Konami's NeverDead is Immortal Dismemberment Katamari

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Konami's NeverDead is Immortal Dismemberment Katamari

Rebellion's NeverDead is sort of like Katamari, except players have to hunt demons and roll around to collect their own bodyparts.

Somehow, Konami's NeverDead was able to slip under my radar until its latest trailer was released at Gamescom. It's an elegant video, featuring a beautiful piece of classical music that plays as the main character's head rolls around to collect his detached body parts so he can reassemble his immortal self.

Metal Gear Acid producer Shinta Nojiri is teaming up with Aliens vs. Predator studio Rebellion for the game, which puts players in the shoes of a demon hunter that was "cursed" with immortality, according to a preview at 1up. NeverDead is a third person action title that uses a dismemberment mechanic instead of health bars.

"Dismemberment is so unique in our game that we felt we needed to take full advantage of it," Nojiri says. The mechanic doesn't only come into play when the main character gets damaged, but also in combat. The player may be able to throw his arm into a crowd of enemies while it continuously fires in all directions, or bring a room's entire ceiling down on himself and his enemies, killing them but not the immortal main character. Dismemberment is also part of the game's puzzles, as players might have to toss their head through a hole in the wall to see into the next area.

The game's E3 trailer gives you a better idea of what the fast-paced gameplay is like and also shows off the protagonist's mortal female partner. It looks like a hilarious game that probably should'nt be under the radar at all.

Source: 1up

Looks fun, through I wonder if you cant lose :\

OK, that blew me away somewhat. I'm gonna get this.

very interesting, but since apparently it isn't going to appear on PC I won't be able to play it. Also I wonder how they are going to make the game challenging if it isn't oly going to be puzzles. Say, something like Braid...

I know it's awfully nitpicky, but I hope they fix the collision-detection before release. I don't like the way limbs just go through the floor.

Otherwise, this looks cool. It's like being on the strategic receiving-end of VATS.

This is what the western world has done. Now even the japanese developers are making FPS games just to appeal to 'us'. As good as the game may turn out to be, on principles alone, I will have a personal boycott towards this game. Japanese games are to stay japanese, lol.

Not impressed, I have to say. Apart from the dismemberment mechanic this looks incredibly generic, especially the one-dimensional eyerolling sidekick filmed in awkward perv-o-vision.

There is a certain charm to the trailers that just makes me wanna smile so wide

I want this, I reeeaaaaally do. Better start saving up for a PS3.

But how come all the really intresting titles always manage to slip by unnoticed? This, for example, came completely out of the blue. Arenīt quirky ideas like this worth at least a little ruckus, or am I just not paying enough attention?

The description of the dismemberment mechanic and what it's used for reminds me of Plok. Anyone else remember that? Anyone? Bueller? Kind of obscure but pretty decent platformer for the SNES where your main ability was to throw your limbs at enemies and the environment to deal damage or activate switches and various other things. Of course, you were limited by the number of limbs you had, and if you fired them all off at once you were stuck as just a bouncing torso until you got them back. If they didn't hit anything, they'd just boomerang back to you, but some switches and stuff would actually consume them, and you'd have to go collect them from a clotheshanger somewhere else in the level. Weird little game (and some levels were brutally hard the farther into it you got), but pretty fun.

This looks pretty interesting, but GOD I recognized that dudes voice and it's gonna bug me ALL FREAKING DAY.

What did I just watch?

That was hilarious. Watched the Gamescon trailer laughing the entire way.

I need to see more gameplay so I can refine my judgments, but for now it looks like a mediocre third person shooter with a cheap gimmick. However, if there's some Stubbs the Zombie kind of thing going on, (like using individual body parts in order to proceed through the game) then we might have something cooking here. I know that puzzle solving has been confirmed and all, but still...need to see moar gameplay.

Not coming for PC? Awww... it looks pretty interesting and fun.

Nalgas D. Lemur:
The description of the dismemberment mechanic and what it's used for reminds me of Plok. Anyone else remember that? Anyone? Bueller?

Well, I DO remember that game, I remember renting it like 2 or 3 times, it was just so full of awesome. I remember trying to defeat those big mouth boss things, they were hard as hell and getting out of the first island was a real feat, and the whole game was just beginning when you reach the continent. No, not an obscure game at all. Even I could call this game Plok with gore and guns...

Thanks Escapist for reminding us of really interesting games instead of buying only the hype. Thank you!

I've been looking forward to this since E3, but now I've got a little question. Won't it get a little annoying after a while, having to roll around time and time again for your bodyparts?

Hopefully they don't try to pull what Fracture did and replace a good game with having an innovative gaming mechanic.

SupahGamuh:

Nalgas D. Lemur:
The description of the dismemberment mechanic and what it's used for reminds me of Plok. Anyone else remember that? Anyone? Bueller?

Well, I DO remember that game, I remember renting it like 2 or 3 times, it was just so full of awesome. I remember trying to defeat those big mouth boss things, they were hard as hell and getting out of the first island was a real feat, and the whole game was just beginning when you reach the continent. No, not an obscure game at all. Even I could call this game Plok with gore and guns...

I'm actually rather happy that someone else remembers it and liked it as much as I did. Maybe it was more popular in different areas, but I rarely run into anyone who even knows what I'm talking about. I still have the cartridge itself and am kind of tempted to hook up the SNES now just to play through it, but I think I'll probably go the emulator route just for the sake of having save states so I can actually beat it for once, which I never quite managed before. For something with that length and difficulty level, it sure could've used save files or a password system or something...

lol that looks pretty cool, hope they dont eff it up

Had me saying What the Fuck? twice.

Looks like a good mechanic and sounds fun, lets hope they don't cock it up.

Wow this looks insane, gotta check this out

Hmm, looked good, except I'm not a fan of the enemy design, and the dual cross hairs look horribly annoying to aim with.

awesome

I am now interested

Strange.... heh... konami... creepy

That may be the single most stupid and at the same time awesome idea for a game I have heard in ... Well I can't remember anything else on that level.

Intresting it's rare to come across such a unigue game

Now that was different.

Nice to see a game that doesn't take itself so seriously. The protagonist's voice-acting sucks, but my interest is still piqued.

It looks like a good game. And for anyone who thinks you can't have a quality game without a death or losing mechanic, just take a look at Planescape: Torment.

Psychosocial:
This is what the western world has done. Now even the japanese developers are making FPS games just to appeal to 'us'. As good as the game may turn out to be, on principles alone, I will have a personal boycott towards this game. Japanese games are to stay japanese, lol.

Um... it's Konami... they made Contra. Not to mention Lethal Enforcers, MGS, a shit ton of games using US properties (Ninja Turtles, Alien, and such), etc. They've been doing this forever now, kind of what Konami does.

Also, "FPS" really? It's not an FPS at all, sort of have to be first person for that label.

f1r2a3n4k5:
It looks like a good game. And for anyone who thinks you can't have a quality game without a death or losing mechanic, just take a look at Planescape: Torment.

^ this

Plus it's possible your head might be able to get squished or something if you don't rebuild yourself quick enough. Or maybe you only have a limited amount of time to collect.

These are the things I see in my head while vedging out on the subway.
I'm definitely giving this a rental at the very least.

Katamari is one of the greatest games ever made.

I'll have to keep an eye out for this game, it has piqued my interest.

Short a reply as it may be I can't say anything more about this trailer then "Lolwhat?"

Looks pretty clunky. Polish it please (that combat looks skill-less)

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here