Capcom Announces Ace Attorney Investigations 2 for TGS

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Capcom Announces Ace Attorney Investigations 2 for TGS

Ace prosecutor Miles Edgeworth will be hitting the crime scenes for a second outing.

The Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney trilogy may be some of my favorite games on the DS of all time. The lackluster Apollo Justice soured me a bit on the series, though, and I never did get around to picking up Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth, despite it starring some of my favorite characters from the original games.

It seems that there were plenty of other people who signed on board with Prosecutor Edgeworth and Detective Gumshoe - according to Japanese game mag Famitsu, Capcom has announced a sequel. Ace Attorney Investigations 2, or Gyakuten Kenji 2 (lit. "Turnabout Prosecutor") as they call it in Japan, will be on the show floor at Tokyo Game Show 2010 next week.

Though the screens in the scan are very blurry and hard to make out, sharp-eyed fans have recognized at least one returning character, professional assassin Shelly de Killer. Seeing as how Shelly de Killer last appeared in "Farewell, My Turnabout," the final case in Justice For All - also known as the best goddamn case in the entire series - this alone is enough to spark some interest. Consider me officially intrigued, Capcom.

The sequel will also have new game systems, with "chess" being mentioned as having something to do with the whole shebang. I guess there's nothing like playing a few rounds of chess in the middle of a crime scene, or something.

(Siliconera)

Shelly De Killer? Sold.

Also, you should pick up Ace Attorney Investigations. It's not the best AA game, but it's still quite good in its own right.

Sounds great! I hope they bring it to the States.

I'd really be interested to see what they do with Shelly de Killer this time around. The case from Justice for All was brilliant (though I enjoyed "Bridge to Turnabout" from Trials and Tribulations more).

I know of one person who may have something to say about it.

Awesome. I loved playing as Edgeworth in the last game. I like the idea of "chess", as well.

I really need to get around to playing the other Ace Attorney games. The only one I've played is Apollo Justice, and I loved it.

This just made my day, Edgeworth is my favorite character... as you can probably tell.
<----

The Phoenix Wright trilogy is absolutely sublime. I haven't picked up the Miles Edgeworth one yet, but I guess I kinda have to now, huh? Damn you, Capcom!

I have played all the AA games up until now, except Investigations

Reason: It hasn't been released in my country as far as i know, but while Apollo Justice might take away most of the characters one grew to love during the first three it's still worthwhile to play.

I chose not to see it as a direct sequel and instead as a whole new instalment of the series, and going into it with that mindset made it much more interesting.

You had me at Ace Attorney.

This series has more charm in it's worst game than nearly every other game out there.

BRING IT ON!

I will never get how a game about a lawyer can be fun...

AWESOME! I was just talking to my dad earlier about how it's a shame that they wouldn't make an another one. Though I miss the courtroom...

Considering that the series is a candidate for best thing ever (along with sex and Yugioh abridged), I'm rather excited.

OBJECTION!

I have nothing to object to other then the game not being ready now :P

AWESOME! Loved first one so cant wait for part 2!

Daemascus:

At least until you play the game.

Daemascus:

Not unless you ever play it you won't. It's fun because it's not just being a lawyer- it's also being a detective. It's extremely dramatic because you work for the falsely accused party and always have to overcome ridiculous odds and tons of unfavorable, out of context, and falsely submitted evidence. On the first day of any case, everything points toward your client, and as you progress, you discover more and more pieces of the puzzle until everything starts to become clear. But it's not enough to just know what happened- you have to be able to prove it. A lot of the intensity of the fight comes from having to overcome all the bureaucratic BS, and the sense of accomplishment when you finally get that scheming SOB to crack is fantastic.
Oh, and did I mention that the series has one of the most consistently awesome scripts and soundtrack out of any game I've ever played. I've said it once, I'll say it 1000 times- Capcom are gods of synthesized music.

I don't know about this one. I'm kind of tired of the series to be honest.

Can't wait for this! Although now I want to play And Justice For All, it being the one AA title I haven't played.

*froth*

I didn't think that Miles Edgeworth was nearly as good as the other games but if they can step up the storytelling, I'm on board.

Cool, I'm happy to hear about this. However...in 2007, Capcom announced they were developing a sequel to Apollo Justice, and haven't made any statements since. Is it cancelled? Still in production? On hiatus while the creative team work on Ace Attorney Investigations? Wish they'd say.

Here's also to hoping that there'll be a shorter amount of time between the Japanese and English release.

This is fantastic news! Though I'm slightly disappointed because, when I first saw the name of Investigations 1, I thought the next games would maybe feature other main lawyers from the series. But Edgeworth is still awesome!

And I prefer Bridge to Turnabout from AA3 as well. I don't know why, but that case just moves me deeper than almost anything I've come across so far.

Ace Attorney Investigations was a huge disappointment considering the quality of the first four games. The game would practically tell you what happened, and then ask you to repeat it, instead of the unique mystery-solving style of the first few.

But the return of de Killer looks promising. Hopefully this new one won't be as easy.

I hope the dialogue is as painfully mediocre as the last Investigations game!

Yay! A happy fan am I.

Magnatek:

Awesome. I loved playing as Edgeworth in the last game. I like the idea of "chess", as well.

SPOILER WARNING!
http://objection.mrdictionary.net/go.php?n=4287565

A random person:
Considering that the series is a candidate for best thing ever (along with sex and Yugioh abridged), I'm rather excited.

HAH! this guy knows what the good things in life are.

except that he did not add dragon quest 6 and code geass or eureka 7.

(love yu gi oh abridged.)

Ooh I wish they would release more parts of the series on the iPhone.

I'm very slightly torn about this news. Investigations brings some really great stuff to the series as a whole, but I missed the quicker back-and-forth courtroom wars. I hope they trim down the number of characters talking in climactic scenes this time around.

Magnatek:

http://objection.mrdictionary.net/go.php?n=4288020

Well...as long as they don't make Gumshoe his old lovable self again instead of a complete idiot I would be happy to buy the game.

Oh shit wait, I sold my DS.

I just picked up the Ace Attorney Investigations game last friday and they're already making a sequel? I can only say this to that: They had me at Ace Attorney and I sold my soul to them when Shelly De Killer was mentioned. I hope it won't take ages before it reaches europe.

Sevre90210:
Can't wait for this! Although now I want to play And Justice For All, it being the one AA title I haven't played.

First question: Why the hell would you play a story driven series out of order?

Second question: WHY DID YOU SKIP THE BEST CASE IN THE ENTIRE AA SERIES!?

WOW!!! I'm really excited for this one! Played through all five Ace Attorney games so far and never got bored. It's one of the very, very few series I'll purchase every title, regardless if the reviews.

In this particular case repetition is a good thing. Don't care if Capcom throws out another 20 Ace Attorney with the same gameplay.

"Farewell, My Tournabout" was utterly brilliant times awesome, but it was beaten by "Bridge to Turnabout" in T&T, which was utterly brilliant to the power of awesome.

In any case, an "Ace Attorney" game is always great news.

I guess there's nothing like playing a few rounds of chess in the middle of a crime scene, or something.

What is a round of chess exactly? :P

Don't worry, John. I feel the same as you do. And I never got around to buying Investigations either... Was a bit scared to, even though Miles Edgeworth is my favorite character...

(And if you frequented the same Ace Attorney site/forum I'm thinking of, :D Hello! Glad to see you got a gig for a gaming magazine! How long have you been at this?)

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here