Three Million Copies or No Sequel for Medal of Honor

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Three Million Copies or No Sequel for Medal of Honor

Medal of Honor Executive Producer Greg Goodrich says the game needs to sell at least three million copies or you can forget about a sequel.

Medal of Honor is a big-budget game and it's getting a big-budget promotional push from EA. But it's also leaping into a crowded battlefield that's long been dominated by the Call of Duty franchise, which is releasing a new iteration of its own just a month after MOH hits. In other words, it's no sure thing. Greg Goodrich, the executive producer on the game, said in a far-reaching interview with the New York Times that if it doesn't ring up at least three million copies, "I'm not going to be able to do another one."

EA is setting its sights high in order to achieve that goal. It used over 100 microphones to record weapons fire at Fort Irwin in California, attached microphones to Apache helicopters to record takeoff and landing sounds and even recorded the sound of incoming fire by putting mics on targets that the helicopters destroyed. The company also hired special operations soldiers to consult on the game, who actually advised the developers to step back a bit from the real deal.

The original plan for the game was to recreate the 2002 operation Anaconda, including a battle in which Neil Roberts, a Navy SEAL, fell out of a helicopter and was dragged away and killed by Al Qaeda fighters. The game at that stage "resembled very closely events overseas that involved friends of ours that had been killed," explained one consultant, who went by the name of Coop. "We thought it hit a little too close to home" and would "put a sour taste in our brothers' mouths."

"They're selling authenticity and realism. We wanted to help bring that to the table," he added. "But we also wanted to make sure it didn't go too far." As a result, Medal of Honor is now "authentic and plausible," Goodrich said, rather than "accurate and realistic."

Medal of Honor comes out on October 12 for the PC, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.

Ill probably buy it, or get it as an xmas present or something. 2,999,999 to go then eh?

WHY did it get all these sounds? WHY does it have to be the real noise? WHY spend all that money when it could easily have been made cheaply in a recording sutdio? WHY WHY WHY?

Seriously, games are about as real as anybody wants them, can't we just make them fun?

tk1989:
Ill probably buy it, or get it as an xmas present or something. 2,999,999 to go then eh?

2,999,98 more...

As long as I have enough money lying around. I also intend to get LBP 2, as well as AC: Brotherhood. If I'm not totally broke, I will pick it up.

No one buy it! Send a message to these jerks and tell them "no more repetitive shooters! We demand innovation and imagination!"

That's a pretty solid mark to hit. Best of luck to them, although I doubt they'll easily breach it.

Id rather they just remake Allied Assault and Frontline with HD Graphics.

The Great JT:
No one buy it! Send a message to these jerks and tell them "no more repetitive shooters! We demand innovation and imagination!"

'We' don't demand innovation and imagination, what people who play video games demand from developers now a days is 'fun'.

If you want innovation and imagination you should probably demand it from technology as a whole.

A bit silly, seeing as this is part of a franchise already...

Makes sense, why make a sequel if it won't sell? But I'm passing on it... whole $60 PC retail thing again.

The Great JT:

Why? So CoD can have the market of repetetive shooters all to its self? If there's more shooters on the market then that's how innovation happens. Competition leads to ingenuity, and monopoly leads to stagnation.

You lost a sale. Im not paying almost half of what the minimum wage is here for this game.
ALso you are setting you sights too high. Its like WW2 games several years ago only instead of WW2 we have USA vs random guy with a silly hat or a Russain soldier. There a lot of competition.

I also really wish the consultants hadn't convinced them to change the details. How else are people going to learn about and truly understand the experience of the war and its consequences for both sides if they don't get a relatively true-to-life acount?

Charcharo:
You lost a sale. Im not paying almost half of what the minimum wage is here for this game.
ALso you are setting you sights too high. Its like WW2 games several years ago only instead of WW2 we have USA vs random guy with a silly hat or a Russain soldier. There a lot of competition.

You mean the war in afghanistan....cant really think of many shooters that have encompassed that recently.

I for one am getting it, they seem to have put a lot of work into it, yes the MP seemed a little too similar to BC2 but i liked the overall feel of it since it came down to teamwork to win a game not just LOLOLOLOLZ SPAM TUBEZ!!!!!!!

tlozoot:

The Great JT:

Why? So CoD can have the market of repetetive shooters all to its self? If there's more shooters on the market then that's how innovation happens. Competition leads to ingenuity, and monopoly leads to stagnation.

No, because if it sells well, it means that they'll just keep making sequels that don't add anything new to the gameplay and is completely carried by the online multiplayer.

Halo, Madden and Call of Duty get away with it, and they're horrible enough as it is. I don't want to see more game franchises get away with re-hashing their first games with next to no additions.

