Pachter Predicts $100 Xbox Live "Platinum" Membership

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

I've watched a couple of Pachter's videos, you'd have a better chance teaching Spanish to a rock than him

Reminds me of Colbert Platinum.

Oh also: *insert PC Gamer "I don't have to pay for online multiplayer and never will, and get to mod my games and get free DLC" rant here*

Eukaryote:
Reminds me of Colbert Platinum.

Oh also: *insert PC Gamer "I don't have to pay for online multiplayer and never will, and get to mod my games and get free DLC" rant here*

THat's not rant, it's the fun truth

Sooooooooooo I'll make you a deal Microsoft. Make platinum come with free DLC for all games and I'll think about paying you in the $100-150 range.

If they combined certain aspects, like the Netflix thing (so I wouldn't have to pay for a separate Netflix account), with the Platinum deal I'd pay for it.

New weapons and armor? No.

if they do this they better keep gold $50 for twelve months

I can't think of another way of killing an online service faster.

This won't happen. If it does I will be getting many more friends on the PSN network.

Am I the only one who thinks that Microsoft is really going in the wrong direction with this?

If anything they should be lowering the subscription fees to compete with the free PSN service. Or maybe implementing a plan along the lines of Sony's subscription based Plasystation plus and their free basic online service. Frankly I'm not going to pay for online that I rarely use other than to download demos and patches, and to check leaderboards and the like.

Or you could just play PC games and, you know, not have to bother with this stupid stuff...

then 150$, than 200$ and on and on until microsoft finishes construction of their space station made of money

TheRightToArmBears:
Oh, thank god for the PS3's free online. Sure it's not quite as good as XBL but I'd rather go cheap as a student.

That, I think, may end up being the big selling point sooner rather than later for Sony. If you can convince folks they could, at this stage, at LEAST buy one extra game a year and still have online play, it could create some converts. They'd do well to enhance the experience a bit, though... anytime-active voice chat would go a long way towards selling the online element more for the PS3. But on topic, if they actually go to the $100 mode... yeah, I see some folks being violently turned off.

well i don't mind and would only contemplate it if the services it provides are useful, though on the other hand; if they cannibalise features from gold and make them platinum only (like last.fm or all the videos they put up) i would sell my xbox in frustration

I can see Microsoft considering something like this, but there is a lot going on that would discourage it. A Platinum plan can misfire and alienate those who can't afford it, driving customers away from LIVE. Microsoft would lose more than $80 million a year picking up the pieces. With a lot riding on Kinect being a success, taking a chance with a new service for LIVE right now would be stupid.
I would think that Pachter has a considerable stake in Microsoft and by spouting this out he is hoping something to occur that would drive stock up. Otherwise this guy is smoking something seriously bad and needs to get away from it pronto.

JoJoDeathunter:
As a reluctant Xbox Live Gold subscriber, I can confirm that I would NOT be willing to pay the UK equivalent of $40 extra a year for just a few pieces of armour and weapons on Halo and some randon media enhancement which I never use in the first place!

Too right. I don't know what else they could really offer that could feel like a must have. Even though I don't use itunes, I don't know what benefit being able to access it through XBL would be. If I've got access to XBL, I'll be at home, meaning my computer is there, which I'd be able to access on my computer. The same really applies to the Facebook access, I feel.

As for extra in game items - don't get me started! It annoys when I see a game released with a few bonus weapons/costumes and the like, and they have the nerve to call the thing a Limited Edition! The sad thing is, some people out there do view these things like they're the second coming.

Can we stop reporting on everything he says?

He's either wrong, or he points out the bloody obvious. EVERY TIME.

Andy Chalk:
Pachter Predicts $100 Xbox Live "Platinum" Membership

Hot on the heels of recent Xbox Live price hikes, industry analyst Michael Pachter has predicted that Microsoft will soon roll out a $100 "premium" subscription plan.

Microsoft jacked up the prices for Xbox Live Gold memberships earlier this week, taking the annual subscription rate in the U.S. from $49.99 to $59.99. Ten bucks over the course of a year is hardly a deal-breaker (although you might think otherwise based on some reactions to the news) but there's probably more to come, according to Pachter, who believes that Microsoft is gearing up to roll out a new, higher-priced premium subscription tier.

