system, they just account for so low a market-share, there is no reason to make the effort to make them.

Jarrid:

JediMB:

John Funk:
Even worse, this method of piracy doesn't seem to require any hardware modifications (like needing to "modchip" your Xbox 360 or Wii) - just software and the USB dongle.

I did it to be able to play scummVM-compatible point-and-click adventure games on my Wii.

fake!
i won't believe until i see it with my own eyes.

*Takes off sunglasses*
It looks like this console has been...Shang Hai-d

YEAHHHHHHHHHH!!!

It was bound to happen, and knowing Sony, they will probably just force a software update to stop whatever foreign program was installed.

Jarrid:

JediMB:

John Funk:

Region free games, mostly.

I wonder how long it'll be before Youtube takes down that video?

I'll never get how people I know living at home are always ahead of industry types on piracy. The PS3 has probably been flashable this entire time, this just makes it easier. There's no such thing as piracy-proof.

Joe Kilner:
If it is just a USB device, what's the bet it can be nullified with a firmware upgrade...

You answered your own question.

Jarrid:

To be able to install custom software. Everything from being able to run backups of your games from an external harddrive, to being able to actually play DVD movies on it. It's silly easy to do, and you get so much more out of your console. there's plenty of reasons to do it, and they don't even have to be illegal ones.

double post, sorry.

Yeah I saw a thread about this on /v/. I also visited the website which is selling and releasing news about these hack devices, it's a little time consuming seeing as how large PS3 game files are and the fact that you need to transfer them onto a USB drive (takes quite a bit of time...). To be honest I'd rather pay for my games and support the gaming industry as well as be able to play my video games instantly. Not to mention I like shiny physical discs :D

I like my PS3 being piracy free, it just seems nicer that way ^_^

If they really did manage to hack it i hope it won't affect other people's experience, like i know the PSP hasn't had trophies implemented because it's so easy to hack.

The world will know that free men stood against a tyrant, that few stood against Sony, and before this battle was over, even a god-console can bleed.

I'm guessing Sony will again figure out a way to close this loop-hole, they've definitely shown that they created the PS3 with security in mind. But, if not, the lack of people with BRD burners and the cost of the media still, will most likely help keep piracy down...for a time that is.

As much as this sucks, I have to say, well done to Sony for keeping it hack-free for so damn long. Holy heck, several years is a pretty impressive run, much better than, say, Ubisoft's DRM :P

Syntax Error:

Dioxide20:

If ps3 piracy was possible day one, they only would've sold more consoles.

I can't speak for everyone, but a good portion of 'gaming' PCs are built with the assumption costs will be offset by the fact game purchases aren't a pure gamble.

As far as the article... overly romantic much? Its software based computing. If it can be accessed, it can be modified. Now lets get to work on brain hacking.

John Funk:

Pirates and mod chippers are notoriously resourceful people. If only they'd put that resourcefulness towards something actually useful for a change, like figuring out how to punch people in the face via Xbox Live and PSN.

Yes. Please, let this happen.

And well, this sounds like an easy 'jailbreak' like with the iPhone currently. Just software is being replaced/rewritten/added to the existing and voila, one happy jailbreak.

I bet alot of people around my life who only care about games and not online will utilize this if it's so easy. Still better than actually hardware modding your own 360. Though I hope they will commence these massive banwaves like Microsoft does, it really ruffles some feathers and scares the shit out of people, I can tell you that.

Well Sony, you had to be hurt sometime.

Straying Bullet:
Still better than actually hardware modding your own 360.

360 piracy hasn't been reliant on hardware modifications for a couple years. Most games are burn and play.

I just gotta add that hackers do not hack stuff to get free stuff especially the really tough nuts to crak like a ps3. Spending years on it for something that is going to be unwieldly to pirate for or hideously expensive to pirate for, many hackers do it to see if they can beat the beast. To see if they can top their peers that have tried to hack the same thing and to fight the power.

Now all that said bootleg shops in other nations are common place. People buy their pirated games from shops in many places for a fraction of the cost of the retail games. If this works those shops will be buying the burners and the disks and selling ps3 games along with the hack to people still probably well under what a legit sony game costs in those countries.

Will be interesting to see how fast firmware updates are forced on the ps3 to make this hack obsolete but older games could be ripe for the hacking, since they should run on any firmware that already exists and that this hack works on.

But for the typical home user i doubt this will ever become a do it yourself thing just because of the size of the games involved and the logistics of burning them, even if you can run them off the harddrive somehow that is a lot of time spending dling the thing if you need to put the whole disk image on your ps3 drive. And more than likely would would have to run your ps3 offline and loose any updates and dlc and multiplayer and newer games that require a update might not work at all with this hack and void any other games you have hacked.

Too soon to tell if or how well this thing would work at all or very long.

Well, we all knew it would happen anyways..and you know what? who uses the PSN seriously? multiplayers, and they generally don't pirate.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here