California Police Issue Safety Warning About Pedobear

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

California Police Issue Safety Warning About Pedobear

Police are warning parents to look out for the new pedophile mascot: internet meme Pedobear.

Pedobear is an image of a cartoon bear that forum users often use to humorously express the creepiness of another person's online behavior. It's become a well-known meme, so well known in fact that California police have issued a safety warning to the public about the "innocent menace" that Pedobear represents.

A public safety information bulletin issued by the San Luis Obispo County Police indicates that they're somewhat aware that Pedobear is a meme, but they still seem to be taking it pretty seriously. They say that Pedobear's "cute face and non-threatening appearance negate the truth of his sinister, much darker side."

The bulletin goes on to read: "One of the things that makes Pedobear popular is the controversy surrounding his licentious love of little girls. Pedobear is and should be associated with the internet and pedophiles/sexually-preferential offenders who reportedly use him to communicate their interests in young children to each other."

It then details an occurrence that saw a man dressed as Pedobear at the San Diego Comic Con banned from the event, simply for handing out candy and being dressed as the meme. Due to photos police saw of children photographed with Pedobear, the police say: "Disguised as innocence, this underground community that would make victims of our children teasingly reaches out into the light of day."

Despite police thinking that Pedobear's presence, say as a decal on a car windshield, "may be an indicator of the presence of individuals who have a predilection to sexually inappropriate, or even assaultive behavior," it's really just a silly joke. Warning people about what Pedobear is associated with is one thing, but police have chalked the meme up to a mascot for pedophiles, which it isn't. Someone with Pedobear on their car is probably at worst a forum troll, and though forum trolls are annoying - really, really annoying - they aren't going to harm your child. As far as internet memes go, I can think of a lot worse, including one that involves a cup and two friends.

Source: Gawker

PALM TO THE FACE.

Really? ITS A MEME. 4CHAN USES IT TO TROLL PEOPLE.

....and it's working apparently. I don't know whether I should congratulate anon or not.

The police forgot to mention that pedobear is also a master of disguise.

what's wrong with California first it's restricting the sale of games now it's this...

Did they mention his bitter rivalry with Chris Hansen?

Hey kids, there's free candy!
Where?!?!?
In that van! Hurry it might drive away!
*Zerg rush.*

Logic 0:

http://verydemotivational.com/2010/09/07/demotivational-posters-pedobear-3/

couldn't resist XD

*sigh* Does anyone know how to tie a noose? This makes me want to not live

To be fair, how would you explain Pedobear to someone whose not savvy with internet culture? "Okay, see, the bear is used to represent raping children. But see...it's a joke...except it does refer to people being creepy, up to and including in a pedophilic way, but its just dealing with the humorous aspect...of that...and even though these people will say that it is the Mascot for Pedophilia, they are joking and...and...

Fuck it. It's the Mascot of Pedophilia. Why the hell should I help 4chan members not be misunderstood?

Another misinterpreted culture fad.

Lets just hope my sister never hears of this... My niece and nephew love the plush toy I sent them.

Oh yes. They are real. And they are awesome!

Link to plush
12" Pedobear Plush Doll
It's Pedobear, the Pedestrian Bear! See him walk! Running bear!
He marches, determined! Where is he going? To YOUR home! NOW!

I can understand the concern. Just because pedo bear isn't intented to be some kind of sign for pedos to know each other, doesn't mean he couldn't become something like that or even already be used as one.

I for one rather am too concerned about that, rather than having any child fall victim to it.

When flying first was inveted, people thougth it would make war obsolete, since everybody would see any army approach. Nobody thougt about throwing nuclear bombs out of planes.

Holy shit! I just replied to a thread about this same exact thing on 4Chan.

I guess this goes to show that once again, we Calis shoot first and ask questions later. Oh wait, we can't because of gun laws we made in the same vein.

benbenthegamerman:

Logic 0:

couldn't resist XD

lol, awesome xD

OT: Seriously, internet meme stamped as criminal now, so how long until pedobear is the nr.1 most wanted on FBIs' list?

off-topic: Protect the bear, bears are harmless, fuzzy creatures, if you see one, run up-close and hug it!

Judas Iscariot:
Lets just hope my sister never hears of this... My niece and nephew love the plush toy I sent them.

I want one!!
I'm also gonna add some of those suction cup things to its paws and groin, and have it stuck to side window of my car!

Then I'm gonna make a beeline through every major Californian road!

I burst out laughing when I got to "cute face and non-threatening appearance negate the truth of his sinister, much darker side." This is absolutely hilarious.

