Columbia Donkey Kong Prank Cancelled

Columbia Donkey Kong Prank Cancelled

An elaborate plan to transform a student center at Columbia University into a Donkey Kong level has been cancelled after the pranksters lost their nerve.

"Project Miyamoto" was a prank so grand that it required hundreds of dollars worth of materials, money that the project's masterminds turned to the internet to try and raise. But just days after the call went out for donations, the project has been cancelled over concerns that it couldn't be pulled off safely.

A message sent out by "AronSora" - the student that originally had the idea - to those who had pledged money said that the plan was getting too risky and he was calling it off. He added that he was worried that rolling barrels down the building's glass ramps would damage them, and the person dressed as Donkey Kong would hurt himself lifting the barrels over his head. He thanked everyone for supporting the project and for reminding him how "amazing teh intertubes are."

The site used to gather the donations doesn't take any money until the funding target is reached - which the project didn't manage - so no one is going to be out of pocket and no one will have to wait for a refund. AronSora said that the prank might be revisited in the future, but that right now, he couldn't pull it off in a safe, non-damaging and most importantly, stealthy way.

Source: Kotaku

Logan Westbrook:
but that right now, he couldn't pull it off in a safe, non-damaging and most importantly, stealthy way.

He announced it on the internet, and a large amount of the student body knew what was going on.

So essentially this will never happen until you devise a means to make some one die if they break a promise, and communicate telepathically.

Huh.

Well, I hope those who donated the money get their funds back or else I'd be pissed.

Straying Bullet:
Well, I hope those who donated the money get their funds back or else I'd be pissed.

Logan Westbrook:

The site used to gather the donations doesn't take any money until the funding target is reached - which the project didn't manage - so no one is going to be out of pocket and no one will have to wait for a refund. AronSora said that the prank might be revisited in the future, but that right now, he couldn't pull it off in a safe, non-damaging and most importantly, stealthy way.

You didn't read it very thoroughly did you?

OT: This would have been really funny to see. Shame it got cancelled. Safety first I suppose.

Yeah, when I saw the article title I was wondering how it could be considered a prank. It's not a good prank if you have to tell everyone about it in order to get funds.

Stupid health and saftey, always ruining the fun!

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Curse you physics and logic!

tomtom94:

Damn Physics always messin' with my Homies.....

OT: This is a shame, The world is in need of a good Gaming prank.

A true pankster doesn't care what damage he does to himself or others.

BlueHighwind:
A true pankster doesn't care what damage he does to himself or others.

"Pankster" is a typo. You probably meant to type "sociopath".

what kinda barrels was he going to use? why not use foam or bulsa wood?

this guy isn't very creative.

Good. It sounded stupid to begin with.

Straying Bullet:

Did you even read the article?

Really, the reasons this guy raises sound more like he got cold feet.

Um. So the story is that nothing happened?

Milo Windby:

rees263:

Logan Westbrook:
Coumbia Donkey Kong Prank Cancelled

So where is this Coumbia?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columbia_University

Google + Wiki = Best friend for info.

He was being sarcastic about the typo. I dunno, grammer nazi's always seem so snotty to me.

Well glass doesn't sound like a good surface to roll things on to begin with. I'm guessing there's a structure at Columbia University made of glass that resembles a DK lvl which inspired the idea.

All things considered, though, it is silly to get cold feet. Heck, the japanese pull this kind of stuff off all the time and get their asses kicked.

TsunamiWombat:

Milo Windby:

rees263:

Logan Westbrook:
Coumbia Donkey Kong Prank Cancelled

So where is this Coumbia?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columbia_University

Google + Wiki = Best friend for info.

He was being sarcastic about the typo. I dunno, grammer nazi's always seem so snotty to me.

Ah well, at least someone got it. Of course now that the typo's been corrected I look a bit dumb...

dududf:

Logan Westbrook:
but that right now, he couldn't pull it off in a safe, non-damaging and most importantly, stealthy way.

He announced it on the internet, and a large amount of the student body knew what was going on.