"The extra $10 [from the price increase] translates to around $100 - $150 million per year in additional revenue for Microsoft. I think that they will reinvest at least this much in developing other new applications, and will roll out a premium service with $100 - $200 million worth of enhancements," he told IndustryGamers. "If they can get two million users to switch from the $60 plan to the $100 plan, they'll make an extra $80 million a year and can keep investing to try to grow that business."

What could Microsoft offer to attract members to the new plan? Pachter said a "Platinum plan" could include exclusive items for use in Microsoft games and possibly more advanced media center applications. "If members could get specialized Halo armor or weapons worth the extra $40, they might be more willing to sign up, and it doesn't really cost Microsoft anything to offer things like that," he said. He even suggested that Microsoft could make a deal with Apple to allow 360 owners to manage their iTunes accounts through their consoles.

$100 a year may seem steep, especially if you're in a twist over the jump to $60 for the Gold membership, but when you consider what else you could get with the eight bucks a month it works out to - a pack of smokes, a cheap lunch, three or four decent cups of coffee - it's hardly an outrageous sum. Pachter's prediction, which echoes statements he made late last year, isn't all that terribly outrageous either; as the number and variety of online services available to console users continues to grow, new, higher-end rates plans are inevitable. An "independent source," meanwhile, told Eurogamer that Microsoft is "likely to introduce a premium Xbox Live offering at a higher price point than existing subscription options."

wait so then you pay 50 $ to play online 10 $ to use twitter and facebook
Aditional fees or other features
and then another 50 $ for even more stuff we don't want?

For gods sake that is a big bloody deal to much

Wow, I hope this doesn't happen. Because I know I can certainly afford it, but I really don't want to feel like I HAVE to pay it.

They would have to offer some really awesome stuff for me to pay $100 a month >.>

its funny, people like to say that pc gaming is expensive but really its much cheaper then gaming on the 360, a comp will cost more then a 360 but at least you dont have to pay anything other then isp fees to play things online

And the masses complain endlessly.

And yet they still play.

If you really think this is bullshit, try doing something useful: unplug your Xbox and sell it. There, now Microsoft isn't getting ANY of your money. Isn't it wonderful?

Eukaryote:

This is why we scoff at the idea that PC gaming is expensive. Over the lifetime of the machine, it pays itself back tenfold.

I mean, fair enough, consoles have their exclusives and things, but we get the entire back catalogue, mods, free online...

IMHO everyone should have a console and a PC. Save all the arguments. (Probably a PS3 though, as Micro$oft just seem to sting you for daring to buy their stuff.)

Maybe with the platinum plan, you'll get full xbox live membership and be enrolled in the beta for xbox love. Xbox Love will be a service where Microsoft will send a hooker to your house every other month. I'd pay $100 for that easy. I mean it would have to be something like that for people to pay that kind of money, right?

cursedseishi:

Kalezian:

cursedseishi:
"Ten bucks over the course of a year is hardly a deal-breaker (although you might think otherwise based on some reactions to the news)"

Thats a good joke... specially since 50$ a year ain't worth it when all I want is to play online, and none of the other shit they force onto me that I never use... and the same goes with the 60$ plan as well...

And Pachter needs to shut his trap before he gives Microsoft any ideas.

And yes, while it works out to 8 a month, it isn't. Its a 100$ sum paid all at once, just like the 60$ a year isn't actually 5$ a month. If it was, people wouldn't care as much then.

so basicly you are paying a little over the price for a new game for an entire years worth of online gaming.

let me point this out even further, Anarchy Online, the 9 year old MMO, costs roughly $194.00 USd for an entire year of play time.

If people are getting worked up on a price hike THIS insignificant, they should remember the golden rule of capitalism: there is an idiot born every minute if something does not suit your tastes, needs, or expectations, there is someone else that will.

