$45,000 Latest Haul in Eve Online Scheme

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

$45,000 Latest Haul in Eve Online Scheme

An Eve Online player recently revealed his true self by committing one of the game's grandest thefts ever.

Eve Online schemes are nothing new, but they always remain interesting, especially when enormous enough. In one of the biggest thefts to ever hit the game, the leader of the Titans 4 U investment opportunity has stolen and dissolved all of its assets for a cool 850 billion ISK (in-game currency).

To define what this number means, last month a couple of players inadvertently blew up 74 PLEX, an in-game item that can be redeemed for game time, worth 22 billion ISK and about $1295. 850 billion ISK could purchase 2575 PLEX, worth $45,000 according to Massively. That's noticeably more.

Titans 4 U was run by "Bad Bobby" since last summer and was thought to be completely safe against this type of pilfering. As we now know, nothing is ever safe in Eve Online. The investment venture held items such as several valuable in-game blueprint original copies as well as 156 billion ISK. The blueprints were locked down and were only supposed to be released by the vote of five of Titans 4 U's shareholding members, ensuring that Bad Bobby would never be able to get at them by himself with less than 50% of Titans 4 U's shares.

Everything went wrong for investors when Bobby initiated a vote to add more shares and more trustees. This actually ended up providing more shares to Bobby, not to new trustees, and he now had enough to unlock the Titans 4 U fortune by his lonesome. Billions of investors' ISK were now in the hands of Bad Bobby.

Massively calculates that 850 billion ISK would be able to keep an Eve Online account running for 214 years when used to buy PLEX. I've never played Eve Online myself, but it truly sounds like an awesome game to play if you want the experience of embezzling billions, without any real world consequences.

Source: Massively

I would never trust someone called 'Bad Bobby' with my money, that's for sure.

Arachon:

I would never trust someone foolish enough to play EVE Online.

You buy PLEX, which are now items. Which can be stolen ingame.

So you can literally have you RL cash, in this digital form, maliciously taken from you.

Only an idiot puts themselves in this situation.

Here's the thing with Eve. The game's so bleedin' dull that these metagame events are the only interesting thing that ever happens in it.

All this guy needs to do now is sell the ISK for real world currency (like the guy that made his mortgage downpayment from an Eve scam) and he's done.

I always love reading about EVE online schemes.

This sounds like the best game ever...I totally want to start playing it.

A great time for all fraudsters!!

EVE Online: Its not your reflexes or your equipment that matter, its your accounting skills :) I tried to get into EVE, but it was too damn scary. Well done to this guy though as the other shareholders really deserve what they got if they didn't see it coming.

jasoncyrus:

Or a rich person that has nothing better to do. Although I suspect that there aren't a lot of people like that.

OT: I don't know if I should laugh and praise Bad Bobby, or to feel sad for those other people.

*Clap clap clap*

Well played.

Ah Eve Online, you are so much more interesting to read about than to actually play.

jasoncyrus:

So you can literally have you RL cash, in this digital form, maliciously taken from you.

Seriously, why would anyone do this?

I saw one of the offical eve trailers recently (I don't think it was new) and it had a similar plan laid out. Although said plan was about inflitrating an enemy corporation, stealing its loot and dissolving it.

Gloating Swine hit the nail on the head. You hear all these amazing stories of what goes on in game, but the game is just so dull.

Don't trust a Bobby ain't it right infinity ward?

jasoncyrus:

Arachon:

EVE is a game no more no less, it's not foolish in and of itself to play.

The person you should never trust is a person foolish enough to consider ISK as 'real' money or saves their money as PLEX. Most eve online players pay to play and occasionally redeem PLEX.

Just because you can have your money there doesn't mean you should, it's still a game and one in which political backstabbing is a fair mechanism.
You wouldn't seriously invest your money in a nation that ran allowed unregulated business, but you may dabble in it's economy.

jasoncyrus:

Arachon:

No not really. That's a common mistake made by those who just read news feeds about Eve tho.

See, most people that actually want to use PLEXes instead real money for their game time just buy it and redeem it right away. No one can steal it from you if you use it. They are however treated as every other item if you use them as a form of in game currency just like in real life we use gold bars for example or bank bonds. If someone decides to use them in such way, they take the risk.

I suggest you guys actually read the story at Massively, this post REALLY doesn't do it justice. I have to agree with those who say it is more interesting to read about than play.

I have gotten 4 weeks in 3 times now and each time I am running full pelt into a brick wall.

I spent more time reading about EVE than playing it even when playing it

Bretty:
I suggest you guys actually read the story at Massively, this post REALLY doesn't do it justice. I have to agree with those who say it is more interesting to read about than play.

I have gotten 4 weeks in 3 times now and each time I am running full pelt into a brick wall.

There is actually an Eve-Online magazine for that.

