Austria Bans Anti-Mosque Game

Austria Bans Anti-Mosque Game

The government of Austria has banned Bye Bye Mosque, the controversial anti-Islamic Flash game in which players are charged with keeping mosques and minarets out of the country.

With elections in the Austrian state of Styria set to take place later this month, the far-right Freedom Party launched a cheesy little Flash game called Moschee Baba, aka Bye Bye Mosque, exhorting players to fight back against the tide of mosques and minarets sweeping across the country. Players receive a message at the game's conclusion warning that "Styria is full of minarets and mosques" and urging them to vote for the Freedom Party.

Despite its low quality and the fact that it is based on an entirely false premise - Anas Schakfeh, the head of the Islamic Community in Austria, said there are only four mosques with visible minarets in the entire country - the all-too-predictable outrage came fast and furious. "This is religious hatred and xenophobia beyond comparison," Schakfeh said, while U.N. General Secretary Ban Ki-Moon, on a visit to Austrian President Heinz Fischer over the weekend, described it as "Islamophobic" and "totally unacceptable."

Fischer himself said the game was "absolute nonsense" and announced on September 5 that it had been banned. Visitors to the site now receive a message saying, "Due to the political influence of our enemies this game was banned by the Austrian Justice. Now you decide on September 26."

Following the ban, an Austrian neo-Nazi group reproduced the game on its own site, which led to a copyright infringement complaint from the man who originally sold the game to the Freedom Party. The group's U.S.-based service provider pulled the site offline until yesterday, when it reappeared with a YouTube gameplay video in place of the game. A Turkish group calling itself Black Peace, meanwhile, attacked the Freedom Party's service provider, uploading images of mosques to about 50 other sites it hosts.

Source: Gamasutra

People fighting over the right to use a game called "Bye Bye Mosque"... wtf.

Not sure how I feel about the banning of the game, especially since it was online. While the game was absolute garbage and I want whoever made it to be shot into the sun, I don't particularly like any government messing with stuff on the internet.

My response is a loud resounding 'meh'...

I don't consider myself particularly racist but really there is probably much worse on the internet if you spend 5 more minutes on google than you should.

Yes it's 'controversial' but the more you kick up about it the funnier trolls will find it and the more hate it'll produce...

Best is to just leave it alone and stop acting like it's the end of the world, because that way it'll stop being so funny.

As stupid as the game sounds, I'm still very annoyed that it was banned.

FinalHeart95:
People fighting over the right to use a game called "Bye Bye Mosque"... wtf.

Not sure how I feel about the banning of the game, especially since it was online. While the game was absolute garbage and I want whoever made it to be shot into the sun, I don't particularly like any government messing with stuff on the internet.

I believe that the infringement is over the game's mechanics, not it's actual presentation and subject matter (if that makes sense), although I could be wrong.

And I'd say it's a bit different to normal considering they're inciting racial hatred to promote a political party, although I see your point.

minarets are awesome! at least in assasins creed!

I wonder what the follow-up reactions will be from other nations. Not that I don't think this game is garbage that shouldn't be existent, but still.

Edited to nevermind then

Jonluw:
As stupid as the game sounds, I'm still very annoyed that it was banned.

Agreed. I should be allowed to give people the choice to read whatever nonsense I can create.

Jiraiya72:
Australia's solution to everything is to ban it.

You've misread it. It's Austria this time. Good day friend.

Also, banning things is a solution, albeit rather shitty.

I think the game presents a pretty accurate view of Europe in general... An idyllic village, deeply rooted in culture suddenly has mosques and minarets rising all over the place, destroying the skyline. Minarets on historic cities are like graffiti on historic buildings. They reduce the authenticity and meaning of the place.

Saying that this game is "stupid" or "wrong" shows that you're completely oblivious to the issue at hand, and incapable of thinking much beyond your liberal-corrupted viewpoint. The view that anything preserving European culture is automatically racist.

It's too bad that politicians have to resort to different extreme viewpoints. They could be tolerant of muslims while still working to keep the history of their own country alive, but no; that would be uncontroversial and so wouldn't provide good publicity. Here's a thought: ban minarets in historic locations but allow them in the newer city areas that are devoid of personality anyways.

As for the game itself, it's juvenile for a political party to post something like it on their website. These "far-right" parties in Europe remind me of Looney Tunes villains, constantly hatching new schemes to get votes that blow up in their faces.

This is not cool. Obviously, promoting xenophobia and religious hatred isn't cool either. But banning it is unacceptable. We have this whole freedom of expression deal going on. As soon as we say that it only applies for certain points of view, the whole thing goes down the tubes and you might as well start again.

