Lenovo's Ebox Enters the Console War

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Lenovo's Ebox Enters the Console War

A fourth contender seeks to enter the battle for console dominance, but only in China for now, where the big three have no presence.

Chinese technology firm Lenovo has announced its intentions to release a controller-free videogame console called the Ebox. Lenovo developed a spin-off firm called Beijing eedoo Technology to work on the product, which is only planned for release in China, an area where the government has previously banned the import of videogame consoles.

Jack Luo, new president of Beijing eedoo, compares the Ebox to Microsoft's Kinect. It will reportedly be able to read players' movements with a camera, just like the upcoming Xbox 360 peripheral. "We are the world's second company to produce a controller-free game console, behind only Microsoft," Luo says.

However, don't expect the two to go head-to-head anytime soon. Luo predicts more than 1 million Ebox sales per year after two or three years, but the console is only planned for launch in China (possibly in early 2011). Its release in other areas seems unlikely, but hasn't been totally ruled out. The Ebox will launch with 30 free games as a method of dealing with China's rampant piracy issues.

And as for the Chinese government's problem with videogame consoles, considering them to be a form of entertainment unhealthy to youth, Beijing eedoo plans to market the Ebox as a healthy, patriotic activity. "Our product is designed for family entertainment," Luo says. "Ebox may not have exquisite game graphics, or extensive violence, but it can inspire family members to get off the couch and get some exercise." Luo also hopes to produce games with a Chinese cultural element to "win customers' hearts."

Microsoft wants to make its way into the Chinese market and is hoping for approval of Xbox 360 sales there, but faces an uphill battle. Beijng eedoo believes it holds the region advantage regardless because it's a Chinese company that better understands Chinese consumers. Personally, I can't wait to take a gander at some of the games the 16 separate game development companies are reportedly creating for the Ebox. I'm sure they'll be spectacular, in one way or another.

Source: China Daily

Somehow this reminds me of the Chintendo Vii from a while back.

So it's not so much "enters the console war" as "doesn't pose a threat to the Big Three in any way at all".

Ebox...
eXbox...
Hmm...

Eh, sucks to be the Chinese, I suppose.

Seems vaguely reminiscent of this.

It's not even in the console war. It's in a sealed room two blocks over from the console war

"A healthy, patriotic activity"...? There just seems something disturbing and absurd about that wording.

Ebox
Xbox
Going to be like Kinet

This sounds like a pop-station.

EDIT: Behold, yon pop-station.

God I love how the Chinese have all but nationalized piracy.

Knight Templar:
Ebox
Xbox
Going to be like Kinet

Your avatar is hilarious. Just saying.

Nova5:
"A healthy, patriotic activity"...? There just seems something disturbing and absurd about that wording.

It's china.. can't really beat it for absurd and disturbing without hitting up the sci-fi totalitarianisms.

It seems kind of like one of those controllers that you buy at a sports store for $20 and promise like 165 game knockoffs...

Oh god, the Chintendo Vii... *sigh*...
Anyways, I don't really see how this is competing with the other consoles... It's catering to a completely different market. Can't imagine Microsoft losing money over this...

The second console to not use a controller? They seem to have forgotten the PS2 Eyetoy.

Patrick_and_the_ricks:

Powerful Weapon Machine! Powerful Weapon Machine!

Wow. That was..... interesting.

Patrick_and_the_ricks:

YEAH FOR NON-EXISTANT NOCK OFFS :D

Knight Templar:
Ebox
Xbox
Going to be like Kinet

your avatar makes me laugh!

"And as for the Chinese government's problem with videogame consoles, considering them to be a form of entertainment unhealthy to youth, Beijing eedoo plans to market the Ebox as a healthy, patriotic activity."

and so does that! china is more predictable than japan now i guess.

Glamorgan:
Snip

Sorry to be the barrer or bad news, but you were ninja'd by "Patrick and the ricks."

Meh, its china; more than likely the games will be more brainwashing.
I admit my view of china may be grimmer than the reality but...nothing has changed since the bad old days, you know? the same ideas, sometimes even the same people are still running things.
They just smile more.

Not G. Ivingname:

Glamorgan:
Snip

Sorry to be the barrer or bad news, but you were ninja'd by "Patrick and the ricks."

So I was. Well played good sir. Well played.

Not G. Ivingname:

It actually exists.....

Patrick_and_the_ricks:

Not G. Ivingname:

It actually exists.....

o_O

I thought that advertisement was a joke...

don't we have enough stuff from china and plus won't it need some real heavy localization I mean it says patriotic activity I don't think America would like china trying to fill their children's heads with communism I think it might be more trouble then it's worth for them to expand

"We are the world's second company to produce a controller-free game console, behind only Microsoft," Luo says.

Third actually, Sony dd it first with the eye toy. While technically not entirely controller free. It was basically the same thing, and promptly crashed and burned.

Judgement101:

Knight Templar:
Ebox
Xbox
Going to be like Kinet

Your avatar is hilarious. Just saying.

I second that comment.

Games announced so far for this glorious console include:

"Virtual Factory"
"Noodle Maker 2000"
"Creepy Olympic Mascot Designer"
and
"Master Chief Battles Democracy"

Personally, I can't wait.

Badger Kyre:

Nova5:

It's china.. can't really beat it for absurd and disturbing without hitting up the sci-fi totalitarianisms.

I was actively trying to avoid the Orwell / Huxley references, but yeah, I've got to admit that you've got a point.

Nova5:

What do you think? It's China.
I live in Hong Kong and personally, almost every single thing China does forces me to facepalm.

Oh, China and all of their bootlegged technology.

I laugh at Ebox.

Far as I'm concerned, it'll never live up to that standards of the big leagues, Far as I'm concerned, it's Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft forever.

I hope it gets released in Canada. I would like to play these "patriotic" games and see what they're like. As for console wars, you there hasn't been a war if no one's even going against each other yet. Now I wish there would be a Canadian console; just not the F-box or the Y-box.

Ldude893:

Nova5:

What do you think? It's China.
I live in Hong Kong and personally, almost every single thing China does forces me to facepalm.

Are you really allowed to say that?

Tom Goldman:
Ebox may not have exquisite game graphics, or extensive violence

When I read this I laughed. It also reminded of a cheap Wii knockoff I saw a few weeks back here in Australia. It came with 16 games built in (mostly driving and puzzle palette swaps) and they all looked like 16bit generic titles from the early 90's.

kill it with fire! :P

I feel bad for chinese citizens. What with their over controlling government n such.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here