Gabe Newell: Three "Big Announcements" From Valve in Next Year

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Gabe Newell: Three "Big Announcements" From Valve in Next Year

Valve big boss Gabe Newell says the popular PC developer will be dropping not one but three bombshells over the next twelve months.

If the internet had its own group of natural laws, surely they would include John Gabriel's GIFT and Godwin's Law. I would like to suggest a third: Whenever there is news about something happening at Bellevue-based developer Valve, the probability of somebody complaining about Half-Life 2: Episode 3 sharply approaches 1.

Well, what happens when there are three things happening at Valve? Does that triple the odds, or just triple the whining?

Speaking with PC Gamer UK, Valve big man Gabe Newell discussed the furor that had surrounded the developer's E3 2010 Portal 2 "surprise" - which had ended up being the announcement that it would be on the PS3, too. Newell said that the fans' frenzied speculation wouldn't end there.

"I can guarantee you people are going to be surprised at stuff we do," he said. "That isn't going to stop any time soon. I'm just laughing because ... people will be shocked again."

Why will they be shocked? "We have three pretty big surprises in the next 12 months at least," said Newell.

Okay. Let's get the wondering out of the way and assume that one of those surprises is the news that Valve is actually working on Episode 3 instead of spending all day playing StarCraft II and TF2 and raking in money off of Steam - or, alternatively, that the game has been canceled entirely. What could the other two be? We already know about Portal 2, so that can't be it.

So what else is there? Might it be Left 4 Dead 3? Or Team Fortress 3? Source 2, a new Counter-Strike, or the DotA project?

Let the wild, rampant internet speculation begin!

(CVG, via VG247)

So they actually can count to 3?

Sacrificing yet another goat in hope of some Episode 3 news!

Well one is obviously the DotA project, with a character made to resemble Duke Nukem...

then the other two must be Half Life 2: Episode 3 will be released Fall 2011, then HL2:E3 is being delayed til the Holiday seasons, 2012.

Left 4 Dead 3, 4 and 5 anyone?

In all seriousness, if Episode 3 was going to happen it would surely have done so by now...surely...
So Left 4 Dead 3, and something to do with new Half-Life.

Also... might this have a little something to do with that new TellTale cross-over? It did feature the Heavy after all.

Please let it be Episode 3, but I guess I'd be content with anything they announce, except Left 4 Dead 3 or TF3. I'm pretty sure one of these will be DotA project, but I'm guessing that it will be announced this time next year.

Well, im hoping for perhaps Episode 3, Portal 2, and...perhaps L4D3?

Valve Announcements for the next 12 months:

1> Portal 2 delayed until 2012
2> Source 2 coming soon
3> Left 4 Dead 3 coming out late 2011

I've given up on HL2:EP3...

Remake if original Half Life done in episodes. Episodes 1 and 2 confirmed.

3 surprises.

My guess: Episode 3, or some news to do with it, Portal 2 and A new Source update or a new IP(maybe DoTA)

cursedseishi:
Well one is obviously the DotA project, with a character made to resemble Duke Nukem...

then the other two must be Half Life 2: Episode 3 will be released Fall 2011, then HL2:E3 is being delayed til the Holiday seasons, 2012.

You're close. The first surprise is that the other two surprises will be delayed until 2013.

The second surprise will be collectible hats for Left 4 Dead 7 (which will be out by then).

Then the third surprise? Will keep getting delayed for the rest of our lives.

Well mabey episode 3 has taken so long because it's abou 300 hours long.

I want ep 3, L4D3 and that fairy game.

its all gonna be stuff we already know or don't think should happen. Like a left 4 dead 3 or alien swarm news or more portal 2 news.

I wonder so very much what these announcements will be :-/

The big news is that HL2:EP3 has been canceled, for a different project. From which will be secretly revealed as HL3 on the Source 2 engine.

Also L4D3 is announced, and it will take place in Alaska/Hawaii.

+1 for Funk's Law.

I'm gonna say...it's Half Life 3 on a new Source engine, which is 2, and something Left 4 Dead related. (I actually originally typed that as Left 3 Dead. Hurr.)

