Old Republic Dev Builds Amazing Model Lightsaber

Old Republic Dev Builds Amazing Model Lightsaber

It's not just Jedi that build their own lightsabers, it's Senior Visual Effects Artists too.

Bradley W. Lewis is a man of many talents. Not only is he a videogame developer - currently working for BioWare Austin on Star Wars: The Old Republic - he's also an extremely talented model maker. Lewis has made a replica of Luke Skywalker's lightsaber from Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope in his spare time that is simply astounding.

With the aim of being more true to the movies than Hasbro's Force FX sabers, Lewis has tried to use the same parts used by the original Star Wars prop designers. His saber is built out of old camera parts, brass sheeting, and parts salvaged from clocks and hard drives, with some electronics thrown in for the noises and the glow. Lewis said his saber is brighter and louder than a Force FX saber, and from the pictures, it's easy to believe.

If you visit Lewis's site - and I whole-heartedly recommend that you do - you can see pictures spanning the entirety of the three month build. The saber is painstakingly intricate, and if you're at all interested in prop-making or Star Wars, you'll likely appreciate the artistry of it.

Source: Nerdcore

I can see Lucas Arts suing them for this...

But other than that they are really good models...now we just need decent laser technology and hey presto!

*drools*
That looks freaking awesome, but it's the wrong color!
Austin, come over to the dark side!
dum dum dum dumterum dumterum dum dum dum dumterum dumterum dum dum dum dumterererum dum dum dumterererum
We have cake.

They're not going to sue him unless he tries to start selling them... and it looks like he's been doing this for a while.

That is just... amazing. Makes you wonder why we really need CGI any more! I suppose it's because we can't all be super-amazing lightsaber-smiths!

arc1991:

Lucas himself doesn't mind fan projects as long as they're not trying to make money from it.

This man also wins at life, for such a project.

I WANTZ, DAMNIT!

Holy crap, that's amazing.

I had a look at his other stuff, this guy's a genius.

I wish I could do that :(

That man has a serious lightsabre fetish. But my favourite is the two day ARC reactor, that's genius.

The Obi Wan sabre is amazing, mainly because it's such an awkward shape for the internals and he's machined/cut/drilled it so beautifuly.

Lovely.

Woodsey:

Lucas himself doesn't mind fan projects as long as they're not trying to make money from it.

I had to do a double take when I saw this. Really? Wow.

But that is one sweet lightsaber, and it's even better that 'cos Hamill loved it. Awesomesauce :D

He really needs to sell these...

That's even cooler than MY lightsaber.

Come on SWOR collectors edition!

arc1991:

But other than that they are really good models...now we just need decent laser technology and hey presto!

Well Lucas Arts is developing TOR :P

Anyway..this is insanely fucking awesome.

arc1991:

Very unlikely, George Lucas' official stance is that he is fine with unauthorised Star Wars material provided that,

i) It treats the source material with respect.
ii) It is not used or sold for profit.

Lucas Arts only starts rumbling when you get things like that 'Lightsabre' laser being sold, which is surprisingly rare.

DO WANT. That's some serious talent right there.

Damn, and he got it signed by the joker...thats sweet.

Impressive... Most impressive

....I want one now! Damn it i wish i hade this kind of talent so i could make my own. And challange my friends to lightsaber fights!

That is pretty awesome! Looks epic!

Hahaha. If you follow the link to his site. Check out the Desktop Theater link. Those are some pretty funny pictures!

Awesome

thenumberthirteen:
Come on SWOR collectors edition!

You know, if that thing was in the Collector's Edition, I'd probably pay the price, even though I'm not a real MMORPG person.

arc1991:

Once again:

LucasArts is a videogame developer and publisher. Nothing else.

It's a subsidiary of Lucasfilm Ltd, and they aren't going to sue the guy either.

coldalarm:

Woodsey:

I had to do a double take when I saw this. Really? Wow.

But that is one sweet lightsaber, and it's even better that 'cos Hamill loved it. Awesomesauce :D

Better still was his taking it to the EFX stand to show off :) Take that; you professionals prop makers!

I'd love to see his efforts at making other "more authentic than the real thing" Sci-Fi props though, seems he's done light sabres to death.

Wow, yet another reason why I love BioWare.

I'm thinking collector's edition? Please? Pretty please?

Oh, and my thousandth post. I should really get out more.

That is one amazing looking model. Bioware is awesome!

Damn... I have Luke Skywalker's Episode IV/V Lightsaber, the Master Replicas version, but this looks even fancier than that, especially considering the work that went into making it from scratch and as authentic as possible.

I FUCKING WANT THAT!

Seriously, that is beyond awesome!

Didn't lucas arts already make real life replicas? Cause I have Obi Wan's and it is pretty darn realistic.

fix-the-spade:

Lucas Arts only starts rumbling when you get things like that 'Lightsabre' laser being sold, which is surprisingly rare.

Even then, he dropped the suit when he found that the makers were going out of their way to make sure the customers know that they are in no way affiliated with Lucas Arts.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here