Gearbox-Made Duke Nukem Forever Confirmed at PAX

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Gearbox-Made Duke Nukem Forever Confirmed at PAX

After more than a decade of waiting, rumors and false starts, the most famous vaporware in gaming history is finally coming out.

Yesterday's rumor that Duke Nukem Forever - possibly the most delayed game of all time - was actually finished has been confirmed today at PAX Prime in Seattle. Gearbox Software, maker of Borderlands, apparently took over the development in 2009 following the demise of 3D Realms, and is said to be in the process of polishing the game.

Gearbox CEO Randy Pitchford said that 3D Realms had actually created a lot of content for the game - although obviously, it never finished it - and that Gearbox was able to bring it all together and make it "the game it was meant to be." Duke Nukem Forever's story will be familiar to those who have played previous Duke Nukem games, as Duke is forced to fight off alien invaders in order to save the Earth.

The game is expected to ship in 2011, although Pitchford is reluctant to be more specific. "This is a game where we cannot make a promise we cannot fulfill," he said. "We need to get past the shock and awe and then we can go to all the retailers and first parties and work out a launch plan." Gearbox is just a touch more consistent about releasing games than 3D Realms, so unless the game is actually cursed or something equally silly, Duke Nukem Forever will actually be hitting shelves some time on the near future.

Source: Wall Street Journal via Kotaku

In all honesty, do you really think it's going to be a smash hit at this point? The game's been on and off and we know NOTHNG about the game (beside the fact that its finally finished). I don't want to be Debbie Downer, but my hopes for the quality of the game are lacking. Have we seen a REAL screenshot of the game?

*sigh*

It's exciting that it is finally finished, but until I see a real screen shot, this game doesn't exist.

Yahtzee was right: any other developer could actually make this happen in less time than 3D Realms. The question now is if they just farted it out or actual work has gone into it.
We just need some actual screenshots, demos, videos or something to show that work has been done. Announcing it won't be enough, they need to prove it.

Sadly, I don't think this game will work as well now that the industry has matured (a bit). Duke Nukem is still a bit juvenile.

Well that sounds...

...Wait a minute. Randy Pitchford... Where have I...? Oh God no!

Something tells me that he was a bit persuasive with development team in order to get them to release on time.

DaxStrife:
Yahtzee was right: any other developer could actually make this happen in less time than 3D Realms. The question now is if they just farted it out or actual work has gone into it.
We just need some actual screenshots, demos, videos or something to show that work has been done. Announcing it won't be enough, they need to prove it.

There's loads of videos and pics up all over the net now (gameplay vidshere, here and here, also some info here)

To be honest it just looks bland . . . bland, bland, bland, bland, bland.
Yes it's Duke Nuken, and yes he's awesome but this is 2010! Generic FPSs with no ground breaking mechanics are way too common now.

Omnific One:
Sadly, I don't think this game will work as well now that the industry has matured (a bit). Duke Nukem is still a bit juvenile.

Plenty of games, like Borderlands, are just as juvenile.

If this actually does comes out, then is Half-Life 2 Episode 3 going to be the next Duke Nukem Forever?

We need to accept that it's not going to happen, the second we do we'll all be happier.
Says the guy who still hoping for a Dark cloud 3/dark chronicle 2...

Logan Westbrook:
Duke Nukem Forever - possible the most delayed game of all time-

Tell me Mr. Westbrook, how many times have you watched the Comparethemeerkat.com adverts?

OT: I'm not going to say I'm particularly interested anymore, they've been fucking around far too much for the past 13 years for me to care all that much now, and I think some others agree.

Do you know what would be hilarious?
If this was like Rogue Warrior bad.

Omnific One:

At least its funny juvenile and not trying to be serious, whereas other games try to be serious but end up being juvenile.

Either way, stopped caring about this game 6 years ago. Glad its done, but I've just stopped caring.

The Ambrosian:
Do you know what would be hilarious?
If this was like Rogue Warrior bad.

Oh man that would be glorious.

Assassin Xaero:
If this actually does comes out, then is Half-Life 2 Episode 3 going to be the next Duke Nukem Forever?

It's only been 3 years since Episode 2, and it's not like Valve have shown or talked about anything.

If it's not out in 10 years and we've seen it pass through 5 iterations then fair enough, it can be the new DNF. But DNF isn't out yet...

Ahahaha...always knew it would come out.

Wait, it's actually happening?

Yup, I just saw Spock with a goatee and Superman talking nonsense. I've entered Bizarro world.

WHY WON'T YOU DIE ALREADY! Seriously, people have been bitching and moaning about this game for far too long now. I really hope it turns out really bland and just flat out naff. Because as far as im concerned, the duke nukem series died 10 years when it was still relevant to the time. I can see it coming, it gets released and the whole gaming industry gives it a resounding "meh".
^.^

At least all the hilarious puns about DNF = Did Not Finish can stop.