In before Left 4 Dead: World Tour. I'm also gonna guess on Team Fortress 3 and a new IP. So :P

DotA game, some sort of Film be it either Portal or HL and then TF3/L4D3 or som sort of crossover between the 2. Its liek Hype the more you expect something the more you will be let down by it

I resign myself to the fact they will never announce/release Ep 3 and then IF they ever do it will be a nice surprise

Source 2.
L4D3
HL3

Monshroud:
Valve Announcements for the next 12 months:

1> Portal 2 delayed until 2012
2> Source 2 coming soon
3> Left 4 Dead 3 coming out late 2011

I've given up on HL2:EP3...

this. Although heres hopes to TF3!

A Half-Life movie perhaps? Valve has been experimenting with their movie making skills, and they did try to make one before. Although the project was canceled.

Very interested to see what it is, but I'm really hoping they just go straight to Half-Life 3 already. The episodic gaming thing has been quite a pathetic failure.

Okay, I'm guessing this.

New Source Engine.
DoTA Project.
Next Half Life.

I'm taking bets. However I'm under 18, so I'm taking bets in Peanuts.

Calumon: I think that they're just teasing us.

I'm hoping it's something Episode 3 related, something about a new Counter-Strike, and something (probably linked to the other two) about a new engine (TF2 still feels extremely fresh so it isn't a problem and we already know what's up next for L4D). On the other hand though it's probably more likely that it involves L4D or DoTA.

Although imagine if it was a brand new version of DoD that was totally reworked to modern standards. o.O

Or an entirely new IP altogether, which might be more likely knowing Valve, hmm...

I'm calling it: Half-Life 3.

Well:

15th April 2011 PS3 is still a piece of shit, we won't develop for it.
16th April 2011 Actually we'll develop for PS3, it's a cornerstone of our market.
2nd May 2011 It's too hard and not rewarding, fuck developing for it.

I know, right? Mind blown.

Half Life 2: Episode 4
It will be on Mac.
It will be on PS3.

Why 4? Well, maybe they don't want to try to appease the expectations for Ep 3, so they take a simple alternative.

It'll actually just be one announcement announcing that the other 2 announcements had been pushed forward an extra year.

If one of those surprises is Half-Life: Episode 3, it would be the end of an era!

At a guess, Portal 2 cross=platform, Alien Swarm Director and Polycount/hat-trading in TF2.

Episode 3? Have you seen Yahtzee's latest review? ;)

Left 4 Dead 2: Episode 1

Half-Life 2: Episode 2: Chapter 1

It's not going to be a new Source engine, the current one looks great (if you tell me Portal 2 doesn't look good graphically I'll come to your house and laugh in your face) and will continue to for a long time; they built it so that they wouldn't have to build another one.

OT: If it's not Episode 3 I am going to laugh myself to death, if not from the initial announcements but from people's reaction.

Brotherofwill:
Well:

15th April 2011 PS3 is still a piece of shit, we won't develop for it.
16th April 2011 Actually we'll develop for PS3, it's a cornerstone of our market.
2nd May 2011 It's too hard and not rewarding, fuck developing for it.

I know, right? Mind blown.

Uh, sarcasm or unaware of Portal 2/PS-Steam?

There's no way it's Team Fortress 3. TF2 is one of the most played FPS games right now, it's STILL selling, and they STILL have updates coming for it. Since it's not story based like Left 4 Dead, there's no real sense behind making a sequel instead of just updating the current game, especially since it can't possibly meet or surpass TF2's popularity anytime soon, just divide the player base.

As for Left 4 Dead 3, I doubt it's that either, after the reaction they got when L4D2 was first announced. They'll probably wait a while before they do that one.

My guess?

1. DotA. No question here.
2. No HL2Ep3, at least not yet. Normally this wouldn't be a surprise, but since they said they have a surprise coming, many people will expect this game, which means that the status quo will actually come as a surprise to some.
3. Telltale Texas Hold'Em 2, featuring The Heavy.

P.S. Thanks

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or