On the other hand I guess we had better be more careful now about what memes we use in real life

Oh yes because real child predators have been waiting all theses years for a proper mascot to announcing to the public their intentions to rape children. Unless its some kind of reverse psychology.

Cop: "Oh if he's got pedobear on his car he can't POSSIBLY be a real pedophile, no one would be THAT stupid"

Guy in car: "Just as planned...." DUN DUN DUN

The mainstream media really need to get a grip on how the internet works, or just stop reporting on things related to it because they keep making fools of themselves.

Ah police and their backward way of preventing crime...

Well, at least now he won't manage to sneak in and hide among the Olympic mascots ^^

Judas Iscariot:

You are sending cute, yet sinister kid-raping bears to your sister's offsprings? You, sir, are my hero. And a troll. You's trollin'!

Still, I'm shocked. First the Californian public is apparently all for the gaming restrictions, now they fear pedobear. Is it the sun or...?

Timotei:
Holy shit! I just replied to a thread about this same exact thing on 4Chan.

I guess this goes to show that once again, we Calis shoot first and ask questions later. Oh wait, we can't because of gun laws we made in the same vein.

same with me on Funnyjunk.

BYW: yay Konata

Hahaha really? This is a cartoon. People use it so liberally they'd have to arrest half the fucking Internet.

benbenthegamerman:

Logic 0:

couldn't resist XD

Awesome.....this was just awesome
OT: Seriously though...maybe the california police should be putting out notice on Pokemon too, since I've seen that used in forums along the same lines....sigh. This article made me hurt inside my brain

Can we PLEASE make California secede from the United States? All the BS seems to be coming from there. We can let them be there own silly little country.

I love, love, LOVE this overreaction from the CA police, because it means some idiot /b/tard is going to be harassed and driven to distraction by some cop, and I'm always in favor of /b/tards getting shit on by society at large. Not only is it sweet justice for their asshole behavior on the Internet, it also tends to piss them off, driving them to greater feats of humorous hey-look-at-me stupidity, reinforcing the stereotype and starting the cycle (and the comedy) afresh.

Lawl they recognize pedo bear as a national threat omg =D. I guess the state of California has finally proven the existence of pedo bear (first he was a meme and now he comes to real life. Gg california police I laugh at you =P)

benbenthegamerman:

Logic 0:

couldn't resist XD

I fell out of my chair laughing LOL. Nice find!

When I went to PAX this year (Prime-2010, my first PAX) I saw some asshole dressed up as pedobear right outside they where they check your badges after you get up the escalators. There was what looked like a fully grown women dressed to look like a little girl posing by him and a bunch of people standing around taking pictures. I was walking past the badge checkers (showing them my three-day pass, of course), one of them, an older woman maybe in her 70s or so was looking at pedobear. I swear to God this is true, I overheard her talking to another WA States convention center employee saying

"...I don't know either, they seem to think it's funny..."

I actually think that it's not funny and really stupid. I get that it's a reference to the 404 error pages of The Website That Will Not Be Named, but there's really nothing amusing about the reference itself besides the pure shock value, which gets old fast. I think what that guy did at the Comic-con is totally wrong because those kids are going to be really creeped out by those photos of them with pedobear when they are old enough to understand it.

EDIT: Further thoughts:

I do find it kind of ironic that California has more pedo bears than grizzly bears, despite the latter being on our state's goddamn flag. In case you don't know, hunters killed off all the grizzlies more than a century ago, and what was once the symbol of our state's greatness is now extinct here. Whoops.

EDIT X2: I found pictures of the PAX pedobear I saw:

Da police be trollin.

I needed a good laugh like this today. Thank you California police, thank you for making me laugh.

night_chrono:
Did they mention his bitter rivalry with Chris Hansen?

What are you talking about they're the best of friends...

Edit: Most excellent response in the actual article page:

Folks, watch out for this dangerous arsonist. He shows up wherever forest fires are common.

AW come on Cali! It's bad enough you have to rub the Lakers and your crapload of beaches in our faces, but now you have to police the internet and seek to let the government play babysitter when it comes to video games?

Judas Iscariot:

Link to plush
12" Pedobear Plush Doll

And this is an exact example of how Pedobear is used as a comedy prop.
Deeply twisted "humor," but as much as I don't like it, I don't see any pedophilia here.

Still, a pedobear bumpersticker is a likely "Anti-date" sign...

Sacman:
what's wrong with California first it's restricting the sale of games now it's this...

??? wut?
i can't see.
wait.
pic.phyrefile.com/n/na/narf/2010/06/14/facepalm.jpg
oh.

anyway, i love pedobear! so funny...

Judas Iscariot:

Link to plush
12" Pedobear Plush Doll

This thread keeps getting better and better

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or