The Neverwinter Formula: "Co-op Dragon Age With a Touch of Oblivion"

Pages 1 2 NEXT

The Neverwinter Formula: "Co-op Dragon Age With a Touch of Oblivion"

Jack Emmert of Cryptic says Neverwinter, the online RPG planned for release next year, will be like "a co-op Dragon Age with a touch of Oblivion."

A lot of gamers, myself included, still aren't quite sure what to make of Neverwinter, the new RPG announced last month by Cryptic. It's not an MMO but it's more than just banging around in Neverwinter Nights. So what's the deal?

"This is an online RPG, a co-op Dragon Age with a touch of Oblivion's exploration," Emmert told Eurogamer. "That is definitely our goal.

"Dragon Age was a very personal experience, and the Neverwinter project is more about exploration and learning about Neverwinter. You're an adventurer, you've been called here [Neverwinter] and you want to seek your fame and fortune like any true D&D adventurer would," he said. "The focus is a little bit different, but in essence yes, we have the cinematics, the NPCs, the voice acting and the so forth and so on."

But Emmert also noted that while the game will be an online RPG, that doesn't necessarily mean it will be multiplayer. "You can play solo. You're always online; you're never offline. But you can certainly solo through the content," he continued. "There will be persistent areas you travel to where you might see other players, but nobody's going to hold a gun to your head to play with them. There will be content that is team only, but in those cases, if you want to solo it, you can just hire NPC henchmen."

Neverwinter will be similar to Guild Wars, with instanced dungeons, henchman and social hubs, and will offer post-release support "just as if it were an MMO." So why not make things easier for everyone and just call it an MMO? "By re-labeling it I want people going in knowing that we're doing things differently to an MMO," he said. "That doesn't mean that we won't have as many features, it's just that those features might be different."

Neverwinter is scheduled to come out sometime next year, exclusively for the PC.

This looks like something I could get into, provided there isn't a monthly fee. That's the main impetus for me not playing MMOs atm.

I don't know how I feel about this. I was a major NWN fan, and have even reinstalled it recently to play around with it. This seems different, a little too different. I wont make any calls now, but I don't have my hopes up.

"This is an online RPG, a co-op Dragon Age with a touch of Oblivion's exploration," Emmert told Eurogamer. "That is definitely our goal."

Why not make it Neverwinter Night co-op with a mix of Neverwinter Nights, so that you have a reason to call it Neverwinter?

I have yet to play a good Cryptic game or a good non-Bioware Neverwinter Nights game.

Since its made by Cryptic it will probably be small, shallow and boring but yet more expensive than other games. Thats how the Uwe Boll of gaming roll!

Elementlmage:
Why not make it Neverwinter Night co-op with a mix of Neverwinter Nights, so that you have a reason to call it Neverwinter?

Yes, why don't they?

I would be more at ease if the guy had said that they actually drew on something, anything from Neverwinter Nights.

deth2munkies:
This looks like something I could get into, provided there isn't a monthly fee. That's the main impetus for me not playing MMOs atm.

Ditto.
I liked Dragon Age but if it was more like Oblivion I would like it more. Let meplay it with others and I'm there.
I'm just not paying a monthly fee.

Like with the DC game coming to the ps3: I would've given it a shot if there wasn't a monthly fee.

So, it's a great game (Dragon Age) mixed with a shitty game (Oblivion) and with a focus on a game mechanic I personally dislike (co-op)?

I think I'll pass...

Hmm...You ever hear about how mixing two great things can sometimes lead to disaster.

I think Yahtzee made a relation to that once, But Im far to bored and unwilling to derail the thread to look it up.

OT: i'm a tad hesitant to believe in this. I loved Neverwinter nights, But this thing just seems....I dunno.

So you're in neverwinter. So far that's the only comparison. Everything else seems different.

I agree, it would be a great combonation those two factors - Something brilliant would come of it

The guys over at RPG Codex are going to hate this.. as usual :)

Kinda funny way to describe it considering that Dragon Age was heavily based on NwN at first, it was after all cRPG BioWare started working on right after they released Neverwinter Nights.