EXCEPT! Anarchy Online is free to play as you like, and if you like it enough, you can start paying to have access to the expansions, and considering the excess strain of having bits of data controlling large globs of data as they fight random bits of data with other globs of data, or against other globs of data, sometimes in even larger globs of data, the price fits. And the fact they are updating the games graphics engine for free, is a nice thing as well.

At most, XBox's servers just need to support 16 players in a copy of a map. Guild Wars does the exact thing for free, along with giving them persistent areas to hang out in for free. And MAG handles large scale battles free as well.

So pretty much you're saying:

"Because Microsoft want to make a profit and other company's don't make as much as a profit i think they're being stupid".

I mean, i'm all for it being cheaper, but its a business. They have to make money somehow. Considering they've been lagging behind lately i don't see all the fuss. Some people like live, deal with it.

This genuinely excites me, and I hope Pachter's right. This could be an awesome step forward for Live.

*grabs a blunt object and starts beating Pachter in the face*

SHUT! THE! FUCK! UP! YOU! WORTHLESS! PIECE! OF! CRAP!

dogstile:

"Because Microsoft want to make a profit and other company's don't make as much as a profit i think they're being stupid".

I mean, i'm all for it being cheaper, but its a business. They have to make money somehow. Considering they've been lagging behind lately i don't see all the fuss. Some people like live, deal with it.

Nope, try again.

I HIGHLY doubt they aren't making a profit, especially with all the useless bull they shove in our faces, and all the pointless "exclusive" DLC on it. Look through the examples again. Guild Wars makes more than enough of a profit with just box sales and minor fashion items. Anarchy Online is making enough of a profit to warrant a free graphical update. And the MAG devs/Sony certainly aren't having any issues with their massive (in comparison) scale FPS, despite the obviously increased needs on the server.

And where exactly did I say I hate live? I disagree with the price hike, since I already don't feel like its worth the 50$ to what basically amounts to just online play for me. Microsoft offers nothing that Sony provides besides cross-game chat, which isn't of much importance since I can contact, and talk to, my friends in more ways than just waiting for them to hop onto their 360, and certainly isn't worth paying anything more than $5-10

Some people don't like Live, and I'm not telling anyone to not like it, so deal with that.

Besides, if they aren't making a profit, then drop Facebook, Twitter, and Last.fm, and remove the Gold requirement from Netflix for starters.

They are such

Money Grabbers.

Srsly, they're greed astounds me!

they jacked up the price fo services I never use in any form why would I pay even more for more services I dont use ... good thing I dont actually even bother with a gold account.

As ive said before, I would rather have a new game a year then have to pay to make my games complete.

cursedseishi:

dogstile:

And where exactly did I say I hate live?

... Yeah, screw arguing with you. READ.

$100 a year? Thats what we Danes already pay for having just gold...

It's official. This man is batshit-buttfucking insane.

dogstile:

cursedseishi:

dogstile:

Mhm, thats what I do and did, but perhaps you need a refresher course.
Dislike =/= hate, and nowhere did I say I hate xbox live. I hate the crap they force into it, making it a bloated mess of a service, but online portion itself is alright, if not a tad expensive due to said bloating.

Hell, here's an easy example anyone could understand. Your mom is a hot, though rather high-maintenance chick, which is Xbox live before all the crap. Now imagine her stuffing her gullet full of Twinkies, Ho-hos, cupcakes, and pie, which is netflix, twitter, facebook, last fm and such. Now she's a fat, bloated mess, and Stacy sorry, but your mom doesn't have it going on no more.

cursedseishi:

dogstile:

cursedseishi:

dogstile:

Mhm, thats what I do and did, but perhaps you need a refresher course.
Dislike =/= hate

I already said i wasn't arguing, and i never said you disliked it either, i suggested that you didn't have positive feelings towards it, not that you had negative. *headdesk* seriously.

Sniper Team 4:
I'm not sure what scares me more. The fact that he thinks Microsoft would do this, or the fact that there are people who would actually pay this.

That's pretty much how I felt when the Avatar market was opened. All those people that bout a lightsaber (that doesn't even glow) for $5 are pretty good proof of how cautious and sensible people are willing to be with their cash.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here