All this while the German public is devouring the new book Germany Does Itself In by Thilo Sarrazin describing how Muslim immigrants are destroying German society, which the German leadership vehemently opposes. It seems that the governments of Europe are not noticing the popular currents here. They are too committed to "liberalism" and "multiculturalism" to see that your average citizen is really pissed off with all the Muslim immigrants next door. It's the reason why games like "Bye Bye Mosque" were made in the first place. Ban them all you want, but calling people "Islamophoebes" is not going to change their ideas.

Controversially for the internet, I'm all for banning shit like this within reason.

Next there'll be people protesting against a completely unobtrusive mosqu just because it's two blacks away from Ground Zero. Wait...

Its like trying to ban a lorry from going past a mini...there are going to be people, who want to play it, who will jsut play it, and find work arounds.

Yu cant ban the internet, no matter how hard they try

If games are speech, then this is hate speech, and while I'm not opposed to this being banned in the first place, I don't think it should've been. It's a subjective and reactionary response, and something that probably shouldn't have happened. It's tasteless, but its not illegal.

By the way, anybody know if there is a term for being against Christianity or Christians? Islam is Islamophobia and Judaism is Anti-semitism; I wonder if a word even exists.

Scobie:
This is not cool. Obviously, promoting xenophobia and religious hatred isn't cool either. But banning it is unacceptable. We have this whole freedom of expression deal going on. As soon as we say that it only applies for certain points of view, the whole thing goes down the tubes and you might as well start again.

Though Freedom of Speech applies only if it doesn't violate the freedom of others and one could argue that the game falls under the Incitement law.
However, I'm happy with every action directed against the FP. They're idiots.

You people do realize they used religion or shall I say anti-religion messages to promote their own party right? Despicable.

Am I in the minority who the game doesn't really bother but the banning of it infuriates?

Last I checked, disliking a particular religion wasn't a crime. Then again, I've never really checked, so maybe I'm wrong.

*Removed

Wow, that game looks worse than I imagined reading the news update. :)

Banning the game was wrong; it's not like it's going to convince anyone to be more anti-Islam than they already might be, so it's harmless in that regard.
This could have easily gone by unnoticed doing no harm if they would left it be.
It's hardly a notable piece of software. :)
Someone else could've made a game where you stop churches from popping up like mushrooms, and whatever other religous-type buildings there are, and we could ignore them all together.

TheRightToArmBears:
Controversially for the internet, I'm all for banning shit like this within reason.

Next there'll be people protesting against a completely unobtrusive mosqu just because it's two blacks away from Ground Zero. Wait...

I'm all for freedom of speech myself.
The idea with that is you can say whatever they want, within reason.
Banning everything freely because you don't like it, within reason, is Bizarro World to me.

If you seriously don't understand why people would protest against a mosque that close to Ground Zero, I think you might not be aware of the why.
Of course I'm not saying you should agree with those people, I'm just saying I don't understand how someone could not follow their reasoning.

Autofaux:
By the way, anybody know if there is a term for being against Christianity or Christians? Islam is Islamophobia and Judaism is Anti-semitism; I wonder if a word even exists.

If those are equivalents, that's not very fair.
"Anti" means "being against", which doesn't mean anything other than that.
"Phobia" means "irrational fear", implying people who are anti-Islam are a little bit screwy.
Being anti-religious doesn't automatically mean there is something wrong with you, no matter which religion(s) you are against.
Simply "anti-Islam" isn't offensive, and is more accurate anyway.

Oh, those wacky Styrians.

The game sucked, thanks for feeding more power and protection to the trolls(muslim fundamenalists) by making this game.

Perfect! All the Republicans need to do is adapt the game to a United States setting, popularize the game and raise support for it, and voila, the mosque in New York City will be gone forever!

What uncanny timing!

This is just flat-out stupid. It shouldn't be banned.
I say that as a muslim.

I'm not offended by some radically retarded anti-Islam group making a flash game with barely any offensive imagery (it's just opposed to muslims and mosques. Difference being that it doesn't insult, but rather tries to instill fear of the subject.) I was waaaaay more offended when a national newspaper printed things offensive, vulgar and prejudiced imagery to the core of what I am as a religious practicioner and human being.
Forgive me if my definition is wrong, but isn't freedom of expression meant to mean freedom to make whatever the hell you want? (I know there are limits, but I'm trying to make a point).

Forgive any failure in sentence structure/typos etc. I'm still hungry.

GamesB2:
My response is a loud resounding 'meh'...

I don't consider myself particularly racist but really there is probably much worse on the internet if you spend 5 more minutes on google than you should.

Yes it's 'controversial' but the more you kick up about it the funnier trolls will find it and the more hate it'll produce...

