Iran Publishes Anti-Israel Videogames

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Iran Publishes Anti-Israel Videogames

Iran is producing videogames so "the young generation" can learn about the "crimes" of "the Zionist regime."

It seems that Iran has realized that videogames are useful, after all. At least, they are when those in power want to spread some propaganda around. According to the Times of India, the student arm of Basij (the country's paramilitary volunteer militia) has released two games that convey a strong anti-Israel message.

One of the games, Assault on Freedom Convoy is based on the Gaza Flotilla Raid that resulted in the deaths of nine Turkish activists. The game apparently focuses on the "crimes of the Zionist regime during the attack on the flotilla."

The other game the student wing of Basij unveiled is called Devil Den 2, though no real details have been revealed.

The Islamic Republic News Agency (Iran's official news agency) reported that Mohammad Reza Jokar - head of the Basij student arm - openly believes in the power of such games. "The young generation must find out about the Zionist regime," Jokar apparently told the IRNA, "and since videogames enjoy large audiences, they were unveiled ahead of Quds Day."

Quds Day is an annual event on the last Friday of Ramadan. Rallies and demonstrations are held to express "solidarity with the Palestinian people and opposing Zionism as well as Israel's control of Jerusalem ... participation in protests on Quds Day is particularly strong in non-Arab Iran, where Ayatollah Khomeini first introduced the event."

Source: Times of India via GamePolitics

Well America has been publishing anti-Russian games for years - I don't see the problem :P

Oh shit. And BANG goes the Supreme Court's decision.

Luckily, with Farsi being the difficult enough language to put on screen, I think it's going to go over as well as Bible Games did here.

I bet the game isnt even any good.

And what does Zionist even mean? They toss the word around all the time.

And I shall play these games.

So, the dude's name is one letter away from the person he's insane as.

Canadian Briton:
I bet the game isnt even any good.

Basically the jews.

-noun
a worldwide Jewish movement that resulted in the establishment and development of the state of Israel.

They really don't like the Jews. They like the Jews about as much as Hitler did.

Canadian Briton:

A Zionist is one who believes in Zionism, the national movement for the return of the Jewish people to their homeland and the resumption of Jewish sovereignty in the Land of Israel.

TL:DR; Get orf our land! :)

Canadian Briton:

http://tinyurl.com/yjlonrh

OT: These can't be very good at all. Since when did Iran even have a videogame industry? They're probably both obvious, suffocating propaganda and poorly designed/made games.

Devil Den 2? So.... Is there a Devil Den 1?

Who hear guesses the games are awful?

And you know what would be interesting? If Israel comes out with it's own games now. Might even kick off some kind of game race between the two countries.

vansau:
"The young generation must find out about the Zionist regime,"

I'm sure the young generation of Iran already hates Israel more than enough without propaganda games.

This kind of reminds me of when the Klu Klux Clan made anti-Mexican games.

Maybe Israel will answer this by making anti-Iranian cupcakes.

Should have used ARMA 2/OA to make that game (mod)!

*Shakes head* Oh Iran, why is it that everything you do and make only fuels more hate and rage? Well at least your citizens are trying to do better, as for your government... yeah lets not get into that.

One of the games, Assault on Freedom Convoy is based on the Gaza Flotilla Raid that resulted in the deaths of nine Turkish activists.

Something tells me that this is going to piss us Turks off.

This somehow reminds me of IAF: Israeli Air Force by Jane's Combat Simulations. I'm pretty sure that was a Pro-Israeli game. There are always two sides in war, though I'm curious to see how sensationalist these new games might be. It sounds like these games are being developed primarily as propaganda.

Erm... surprise?

Awwwww shit...
My tooth hurts :(

Oh, wait, that's off topic. Well, games as propaganda is something I'm against. Technically, I'm against all propaganda because I don't like it.

Shit, it still hurts :@

Sure, they can learn about the crimes of Israel, but I doubt they can learn about the crimes of Iran ;)

Armored Prayer:
*Shakes head* Oh Iran, why is it that everything you do and make only fuels more hate and rage? Well at least your citizens are trying to do better, as for your government... yeah lets not get into that.

