Channel 4 Pumps Cash Into A.P.B. Dev's Home Town

Channel 4 Pumps Cash Into A.P.B. Dev's Home Town

Hot on the heels of Realtime World's financial problems, British television's Channel 4 has spent a tenth of its annual creative budget on the videogame industry in Dundee, Scotland.

The videogame industry in Dundee, Scotland, is currently facing a scary time, thanks in large part to the dire straits A.P.B. developer Realtime Worlds finds itself in. However, some good news has come to the area in the form of a 1 million investment from Channel 4, which is putting some serious money into games and games-related television.

The channel's investment has been split amongst Tag Games and Dynamo Games, which will both be creating some yet-to-be-revealed games based on a couple of Channel 4 programs. Meanwhile, Headlight Scotland, a TV production group, has been hired to create a three-part documentary series about the videogame industry's presence in Dundee.

According to Ian Mackenzie, Media Project Manager for Creative Diversity at Channel 4, things aren't as dark for game developers in the city as many people are assuming, thanks in part due to his company's investment. "[The 1 million] is a very positive counter point to the bad news of Realtime Worlds," he said. "This investment is one example of people recognizing the talent that is in Dundee."

While things certainly seem grim right now, the future of Realtime Worlds still remains to be seen; there are a number of ways this could go right now, such as the developer being snatched up by a larger company or a number of smaller studios springing up if it does collapse. In the meantime, the investment from Channel 4 can't hurt things, since it'll likely lead to some new jobs that employees leaving Realtime Worlds might be able to snatch up.

Source: Herald Scotland via GamesIndustry.biz

Oh wow. The people who love controversy have decided to donate money to the gaming world, just when the Tax breaks are being talked and argued about, and Realtime Worlds is actually hot on the list of being affected by this? My god, this is juicy.

Calumon: Hey, they show TNETENNBA's to people!

Here's hoping everything doesn't go tits up for them and that they can recover.

On some channel 4 programs? ... ... ...

I hope to god that includes E4...

Ohh. i like C4 and games. What can go wrong?

I done a review on that article from The Herald for English!;D

It may be crappy TV show games they are funding, but any funding is good funding right now.

Wait wait wait...

Dundee has electricity? [/badjoke]

OT: This puts me in two minds:

It's always good to see investment in the games industry.

On the other hand:

vansau:
The channel's investment has been split amongst Tag Games and Dynamo Games, which will both be creating some yet-to-be-revealed games based on a couple of Channel 4 programs. Meanwhile, Headlight Scotland, a TV production group, has been hired to create a three-part documentary series about the videogame industry's presence in Dundee.

Not really sure where this is going. So what are we going to get: "The Sims - Big Brother"? "Cooking Mama: Come Dine With Me"? How about "Grand Theft Coach Trip", where you have to drive around in a coach and put up with a load of twats in the back?

The documentary might be pretty cool. I just hope to god they don't do one of those "100 Greatest" programmes about games - biggest flame bait ever.

FREE MARKET CAPITALISM SAVES THE DAY AGAIN!!!

unless they make a Big Brother game...

Anyone for Hollyoaks: The Game?
(Second guess: Deal or No Deal and Countdown)

People may scoff but Channel 4 has done some stirling work in incorporating games into the mainstream media. Actually Channel 4, in general, has done some stirling work in the media.

Yeah, there have been atrocities like Shoddyoaks, Network 7/The Word (look it up ;)) and, of course, BITS...

Yeah...well...you did know the Booth actually wrote this as well...
She's...enthusiastic about her work.

Wow, that is awesome. Way to go, Channel 4.

Who remembers Digitiser on Channel 4 Teletext? A truly brilliant gaming magazine. I would love to see Paul Rose reprise his role as Mr Biffo for a TV show (he's a BAFTA-nominated writer of TV shows now) as well as other regulars like Violet Berlin. Regardless, I hope it will not be some dreary "teen" thing like T4.

Right, so the games will be based on Big Brother, Friends or Gok Won.

Outlaw Torn:

please god no... anything but that!

Hence once again proving channel 4 as being the coolest channel.

Outlaw Torn:

A friends game would be pretty awesome and so would a big brother one, well as long as it involves torturing the house-mates, there could be pointy sticks involved.

It is only now that I learn my old hometown has videogame companies.

The_root_of_all_evil:
People may scoff but Channel 4 has done some stirling work in incorporating games into the mainstream media. Actually Channel 4, in general, has done some stirling work in the media.

Yeah, there have been atrocities like Shoddyoaks, Network 7/The Word (look it up ;)) and, of course, BITS...

Bits was great. It showed that girl gamers are every bit as enthusiastic about gaming as guys.

Huh, I've always wondered what it looks like when someone actually sells their soul to the devil. Seriously though, what Channel 4 programs can be turned into games? Misfits, maybe?

It's too much to hope for You Have Been Watching to become a game. Which would actually be really weird.

The_root_of_all_evil:

What.

The.

Fuck.

Oh the irony,one failing company supporting one another.

Yosharian:

The_root_of_all_evil:

What.

The.

Fuck.

my thoughts exactly... that was insane!

Retarded is more the word I'd use, but yeah

The_root_of_all_evil:

snip

Hell, I'd sit and watch Emily Booth talk about games...

But on a more serious note, I'd like to see more programs like Charlie Brooker's Gameswipe (BBC) as it was really a nice look at not so much the games, but the games industry, what goes on behind them, how they're made, what makes a good game, what makes a bad game, what is retro? etc.

I think if the wider public knew a bit more about the whole culture of computergames then maybe they'd be less steriotypical against them understand them a bit more, and have a bit more of a real discussion argument for/against things like 2nd hand games, violence, age ratings, etc.

Thats rather charitable of them? Will it be enough to help though is the question...I got a bad feeling...

OceanRunner:

Bits was great. It showed that girl gamers are every bit as enthusiastic about gaming as guys.

Yeah, but in general, the girl gamers haven't been given many 'positive' 'stereotypes', have they?

Then again, look what we get...

I'm about to go to St. Andrews for school! Right next to Dundee. I wasn't aware that it was so large.

Jack and Calumon:
Oh wow. The people who love controversy have decided to donate money to the gaming world, just when the Tax breaks are being talked and argued about, and Realtime Worlds is actually hot on the list of being affected by this? My god, this is juicy.

Jack and Calumon:

I came here to kick arse and drink some milk. And I've just finished my milk.

OT: What the fuck are they going to make out of their programs? I dread to think what atrocities are going to show up. Still, it's nice of them.

Looks like this mostly doesn't involve RTW but it might open up a few positions for game developers.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here