Pachter Predicts $100 Xbox Live "Platinum" Membership

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Pachter Predicts $100 Xbox Live "Platinum" Membership

Hot on the heels of recent Xbox Live price hikes, industry analyst Michael Pachter has predicted that Microsoft will soon roll out a $100 "premium" subscription plan.

Microsoft jacked up the prices for Xbox Live Gold memberships earlier this week, taking the annual subscription rate in the U.S. from $49.99 to $59.99. Ten bucks over the course of a year is hardly a deal-breaker (although you might think otherwise based on some reactions to the news) but there's probably more to come, according to Pachter, who believes that Microsoft is gearing up to roll out a new, higher-priced premium subscription tier.

"The extra $10 [from the price increase] translates to around $100 - $150 million per year in additional revenue for Microsoft. I think that they will reinvest at least this much in developing other new applications, and will roll out a premium service with $100 - $200 million worth of enhancements," he told IndustryGamers. "If they can get two million users to switch from the $60 plan to the $100 plan, they'll make an extra $80 million a year and can keep investing to try to grow that business."

What could Microsoft offer to attract members to the new plan? Pachter said a "Platinum plan" could include exclusive items for use in Microsoft games and possibly more advanced media center applications. "If members could get specialized Halo armor or weapons worth the extra $40, they might be more willing to sign up, and it doesn't really cost Microsoft anything to offer things like that," he said. He even suggested that Microsoft could make a deal with Apple to allow 360 owners to manage their iTunes accounts through their consoles.

$100 a year may seem steep, especially if you're in a twist over the jump to $60 for the Gold membership, but when you consider what else you could get with the eight bucks a month it works out to - a pack of smokes, a cheap lunch, three or four decent cups of coffee - it's hardly an outrageous sum. Pachter's prediction, which echoes statements he made late last year, isn't all that terribly outrageous either; as the number and variety of online services available to console users continues to grow, new, higher-end rates plans are inevitable. An "independent source," meanwhile, told Eurogamer that Microsoft is "likely to introduce a premium Xbox Live offering at a higher price point than existing subscription options."

I'm not sure what scares me more. The fact that he thinks Microsoft would do this, or the fact that there are people who would actually pay this.

Here we go again, the troll spits his bullshit and the world buys it.

"Ten bucks over the course of a year is hardly a deal-breaker (although you might think otherwise based on some reactions to the news)"

Thats a good joke... specially since 50$ a year ain't worth it when all I want is to play online, and none of the other shit they force onto me that I never use... and the same goes with the 60$ plan as well...

And Pachter needs to shut his trap before he gives Microsoft any ideas.

And yes, while it works out to 8 a month, it isn't. Its a 100$ sum paid all at once, just like the 60$ a year isn't actually 5$ a month. If it was, people wouldn't care as much then.

Oh, thank god for the PS3's free online. Sure it's not quite as good as XBL but I'd rather go cheap as a student.

cursedseishi:
"Ten bucks over the course of a year is hardly a deal-breaker (although you might think otherwise based on some reactions to the news)"

Thats a good joke... specially since 50$ a year ain't worth it when all I want is to play online, and none of the other shit they force onto me that I never use... and the same goes with the 60$ plan as well...

And yes, while it works out to 8 a month, it isn't. Its a 100$ sum paid all at once, just like the 60$ a year isn't actually 5$ a month. If it was, people wouldn't care as much then.

It can be, the changed it a while back so you can pay monthly or quarterly or what have you.

Not a good move unless you give a HUGE advantage for this price update.

Meh, I've kept a free silver membership since I bought my 360 a few years ago and I get along just fine; I've never seen any justifiable reason for me to upgrade to gold (well except that one time they released the arkham asylum demo to only gold members and they had a super cheap deal for 3 months time)

If Microsoft wants to up their prices or add a 3rd tier of benefits I say go for it. I'd sign up for it if it meant I never had to buy Microsoft points again.

As a reluctant Xbox Live Gold subscriber, I can confirm that I would NOT be willing to pay the UK equivalent of $40 extra a year for just a few pieces of armour and weapons on Halo and some randon media enhancement which I never use in the first place!