It's been said, but really going to all that effort to record gunfire? Considering that most gamers would have trouble telling the difference between a modern rocket launcher hitting a modern tank and a WWII rocket launcher hitting a WWII tank. Are there no SFX libraries that have this sort of thing, or have all the modern day shooters gone out with microphones to a army base? Foaly department anyone?

Authentic and plausible is good. We've all seen how too much realism can be a very, very boring thing, and destroy the escapism that we play games for in the first place.

Oh please let it sell 2,999,999 copies....

Daveman:
WHY did it get all these sounds? WHY does it have to be the real noise? WHY spend all that money when it could easily have been made cheaply in a recording sutdio? WHY WHY WHY?

Seriously, games are about as real as anybody wants them, can't we just make them fun?

And they bitch about high costs of making games...

Maybe if they didn't do crap like this, they'd be able to save a nice chunk of money.

Don't worry man, I'll buy it. Probably, anyways. Depends on whether or not there's other games out xD

Well, they can count me out. I've got Vanquish and Enslaved to get, after all!

Maybe if I get some cash for Christmas, though.

Ah damn, I guess I'll just have to go ahead and not buy it as planned.

So they're bribing us? With a sequel?

How about instead of all your arabic and russian terrorists, you set it against australia?
- Nope, the aussie merc thing has bee done

Canada?
- Nope, game would be over in one level and Canada would win XD

Random areas of africa?
- Let's not become Bigots now (I'm looking at you RE5 flamers)

China?
- enough games about the vietnam war already

Any other ideas? No? THen maybe it's time to cut the shit with all the WW2/terrorist games.

I want it to sell enough to piss off the people who believe that this game is glorifying the killing of Americans by Talibans.

Because what the industry needs right now in addition to more shooters is more sequels to shooters. Because Its hard to think of stuff that's new.

The Great JT:

No, because if it sells well, it means that they'll just keep making sequels that don't add anything new to the gameplay and is completely carried by the online multiplayer.

Halo, Madden and Call of Duty get away with it, and they're horrible enough as it is. I don't want to see more game franchises get away with re-hashing their first games with next to no additions.

If it sells well then and gets a sequel, then Activison will demand some inventive new feature on the new CoD to make it more interesting, and then EA does the same for the next MoH. If it does not sell well then CoD can keep being the same game because it doesn't need to outsell anything else.

Honestly though, why in fucks name would you buy it?

Zenode:

Charcharo:

You mean the war in afghanistan....cant really think of many shooters that have encompassed that recently.

I for one am getting it, they seem to have put a lot of work into it, yes the MP seemed a little too similar to BC2 but i liked the overall feel of it since it came down to teamwork to win a game not just LOLOLOLOLZ SPAM TUBEZ!!!!!!!

I never said it can't be a good game but it just costs a lot. You see the average PC game (50$) will be expensive here. But for some reason a console game (or a 60$ PC game) will cost 2 times that.
Thats the reason no one plays on consoles in Eastern Europe. Too damned expensive. And it seems after MW2 many PC games will follow this trend.

DominicxD:
Honestly though, why in fucks name would you buy it?

Because your coocoo for coco puffs...

I'm not holding my breath. It just looks so...bleh. Not to mention the far better looking Black Ops comes out soon after.

I'll be surprised if it passes the 1.5 mark.

The Great JT:

I have an idea. You do that, and everyone who wants the support a Call of Duty competitor, won't.

I don't get this. They know that COD is a juggernaught and will wipe the floors with MOH in terms of sales. FPS' are games that live and die by their online multiplayer and most people that play them will wait and get what is the sure thing in the new COD since they know there will be plenty of people playing it.

EA should've either put it out six months ago or wait until the hype dies down from COD before giving ultimatums about the series. It's just bad business to put out what is considered a weaker version of something around the same time that the industry leader puts out their version.

I don't play many if any FPS, but if I did it would be Medal of Honor since the original PS1 game is the only FPS I ever played to completion and actually replayed after that. It just kind of sucks that they are pretty much signing it's death warrant by releasing it at the same time as COD.

Hopefully all the bad press its getting and the fact it's trying to be banned will spur the public to buy it because it's 'Taboo'

I always kinda like this series. I'm not really a FPS guy either.

Tiswas:
Hopefully all the bad press its getting and the fact it's trying to be banned will spur the public to buy it because it's 'Taboo'.

Worked for Dogma. Free publicity does wonders. Medal of Honor is getting bad press, however, its no No Russian..

The Great JT:

Innovation is irrelevent to me. All I care about is if it's fun to play. If you have something new that is is fun then by all means make a game out of it, but don't innovate just for the sake of doing something different. Just look at the Wii.

Andy Chalk:
explained one consultant, who went by the name of Coop.

Am I the only one who thought Arma 2?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or