The sentence you see before you is a result of what was read: I shat brix

Wow, just wow.. Pigs really can fly..

Although i think it might just be another generic shooter like any other..
But after all this, i still think this will be a buy..

I would so LOL!! if they delay the game now for whatever reason

so unless the game is actually cursed

aaah...I can see it now
people dying, getting kidnaped by aliens and hooker levels going of the chart...

Thanks Duke Nukem!!

HG131:

Omnific One:

Plenty of games, like Borderlands, are just as juvenile.

Sure, but I'm worried that this is going to try to do the whole "I'm a mature game now" and still look juvenile. Juvenile games are good only if they don't make pretensions of being mature.

"It's time to kick ass and chew bubble gum!"

One of my favorite games in better quality? Yes please. Damn it I bet the Sexual Content is going to cause an up-roar.

VanityGirl:
In all honesty, do you really think it's going to be a smash hit at this point? The game's been on and off and we know NOTHNG about the game (beside the fact that its finally finished). I don't want to be Debbie Downer, but my hopes for the quality of the game are lacking. Have we seen a REAL screenshot of the game?

*sigh*

It's exciting that it is finally finished, but until I see a real screen shot, this game doesn't exist.

Well they've had "screenshots" in the past, so I would rather have a live demo to gander at.

I can see this going two ways.

Gearbox releases in 2011 like they hope, and it goes down as a massive disappointment and we all try to forget about it. And not many will blame Gearbox because they could only really play with the hand they were dealt.

Or
Gearbox studios will burn to the ground, along with any trace of the Duke. And hopefully we can put this horse down for good.

I dont see as it possibly making expectations at this point, but thats not to say i don't want to see Gear try.

As I said a few hours ago in the other thread on The Escapist. I don't really see why people would be excited about the game, most of the press coverage it has had has been about how it was never going to come out. That doesn't mean it will be even half decent and it means that Gearbox won't be working on a new Borderlands game because they are tied up making this dinosaur. Alert Jeff Goldblum, he'll be needed to theorise why anyone still cares.

Shit...the only way this can continue to not come out is for 2012 to actually happen.

All I am hoping for is that those who kept the reservation ticket for this game will be granted with a free copy (or at least with some discount).

I am not a Duke Nukem fan, but I am suddenly looking forward to this game. Let's here hope it will happen *fingers crossed*

Aww... I was planing on making a fan-made version of the game myself. Then GEAR MOTHERFUCKING BOX came and made the game themselves. I guess you snooze you lose.

aw, i have been using "when duke-nukem forever comes out" instead of "when pigs fly"
Great, now i have to give someone 500$

I especially like how this happened right after ZP's Duke Nukem Forever video was picked as the Viewer's Choice.

Of course, I expect Yahtzee to firmly hold to his assertion that he and every other game reviewer on Earth are going to "saw [this game's] bollocks off" if it isn't fucking amazing.

whaleswiththumbs:

VanityGirl:

*sigh*

Well they've had "screenshots" in the past, so I would rather have a live demo to gander at.

I can see this going two ways.

Gearbox releases in 2011 like they hope, and it goes down as a massive disappointment and we all try to forget about it. And not many will blame Gearbox because they could only really play with the hand they were dealt.

Or
Gearbox studios will burn to the ground, along with any trace of the Duke. And hopefully we can put this horse down for good.

I dont see as it possibly making expectations at this point, but thats not to say i don't want to see Gear try.

You forgot the option 'Gearbox releases it on time and it's awesome'.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

I'm sorry, carry on.

Outlaw Torn:
As I said a few hours ago in the other thread on The Escapist. I don't really see why people would be excited about the game, most of the press coverage it has had has been about how it was never going to come out. That doesn't mean it will be even half decent and it means that Gearbox won't be working on a new Borderlands game because they are tied up making this dinosaur. Alert Jeff Goldblum, he'll be needed to theorise why anyone still cares.

It doesn't matter how the game will turn out. It doesn't matter if it will be good or bad game. What is important is that Duke Nukem Forever has became, i dread the word, sort of meme, a running gag over the course of those 13 years. It's a symbol of all games that never got actually released and by now probably some way to measure infinity in terms of deadlines.

IT's not a game you buy to play it, god forbid, it will probably be terrible. It's a game you buy to have, never unfoil, just so you can say you have DNF in your collection. It became a classic long before it got released mostly because of the fact it hasn't been released yet.

VanityGirl:
In all honesty, do you really think it's going to be a smash hit at this point?

I'm guessing it will end up being a hit simply because even if its crap, people will buy it just to see what all the delay was for.

Call me a cynic, or a skeptic, but I will believe all of this when I see the box in a store.
we have been waiting for DNF for over a decade.

Now I'm all exited for the Duke to be coming back and all, but is it just me or did he gain a little weight?

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here