BioWare: Dragon Age 2 Has Plenty of Choices

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

BioWare: Dragon Age 2 Has Plenty of Choices

There might be less choice at the beginning of Dragon Age 2, but BioWare's Ray Muzyka says that the game makes up for it later.

Unlike its predecessor, you won't be able to play as a Dwarf or an Elf in Dragon Age 2. In fact, you won't be able to play as anyone other than human refugee-turned-champion Hawke, and you'll only get to pick your class and gender. But BioWare boss Muzyka says that despite this more limited beginning, there would be plenty of decisions for players to make in Dragon Age 2.

Muzkya called Dragon Age 2 a "first-person narrative" from the perspective of Hawke, saying that the game had been built around Hawke being human, and that BioWare made up for the constraints in character choice with "a lot of other choices" later on. He said that telling a more specific story allowed for it to be more polished and for BioWare to do some "cool things" with the flow of the narrative. He added that the game would not lack for diversity, as there would be plenty of variety in the characters you recruited to your cause.

Some people are already annoyed over the reported differences between the first and second game, and it's unclear whether Muzyka's comments will reassure them or just upset them further. It's probably worth mentioning that while previous BioWare games may have let you define your character to a greater degree, you've always been someone very specific - like the child of an evil god or the last Spirit Monk - and in that respect Dragon Age 2 isn't very different at all.

Dragon Age 2 is released on March 8th in America and March 11th in Europe.

Source: VG247

As long as the armors and weapons will be epic-looking instead of silly, it sounds good to me.
And I want many easter eggs. Many. Like, a lot.

Bioware hasn't disappointed me yet. Like.. ever. I'm giddy for Dragon Age 2, in any manner.

As long as they include some decent magi hats this time around, I'm sold.

I'm not annoyed at all about the whole race thing, as long as the game is good then i'm happy. BioWare hasn't dissapointed me yet.

I don't mind not being able to choose race or last name. It worked in Mass Effect, and if that will help to create even more personalized story it's a good decision in my eyes. In DA:O you were forced into becoming a Warden no matter how silly were your choices, so here i am hoping that DA2 will provide more consequence having a character set up beforehand.

My personal ire stems from the fact that Dragon Age was a return towards the "old" style of making roleplaying games, where the player had a lot of options in customizing their character. I can't help but think that Bioware is moving Dragon Age closer towards Mass Effect with this choice, and personally I liked them both for different reasons. Mass Effect was a tight, well-told personal narrative while Dragon Age was more of a traditional hero epic.

I am not worried about Hawke being a bad character or Dragon Age 2 lacking options. I am worried that the simplified combat will make Dragon Age 2 into Medieval Effect.

Bioware is one of the best companies for RPGs, so I put my complete faith in that they know what they are doing.
Don't let us down, Bioware.

It isn't the choices that make the game, It is the impact those choices have on the situation and the story.

More choices isn't all that good, if it means the story isn't up to a standard or the gameplay struggles.

I refuse to get exited, until I hear something concrete about improvements to mistakes made in the first game.

Bioware rarely lets down, but Dragon Age 1 was halfway there. Please let this be a step away from disappointment, instead of another towards it.

I actually like this. The main character in Origins didn't seem to have any personality.

Plus, it seems like it's closer to Mass Effect now, which is always a plus to me.

Gethsemani:

I am not worried about Hawke being a bad character or Dragon Age 2 lacking options. I am worried that the simplified combat will make Dragon Age 2 into Medieval Effect.

As far as i understand all the info we got so far about DA2, the simplified combat will mostly affect console version of the game, to make it more pad-friendly. PC version will still have full tactical combat.

SODAssault:
As long as they include some decent magi hats this time around, I'm sold.

Agreed. Less dunce caps and napkins please.

OT: The only thing that really bothers me is the dialog system. I liked Origin's. I was able to imagine my character speaking in the voice of Stephan Fry. Plus I fear some of the more silly and funny dialog choices won't happen, due to less dialog choices and voice acting constraining things. Not to mention what this could do to mods, if there's even mod support in this one.

Gethsemani:
I am worried that the simplified combat will make Dragon Age 2 into Medieval Effect.

And I was worried that they would keep the same combat system and that I would be constantly reminded of how World of Warcraft had done it so much better, again. If they make the gameplay better and keep the apparent epicness of the original I'll enjoy it.

Day one purchase for me. My only wish, as a PS3-owning UK resident, is that they don't put any expansion packs out as DLC-only and have the cheek to charge 32.