Best is to just leave it alone and stop acting like it's the end of the world, because that way it'll stop being so funny.

This ^^

No. Just no.

Frankly, the game disgusts me, but governments should not have rights to censor the internet. The

internet is the best means of global communication, so you don't want governments to censor

anything. Governments will abuse any power they are given.

Austria generally isn't censoring or banning much at all. Even if Germany is getting censored versions of game we simply get the english, uncensored version of the game. In this case i think it was justified. the game was hosted on a austrian server, which means it falls under austrian laws. Besides, the FPÖ should stop bashing on immigrants and the leading political party and finally present solutions to problems instead.

Sturmdolch:
I think the game presents a pretty accurate view of Europe in general... An idyllic village, deeply rooted in culture suddenly has mosques and minarets rising all over the place, destroying the skyline. Minarets on historic cities are like graffiti on historic buildings. They reduce the authenticity and meaning of the place.

Saying that this game is "stupid" or "wrong" shows that you're completely oblivious to the issue at hand, and incapable of thinking much beyond your liberal-corrupted viewpoint. The view that anything preserving European culture is automatically racist.

It's too bad that politicians have to resort to different extreme viewpoints. They could be tolerant of muslims while still working to keep the history of their own country alive, but no; that would be uncontroversial and so wouldn't provide good publicity. Here's a thought: ban minarets in historic locations but allow them in the newer city areas that are devoid of personality anyways.

As for the game itself, it's juvenile for a political party to post something like it on their website. These "far-right" parties in Europe remind me of Looney Tunes villains, constantly hatching new schemes to get votes that blow up in their faces.

I don't post often (as you can tell I'm a lurker) but I felt I had to express my agreement with this post. I especially liked the "The view that anything preserving European culture is automatically racist"

It's very frustrating to want to be the nationality I am and want to preserve my nationality yet being called 'ignorant' and 'racist' for it. I have no problem with multiculturality I just don't see why we should have to change everything whilst they don't. (By 'they' I don't mean just Muslims, I mean any culture that wants to more to our shores and not adopt local laws and customs.)

Rhythm:

Sturmdolch:

I don't post often (as you can tell I'm a lurker) but I felt I had to express my agreement with this post. I especially liked the "The view that anything preserving European culture is automatically racist"

It's very frustrating to want to be the nationality I am and want to preserve my nationality yet being called 'ignorant' and 'racist' for it. I have no problem with multiculturality I just don't see why we should have to change everything whilst they don't. (By 'they' I don't mean just Muslims, I mean any culture that wants to more to our shores and not adopt local laws and customs.)

I missed this post the first time around, so here I am commenting 2 weeks later.

I'll start out by saying that there is nothing fundementally wrong with this game, especially in the current global climate with the wars going on, and the various problems involving Muslims throughout the world, such as the riots in France many moons ago.

If anything we're dealing with cultural bigotry, not racism. What's more it's a big issue internationally when people coming into countries as immigrants and not becoming part of those cultures and instead acting like they did in their land of origin. A person coming to Austria, managing to immigrate, but having no intention of actually becoming Austrian for example. Cultural melting pots fail when people cease the melting so to speak. Islam CAN be practiced in a quiet, and unnoticable fashion like other religions. It's followers however are infamous for not doing so. Then there is the violence and xenocidal aspects of the entire thing. As I have said before, I have no problem with Islam itself, but I have a problem with Muslim culture which has gone so far in the US to see fights with employers over employees not wanting to remove their sacred headwear to match the dress code. Most people follow some religion, and frankly you can't tell what that faith is unless you ask them or go substantially out of your way to find out. That's how things should be, and exactly the kind of issue that this game was addressing. I do not think it's literally about obnoxious mosques, but things like you see even in the US with Muslim communities intimidating special treatment out of people, with businesses creating special prayer rooms for them and so on.

A lot of people are going to hate me for saying this kind of thing (yet again) if anyone bothers to read it on a thread this old.

Then of course there are is the violence, terrorism, and other things which are engrained far deeper than liberals want to believe. While old check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdWV02Szb5k

That's an Islamic children's program (a real one) conditioning kids from an early age to kill Jews. You can find similar things dealing with everything from America, to the western world in general. This is to say nothing of the various speeches given by their leaders both before and after 9/11.

