Update: The Escapist Community Musician Rocks a Half-Life 2 Tribute Song

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Update: The Escapist Community Musician Rocks a Half-Life 2 Tribute Song

A musically inclined member of The Escapist's community has composed tribute songs in praise of mute Half-Life hero Gordon Freeman and Gears of War redshirt Clay Carmine, and they rock pretty darn hard.

You can say a lot of things about The Escapist's community - for one, they have excellent tastes in gaming-culture websites. For another, they're quite the multi-talented bunch. The song you see (or rather hear) here to the right is called "Gordon Freeman Saved My Life," and it was composed by none other than The Escapist's own MiracleOfSound.

The song tells the story of the occupation of City 17 by the iron-fisted rule of the Combine, and the hero who came along to free it with naught but his wits and a crowbar. It's also actually a really catchy tune on its own rights - even more so given that it's the work of just one guy.

It's a shame that there are so few songs heralding the glory of the true hero of the City 17 rebellion: Lamarr the headcrab. However, for the time being, I suppose we should take what we can get, particularly if they turn out as well as this one did.

Update: Not a day after the first song, here comes a second one. This time, it's a tribute to Clayton Carmine, the third of the ill-fated Carmine brothers in the Gears of War series - the one whose fate is up for the community to decide.

Called "The Ballad of Clay Carmine" and told from the perspective of one of the COG soldiers, this sophomore album (sort of) may actually be better than the original HL2 song! Don't you love talented videogame fans?

(The Escapist forums - Thanks, Hubilub!)

As I wrote in the original thread. Awesome. If it was a metal it would be Unobtanium. If it was a game it would be Mafia. If it was a actor it would be Anthony Hopkins.

I think I've made my point clear.

Nice song, but everyone forgets the true true hero of City 17: Laszlo. Truly, he was the brightest mind of our generation.

One of the best damn video game songs ever.

I also demand a cut of the profits now that I've helped advertise the thing!

*goes off the write song*
OT: Awesome, pure awesome. More words cannot descibe the awesome that this is.

That is pure epic. Give this man a fucking badge. It sounds a bit like Guns 'N' Roses to me.

Badge him, Badge him, Badge him *chants*

Uh. *coughs* Anyway. Even though I'm repeating myself here: That's talent, skill and passion all bunched up neatly together. A one-way ticket to success. Fantastic work.

ultimateownage:
That is pure epic. Give this man a fucking badge. It sounds a bit like Guns 'N' Roses to me.

I second this.

Make him his very own rockin' badge!

Or have him make a collaboration with Rebecca Mayes or something.

Truly epic!

There's too much awesome there for just one badge!

This. Is. Awesome. Give him a badge!

Edit - Also, anywhere we can download/get this?

Give him infinity badges.

Because this song is fucking AWESOME!
Kudos to you, Mr. Mir.

Fuck yes! Nice one Miracle my boy!

I'm really sorry I couldn't help you with it, I just noticed the PM in my inbox.

But this is great. I nominate Miracle for a Thanks badge!

Hubilub:

Or have him make a collaboration with Rebecca Mayes or something.

I second this particular motion!

OT: I was too busy to post in the original thread, but I liked what I heard while I ate my orange before getting back to essays.

Furburt:
Fuck yes! Nice one Miracle my boy!

I'm really sorry I couldn't help you with it, I just noticed the PM in my inbox.

But this is great. I nominate Miracle for a Thanks badge!

A thanks! badge is too puny! Plus he hasn't really earned a "thanks" from the site anyway.

He must get something even moar awesome!

LIKE A PONY!

Ooooooh very nice, well done Miracle! Don't ever talk to you but thats some pretty neat shizzle you've done there :P

"Like Chuck Norris in a geek form."

Thank you for giving me that wonderful image. The song kicks ass, too.

This man deserves a glorious badge for his accomplishment at increasing the amount of awesome stuff present in geek culture.

the song is truly of great quality.

That was awesome. Wow man, great work. Very impressive. Are any other videos going to be made?

That's pretty damn awesome.
If you read this Miracle, ever consider a job in the music industry? You have the voice and the creativity for it, it seems.

voetballeeuw:
That was awesome. Wow man, great work. Very impressive. Are any other videos going to be made?

Even better: He's taking requests. Though there's about 7 pages worth of video game themed requests for songs, so if you have one, it might take some time.

hazabaza1:
If you read this Miracle, ever consider a job in the music industry? You have the voice and the creativity for it, it seems.

I might be remembering this wrong, but I think he already has a contract.

He is a musician though, that much I know.

Fuck.

That's good.

Did he post up a download link or something?

It's stuck in my head now.
I'm probably going to hum it all day long tomorrow D:
Also, very good job on the AWESOME song, give the guy a badge!

That's pretty sweet dude. Now to steal it and put it on my iPod. Unless of course Miracle is intending to sell it on iTunes, I'd happily pay for it, not enough game related songs on my iPod.

Hubilub:

hazabaza1:

I might be remembering this wrong, but I think he already has a contract.

He is a musician though, that much I know.

Ah. Well, he deserves it!
Good luck to Miracle with his future in music, and the such.

Hey I really liked this song and I haven't even played the half life games. Cool shit, Well done.

I am rather impressed! Very nice beat!

Wow.

Guys this is just too awesome, thank you so much for making my day, fuck it, for making my year.

My very cliched 'almost made it big but never quite did' music career went on a downturn in the last year due to the pesky old recession (it ain't easy out there for a 30 year old rocker stuck in the 80s and 90s!) but from this unbelievable reaction today, you guys have encouraged me to give it one more shot and not give up the one dream I've had since I was 10 years old - to make music for a living.

I'm honoured and delighted that the site featured it, and I'm so excited that I can't get to sleep, even though I have now been awake for 28 hours.

Hub thanks for the plugs, and Mr Funk thanks for the mention :)

You guys are so amazing, thank you :)

Amamzing. I mean, "valve time"?
Brilliant!

Knight Templar:
Amamzing. I mean, "valve time"?
Brilliant!

Was wondering when someone would catch onto that one ;)

Your name doesn't do you credit, MoS. This isn't a miracle of sound, it's a masterpiece of true dedication

Well done! Now do one about Chicago Ted

So much awesome. Usually songs about computer games/cool nerd stuff are always in the horrid ilk of Indie/low quality, with lame accoustic guitar work.

Finally combining a wicked form a rock with Half-Life - this has made my day :-D

Great song. Obviously a labour of love.

So to get a Thanks badge I need to write an awesome song? Damn. The most awesome musical thing I ever did was make a video with Escapist members at the A-Team.

Woo, go Miracle!
As I and many others said in the other thread:
Fucking awesome.

Great to see that this community has such talented persons. Awesome song!

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here