Microsoft Ups Price For Xbox Live Subscription

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Microsoft Ups Price For Xbox Live Subscription

Microsoft is increasing the price of a gold Xbox Live subscription, but not every price, and not everywhere in the world.

Starting November 1st, Microsoft is increasing one or more of the prices for a Gold Xbox Live subscription in the USA, UK, Canada and Mexico. In the US, the costs of one month, three month and twelve month subscriptions are all increasing. In the UK and Canada, only the cost of a one month subscription will increase, and in Mexico only the twelve month subscription is going up. The changes were announced on Larry "Major Nelson" Hryb's blog, and Hryb said that all other prices would remain the same.

Here's a breakdown of the new rates, after the increase:

USA
  • One Month: $9.99 (up from $7.99)
  • Three Months: $24.99 (up from $19.99)
  • Twelve Months: $59.99 (up from $49.99)

• UK
  • One Month: £5.99 (up from £4.99)

• Canada
  • One Month: $9.99 CAD (up from $8.99 CAD)

• Mexico
  • Twelve Months: 599 Pesos (up from 499 pesos)

Hryb wrote that since launching Xbox Live in 2002, Microsoft had increased the amount of content and features, but had kept the price the same. He added that he was confident that despite the extra cost, an Xbox Live Gold subscription would "continue to offer the best value in the industry." Microsoft is also offering subscribers a chance to purchase another twelve months at a reduced price, but that seems to only apply to the US.

The cost of running the Xbox Live system must have grown to enormous levels since it started, and the fact that Microsoft has kept the price the same for eight years shows how reluctant it is to pass that cost on to its subscribers. The change in pricing will inevitably upset some people, but at the very most, an Xbox Live Gold subscription will cost you an additional $24 a year, which really isn't a huge amount of money.

Source: via Slashgear

I got that e-mail too.

If you've been a member for some time, they also let you get another year for $39.99, instead the new price.

Well, its not too much I suppose - Had to happen, with all the changes with finances as of late...

While I am not affected, this certianly sucks.

Well, I guess Microsoft can do whatever they want. Their company, their prices.

I'm not bothered - I'm already covered for the next year and a half or so, and I usually get all that I can with my Gold subscriptions

Haven't gotten another card of gold ever since I ran out last time, got sick of paying their prices. This is just more evidence that I did the right thing.

Mhm..

Goodbye xbox live.
I no longer require you.

Given that this is the first rate hike since the service was launched, and that it's a far more robust service than when it started, a small price increase hardly seems unreasonable.

Considering that I already thought $50 a year was a good deal, doesn't seem to be that much of a problem. That and I already have an existing Year subscription, my email told me I would have a reduced fee to renew that subscription when it was up, $39.99 I think.

Combine that with the fact that I agree in the value of Live and how I've had one real connection issue in nearly a year of having my Xbox, I don't have any complaints about the service. Someone (in this thread, even) will of course complain about creedy 'Micro$oft' just upping prices for no reason- but I think they're just having a stingy gut reaction to the fact that 'raaar I have to pay a little more money' and not looking at what they get- or what their money goes toward.

They really need another tier for those of us who only want multiplayer without all this extra crap we don't use.

Browser error please delete

Susan Arendt:
Given that this is the first rate hike since the service was launched, and that it's a far more robust service than when it started, a small price increase hardly seems unreasonable.

This is legitimate. I just wonder at the timing - is it good, or bad timing? Kinect is coming down the pipe...are they pinning their hopes and dreams on it to maximize profits? Or is this a response to the PSN Premium charged serviced, giving XBL an exscuse to raise rates?

In any case, no matter HOW justified, when you raise rates without giving users a definative list of new features, there will be HAYTE. And this is Internets PR 101, and they should understand it by this point.

Hmmmmm, up one dollar per month...

Well, that's inflation for ya.

PS3 win, I dont use my 360 for online gaming. $60 bucks a year? its ridiculous

Wait, does that mean that the UK's annual price doesn't change?

I'm fine with that

Oh wow your service has grown, Its gains at least a dozen features I don't use and never plan to use. I don't want ESPN, I don't want net flicks, don't care bout Facebook or twitter. If your complaining that these cost allot their is a solution, only charge to those who want it or use it, why should i have to pay more for services that are nether wanted or used.

I was pissed when I first saw the news, but as it sunk in I'm a little less upset. I just renewed for the lower rate and won't have to worry about it for another year anyway!

Idk, it's not that bad of a rate hike, but I might actually opt not to renew my Gold Subscription. For how little I actually use it, I don't think I can justify to myself paying another $60 for a year. :/

I was actually waiting for a sale to renew my subscription. Looks like I did the right thing since with how tight money is here that $20 will matter to me. I'm really glad they gave us a good deal before jacking up the price. Halo Reach here I come!

And here I was thinking 40 a year was too much for the privilege of playing my own games. Boy, what a cunt I am!

well, as long as the 1 year uk subscription stays constant, I'm fine

Not a lot of money maybe, but it seems like an odd thing to do in the current U.S. economic climate. Hope for their sakes that the differential increase makes up for the inevitable cancellations...

It would be nice to have 2 payment options 1 for multiplayer and 1 for multiplayer + facebook and shit.

Theres like what? 40 million 360's sold? With like 75% using xbox live? that is a lot of money microsoft you sick bastards.

Psydney:
Not a lot of money maybe, but it seems like an odd thing to do in the current U.S. economic climate. Hope for their sakes that the differential increase makes up for the inevitable cancellations...

Well, let's be honest - playing videogames at all, be it online or off, is a luxury. So if you're hard enough hit by the economy that less than a dollar a month is going to affect you, you've probably long since gotten rid of your gaming stuff.