Unrulyhandbag:

The person you should never trust is a person foolish enough to consider ISK as 'real' money or saves their money as PLEX. Most eve online players pay to play and occasionally redeem PLEX.

Just because you can have your money there doesn't mean you should, it's still a game and one in which political backstabbing is a fair mechanism.
You wouldn't seriously invest your money in a nation that ran allowed unregulated business, but you may dabble in it's economy.

Keava:

No not really. That's a common mistake made by those who just read news feeds about Eve tho.

See, most people that actually want to use PLEXes instead real money for their game time just buy it and redeem it right away. No one can steal it from you if you use it. They are however treated as every other item if you use them as a form of in game currency just like in real life we use gold bars for example or bank bonds. If someone decides to use them in such way, they take the risk.

Except that ISK is exchangeable for services that cost real-life money, so economically speaking ISK is worth real money.

Now, I imagine for the majority of players the risk is completely manageable (since they probably don't have much money in game). However, for those that pass a certain point, getting a ship stolen/destroyed could be the equivalent of losing $50, $100, or even $1000. Once you're dealing with those sort of numbers you have to question why the players don't just "cash out" as opposed to accumulating more and more in-game assets (and therefore risk).

And this is why I don't play EVE. Apart from not having the money. But maybe if I embezzle the money in EVE I can have enough money to play EVE. But first I would need to get the money to play EVE to embezzle funds in EVE to get to play EVE. I'll probably have to embezzle some funds in an infinite loop.

jasoncyrus:

Arachon:

Oh wow! I've only ever tampered with EVE online for about... a half hour before I got bored, so I never knew how the system really worked, and, I must say, wow that doesn't sound like a very safe investment at all... -,-;

This is a great set of evidence for John Gabriel's Greater Internet Fuckwad Theory.

well any mmo's currency can be translated into real world currency really it just even makes it easy with plex having a real world value and in game value so it is easy math.

vs other mmos where it is about how much gold or whatever you can make an hour vs your sub cost etc.

I don't understand what happened :\

It's always such a treat when things go awry in EVE. I'd be very compelled to play this game if after doing some research about it I wasn't 99% sure if you weren't around at its launch you won't accomplish jack squat.

Well played BadBobby, you win the evil genius award this month. The prize is a fully staffed and functioning volcanic lair complete with shark tank to drop people into.

Oh EVE Online! I don't think there's any other MMO in existence in which such shenanigans are possible.

boholikeu:

Unrulyhandbag:

Keava:

Except that ISK is exchangeable for services that cost real-life money, so economically speaking ISK is worth real money.

Now, I imagine for the majority of players the risk is completely manageable (since they probably don't have much money in game). However, for those that pass a certain point, getting a ship stolen/destroyed could be the equivalent of losing $50, $100, or even $1000. Once you're dealing with those sort of numbers you have to question why the players don't just "cash out" as opposed to accumulating more and more in-game assets (and therefore risk).

Well, they can't really "cash out", as you say. When they say "$45,000" of EVE Online assets stolen, they're just comparing the monetary value of game time (PLEX) to the in-game money value of the assets stolen. X Cost of subscription for certain amount of time in IRL Money = Y number of PLEX for equivalent game time = Z Value in in-game currency.

In other words, you can compare the value of in-game assets to real-world money, but there's no mechanism in place to exchange in-game assets for real-world money.

Good thing for the guy implicated in this heist. If you COULD exchange EVE stuff for real money, he could be probably be brought up on grand larceny charges.

Eve continues to be more interesting to read then play.

But seriously, what fool puts themselves in this situation?

boholikeu:

What do you mean cash out? You can't change ISK to real money. You can change ISK to game time. Those are two different things. Sure, since game time can also be bought for real money you could call it ISK - > dollars exchange but it doesn't work quite like that. It's a one side transfer only. You can change your real money for ISK, but you can't change ISK for real money.

Only game that allowed cash-outs was Second Life, but that's hardly a game, more of a virtual gallery/marketplace. Other option involves breaking the EULA and ebaying your account, but then such account can be deleted/banned/wiped.
My WoW account at the time i quit the game was worth probably hundreds of dollars considering the top tier gear, pvp ratings, etc. i had, but if someone would hack that account and steal all my gold, would it mean i lost real money?

THIS is why EVE Online is the best MMORPG available right now. In what other such game can you so gloriously rip off other players?

I love reading about all the stuff that happens in EVE. I never play MMOs, let alone one known for insane complexity like EVE, but it's still fun to hear.

lol that is actually awesome

Bobby, huh? The evil business-man Bad Bobby...I wonder where I've heard that one before.

Arachon:

But that's my lawyers name.

Hearing stories like this does make me want to play this game. The one thing holding me off: the monthly fee.

A buddy of mine loves this game and I can see why.

One of many such thefts. The game steals time from you ... the players steal whatever is left. I give that game maybe 5 years before people start really killing eachother over it.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here