Rumor: Hackers Crack PS3 Copy Protection

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4

Really this isnt surprising or usefull in any way. Its always been fairly easy to find ways to crack the copy protection which is why every other disk based system has been pirated so quickly and easily. The problem with the ps3 is that its just not cost effective for people to do it.

The cost of a blueray burner plus blank blueray disks is worth more then a sizable collection of games. You also have to get a copy of the game which is usually done through rentals which although small it tacks on another cost. I guarentee you that once its cost effective to pirate games on the ps3 you will see an abundance of it just like on the wii and 360. When that day comes you will see a ps3 section added in your local variety stores right next to the wii, 360, and movies.

MelasZepheos:
This sort of thing just annoys me, probably because I don't get piracy at all. I've never fully accepted that it isn't just stealing and I don't see why people steal luxuries like games etc. You don't need games, you just want them, and any technology that allows you to encourage an entitlement complex towards owning stuff will just keep twisting until you genuinely believe you have some sort of given right to own anything free.

It's not healthy, mentally or in a wider social context. And of course piracy does hurt the gaming industry, no matter what the pirates argue about 'striking a blow against the corporate businesses.' Even if the effect is indirect, ie. the whole DRM fiasco over Assassin's Creed II, you are still hurting the industry directly as a result of piracy.

An excellent point well made. A friend of mine owns some copied DVD's and I keep thinking "Isn't that illegal?".

Meh, that's only part 1 accomplished.

Next would be easily being able to get blu-ray disc images, some of which go upto 50GB, not to mention the cost of blank blu-ray discs and a blu-ray burner drive.

PS3 piracy still wouldn't catch on with those kinds of costs.

Marter:
I guess I'll just sit back and wait for the update which disables the USB ports on my PS3.

*sigh*

Ah damn I didn't think of that. Sounds like a SONY move after the removal of the other OS option.

It was never hack proof, in the same way MacOS and Linux are no more resistant to virus infection than Windows. The PS3s architecture is fairly new still, It's not a common configuration so electronic-do badders, couldn't just port over thier old tricks. Cats out of the bag now and pirates dance the night away.

Om Nom Nom:

MelasZepheos:
This sort of thing just annoys me, probably because I don't get piracy at all. I've never fully accepted that it isn't just stealing and I don't see why people steal luxuries like games etc.

By definition, piracy isn't stealing. Stealing something is to take it away from the owner. Pirating software creates an entirely new copy that generates no direct loss.

Still illegal, mind.

That said, if (hypothetically) I have no intention/means of ever buying some game, and I pirate it instead, where is the harm? The industry wouldn't have gotten the money for it even if piracy didn't exist.

It's a cute example, one alot of pirates live by. I wasn't gonna buy it anyway. I'm left to take thier word for it, or don't. Of course you weren't gonna buy it, you were gonna pirate it. I agree that we shouldn't concern ourselves with more "casual pirates" that basically have no income or just enough to eat on. But that defense works best when what your pirating is a SNES emulator and chrono trigger rom, cause that's all your 10 year old gateway can run.

When your blasting Killzone 3 through your 50inch flatscreen and 5 speaker surround, I question the "I had no money to give you defense". The no intention to buy, followed by piracy isn't actually a defense at all. You desired the game, you refused to pay for it, that's piracy 101.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here