While I can't really understand people freaking out over a very small increase, I certainly can understand folks not wanting to pay for a bunch of features they don't use. (I have this same issue with cable TV providers.) I do actually like the idea of two tiers, multiplayer only , and everything, but I'm guessing would be problematic and end up costing nearly as much per month as just getting everything. Or maybe it's just too much of a technological pain in the ass. I don't know.

The bottom line is, if you don't get enough use out of your Gold membership to justify less than a dollar more a month, then you're probably already paying more for it than you should. And there's absolutely nothing wrong with coming to that decision - that's why there's a Silver membership, after all.

digital warrior:
Oh wow your service has grown, Its gains at least a dozen features I don't use and never plan to use. I don't want ESPN, I don't want net flicks, don't care bout Facebook or twitter. If your complaining that these cost allot their is a solution, only charge to those who want it or use it, why should i have to pay more for services that are nether wanted or used.

Exactly, that's why to respect to those who do use it, I am not going to pay for the services YOU will be using. I live in Europe, sure I am not affected but I forsee they will push this price scheme even further.

All I want from Xbox Live = Online gaming / Inside news / Patches & my achievements.

Bullfuckingshit.

An extra 1.00 a month doesn't seem like such a hike...seeing that I'm on the annual subscription, there's no change for me here anyway.

Anyone else having problems getting the $40 year deal to confirm? All I get are error messages.

Microsoft is as business savvy as ever. "Hey, how do we get more users on our service? Well, let's add a bunch of features that other, more convenient mediums have! Yeah! Then we can raise the price!" I bought a PS3 in addition to my xbox specifically for the free online access and I STILL never play online. Besides, I thought the fee was for all the servers and infrastructure that they allegedly had to build and maintain. Wouldn't all that crap be more than paid for by now, especially with all the ads they sold on top of it?

Although when I heard about it at first, I was a little pissed off, but thinking about it now it kind of makes sense. Eight years with no price raise followed by a $10 per year price raise doesn't seem that bad. Still planning on cancelling my subscription, I haven't used XBL in a while.

Lucky for me I do yearly subscriptions. For once, I am thanking my lucky stars I live in Britain. :)

But I think they can avoid price hikes by trimming the fat off some of the X-box Live stuff. Speaking from my own grumpy and British perspective here's some of the stuff they can get rid of...

SentUAMessage - I hope MS stops putting those two berks on to answer questions which can be solved with a 20 second trip to Google.

The Independent Charles Show - While an eye on the independent scene is always welcome, his eyesore of a show just has to go. The indie scene deserves better than this.

Insider Moves - It's just another IGN Strategise without Jessica Chobot. Plus IGN are most likely paying MS to be put on the dashboard. (Citation needed.)

Facebook / Twitter - Nothing a trip to the nearest PC or phone couldn't cure.

Sorry if I come across as a moaning minnie, but some of the dashboard stuff is just superfluous to me. (Though I am well aware that I don't have to watch it.)

Susan Arendt:

Psydney:

Well, let's be honest - playing videogames at all, be it online or off, is a luxury. So if you're hard enough hit by the economy that less than a dollar a month is going to affect you, you've probably long since gotten rid of your gaming stuff.

That depends - people who are uneasy about their economic situation but haven't been hurled over some drastic precipice yet may be looking just to hold the line or cut a few corners. And as TsunamiWombat suggested a price increase without any "Look, pretty new toys!" sales pitch is perhaps a little short-sighted on Microsoft's part. On a purely rational basis I agree with you - but I can also envision the less rational screech of "That's the last straw, I quit!" (okay, maybe that was too polite) following by the canceling of the account.

Psydney:

Susan Arendt:

Psydney:

That depends - people who are uneasy about their economic situation but haven't been hurled over some drastic precipice yet may be looking just to hold the line or cut a few corners. And as TsunamiWombat suggested a price increase without any "Look, pretty new toys!" sales pitch is perhaps a little short-sighted on Microsoft's part. On a purely rational basis I agree with you - but I can also envision the less rational screech of "That's the last straw, I quit!" (okay, maybe that was too polite) following by the canceling of the account.

An explanation - even just a "cost of living, yo" one - would certainly be a very good idea, you're spot on about that.

Susan Arendt:

Compared to PSN, which as also become far more robust since launch, and is still free. Even with PS+ none of the original features have been charged for.

Okay, seriously, the comparison was going to happen if it hadn't happened already. But overall, I have to agree with these guys here;

digital warrior:

Straying Bullet:
Exactly, that's why to respect to those who do use it, I am not going to pay for the services YOU will be using. I live in Europe, sure I am not affected but I forsee they will push this price scheme even further.

All I want from Xbox Live = Online gaming / Inside news / Patches & my achievements.

Bullfuckingshit.

I honestly, personally, don't get what makes LIVE worth the money. I don't care if it's just a cent a year, why would I give them my money if I can get just as good, if debatable better, services for free? I don't care about Facebook, Twitter, or Netflix, and especially not the ESPN thingamajig that they were hyping up at E3. It's something called a computer, I'm using it right now. All I care about is the games, and apparantly I have to pay an extra $5 (now $6 depending on the plan) just to access the online portion of it.

I dunno, I'm just getting a real bad vibe for Microsoft's future in this industry. Maybe it's because I'm a Sony fanboy, in fact it probably is, but with the way they're handling Kinect and now this show of money-grabbing (again, most likely bias), I'm just really worried for them. I respect them as a company, but I dislike them from a gamer standpoint.

While i probably wouldn't be bothered by this news if I DID pay for xbox live, as I don't, I'm doubly not bothered by it.

Basically just reaffirms why I don't pay, really.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here