Super Meat Boy the Main Course of XBLA Game Feast

Super Meat Boy the Main Course of XBLA Game Feast

Microsoft is inviting everyone to chow down on the fall Game Feast, featuring Super Meat Boy as a healthy last bite.

The noticeably meat-less Xbox Live Arcade won't be as healthy at the end of Microsoft's fall Game Feast. Announced today was a lineup of four games that make up the XBLA event that starts on September 29.

Sadly, the Game Feast isn't like the Summer of Arcade that offered free Microsoft points for purchasing either 3 or 5 XBLA titles. The Game Feast is just four weeks of releases that end on a meaty note.

Starting off the Feast on September 29 is Hydrophobia, an action-adventure game that developer Dark Energy Digital is incorporating its "HydroEngine" technology into, which is said to produce water that realistically interacts with the environment for a different experience every time you play. It takes place in an over-populated near-future world on a city-sized ship of the wealthy elite. Engineer Kate Wilson must make her way through the flooding vessel while engaging in what Dark Energy calls "flow combat."

October 6 will see the release of Comic Jumper, Twisted Pixel Games' follow up to previous efforts The Maw and 'Splosion Man. The game's big-headed protagonist will have to fight through various comic genres such as manga and the silver age in an attempt to save misguided plot lines from financial failure.

Next up is Pinball FX 2 which will be released the following week on October 13. Pinball FX 2 will graphically upgrade all tables released for Pinball FX for free, and also include four new tables. Yeah, it's pinball, but as far as pinball goes you could do a lot worse, and FX 2 will be a free download so players can try out all the tables before deciding to make a purchase.

The main course will be the long-awaited Super Meat Boy, releasing on October 20. Super Meat Boy is not only a great way to end this promotion, but a meaty platformer with 300 levels, 15 playable indie characters, many game modes, 16 minutes of animated cutscenes, "epic" boss fights, and an exclusive XBLA chapter called "Teh internets." Its gameplay trailers look more than a little insane, showing the game's main character, a piece of meat, making his way through buzz saws and wall-jumping like there's no tomorrow. But if meat isn't your thing, maybe one of the other games can whet your whistle instead.

YES! Finally a release date for Super Meat Boy!

Can't wait, I LOVE meat! this game looks interesting.

I was really interested in Hydrophobia right up until I saw that it was a shooter and not a puzzle/adventure game...
Meat Boy looks intriging.

Judging from the quick look of comic jumper its a game i must own, i hope it gets released on the PS too, hydrophobia looks kinda stale, it didn't really get my juices flowing, but who knows maybe it will be a splash hit, but i doubt it, maybe im just a glass half empty kinda guy... something about being wet, hmmm.

anyway ill get super meat boy once it gets out on steam, nice that it finally has a release date.

i love and beat the flash game so i cant wait for this!

Tom Goldman:
The main course will be the long-awaited Super Meat Boy, releasing on October 20.

YAY! Two days after my birthday! Now I have a way to celebrate my BD alone (I live alone, though I am 14)!

The other games seem interesting, but will them be released on the PC?

I'll do my best to finish Splosion Man before playing Comic Jumper haha

but yeah, Super Meat Boy...I had fun with it online but the keyboard controls frustrated me (dunno if it's better or worse on the console tho)
I was so glad to see that it was coming to the other consoles and not just the Wii (before too)

Comic Jumper looks awesome. I will definetly buy it.

Super Meat Boy looks interesting, but also super hard.
I'll probably pick it up regardless.

I'll take it that Super Meat Boy will get its WiiWare and PC release in November, then.

Oh, and I'd imagine it'll take modders about a week to create the 360 exclusive levels if they include the level editor in the PC version like they were suggesting.

Microsoft has been disappointing me for the entire year with all their talk and Kinect propoganda that I am just tired of their bullshit.

Previous Summer Arcade was golden, this is not for me. And they are going to increase the damn price too!

Meat Boy was a big fail to me so I shant be getting Super Meat Boy but Hydrophobia looks good

Jezzascmezza:
Super Meat Boy looks interesting, but also super hard.
I'll probably pick it up regardless.

Same here - If anything it will give me a challenge for a lil while - Blow off a lil stam with

I'm really looking forward to Pinball FX 2 - the first game has the best 'feel' of any pinball simulation I've ever played. It's as close as playing on a real table as I can imagine. I'm really glad that all the tables from the first game can be played through the second.

OHHH NOOO.

No way am I falling for the "Start off easy, turn ridiculously hard" platformer genre again. I resisted Trials HD, I can resist this.

Hydrophobia and Comic Jumper are lookin' good.

So damn exited about Super Meat Boy. I hope they'll have some sort of multiplayer like they said at one point in the promo comic.

Yes! Hydrophbia releases near the approximate date my free 1200 points from summer of arcade are due! Perfect. Well, as long as I get them reasonably near the date...:G

The rest of the games sound great too. Is this replacing the winter Xtival event? Not that it matters much.

What?

I played Meat Boy on Kongregate back when it just came out, it's a good game, but paying 1200 Microsoft points for a free game?

I am on board like a smorgasnoIrefusetorhyme.

The Amazing Tea Alligator:
I was really interested in Hydrophobia right up until I saw that it was a shooter and not a puzzle/adventure game...

It is a puzzle/adventure. They give you a gun with sonic rounds and you have to use the environment to eliminate the enemy. You can't just shoot the enemy (well, you can but it only stuns them), you have to figure out how to kill them using other means. The majority of the time, you're not shooting, but puzzle/platforming your way around.

Honestly, I got it and I love it. The dorky support character with the horrible accent is annoying, and there are some frustrating bits, but so far I'm having a ball with it.

I really like the fact that it uses environmental things like Bioshock did, but, unlike Bioshock where it was easier to just shoot enemies, you actually have to use them in order to progress.

Don't believe the negative reviews, it's a great game for the money.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here