What annoys me is that, as much as we push the argument "If we just stop buying it, they'll stop making it", we all know that somewhere, out there, someone's gonna actually pay for this.

Cant really see what they can offer to really want to make people go Platinum...would seem a lil, much

oh god, if they do that deal with itunes and apple..it'll for sure jump to 100 dollars, steve jobs will be all over that one in a heartbeat.

whenever i get bored with halo reach is probably when ill be done with xbox live, its getting quite ridiculous and im sick of paying for nearly nothing outside of a user friendly interface

TheRightToArmBears:
Oh, thank god for the PS3's free online. Sure it's not quite as good as XBL but I'd rather go cheap as a student.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but Sony is planning on making their online service cost money. Not sure how much or when yet but they will. (-_-)

OT: Please don't give them any ideas. They might make it so that online play is only on platinum It is bad enough as it is already mister Patcher.

I hope nobody goes to this platinum. It will give Microsoft a swift kick in the balls that is entirely nessescary.

Edit: Okay, okay I get it already. I didn't know of PSN+ or whatever as I don't have a PS3 and I heard a rumor of it on Gamespot on one of their headlines about 4 weeks ago and I never looked into it recently. Thank you for that information, but please stop quoting me on this and telling me about PSN+. Seven people have already done so.

TONIGHT, ON PACHTER WATCH

We should just give him his own column here, the rate this guy shoots out predictions.

My reaction: meh. So long as this suggested price jump is optional, I really don't care. I'm really surprised they don't already have a "platinum" to go along with silver and gold.

Pachter has never gotten any prediction right, ever.

I think they need to get off the idea of "Gold" and "Platinum" and whatever other metal type of membership they want to come up with. In my opinion they should scale the price according to the service you get. If you simply want online play, pay this much. For every extra feature you want to add, pay a little more.

Either that or make a basic subscription metal (copper) simply give access to online play, and nothing else. That way most of us, who only use the online play, could pay for the service we use and nothing more.

Even in the very stupid possibility that they do this, there would have to be a HUMONGOUS benefit for this whole Platinum thing.

Xbox had a diamond membership that they dropped a while ago, I had the card somewhere all it really did was get you discounts at stores you dont go to.

Xbox Live has already lost my interest in terms of paying to use it, I'm not going to start paying more money for what would undoubtedly be more pointless things. Then again, Microsoft will probably just make online play only available to Platinum members so people are forced to pay.

He's basically saying "Hi, I hate Microsoft and think they're out to get us. I have a special tinfoil hat for blocking their signals even!" Sorry, but I actually trust Microsoft. Yeah, I know, I'm a fool, traitor, should be killed and more. I've heard worse (about other things of course) at school.

I guess if you think about it 8x12=$96 a year, so it'd only be a difference of $4.

Why is everything that guy says news-worthy? I mean even if it may come true, it's just a frigging prediction right now. And if you wonder why I don't like that guy, watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Y8SaUIvArE

Pratcher is full of shit and needs to shut the fuck up.

*bangs head against keyboard*
Human beings aren't this stupid, are they?

Pachter really likes this idea of an Xbox Live Platinum membership doesn't he? But I guess he was right about the price increasing (it remains to be seen if it's going to go up even more as he said a year ago).

cursedseishi:

I consider the valuable part of Xbox Live to be online play only and I think it's well worth $60 a year. I think your perception of its lesser worth is purely psychological so you may be more able to make a good purchasing decision if you imposed a concrete value metric. For entertainment products I like to say that an hour of use is worth one dollar (if you want to be a little more frugal you could say that a minute is worth one cent).

The dollar sign goes before the number by the way (ie $50).

Pactcher... SHUT THE F*** UP! DON'T GIVE THEM ANY IDEAS!

First this guy says it will be a good idea for Activision and others to charge a subscription fee for their multiplayer games, and now this?