Keava:

Gethsemani:

As far as i understand all the info we got so far about DA2, the simplified combat will mostly affect console version of the game, to make it more pad-friendly. PC version will still have full tactical combat.

Well from what i understand from the BioWare forums is that they want the same combat has DA:O but to be more responsive.

I don't mind their decision. If they are going to make it more like Mass Effect, I think that is a good thing.

There has yet to be a Bioware game that disappointed me, so far Dragon Age 2 sounds like a game I'll enjoy.

Flamezdudes:

Keava:

Gethsemani:

Well from what i understand from the BioWare forums is that they want the same combat has DA:O but to be more responsive.

Basically combat stayed the same. But now animations are a lot better, more messy kills and characters quickly run/jump towards enemy when you issue order instead of walking.

And that means it's an RPG right? Just like Mass Effect 2 right? Oh wait, that was barely an RPG. Fucking Bioware have sucked since KOTOR. The dialogue "choices" will mostly play out in the exact same way no matter what you say and the "OMG big decisions" will do nothing more than supply a crappy written exposition which don't influence the game world at all.

So wait...do you just get two generic human characters and pick between them (Like Resi 5) or can we still build our own characters, they just have to be human?

As long as I can still make odd looking faces by sliding bars I'm happy enough. And it will be nice to have a name in cut-scenes this time rather than being "Warden" all the time.

Gethsemani:
My personal ire stems from the fact that Dragon Age was a return towards the "old" style of making roleplaying games, where the player had a lot of options in customizing their character. I can't help but think that Bioware is moving Dragon Age closer towards Mass Effect with this choice, and personally I liked them both for different reasons. Mass Effect was a tight, well-told personal narrative while Dragon Age was more of a traditional hero epic.

There was a nail here, and I do believe you hit it on the head.

The character already looks better than every character I ever created xD

I understand why they're going about it this way. They're obviously trying to make a more 'Mass Effect formula'

I dislike silly choices in my rpg video games. Seeing as how in a real rpg, the choices are unlimited. i find petty dialogue options to be redundant and that rpg's should be on a fixed story.

Generic_Dave:
So wait...do you just get two generic human characters and pick between them (Like Resi 5) or can we still build our own characters, they just have to be human?

You have to build them, if it so hard, why don't you ask the makers of the game? They actually do talk with their Fanbase.

itll ether be realy good or realy bad but i think its a good risk to take if they can get the mass effect story and the combat and epic world of dragon age to work together itll be fun:)

Bioware is one of the best developers in the world and always seem to produce a constant stream of good titles with amazing narative. Dragon Age 2 will be no different.

Do we still get to edit the face at all? I won't be mad if not, just hoping there'll be some cosmetic freedom. I really doubt there is much they would do that would prevent me from buy and enjoying the game. A few of the little things already please me more than they should. Namely the name Hawke, the fact that he is using a spear-sword or whatever it is actually called.

CK76:

Gethsemani:

Yeah I'm about here too. Seems Bethesda is the last RPG maker left. I may give this one a miss. Ok we get it Mass Effect was big can you do any other tricks?

I don't mind only being able to play as a human. What I do mind is that they haven't released any gameplay trailers already. Or shown it off so I can drool some more and really go into preorder-overdrive.

Seriously. It's a BioWare game. It will be awesome no matter what.

Well, as people already know my stance on this, in which it will be frigging awesome, I just want to say, that thing in the text "child of an evil god". I think you just spoiled Baldur's Gate for me. Thanks, escapist.

I want my over complicated combat. I want lots of loot to compare and tinker with. I want epic conversations and I don't want to play Mass Effect not in space.

Basically, I want Baldur's Gate 3 please?

IceStar100:

CK76:

Gethsemani:

Yeah I'm about here too. Seems Bethesda is the last RPG maker left. I may give this one a miss. Ok we get it Mass Effect was big can you do any other tricks?

Yeah, I dont like how they are putting morrigans story which has so much potential into a dlc either, it seems they want my warden gone, replaced by hawke. I dont even see why im importing, the world isnt going to be effected much. Also about mass effect yes it was good, shame that they dumbed it down in 2, now DA is being dumbed down. I dont like how Bioware is going.

As long as they have sex in this game i'm sure it will sell like crazy.

As long as it allows more freedom then Masseffect 2 and is longer then Jade Empire the only two games they put out that disapointed me I will be good.

I trust a Bioware employee to tell the whole truth about as much as I would a used car salesman. I'll wait until there's a hands on preview from someone whose checks aren't signed by Ray Muzyka

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here