At the end of the day however i think i'd prefer a proper, improved NwN 3 instead of a GuildWars like product. Multiplayer in previous versions allowed for amazing use of community created content along with servers focused on different kind of play. When it will all mix into one, joyful grindfest it will loose all the appeal and we already have DDO for the DnD based MMO.

Keava:
Kinda funny way to describe it considering that Dragon Age was heavily based on NwN at first, it was after all cRPG BioWare started working on right after they released Neverwinter Nights.

They actually said that they designed the levels for Dragon Age: Origons in NwN first before actually making them for the final game.

OT: I loved NwN but I dont nkow about this, does it even have anything to do with Neverwinter Nights?

How about call it Neverwinter Mornings?

"By relabeling it I want people going in knowing that we're doing things differently to an MMO,"

Let's take a look at this. First off, Is it a role playing game? Yes. RPG.
Does it support hundreds of players online? It's Massive Multiplayer. And it's online.

MMORPG. Idiots are just messing with words to make us go "OH WOW, SOMETHING DIFFERENT A WHOLE NEW EXPERIENCE." Gtfo.

deth2munkies:

I also agree.
I don't like the fact that all of these new MMO games that are supposed to be revolutionary to the genre are having a $15 monthly fee. I know they need the money to support the game, but isn't that a little dicky? I used to play improbable island and I donated to them not just because of the sweet loots I got, but also because I liked the game and wanted to keep it going. As annoying as the cash shops are in many of the free mmo's out there, it works very well and you get some sweet loot to make your game more fun while also giving money to the creators.

Don't be dicks creators. I'll pay you anyway. =(

So, this is a co-op game, not an MMO? Why are they considering charging a monthly fee? You don't see Epic charging monthly for Gears of War. Or Valve charging for Left 4 Dead.

Now this is something I will definitely be interested in. I have loved the first NwN and expansion sets, and although the second installment left me kinda bleh-ish, I know I'll be looking forward to this one.

Kelethor:
Hmm...You ever hear about how mixing two great things can sometimes lead to disaster.

I think Yahtzee made a relation to that once, But Im far to bored and unwilling to derail the thread to look it up.

OT: i'm a tad hesitant to believe in this. I loved Neverwinter nights, But this thing just seems....I dunno.

You're thinking of the ZP review for Fallout 3.

Yahtzee:

I speculated that watching every single gunshot happen in slow motion from a different camera angle would get old after a while, but that's not the case. Watching a super mutant's body fly off in one direction and his head in three others never loses it's charm as a spectacle. But in a nutshell, it's a system for lobster accountants who distrust the uncoordinated flailing of their pincers and would rather let numbers decide the outcome of battle. For people who actually know which end of a gun makes the loud noises, it's essentially a magic "hey look over there" button that keeps the enemy holding nice and still while you carefully pick off their testicles. And when you're out of action points, you can still fire manually. There's a good reason why no one's ever tried mixing real-time and turn-based combat and it's the same reason why no one's ever tried mixing jam with pus.

/me is still waiting for NWN1 and NWN2 to detect my keyboard.

Seriously, I don't understand why the games though I didn't have a keyboard installed...

I'm quite surprised by this thread. After I read the words "with a touch of Oblivion" I expected the Morrowind gang to appear and start ranting. Needless to say I'm pleasantly surprised.

Anyways what drew my attention more was "similar to Guild Wars". Frankly it sounds identical in terms of co-op from what little I've played of that game.

Let's see:
Dragon Age
A pinch of Oblivion
Optional co-op gameplay

...consider me interested. I look forward to seeing how this turns out.

*sighs*

Neverwinter Nights was about customization. It was D&D in a computer game, homebrew rules and campaign settings and all. That is why it was loved, that is why NWN2 was not loved, and that is why we will not love NWN3.