Do all these "important" people believe everyone has thousands of dollars to spend on a moments notice?

cursedseishi:
Pachter needs to shut his trap before he gives Microsoft any ideas.

Agreed. Someone should shut it for him. Extra weapons and armor? Bullshit. There is no way in hell I'd pay an extra $40 a year unless I could get all DLC for free, all Xbox Live Arcade games for free, a free subscription to Netflix, and anything else they charge money for on the service. If that's not the case then fuck that shit.

GoGo_Boy:
Why is everything that guy says news-worthy? I mean even if it may come true, it's just a frigging prediction right now. And if you wonder why I don't like that guy, watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Y8SaUIvArE

That was awesome! "It's as high as a game like that will get. We here at Gametrailers put a heavy emphasis on originality." "And game of the year is..Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2!". LOL

SilverKyo:

cursedseishi:

It can be, the changed it a while back so you can pay monthly or quarterly or what have you.

Yeah, but subscriptions are already 8$ for one month, and 20$ for 3, which is for what is for the current 50$ a year plan. So its either pay 50$ a year, 80$ for 4 3month plans, or 96$ for 12 1month plans.
With the increase it'll be 10$ a month, 25$ for 3 months, or 60$ for a year... so 120$ for 12 months, 100 for the 4 3month plans, or 60$ for what is essentially for free on the PS3 (besides party/cross game chat, which is NOT worth anything more than 10$ at most).

Hell, the only way this crap is a deal is if you pay for the family plan, but then again, you have to hope your entire family is into playing online. Hell, just give Silver members the online gameplay, no one I know uses Netflix on the 360, or the joke service Last.fm, or ESPN, or facebook and twitter (yaaaaaaay.......)
They can get it free dozens of other places.

Sniper Team 4:
I'm not sure what scares me more. The fact that he thinks Microsoft would do this, or the fact that there are people who would actually pay this.

If the 'bonuses' are there, and something that interest me, then I'd be all over it.
$100 a year? $8 a month? That's cheaper then any MMO I know about.
Even cheaper if I time it to get the subscription for Christmas or my birthday something, because then I'm paying zero dollars, and my family is paying the $100.

But, as I said, the bonuses would have to be worth it. As in: Gimme a web browser. A good one.
Right now I have zero problem paying the $50 or $60 for XBL Gold.
I payed $15 a month for WoW for about a year, so $5 or $6 isn't outrageous to me.

We get extra weapons and armor for money, it's called DLC for games and it's actually optional instead of forcing you to pay for something you might buy.

In an ideal world we'd have a teir specially for online playing that didn't have any of the fancy bells and whistles they harp on about that was either very cheap or free altogether. (which it SHOULD be seeing as game servers are being taken down without penalty and the entire mode works via P2P)

Of course MS knows if they do this they'd lose 95% of their Gold status clients overnight because all we want to do is just play the damn games online which has been a free capability of PCs for DECADES and on consoles since the Dreamcast back in the 90s.

While I'm not a fan of the price hikes, they'd have to add some significant value to the service to justify it.

It's a classic price vs. value argument. If we'd have to pay more to get what we already have, then that's crap. Yet, if they add a lot more function, value, media, services (and not just access) then I'd consider it.

Outlaw Torn:
Xbox Live has already lost my interest in terms of paying to use it, I'm not going to start paying more money for what would undoubtedly be more pointless things. Then again, Microsoft will probably just make online play only available to Platinum members so people are forced to pay.

I'm worried about that as well. The way they are like, "Hey kid! Join Xbox Live for free!!!! Get a silver account today!!!" Then the kid is like, "Oh hell yeah! Online domination here I come!" Then once the kid has the silver account he realizes that his "Xbox Live Experience" is nothing more than what he had by not even having the console connected to the internet. Then he gets money from his parents to purchase an Xbox Live gold account, then ends up sending naked pictures to a guy in Florida for free Microsoft points. Fuck Platinum.

This guy is really professional troll isn't he?

I am glad I am not affected yet but when I think the price for me isn't worth it anymore I will jump ship to Sony's either new Playstation4 or PS3.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here