One of the games, Assault on Freedom Convoy is based on the Gaza Flotilla Raid that resulted in the deaths of nine Turkish activists.

The actual raid that killed said Turks did indeed piss them off. This game, I would imagine, would be glorifying their sacrifice as well as painting Ze Jews as baby eating, bicycle stealing, land grabbing, peace hating infidel pig-dogs.

Just an educated guess.

Propaganda never makes for an enjoyable experience, the best this can hope for is narm and being dissected by history and sociology students decades down the line.

Ironic Pirate:
Who hear guesses the games are awful?

And you know what would be interesting? If Israel comes out with it's own games now. Might even kick off some kind of game race between the two countries.

I do! And I laughed at that :P

This is really just silly though. BOTH COUNTRIES need to just get over each other.

The Amazing Tea Alligator:
Well America has been publishing anti-Russian games for years - I don't see the problem :P

Heh, this is very true - People have been making someone else games for ages.

But...I can imagine the message in Irans game will be more...prevelent

Jaredin:

The Amazing Tea Alligator:

Heh, this is very true - People have been making someone else games for ages.

But...I can imagine the message in Irans game will be more...prevelent

Yeah - and more severe I would imagine.

Wow, it looks like Jokar's a...
*puts on sunglasses*
Joker

YYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

Sounds like an awesome game idea. I'll play it on day one if it's released in english, and not just jibberish.

Hmm... While I am against biased propaganda Israel have been acting like assholes for a decade or two so meh.

Lord_Panzer:

Armored Prayer:

The actual raid that killed said Turks did indeed piss them off. This game, I would imagine, would be glorifying their sacrifice as well as painting Ze Jews as baby eating, bicycle stealing, land grabbing, peace hating infidel pig-dogs.

Just an educated guess.

Which makes it sound like were supporting this. Yes we were very mad for what happened, but we didn't start making hate propaganda and labeling Jews evil. We simply protested non violently. (Well most of us)

Plus, there using our tragedy to influence others and to fuel their hate. Like I said, many Turks will be offended by this.

And I also state that this is an educated guess as well.

jwien001:

Canadian Briton:

http://tinyurl.com/yjlonrh

OT: These can't be very good at all. Since when did Iran even have a videogame industry? They're probably both obvious, suffocating propaganda and poorly designed/made games.

Im sorry I didnt google it. But thank you helpful people who told me what it was.

God two things like this in one day...

Two questions, will they be released on the 360 and will there be achievements? They are probably just Halo clones anyway.

I have never liked Israel and (flame shield activated) I personally think it was a mistake in the first place.
on the other hand, I like Iran even less...basically, I'm not really in a position to judge here because I'm biased against both of them.

Two countries are duking it out over who can commit the most crimes against humanity without alienating their allies.

P.S. I'm obviously talking about the governments and I do not hate all Jews and Shia muslims.

It turns out human stupidity really is infinite...

Lord_Panzer:

Armored Prayer:

Just an educated guess.

And the Turks will still be pissed off, rightfully so, because it makes them (or more precisely, the people who have been on those ships) a vehicle for the Iranian propaganda.

It's interesting that both this and the Austrian anti-mosque game are in the news the same day. I think this shows us that even politicians and regimes have by now grasped the power video games could have ad will now try using them for their own goals.

AgDr_ODST:
Anti-Israeli bastards, I hope they die in a fire

Funny how they share the same sentiments about Anti-Iranians. My point is, they are not even remotely trying to demonize Israelis, but the actions of the IDF, and that's probably to a certain extent.

And there's not information about what these games will be about, are you going to be one of the Turkish activist on the flotilla as the commandos rappel down the boat and mercilessly execute you and your buddies? Or is the player going to be some sort of spectator in the whole ordeal?

And for the second game, well, it's not the US doesn't have a certain "sniper" game to take down Iranian troops. Couldn't remember the name of it.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here