I still play NWN every day, on Escape from the Underdark: Archipelago. Good times.

it already sounds very cheesy and generic bros, dragonage was hard to take very seriously due to awkward npc movement(sometimes bad lip syncing too) and oblivions exploration was as yahtzee said just copypastaed land, i mean i've heard theyve managed to fail at making a popular franchise into an mmo. y'know startrek.

how long has this been in the making?

Andy Chalk:
"By relabeling it I want people going in knowing that we're doing things differently to an MMO," he said. "That doesn't mean that we won't have as many features, it's just that those features might be different."

So basically, they don't want to call it an MMO in order to avoid upsetting longtime Neverwinter Nights fans with the fact that it essentialy is an MMO. *sigh*

EDIT: Honestly, why not just make a regular RPG title? I mean, if you are going to mention titles like Dragon Age and Oblivion, it would help if your title was a standard RPG as well.

Jandau:
So, it's a great game (Dragon Age) mixed with a shitty game (Oblivion) and with a focus on a game mechanic I personally dislike (co-op)?

I think I'll pass...

So, it's a great game (Oblivion) mixed with a pretty good game (Dragon Age) and with a focus on a combat mechanic I personally am ambivalent toward (co-op)?

I think I'll pass...

Sorry, had to do it. I'm not liking it because it's an MMO and will be a boring grind. And Jandau, before you say Oblivion was a boring grind (which you inevitably will) , you have to realize that Oblivion is just about as much of a grind as Dragon Age. Sure, you couldn't grind mobs in DA because it was linear as anything. However, the combat in DA was tedious at best. I guess the whole slowly clicking on monsters and stacking attacks D&D/Baldur's Gate style (or whatever it is, I didn't ever play D&D) isn't my thing.

Kelethor:

Or it can make an amazing super game, like Duke Nukem Forever.

I think i just wet myself.
Ever since the end of NWN2 ive been itching to bust out my D&D board. ((thats means its a roughly 5 year itch.))

When they describe it, the first thing that comes to mind is the amazing character creater. i can see myself spending another hour just deciding on the race alone! ((not that i spent an hour before. no, it was much closer to 2.....))

Senrab:
I don't know how I feel about this. I was a major NWN fan, and have even reinstalled it recently to play around with it. This seems different, a little too different. I wont make any calls now, but I don't have my hopes up.

I dont think this has anything to do with Neverwinter Nights except for the setting. This is actualyl the third Neverwinter game made, but none are related except for being in DnD, specifically the city of Neverwinter

which brings me to my next point...Why always Neverwinter? There are tons of places in Forgotten Realms that are interesting too. The name escapes me at the moment, but what about that place with the Red Wizards? That would be a cool location for a game.

Yay! Unique ideas for new Neverwinter game! Woohoo!

Miumaru:

Senrab:

I dont think this has anything to do with Neverwinter Nights except for the setting. This is actualyl the third Neverwinter game made, but none are related except for being in DnD, specifically the city of Neverwinter

which brings me to my next point...Why always Neverwinter? There are tons of places in Forgotten Realms that are interesting too. The name escapes me at the moment, but what about that place with the Red Wizards? That would be a cool location for a game.

I for one would like the whole damn package. I wanna be able to travel from Waterdeep to Baldur's Gate to anywhere else in Faerun.

As for what I said, perhaps I should elaborate. I played NWN alot, it was the game's playstyle I liked. It's hard to say exactly what it was about it, but it's just a game that I'm particularly attached to, and a new installment that is so radically different doesn't sit well with me. I'll give it time and see how this develops.

Senrab:

Miumaru:

Senrab:

I for one would like the whole damn package. I wanna be able to travel from Waterdeep to Baldur's Gate to anywhere else in Faerun.

As for what I said, perhaps I should elaborate. I played NWN alot, it was the game's playstyle I liked. It's hard to say exactly what it was about it, but it's just a game that I'm particularly attached to, and a new installment that is so radically different doesn't sit well with me. I'll give it time and see how this develops.

I am also a huge fan of NWN, as I have fond memories RPing online. But again, I dont think this game has anything to do with NWN. This is not being made by Bioware OR Obsidian.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here