Rumor: Valkyria Chronicles 3 Confirmed By Image Extension Switch

Rumor: Valkyria Chronicles 3 Confirmed By Image Extension Switch

The third Valkyria Chronicles game is believed to be coming to the Tokyo Game Show thanks to a Sega slip-up.

Ah, the enterprising ways of internet users. Chances are if something's out there, someone will figure out how to come across it. In the case of a Valkyria Chronicles 3 reveal, it required swapping the image file extension of Sega's Tokyo Game Show schedule from the GIF version to the JPEG. While one had no indication of a new game, the other did.

Looking at Sega's TGS 2010 website shows an image of the company's plans for the event, which runs from September 16-19. But while the website shows the GIF version (an image format) of the schedule, someone decided to try viewing the image with the JPEG extension instead, and it was a bit different.

On the GIF, the schedule has multiple slots where it says "Coming Soon." On the JPEG, that slot is instead filled with "Valkyria Chronicles 3: Voice Actor Announcement and Game Presentation." The third in Sega's anime-styled alternate-dimension World War II tactical strategy series had not been previously announced. Yeah, it's all of those things.

Valkyria Chronicles 3 was hinted at by this teaser website which stated that its secrets would not be revealed until September 16, or the start of the Tokyo Game Show. It was assured that this website was for something related to Valkyria Chronicles, as it has the series' characters (and a tank) plastered all over it, but exactly what it would be was unknown. Now we know, almost for sure, unless the image extension swap is just some sort of strange trick by Sega (which is possible, hence the rumor label).

Valkyria Chronicles 2 was recently released for the PSP in North America on August 31, seven months after its Japanese debut. The original game came out on the PlayStation 3 in November 2008. There doesn't appear to be any indication of the system Valkyria Chronicles 3 will be coming to, but here's to hoping that Sega beautifies the game up for another go in HD on the PlayStation 3, and perhaps the Xbox 360 as well.

Source: Andriasang

Yay! Happy news! :D

Leave it here for a while, I want to absorb the positivity.

OT: This is cool. I played the first one, and while it wasn't perfect it seemed fitting that the series turned towards the PSP. I can't wait for the announcement and the cheering crowds that await it.

Calumon: Yay, we're happy here!

It's a bit too early to make assumptions but this series definitely deserves a new sequel. Hopefuly some of the gameplay issues that Yahtzee pointed willbe addressed, like how other allied units are ignored in faviur of who you're controling.

Wahey! Another Valkyria, please please come out on the PS3, enjoying the first one thoroughly at the moment.

Also had no idea there was a second one released, will have to look into it now.

Darrrn, I'll have to pick up 2 sooner than I planned if 3 is already on the way. ><

I've never played this game but from what I've seen of it, seems they should re-make Xcom in a similar vein.

Be on the PS3 and please re-release VC1 on the PSN or something. I missed out on the first one D:

Also at this point in time it seems like they have removed the .JPEG version

I hope it's a prequel taking place in EWI. I would love to play as Welkin's father.

Must be prelude....oh well I hope it comes to the xbox!

I'm definitely on board.
VC1 was one of the best strategy games to ever work on a console. I'm surprised that kind of SRPG format hasn't been tried by other Ips (it would make a cool 40k game). Hopefully it will show up on the 360 too because it's just too unique to be exclusive.

this is probly my favorite new franchise out right now. its a blast to play with enough challange to make you think but not be frustrating. its amazing. the fact its an exclusive in this day of age is interesting, i own a ps3 and my bro an xbox so we are not really effected by exclusives

Nice! Well, its a good slip up as I now havesomething to look forward to~!

please be for the ps3, please be for the ps3... >_<

A sequel on the PS3 would be great.

icyneesan:
Be on the PS3 and please re-release VC1 on the PSN or something. I missed out on the first one D:

Why don't you just order a copy of the first game? Amazon should be able to mail you a package wherever you may be.

ryukage_sama:
A sequel on the PS3 would be great.

icyneesan:

Why don't you just order a copy of the first game? Amazon should be able to mail you a package wherever you may be.

Because I have $40 in my PSN wallet and no money/credit card in the real world :P

For you folks who were hoping the series 3rd game would return to HD glory on the PS3, think again:

First image confirms it, series will be continuing on the PSP. Sucks for PS3 owners, I though the PSP just got lucky with VC2 but I guess it will be the series home for now.

I'm fine with it staying on the PSP. I think the way they've mixed Persona and VC to get VC2 works great on the PSP. The only knock I've got on VC2 is that Avan Hardins is a terrible character, with so much stupidity that drives me insane.

All in all, good news. VC is the best console strategy series this gen, and with the class refinements that came with VC2 (the additions of the APC for increased mobility, highly customizable armor, and the gunner class to limit the run-at-them tactic), I'm looking forward to VC3. Just wished that the characters are a tad bit deeper than the shallow one-minded idiots that half of the VC2 cast are.

GonzoGamer:
I'm definitely on board.
VC1 was one of the best strategy games to ever work on a console. I'm surprised that kind of SRPG format hasn't been tried by other Ips (it would make a cool 40k game). Hopefully it will show up on the 360 too because it's just too unique to be exclusive.

Highly unlikely that this is going to happen. Firstly, VC is a Japanese game designed for the Japanese market, and the crappy North American sales numbers back that up. With the PS3 dominating the X360 in Japan, there's very little incentive for Sega to port this to X360. Secondly, VC got started when Sony basically commissioned the game from Sega, so it's likely that they had some kind of deal to keep it Sony exclusive.

Pingieking:
snip

Well judging by the little story details given, it may have the potential to be better than VC2s story and just as good if not better than VC1s story:

- Set in the same period as Valkyria 1.
- Key characters all new.
- Focuses around a group called the Nameless which are a penal battalion, the Japanese definition according to Wikipedia is "Special group in the army composed of deserters and other military offenders. In the broader sense it doesn't have to be military offenders, and can be composed of general criminals as well. These units are often given dangerous or unpleasant missions such as the burying of corpses or the removal of land mines."

I haven't played VC2 yet, plan on picking it up after I finish Birth By Sleep, but I have been told the story isn't as good as the first. On the up side it's been said to have better game play than the first which is cool and I enjoyed the demo. I can forgive the story as long as it isn't truly horrible, but the whole military academy setting did sound like the wrong direction. Oh well, I'm sure I'll still enjoy it when I get around to it.

I enjoyed the first a ton, this is awesome news (console depending of course).

Any one hoping for more Jann as much as me?

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here