People oftentimes claim I'm evil, ignorant, or a hate monger, but it's the fault of the culture for turning me that way. Things like the above are the tip of an iceberg that has been building for decades (before 9/11) as far as I'm concerned. That said I am not totally unreasonable, I simply think that there is nothing wrong with letting them reap what they have sown. At this point I do not think it's "our" job to forgive them, be nice, or show tolerance. It's their job to change, grow up, and EARN our trust and respect back as a culture. We should not be the ones making the overtures to protect them, or acting the part of the apologists. Some politician makes a video game about not wanting their culture in his country, that's not "good" per se, but am I supposed to have sympathy for a culture that produces children's programs like that? Those programs also sort of show who we are dealing with, since they have been conditioned from an early age. That SHOULD scare you, and no sane person wants people indoctrinated to kill you from an early age living next door. That's not hype, lies, or anything else either.... it's right bloody there (albiet I only posted one link, there are others for other groups. That one is specifically their equivilent of Barney or whatever teaching the Islamic children about Jews...).

-

Otherwise where I am going to risk another hate-gasm is simply that while I don't see a big deal about the video game in question, I will also say that I am more or less against cultural preservation in Europe or anywhere else.

This is long enough as it is but the bottom line is that I believe right now the people of Earth need to be working to come together as one culture. While anethma to many, I think it's nessicary for the survival of the species as it's the only way we're going to be able to get off the planet to obtain more resources and living space. Space exploration and solving a lot of our problems are simply not possible while the world remains divided into seperate nations, both due to not being able to pool our resources, and the duplication of reasearch and development (ie one nation develops something, keeps it for themselves, so the other nations all put their big heads on the feat of duplicating it. Leading to very slow development of technology when to 'beat the clock' before we use up the resources on the planet and make saving outselves impossible we need all our brains working towards progress, not playing monkey see, monkey do with each other), not to mention paranoia.

I believe that this unity can largely come from the spread of ideas, but there is going to be at least one more massive war due to the fact that for this to work no exceptions will be possible.

Just as I feel that Islamics should "adapt" to being a quiet part of society, perhaps wearing a small holy symbol like a Christian might wear a cross but otherwise dropping everything else outside of their equivilent of a weekly church service or whatever (ie religion is fine, but it should be kept out of the public eye, as purely a personal and non-invasive or pervasive thing), I also believe that everyone and everything needs to more or less come together under one set of universal standards.

Many people think this is impossible, I on the other hand think simple survival is going to mandate things going in that direction sooner than people think. We already see a lot of the signs which is why some nations are getting on a "preservation" kick, and putting up things like national firewalls to try and stop, or slow, the spread of outside ideas. The result is not going to be a utopia, or an end to conflict. Nor will it come about without a lot of blood and violence, but it is the only way we as a species are going to survive.

As a result when I hear people talking about cultural preservation and such, I tend to see it as being counter-productive. Despite everything I said about the current conflict with Islam, I think people should actually spend more time thinking about how they can come together more and get along, rather than how they can shut everything else out and become increasingly independant.

Independance is a powerful thing, but it isn't worth using up all of the wood, metal, fuel, and other things on our planet due to an exploding population, and then dying out here when our sun goes cold if nothing else (the sun is not eternal). Without everyone on the same page saving ourself from this fate is impossible, if nothing else as long as there is more than one overall faction, it means that each faction is going to freak out about what the other one might be doing and putting into space, and that means nothing will be getting done. Heck, as it is right now you can't launch satellites without people getting all paranoid about whose "communication sattellites" might actually be packing missles aimed at so and so country.

TheRightToArmBears:

As I understand it, it isn't even a mosque. It's a Muslim community centre.
I could be wrong, but it's shameful either way.

Dear God I hope Anila Baig doesn't get hold of this.....

1. What kind of fucking game is that. Should never have been made.
2. BANNING IS NEVER THE ANSWER

Old news is old.

Well, tho, I am from Austria, Lower Austria to be more precise. So I'm pretty involved in the whole shit going on.
I'm not racist or a nazi just to make things clear. People can believe in whatever they like or be from whereever they are in my opinion, I just wouldn't care.
But that retired people, which have worked hard their whole life, to get this country fit, get way less than immigrants, which aren't even willing to learn our language or get a job here, that is a matter of fact. Don't get me wrong, there is absolutely no problem with immigrants that are working and integrated in the regular social life. But if they come to Austria, and aren't willing to do anything but being lazy and get cash by the government, they should be sent back as soon as possible.

Also, though that I'm a kinda social person, I don't see why the Austrian population should make themselves fit to the immigrants coming to us. I mean it worked well earlier times, when Magyars and Czech people for example came over here. They got a job, lived here normally and relatively peaceful. But when they come to Austria wanting to change the whole fucking system to their advantage and to our bad, there's a problem of course.

In Austria currently every party kind of sucks. Every party but the Freedom Party is so over-social. They give them everything they want. My mother went to college and is a pretty high educated person, currently unemployed, but she had worked almost all of her life, getting LESS than immigrants that aren't even able to speak 5 words in our language.

I just wanted to point that out.
Please don't get me wrong.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or