So essentially this will never happen until you devise a means to make some one die if they break a promise, and communicate telepathically.

Huh.

Thought the exact same thing when I read it. Once your idea for a prank finds it's way to a magazine, you know you failed the stealth aspect of it.

Electrogecko:

dududf:

Logan Westbrook:

Huh.

Thought the exact same thing when I read it. Once your idea for a prank finds it's way to a magazine, you know you failed the stealth aspect of it.

Which could be why he's announcing he has cancelled it? Making everyone think the prank has been cancelled until BAM!, Donkey Kong is in the student center.

This would have been awesome. It could have been gaming's great monument. (exagerating? yes, but still, it would be awesome.) But I can kinda see the reason why he didn't do it. But that still doesn't make this any more of a disapointment.

Logan Westbrook:
the person dressed as Donkey Kong would hurt himself lifting the barrels over his head.

0_O

*Sigh* a pity - this would have been really cool......ah well.

Well, it's a shame this was canceled. I don't see why they couldn't have used foamto make the barrels though (or cardboard, or whatever, they didn't have to be *real* barrels). That would've made them safe to lift, and they wouldn't have damaged the building's "glass ramps", right?

Well that's what you get when you announce it on the internet. Next time, a little secrecy would've been a bit more expedient, don't you think?

Avayu:
Really, the reasons this guy raises sound more like he got cold feet.

Hmm..

Pussy out! Like a boss

:)

WINDOWCLEAN2:

tomtom94:

Uh-huh. So look up "live Pacman" on YouTube. Then tell me if you're still awake after the first two hundred or so "hits".

<rant> This world does NOT need another gaming prank. This world needs a universal cancer cure or a clean cheap plentiful source of renewable energy. And instead of making this happen, people like us are sitting in our underwear in front of our computers posting on gaming forums and watching pranks on YouTube.

This is why the terrorists hate us. </rant>

On a related subject, wouldn't it be nice if there actually WERE "rant" tags?

What a pity. We need more gaming pranks! I will try out if some of my friends to pull a Pac man prank here.

Polystyrene.

TheMadDoctorsCat:

WINDOWCLEAN2:

tomtom94:

Uh-huh. So look up "live Pacman" on YouTube. Then tell me if you're still awake after the first two hundred or so "hits".

<rant> This world does NOT need another gaming prank. This world needs a universal cancer cure or a clean cheap plentiful source of renewable energy. And instead of making this happen, people like us are sitting in our underwear in front of our computers posting on gaming forums and watching pranks on YouTube.

Seriously......Wha?

How have you brought ANYTHING into this thread?? Was it necesarry to:

Quote me.
State your opinion on what I said and guilt trip me by mentioning cancer and other problems.
Bring in terrorism for NO REASON.
Claim Terrorists Hate Youtube (For all you know Osama might find that video where that cat does that funny thing highly amusing)

OT: My views still stand, I merley had to express my displeasure at being so rudely involved in one persons rant/mental disability.

How the hell could they have done this stealthily anyway? Even if they could avoid being seen, they posted their plans ALL OVER THE INTERNET in order to raise funds!

WINDOWCLEAN2:

TheMadDoctorsCat:

WINDOWCLEAN2:

tomtom94:

Seriously......Wha?

How have you brought ANYTHING into this thread?? Was it necesarry to:

Quote me.
State your opinion on what I said and guilt trip me by mentioning cancer and other problems.
Bring in terrorism for NO REASON.
Claim Terrorists Hate Youtube (For all you know Osama might find that video where that cat does that funny thing highly amusing)

OT: My views still stand, I merley had to express my displeasure at being so rudely involved in one persons rant/mental disability.

Dude... I was kidding. Really.

I know sarcasm is sometimes difficult to "get" over the Internet, without voice inflexion and all, but did it come off *that* badly?

EDIT: And didn't the "rant" quotes thing clue you in that my "views" might not have been intended to be taken 100% seriously? Given that it's a thread about practical jokes and all?

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here